JVdB Signs One Year Extension

yuomi

JVdB Signs One Year Extension

by yuomi » 27 Sep 2017 19:51

Per https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/van-den-berg-extends-royals-contract/

He's utterly useless and a total liability so this is mystifying...

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: JVdB Signs One Year Extension

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Sep 2017 20:24

Dutch though which means in Staps eyes he's brilliant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2017 20:28

yuomi Per https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/van-den-berg-extends-royals-contract/

Not at all. He's an imperfect player for sure and has a number of faults. But he is one of the few players this season who will play a crisp first time pass forward. He adds some bite to midfield and is usefully versatile in a pinch.

yuomi

by yuomi » 27 Sep 2017 20:42

Snowflake Royal
yuomi Per https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/van-den-berg-extends-royals-contract/

Not at all. He's an imperfect player for sure and has a number of faults. But he is one of the few players this season who will play a crisp first time pass forward. He adds some bite to midfield and is usefully versatile in a pinch.

Having attended all but one of our games this season (brum) I find fault with almost all of this, imperfect player and faults excepted.

He will more often pass the ball to the opposition than crisply anywhere, plays entirely with one foot, and has only slightly more awareness than that of a blind geriatric listening to their favourite podcast.

The only bite that he adds is in getting booked for stupid challenges early on and leaving you with your heart in your mouth with every clumsy tackle he goes for thereafter.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 27 Sep 2017 21:00

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Sep 2017 21:00

Look at Millwall's winner - nowhere near the man.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Sep 2017 22:31

The only "crisp" thing I expect him to do each game is "crisply" pass the ball to the opposition as an inopportune time.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Sep 2017 22:34

What the facts don't show you are how many of those passes are after a 10 yard dash into an alley of opposition players followed by a hospital pass to the nearest teammate.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Sep 2017 22:37

yuomi
Snowflake Royal

Having attended all but one of our games this season (brum) I find fault with almost all of this, imperfect player and faults excepted.

He will more often pass the ball to the opposition than crisply anywhere, plays entirely with one foot, and has only slightly more awareness than that of a blind geriatric listening to their favourite podcast.

The only bite that he adds is in getting booked for stupid challenges early on and leaving you with your heart in your mouth with every clumsy tackle he goes for thereafter.

Can't argue with this

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 27 Sep 2017 22:44

Without doubt Joey is a 'Marmite' character and to be fair he has improved in some respects since last season. He can pick a pass and his commitment is there for all to see BUT he is an accident waiting to happen. This news does nothing to lift a certain 'sense of doom' which appears to have surfaced since the weekend. Given he was Stam's first signing and an obvious favourite, I guess we must assume that we are not about to dispense with 'Total (boring) Football' any time soon... :x
Last edited by Steve_Upper_West on 28 Sep 2017 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 27 Sep 2017 23:13

Well done yuomi, you win the internet tonight.

"He will more often pass the ball to the opposition than crisply anywhere". Fortunately, there are things called facts (see my earlier post with link to whoscored.com) that show you're somewhat adrift of reality. You can also check out the official website that shows JVdB has a passing success rate of 85.9%, better than Evans, Swift, Kelly, Bacuna. His percentage of forward passes is also higher than any of the aforementioned.

And as for yellow cards, only 1 so far this season.

If you dislike JVdB, or any other player, that's entirely your prerogative, but do try and be just a little bit objective.

Crotts

by Crotts » 27 Sep 2017 23:22

Joey Van Den Berg has to be one of the slowest professional footballers I have ever seen. Should be named Joey Ice Berg as he moves at the pace of an iceberg.
He has had only one yellow this year because if anything I think he is slower than he was last year. Last year he was so slow to the ball that he ended up taking out the player whereas this year he can't even get a boot on the player.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Sep 2017 23:30

Yawn.

He makes his mistakes, but he does more good for this team then anyone else right now.

Haven't seen any stats (I know it was referenced earlier but I'm pissed and cba to look) but iirc we had a pretty good record with him in midfield.

Marcus Crassus

by Marcus Crassus » 27 Sep 2017 23:35

@Crotts

Good to see someone else who doesn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2017 23:53

CountryRoyal

Yawn.

He makes his mistakes, but he does more good for this team then anyone else right now.

Haven't seen any stats (I know it was referenced earlier but I'm pissed and cba to look) but iirc we had a pretty good record with him in midfield.

Precisely. He's been far from at his best in many games this season and he's far from the best player we have, but equally he is certainly not a totally useless liability and a contract extension is far from a surprise or mystifying.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Sep 2017 07:23

Good squad player, and like his attitude

Wouldn't be in my first 11 though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2017 09:52

Marcus Crassus Well done yuomi, you win the internet tonight.

"He will more often pass the ball to the opposition than crisply anywhere". Fortunately, there are things called facts (see my earlier post with link to whoscored.com) that show you're somewhat adrift of reality. You can also check out the official website that shows JVdB has a passing success rate of 85.9%, better than Evans, Swift, Kelly, Bacuna. His percentage of forward passes is also higher than any of the aforementioned.

If you dislike JVdB, or any other player, that's entirely your prerogative, but do try and be just a little bit objective.

He's managed .6 key passes on average in 532 minutes with 54.6 average passes.
Clement managed the same key pass stat in 230 minutes with 19.8 average passes. Perhaps unfair to compare the 2 as Clement plays further up.
Bacuna in 283 minutes has managed .8 key passes with an average of 41.3 passes per game.
Swift in 287 minutes has managed 1.8 key passes with an average of 40.8 passes per game.
Kelly in 600 minutes has managed 1.9 key passes with an average of 48.4 passes per game.

So JVDB is making more passes but much less important ones than 3 of our other options in MC.
That, to me at least, shows very clearly he is making most of his passes in our half to nearby players. The thing everyone criticises Gunter for.

Not only that but Swift and Bacuna have managed to make more impact in a little over half the game time he has had. The stats can be deceiving.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2017 10:23

NewCorkSeth

Clement managed the same key pass stat in 230 minutes with 19.8 average passes. Perhaps unfair to compare the 2 as Clement plays further up.
Bacuna in 283 minutes has managed .8 key passes with an average of 41.3 passes per game.
Swift in 287 minutes has managed 1.8 key passes with an average of 40.8 passes per game.
Kelly in 600 minutes has managed 1.9 key passes with an average of 48.4 passes per game.

So JVDB is making more passes but much less important ones than 3 of our other options in MC.
That, to me at least, shows very clearly he is making most of his passes in our half to nearby players. The thing everyone criticises Gunter for.

Not only that but Swift and Bacuna have managed to make more impact in a little over half the game time he has had. The stats can be deceiving.

Defensive midfielder who often plays at cb making fewer attacking passes than attacking or all round midfielders shocker.

Jesus, I despair.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Sep 2017 10:26

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

Defensive midfielder who often plays at cb making fewer attacking passes than attacking or all round midfielders shocker.

Jesus, I despair.

McShane has better passing stats than him if you want to go that route. Better passing accuracy, average per game, long pass success rate, key passes.

If nobody else at the club plays the same role as him then the stats are entirely pointless to bring up in the first place.

I think he is a fine squad player but an automatic starter ahead of better midfield options who statistically make more of an impact on the game? No.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Sep 2017 10:31

Ffs Seth, the stats were brought up by someone as an objective measure of whether he loses the ball all the time because some idiot mouthed off about that.

You can't judge players solely on stats, but they're good for testing factual claims.

And I think you'll find that a middielder's role is far more than just pass success or key passes.

And at no point have I said he should be a first choice midfielder