7%
Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: In or Out?

by Sutekh » 01 Nov 2017 08:36

Well I would expect the next 2 games to destroy the work of last night and leave Reading just above the relegation places with a bit of a gap forming above them.

But then this is football so who knows....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Nov 2017 08:40

Sutekh Well I would expect the next 2 games to destroy the work of last night and leave Reading just above the relegation places with a bit of a gap forming above them.

But then this is football so who knows....

the difference being I think is we have a striker now - and hopefully 2 with Dadi (+Smith) after the break

I honestly don't think Stam will go back to that horrible Beerens/Aluko/McCleary disaster. He is stubborn but not stupid. Also I think Derby and Wolves will certainly not be sitting back against us, so hopefully we can pick up a result against at least one of them

Marino13

by Marino13 » 01 Nov 2017 08:43

some people's perceptions
change every week.
1 win, stay. 1 loss, go.
football is a fickle game these days.

when we beat leeds, people
got too excited. i said we would
probably lose to sheff utd next.
and we did.

people get too excited or too deflated
every week.

jar95

by jar95 » 01 Nov 2017 14:28

Might have already been mentioned how much longer / if any has last night bought it? Still under pressure regardless of last night isn't he?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Nov 2017 14:32

30 wins in 60 league games since he`s been in charge , before he came 30 in 110. make up your own minds. not expecting much in the next 2 games so I would expect the distracters all to surface again on Saturday evening.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Nov 2017 14:47

windermereROYAL 30 wins in 60 league games since he`s been in charge , before he came 30 in 110. make up your own minds. not expecting much in the next 2 games so I would expect the distracters all to surface again on Saturday evening.

Hopefully we've turned a corner now but there are still tough fixtures ahead. Although it's been poor recently, I don't think changing manager now would be a smart choice. If we can be around mid table going into Chrimbo, then there's no reason a couple of faces in January couldn't help us push on again. I've got my optimistic hat on again after last night!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Nov 2017 15:14

windermereROYAL 30 wins in 60 league games since he`s been in charge , before he came 30 in 110. make up your own minds.

This 'In or Out' thread was started on 27 Sep, barely 8 or 9 games in. With many injuries.

We hired a very young new manager, late in the summer, from outside the country. He inherits quite a mess, its his first managerial job, he's foreign, and new to this league/div, and so he will be learning on the job, as he goes. And yet, in his very first season, he hits the ground running and finishes above Monk, Warnock, et al (and some clubs had bigger budgets). We finish a clear 3rd, where we've been for much of the season. We lose on pens at Wembley in the playoff final. Some Prem clubs show interest, but the club sign him to an extension. Yet us fans want him out? After one season? Ah, but its because of his 'style'.

Ok, so what if a new bloke comes in. He comes in, and in his first season we finish, say, only mid-table. And, we don't like his 'style' either. Would we have another 'In or Out' thread and do we fire him after one season too? Rinse, and repeat, is that the way forward?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 02 Nov 2017 09:32

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Nov 2017 10:02

Denver Royal
windermereROYAL 30 wins in 60 league games since he`s been in charge , before he came 30 in 110. make up your own minds.

This 'In or Out' thread was started on 27 Sep, barely 8 or 9 games in. With many injuries.

We hired a very young new manager, late in the summer, from outside the country. He inherits quite a mess, its his first managerial job, he's foreign, and new to this league/div, and so he will be learning on the job, as he goes. And yet, in his very first season, he hits the ground running and finishes above Monk, Warnock, et al (and some clubs had bigger budgets). We finish a clear 3rd, where we've been for much of the season. We lose on pens at Wembley in the playoff final. Some Prem clubs show interest, but the club sign him to an extension. Yet us fans want him out? After one season? Ah, but its because of his 'style'.

Ok, so what if a new bloke comes in. He comes in, and in his first season we finish, say, only mid-table. And, we don't like his 'style' either. Would we have another 'In or Out' thread and do we fire him after one season too? Rinse, and repeat, is that the way forward?

Can you please post more often Denver Royal. One of the clearest, most reasonable responses we've had since things went sour after one press conference.

I'd like to think the general consensus among our fans would agree with this view though.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Nov 2017 11:25

"Total Football Is Dead"

A central midfielder playing at right back but charging up the left wing to cross for the opening goal is the very epitome of Total Football.

Sure there were some encouraging signs on Tuesday but lets be honest here. Forest came to play and try to get the ball off of us rather than sit back in numbers and then wait for the inevitable error. Hence we got the chance to counter attack ourselves and score first which is absolutely vital to this team.

Whether we recover this season will be dependent on if we can deal with teams that allow us the ball but sit deep. I'm quietly confident that with the likes of Yann, Swift, Barrow, Bacuna and Aluko playing regularly together that will happen but Stam needs those 5 available every week. Then if he doesn't select them when fit he'll only have himself to blame if results don't come.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2017 17:20

Vision

"Total Football Is Dead"

A central midfielder playing at right back but charging up the left wing to cross for the opening goal is the very epitome of Total Football.

Sure there were some encouraging signs on Tuesday but lets be honest here. Forest came to play and try to get the ball off of us rather than sit back in numbers and then wait for the inevitable error. Hence we got the chance to counter attack ourselves and score first which is absolutely vital to this team.

Whether we recover this season will be dependent on if we can deal with teams that allow us the ball but sit deep. I'm quietly confident that with the likes of Yann, Swift, Barrow, Bacuna and Aluko playing regularly together that will happen but Stam needs those 5 available every week. Then if he doesn't select them when fit he'll only have himself to blame if results don't come.

I saw the Leeds game on TV and Forest live. I've not seen any change in tactics. Ive just seen better player performances and decisio making against teams that were a bit more adventurous who gave us a bit more space.

It's like people think the object of Stam's philosophy is to have 100% possession in our first two thirds. It's not. That's just what happens when the players implement it badly with a lack of movement, bravery and initiative.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2017 17:28

There was definitely a change to push Barrow and Aluko further forward, and wider as well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2017 13:13

Hound There was definitely a change to push Barrow and Aluko further forward, and wider as well.

That's how we started the season. It's a consequence of playing better, making better decisions and not having to play through 8 outfielders in one third.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Nov 2017 13:33

To an extent. But it was clear from kick off. Was keeping a keen eye on it as moaned so much about Aluko and Beerens in the last game and their appalling positioning, and how for me that was fundamental to the shit performance

Aluko actually commented yesterday I think that it was in the game plan for them to move further up

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Nov 2017 19:57

Should a man who persists with an underperforming Roy Beerens keep his job?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Nov 2017 20:06

zzzzzzz....should your boss keep his?

Any relation to “Dave” rj?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Nov 2017 20:36

Royal_jimmy Should a man who persists with an underperforming Roy Beerens keep his job?

Once there's a fully fit squad to choose from. Then the manager can pick a team on merit. Rather than just who is avalable.

double d

by double d » 18 Nov 2017 21:15

AthleticoSpizz zzzzzzz....should your boss keep his?

Any relation to “Dave” rj?

:? :wink:

oxford-nick

by oxford-nick » 21 Nov 2017 21:00

oxf*rd this - OUT

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Nov 2017 21:29

I've waited this long to post on the poll but I think enough is enough. It's not the results, its a seeming inability to learn from mistakes and what works, its baffling and I think we're just going to meander along under performing. We have some good players, let them play.

Out.

504 posts