Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: In or Out?

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Oct 2017 19:07

HeinzGuderian
Old Boy Blue I'm in the out camp or if he stays Stam has to very much raise his game this season.
His first mistake was a very much understated pre-season with his behind closed doors games, only one public friendly and in my view he was 2 or 3 games short in bring fully prepared. This was confirmed with a lousy performance at QPR and we have been playing catch up ever since. The loss of Steven Reid was also very concrrning, why didn't Stam give him a new contract when handing them out to his Dutch pals?
Secondly recruitment and forming a well balanced squad has been appalling. Everyone knows we are desperatly short of a goalscorer but we also have no adequate cover/competition for Gunter or Obita. Of the 25 senior players 8 are midfielders and 6 wingers competing for only 5 places between them. If all were fit you would have 9 players peed off with not playing, not good for group morale!
Stam needs to ship 4 of these out in January get 2 full backs and a striker in and loan Mendes out if he is ever fit.
This misbalance in the group has led to confusion in Stams own mind as he chops and changes every game and does not appear to have a clue what his best side is or even which formation to play.
The obsession with possession has led to a team more concerned with not giving the ball away then going out and winning football matches.
Stam has not helped his cause by not playing a striker at all lately despite awful results and has compouned it all by stupid remarks in the press.
It does appear he is safe for now but i hope he uses the International break to have a long hard look at himself and comeback with at least a very spirited performance at Leeds.

Great post in my opinion. Exactly my thoughts. The squad building in the summer was poor. Not needed at all. We needed 3-4 proper first teamers not the amount of players we actually signed.

Agreed too. We should have signed a like for like replacement for Williams. Bacuna was fine as would have been Joe Ledley. But Bacuna doesn't really play...

We needed to sign proper back up to Gunter (what's happened to Tennai Watson?)

If we were struggling to sign a forward, why did we let Samuel go? I know his ability was limited but he'd be ok in this system I think.

Our midfield is unbalanced and over subscribed and are short in important areas. We needed 5-6 quality signings not 7 squad fillers. The team was there and it's somehow been decimated despite maybe £20m invested. Money well wasted

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2017 22:14

Royal_jimmy
HeinzGuderian
Old Boy Blue I'm in the out camp or if he stays Stam has to very much raise his game this season.
His first mistake was a very much understated pre-season with his behind closed doors games, only one public friendly and in my view he was 2 or 3 games short in bring fully prepared. This was confirmed with a lousy performance at QPR and we have been playing catch up ever since. The loss of Steven Reid was also very concrrning, why didn't Stam give him a new contract when handing them out to his Dutch pals?
Secondly recruitment and forming a well balanced squad has been appalling. Everyone knows we are desperatly short of a goalscorer but we also have no adequate cover/competition for Gunter or Obita. Of the 25 senior players 8 are midfielders and 6 wingers competing for only 5 places between them. If all were fit you would have 9 players peed off with not playing, not good for group morale!
Stam needs to ship 4 of these out in January get 2 full backs and a striker in and loan Mendes out if he is ever fit.
This misbalance in the group has led to confusion in Stams own mind as he chops and changes every game and does not appear to have a clue what his best side is or even which formation to play.
The obsession with possession has led to a team more concerned with not giving the ball away then going out and winning football matches.
Stam has not helped his cause by not playing a striker at all lately despite awful results and has compouned it all by stupid remarks in the press.
It does appear he is safe for now but i hope he uses the International break to have a long hard look at himself and comeback with at least a very spirited performance at Leeds.

Great post in my opinion. Exactly my thoughts. The squad building in the summer was poor. Not needed at all. We needed 3-4 proper first teamers not the amount of players we actually signed.

Agreed too. We should have signed a like for like replacement for Williams. Bacuna was fine as would have been Joe Ledley. But Bacuna doesn't really play...

We needed to sign proper back up to Gunter (what's happened to Tennai Watson?)

If we were struggling to sign a forward, why did we let Samuel go? I know his ability was limited but he'd be ok in this system I think.

Our midfield is unbalanced and over subscribed and are short in important areas. We needed 5-6 quality signings not 7 squad fillers. The team was there and it's somehow been decimated despite maybe £20m invested. Money well wasted

Tennai has been injured.

I'd guess we let Samuel and Rakelss go because we didn't want them and rather than harm their careers by holding on to them on the off chance we didn't successfully get two of our targets (we got one fairly early on) , we let them go early.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2017 06:41

I do kind of agree with Samuel to an extent

Said at the time we should have held onto him for August and let him go before the transfer window shut

Though obvs there would have been a fair chance he'd have got injured in that time and scuppered the transfer

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Oct 2017 11:45

Only having one striker and refusing to start him falls solely on Stam's shoulders. Like so many managers before him flirting with the exit door, he's in a hole and won't stop digging. I can't believe how quickly he's got here and, very sadly, see no sign of him casting his shovel aside.

Having over achieved last season with a group of players he'd largely inherited, he's now under achieving with a very talented squad.
following a £10m investment.

He's playing a front 3 with no goals between them this season while Bodvarsson warms the bench and Samuels is long gone. As much as we all love McCleary, he's a shadow of his former self while Popa can't get a game.

I believe we are watching a team that is rapidly losing faith in it's leader and any dissenters, regardless of form, are being sidelined.

Right now I only see this ending one way and unless, at the very least, he's prepared to play a recognised striker, I have no intention of turning up to watch the inevitable come to pass.

biff

by biff » 04 Oct 2017 12:00

https://audioboom.com/posts/6358552-pos ... at-reading

Stam and Reading objectively eviscerated on this weeks Totally Football League show. Hard to disagree with what they have to say.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 04 Oct 2017 15:38

Hound I do kind of agree with Samuel to an extent

Said at the time we should have held onto him for August and let him go before the transfer window shut

Though obvs there would have been a fair chance he'd have got injured in that time and scuppered the transfer

Probably better to give a years contract to a player who's just about to go in for surgery and hope he available by Jan so
we can go for a later run

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Oct 2017 16:17

biff https://audioboom.com/posts/6358552-posh-s-promotion-push-the-legend-of-the-lincoln-imps-and-is-the-writing-on-the-wall-for-jaap-stam-at-reading

Stam and Reading objectively eviscerated on this weeks Totally Football League show. Hard to disagree with what they have to say.

Timestamp?

biff

by biff » 04 Oct 2017 16:47

genome
biff https://audioboom.com/posts/6358552-posh-s-promotion-push-the-legend-of-the-lincoln-imps-and-is-the-writing-on-the-wall-for-jaap-stam-at-reading

Timestamp?

3.44 mate

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2017 17:51

Good listen actually

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Oct 2017 18:21

A depressingly accurate assessment of our current state of affairs.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Oct 2017 18:33

This is a difficult one and so I have voted Ian Royal.

I hate the fact that managers are not given long enough and the hire and fire culture. BUT the football last season was dire, but at least it felt better when we were winning. I was hoping this season that the possession football would step up and have more purpose, but if anything the way we play is even more turgid than last season and now we are not winning either.

The passing game is good in principle, provided you can at times turn from possession to moving the ball quickly through or behind the defense and creating chances. But we seem more intent on keeping the possession stats high than creating anything. I don't think it is just the lack of a striker that is the issue (although it does not help) as many of the players look out of sorts to me. Have they lost faith in the system?

I think we have missed the urgency of Williams, as well as Kermorgant.

But it is the dire boring football that I just cannot stand and so i am not going to attend matches for the foreseeable future, as I am just getting frustrated sitting there and watching the bore fest I see in front of me.

Overall, however, I genuinely hope Stam can turn the situation round quickly and instill some purpose and dynamism into the way we are playing - otherwise I fear he will be gone by the end of November.

In the meantime it is all Ian Royal's fault.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 04 Oct 2017 21:53

In - too costly for the owners to make a change plus signed shed loads of Japps choices on long term contracts. No solution other than make this work.

What is the problem ? Its been reiterated here many times - the incoherent lucky dip approach to transfers i.e 12 last season - half a waste of space), 7 this season, when all we needed was a keeper and striker - Quinn now fit the obvious Williams replacement. Plus the yoof as backup.

Whats the cause ? No Indepenedent Director of football to have a quiet word to follow the direction, strategy perhaps. Japp has no personal managerial experience to fallback on. I fear he is a coach and not a manager. Managers make the big decisions and spend the money. Coaches try to get the best out of the guys on the training ground. Japp has never been in the #1 hot seat and I think it is now showing. Is Brian T up to the job Nicky H did ?

under the tin

by under the tin » 05 Oct 2017 09:16

fred sharpes nose In - too costly for the owners to make a change plus signed shed loads of Japps choices on long term contracts. No solution other than make this work.

Whilst I agree with the premise, and much of your post, it should be remembered that the Chinese didn't buy RFC because they are ardent Royals fans. They want a return on their investment, and the only way they have the slightest chance of getting that is by selling on a Premier League club.
We all have never seen our club splash the cash before, but in relative terms with many other Champ clubs, we have spent buttons.
Say what you will about how we got to Wembley last season, but the fact remains that we were one result away from the silly TV money, and the Chinese could well take the view that writing off ten million or so is worth it, if it means the possibility of promotion, and the hundreds of millions it brings, is increased.
That's what most of the other owners in the Champ do, isn't it?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 20:27

HeinzGuderian It's dire right now.

First time ever I've been glad for the international break so I can watch another game.

Tbf watching England tonight is pretty bloody similar

Even down to the half hearted booing

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Oct 2017 09:16

Hound

First time ever I've been glad for the international break so I can watch another game.

Actually thought Reading have been better than England's showing last night.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Oct 2017 12:45

genome
Hound

The product on view may not be great but not losing/winning makes quite a significant difference IMO

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Oct 2017 15:53

Woodcote Royal A depressingly accurate assessment of our current state of affairs.

I was concerned at the comments made about Stam's character including his stubborness. I fear his attitude will be his undoing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2017 16:12

bcubed
genome
Hound

The product on view may not be great but not losing/winning makes quite a significant difference IMO

We beat Gillingham, the only team vaguely comparable in level difference between England and Slovenia.

I bet we do better this season than England do in Russia.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2017 21:00

2 assists tonight for JDB away at a half decent national side

Be very disappointed if he doesn’t start vs leeds

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Oct 2017 21:23

Hound 2 assists tonight for JDB away at a half decent national side

Be very disappointed if he doesn’t start vs leeds

As our only senior recorgnized striker available he simply has to start, regardless of his deficiencies.

We're bad enough when we play a team with everyone in their rightful positions. Why we think we have the right to consistently piss about starting games with no striker is arrogance, ignorance or a combination of the two.

We're oxf*rd struggling. Stop trying to reinvent football and do the oxf*rd basics ffs.

504 posts