In or Out?

by genome » 27 Sep 2017 09:23

Right, let's get some numbers.

Do you think Stam should go, or stay?

The Reverend

Re: In or Out?

by The Reverend » 27 Sep 2017 09:30

Stay*

Let's get Barrow and Kermorgant back, or sign another striker in the January window and then judge.

*Unless he keeps playing McLeary up front

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 27 Sep 2017 09:35

Stay, for now. If we're in a mess come December then he'll have to face facts.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2017 09:40

yeah stay for this calendar year. Earned the chance to turn things round

I'll start to lose patience with him pretty quickly if he keeps picking that front 3 and Joey and Edwards in CM though

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Sep 2017 09:41

We need to give him more time when the injuries start to recede, but his selections at the moment are baffling to say the least, if we a flirting with relegation around Christmas time then it`s bye Jaap.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Sep 2017 09:46

Hound yeah stay for this calendar year. Earned the chance to turn things round

I would agree with this in principle. He's earned the chance.

However, we have four games coming up that we could easily get nothing from, and if the football is as turgid as it has been recently, I think the discontent from the fans will be too loud.

Normally, I'm quite upbeat and positive about affairs on here, so I think it speaks volumes that I'm struggling to see anything right now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Sep 2017 09:47

100% stay.
1. He still has some good will left to burn.
2. ANY manager we bring in now would be so handicapped by the fragmented squad and change in tactics they would be doomed to fail.
3. Not many realistic candidates spring to mind.

I think the main problem for me is Stams refusal to publicly address issues. He's using the moronic section of the fan base, who over-react to everything, to justify our poor performances.
"Its not my fault the fans expected us to win the league"
In reality most of us expect continuity from last season. I would take defeats on the chin if we actually looked like we ever had a hope of winning.

The grounded section of the fan base will rightly feel annoyed by his comments as we don't expect the world and to defend the dire football on display by saying our expectations were too high is a kick in the teeth and every time he says it he moves closer to the door.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2017 09:54

the main concern for me is that we are regressing rather than progressing. I was very optimistic after Villa and Brum that we had found the right balance, and a little tweaking and we'd be right up there. The Villa game was up there with the most enjoyable performances of the last 3-4 years. Thought that was Stam implementing his 'philosophy', and we were in for a successful and entertaining season.

For me, Stam has dropped the wrong players (Evans, Kelly, Popa) and replaced them with pedestrian players (Edwards, Joey, Beerens, Aluko, McCleary) who have upset the balance of side

After Norwich, there is a good chance we'll be able to pick from our full squad. If we still pick the 11 we have in the last couple of games, will lose faith pretty quickly

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Sep 2017 10:08

In- at least until December. The problem for Stam is after the Narch game we have the month from Hell. If he doesn't start picking up points soon I can't see him lasting much longer in this itchy trigger finger modern football world...

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Sep 2017 10:27

Stodhard14 As Rodgers was sacked by December in his first season in charge and given that Stam is in his 2nd season, should he be given until December? Or if results don't improve imminently, should he be gone sooner?

If results don't improve he may well be gone sooner was what I was going for. Just think he deserves a bit longer after last season.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Sep 2017 10:28

Im in two minds.......the way we are regressing suggests if this goes on there will be no way back for this team and we could well be in big big trouble. This team isn't as talented as the team Bodgers had and I think wont bounce back as quickly. But that's not to say it isn't talented. I want to give him till Christmas and review, but our performances away are just so poor that even at home we are now just as awful. If we were losing in an unlucky manner and playing fine I wouldn't mind.
His comments were damaging last week and, like Clarke at Fulham, I don't see a way back. As Ive said a zillion times, his oversight of a predator/striker up front when the money was there is a massive, massive amateurish mistake, and last night just showed that. I like the Bov but he isn't that type of striker that we have needed for the sometime now.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Sep 2017 10:29

Stodhard14 As Rodgers was sacked by December in his first season in charge and given that Stam is in his 2nd season, should he be given until December? Or if results don't improve imminently, should he be gone sooner?

I would guess that if we get zero points from the next 4 games (and that's entirely plausible) somebody upstairs maybe getting an itchy finger on the trigger.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Sep 2017 10:33

Ascotexgunner Im in two minds.......the way we are regressing suggests if this goes on there will be no way back for this team and we could well be in big big trouble. This team isn't as talented as the team Bodgers had and I think wont bounce back as quickly. But that's not to say it isn't talented. I want to give him till Christmas and review, but our performances away are just so poor that even at home we are now just as awful. If we were losing in an unlucky manner and playing fine I wouldn't mind.
His comments were damaging last week and, like Clarke at Fulham, I don't see a way back. As Ive said a zillion times, his oversight of a predator/striker up front when the money was there is a massive, massive amateurish mistake, and last night just showed that. I like the Bov but he isn't that type of striker that we have needed for the sometime now.

It was pointed out to me on Saturday that a striker should have been the number 1 target in the summer, then any cash left over go and cream it on midfielders and wingers.
Early days I know but Edwards and Aluko look very underwhelming so far.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Sep 2017 10:35

windermereROYAL wrote: itchy finger on the trigger.

Oi! get your own material! :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2017 10:36

It's getting to the point where you struggle to see a turnaround (once players get in a fragile mental state and losing habit there's not a lot even good managers or the return of key players can do), but it is far too early for this chat.

It already looks like we have to write this season off, but as long as we're not cut adrift in the zone, then last season, the injuries and the difficulty getting a goalscorer in the summer mean Stam should get another 12 months if he wants it.

But I wouldn't be surprised if things don't significantly improve and he goes sometime between December 10th and March 10th.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Sep 2017 10:40

Snowflake Royal It's getting to the point where you struggle to see a turnaround (once players get in a fragile mental state and losing habit there's not a lot even good managers or the return of key players can do), but it is far too early for this chat.

It already looks like we have to write this season off, but as long as we're not cut adrift in the zone, then last season, the injuries and the difficulty getting a goalscorer in the summer mean Stam should get another 12 months if he wants it.

But I wouldn't be surprised if things don't significantly improve and he goes sometime between December 10th and March 10th.

That's pretty specific. Why those dates?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2017 10:44

I know the next round of fixtures look hard, but we thought this lot looked easy and got fuk all. We could well up our game and pick up good points unexpectedly.

The most annoying thing right now is that we haven't really been outplayed in most games. Very few teams have actually had to play well to earn points against us. It'd be easier to take if we'd dropped points to teams who looked any good. But they haven't. They've looked shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2017 10:47

Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal It's getting to the point where you struggle to see a turnaround (once players get in a fragile mental state and losing habit there's not a lot even good managers or the return of key players can do), but it is far too early for this chat.

That's pretty specific. Why those dates?

We don't usually sack anyone until mid-December, after February there's almost no point in bothering - no transfer window, no time to recruit, no time to have an effect in training.

Other than that, just random for the specific dates.

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 27 Sep 2017 10:51

Out

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the players. They are playing the way the manager has told them to - slow, cautious, not prepared to take risks in attack. He does not appear to know how to coach them to attack incisively.

I pay to be entertained, and I haven't been for a long, long time.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Sep 2017 10:53

Stay - however if we continue to under perform during October and November out before start of December.

A change in team selection and tactics are required urgently. I just think he's too stubborn to see that.

We should be refining and improving the way we play, not getting worse.

504 posts