In or Out?

504 posts

Stam - In or Out?

In
100
42%
Out
106
44%
Shake it all about
16
7%
Ian Royal
17
7%
 
Total votes: 239
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4516
Joined: 03 Sep 2013 15:56
Location: What are those arseholes doing on the porch?

Re: In or Out?

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 29 Oct 2017 14:15

Snowflake Royal wrote:But Clarke did get sacked for performance. Post Fulham thrashing we were awful, clueless and nosediving. Sadly McDermott couldn't fix it and was then sacked when he should have had to at least December preferably a full season. Of course we wouldn't have finished 3rd under him in all probability. But I doubt we'd currently be sitting at the wrong end of the table if he'd stayed either.


After Clarke said it was his 'duty' to apply for the Fulham job, the morale left the club and he essentially wanted the sack so that he could get a job move AND a pay off. Ironically, since Madejski sold the club to Zingarevich, this was the period that generated the most optimism as it finally seemed we were recycling the dregs of the premiership squad (i.e stopped thinking that Pogrebnyak would score a match winner any time soon). Clarke's departure was entirely his doing. **** him.

McDermott 2.0 should never have taken the job. It was clear from where we were as a club that he would lose a good number of the first 10 games, then the fans would turn and then he'd get the sack. Given this was precisely the position he found at Leeds, he probably could have done without it. Madejski wanted him to inject a bit of local pride into the club, and for that I applaud him, but it really wasnt the job for him. A poison chalice.

Same for Adkins in my opinion. Not sure what he could have done. I know he's disliked because people dislike middle age men who go to tanning salons and talk shit, but he presided over the era where the Russians literally disappeared with the money. All he could do was exist and watch it all unfold, and thats exactly what he did.

Stam is just like Clarke for me - thinks he's better than us and is using us just to get that great number 2 job in the premiership he thinks he deserves. He wont resign, managers just dont resign, but its apparent he doesnt want to be here and I reckon he'll agitate until we sack him.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18208
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: In or Out?

by leon » 29 Oct 2017 14:23

Dr_Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:But Clarke did get sacked for performance. Post Fulham thrashing we were awful, clueless and nosediving. Sadly McDermott couldn't fix it and was then sacked when he should have had to at least December preferably a full season. Of course we wouldn't have finished 3rd under him in all probability. But I doubt we'd currently be sitting at the wrong end of the table if he'd stayed either.


After Clarke said it was his 'duty' to apply for the Fulham job, the morale left the club and he essentially wanted the sack so that he could get a job move AND a pay off. Ironically, since Madejski sold the club to Zingarevich, this was the period that generated the most optimism as it finally seemed we were recycling the dregs of the premiership squad (i.e stopped thinking that Pogrebnyak would score a match winner any time soon). Clarke's departure was entirely his doing. **** him.

McDermott 2.0 should never have taken the job. It was clear from where we were as a club that he would lose a good number of the first 10 games, then the fans would turn and then he'd get the sack. Given this was precisely the position he found at Leeds, he probably could have done without it. Madejski wanted him to inject a bit of local pride into the club, and for that I applaud him, but it really wasnt the job for him. A poison chalice.

Same for Adkins in my opinion. Not sure what he could have done. I know he's disliked because people dislike middle age men who go to tanning salons and talk shit, but he presided over the era where the Russians literally disappeared with the money. All he could do was exist and watch it all unfold, and thats exactly what he did.

Stam is just like Clarke for me - thinks he's better than us and is using us just to get that great number 2 job in the premiership he thinks he deserves. He wont resign, managers just dont resign, but its apparent he doesnt want to be here and I reckon he'll agitate until we sack him.


I think you're probably right. Apart from Adkins who was an utter charlatan.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4360
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2017 16:14

leon wrote:
Dr_Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:But Clarke did get sacked for performance. Post Fulham thrashing we were awful, clueless and nosediving. Sadly McDermott couldn't fix it and was then sacked when he should have had to at least December preferably a full season. Of course we wouldn't have finished 3rd under him in all probability. But I doubt we'd currently be sitting at the wrong end of the table if he'd stayed either.


After Clarke said it was his 'duty' to apply for the Fulham job, the morale left the club and he essentially wanted the sack so that he could get a job move AND a pay off. Ironically, since Madejski sold the club to Zingarevich, this was the period that generated the most optimism as it finally seemed we were recycling the dregs of the premiership squad (i.e stopped thinking that Pogrebnyak would score a match winner any time soon). Clarke's departure was entirely his doing. **** him.

McDermott 2.0 should never have taken the job. It was clear from where we were as a club that he would lose a good number of the first 10 games, then the fans would turn and then he'd get the sack. Given this was precisely the position he found at Leeds, he probably could have done without it. Madejski wanted him to inject a bit of local pride into the club, and for that I applaud him, but it really wasnt the job for him. A poison chalice.

Same for Adkins in my opinion. Not sure what he could have done. I know he's disliked because people dislike middle age men who go to tanning salons and talk shit, but he presided over the era where the Russians literally disappeared with the money. All he could do was exist and watch it all unfold, and thats exactly what he did.

Stam is just like Clarke for me - thinks he's better than us and is using us just to get that great number 2 job in the premiership he thinks he deserves. He wont resign, managers just dont resign, but its apparent he doesnt want to be here and I reckon he'll agitate until we sack him.


I think you're probably right. Apart from Adkins who was an utter charlatan.

I think he's probably right, apart from Stam being another Clarke

Henley Royal 1
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: 02 Sep 2017 19:11

Re: In or Out?

by Henley Royal 1 » 29 Oct 2017 16:53

Is there another candidate out there nobody leaping out at me and please not Parjudas .

User avatar
bobby m's syrup
Member
Posts: 845
Joined: 30 May 2004 23:03
Location: Amanzimtoti

Re: In or Out?

by bobby m's syrup » 29 Oct 2017 17:00

It's not working. The writing was on the wall last season with heavy defeats and an unrealistic final placing. The playoffs were not exactly an advert for the beautiful game either.

Poor signings, neglect of unfavoured though talented players.

Let Mynheer Stam go and find a manager with the capacity to inspire players to rescue something from this pi$$ poor excuse for a season


under the tin
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: 15 Jan 2010 10:21

Re: In or Out?

by under the tin » 30 Oct 2017 09:52

Dr_Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Same for Adkins in my opinion. Not sure what he could have done. I know he's disliked because people dislike middle age men who go to tanning salons and talk shit, but he presided over the era where the Russians literally disappeared with the money. All he could do was exist and watch it all unfold, and thats exactly what he did.

Totally agree. In his media work he did come across as a bit of a prat, but in fairness, just like Brian, he never grizzled about the fact that he was promised the moon on a stick, and was given buttons to work with. Royally shafted.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7268
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 30 Oct 2017 10:19

Bumped into Adkins on a very busy train from London to Reading when he was still in charge. Was a proper nice bloke and happy to answer questions and chat to the other passengers. Also quite liked the fact he was travelling standard class rather than 1st

Think that always taints my views of his managerial ability tbh, but he was pretty well shafted

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 20013
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 30 Oct 2017 10:39

Our form over ten games prior to the sacking of our last few managers:

Adkins: LLWLWLLWDL
Clarke: WWDLDDLWLL
McDermott 2.0: DWWLLLLDLL

Stam's current 10-game form: WLDLDLLWLL

It doesn't look great for him historically... I've always said I'm more fussed about performances than results though, so couple that with the way we're playing and I think you have a good argument to get rid.

jar95
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: 12 Mar 2013 14:55

Re: In or Out?

by jar95 » 30 Oct 2017 11:25

feel like a loss on Tuesday will be that


tee peg
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2043
Joined: 27 Sep 2005 13:05
Location: gloucester

Re: In or Out?

by tee peg » 30 Oct 2017 11:31

jar95 wrote:feel like a loss on Tuesday will be that



He may have until the international break...........

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6041
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: In or Out?

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2017 11:32

jar95 wrote:feel like a loss on Tuesday will be that


Would agree.

Marino13
Member
Posts: 827
Joined: 03 Oct 2017 11:20

Re: In or Out?

by Marino13 » 30 Oct 2017 11:35

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Marino13 wrote:i'm fairly sure the board are preparing
to put something in place to
bring in a new head coach

of course this takes time but things
need to change and pronto to give
the new person in charge, time
to assess the squad and bring in
what they think is necessary in january
to ensure we do not get
relegated.

To be honest, you don't need a couple of weeks to assess the squad to identify what we're missing. BT and Gourlay should already have targets lined up for a striker and a fullback. Other than that we're gravy player wise.

Just got to get the XI right and up performance.


that depends who comes in as manager. some managers like
the final say on signings as opposed to being
given players by dof to coach.

also, what does gravy mean?

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 20013
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: In or Out?

by genome » 30 Oct 2017 11:37

tee peg wrote:
jar95 wrote:feel like a loss on Tuesday will be that



He may have until the international break...........


I agree. When is it, after Derby? It seems a decent time to make a change, so I expect he'll get tomorrow night and Saturday, although I'll be officially out if we don't win tomorrow.

I doubt we'll get anything from Derby anyway. Man, I really have become negative recently.


Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7268
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: In or Out?

by Hound » 30 Oct 2017 11:39

genome wrote:
tee peg wrote:
jar95 wrote:feel like a loss on Tuesday will be that



He may have until the international break...........


I agree. When is it, after Derby? It seems a decent time to make a change, so I expect he'll get tomorrow night and Saturday, although I'll be officially out if we don't win tomorrow.

I doubt we'll get anything from Derby anyway. Man, I really have become negative recently.


If we don't make significant changes to the shape of the side, we will lose both. And I think that will be that - Jaap will walk if he isn't sacked. He is pretty thin skinned, and I don't think he would cope if 'Stam Out' chants started up

Its up to him really - if he is unable to see the fundamental flaws in the way we have been playing, he really can't expect anything else.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4360
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2017 13:37

Marino13 wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Marino13 wrote:i'm fairly sure the board are preparing
to put something in place to
bring in a new head coach

of course this takes time but things
need to change and pronto to give
the new person in charge, time
to assess the squad and bring in
what they think is necessary in january
to ensure we do not get
relegated.

To be honest, you don't need a couple of weeks to assess the squad to identify what we're missing. BT and Gourlay should already have targets lined up for a striker and a fullback. Other than that we're gravy player wise.

Just got to get the XI right and up performance.


that depends who comes in as manager. some managers like
the final say on signings as opposed to being
given players by dof to coach.

also, what does gravy mean?

Gravy is good.

Marino13
Member
Posts: 827
Joined: 03 Oct 2017 11:20

Re: In or Out?

by Marino13 » 30 Oct 2017 15:28

Snowflake Royal wrote:
Marino13 wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:To be honest, you don't need a couple of weeks to assess the squad to identify what we're missing. BT and Gourlay should already have targets lined up for a striker and a fullback. Other than that we're gravy player wise.

Just got to get the XI right and up performance.


that depends who comes in as manager. some managers like
the final say on signings as opposed to being
given players by dof to coach.

also, what does gravy mean?

Gravy is good.

but what if you don't
like gravy?

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6041
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: In or Out?

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2017 15:30

Marino13 wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Marino13 wrote:
that depends who comes in as manager. some managers like
the final say on signings as opposed to being
given players by dof to coach.

also, what does gravy mean?

Gravy is good.

but what if you don't
like gravy?


Who the oxf*rd doesn't like gravy?

User avatar
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7745
Joined: 05 May 2017 07:32
Location: For a minute there I lost myself....

Re: In or Out?

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Oct 2017 15:37

Lock him up, lock him up, lock him up!

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4360
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: In or Out?

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2017 17:51

As someone who used to 'not like' gravy - ie a not right mentalist - I could still appreciate that the popular view is that gravy is a good thing.

I was not expecting the conversation to go this route if I'm honest.

Elm Park Kid
Member
Posts: 706
Joined: 05 Feb 2013 11:45

Re: In or Out?

by Elm Park Kid » 31 Oct 2017 13:27

Basic analysis:

I think most people are confident that even if we don't improve much under Stam that we wont go down - we can beat enough bottom table teams at home to be comfortable. Also I think most people would accept that a new manager coming in is unlikely to lead to a promotion push. So our season is going to end up the same regardless of whether we sack him or not.

When looking at the long term success, I think our issue is finances not the manager. He achieved optimal results last season given the team at his disposal and there's no reason (IMO) to believe that a new one is doing better with more money. Sorry, I know there's RFC fans out there that always believe that we've got a load of amazing players (esp. those home grown youngsters who "never get a chance") and that the only reason we're not winning the champs league is because the manager messes up, but the truth is that our team is slightly above average at best. FIring Stam without any other fundamental change at the club and hoping for more success is unrealistic to me.

However, we have also played a style of football under Stam that many of us don't like; and so personally, I would like him to go. Not because I think we'd do better but because I think I would enjoy watching Reading more with a different manager. Ask yourself which season did you enjoy more - McDermott's first full season when we finished 6th and lost in the PO final 4-2 or last season when we finished 3rd and lost on penalties?

504 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ascotexgunner, Google [Bot], Hound, Kebe's apprentice, NewCorkSeth, tidus_mi2 and 77 guests

It is currently 14 Nov 2018 21:53