What former players would you bring back?

double d

What former players would you bring back?

by double d » 01 Oct 2017 21:16

What former players would you bring back into our current team and who would you replace? Do you think that any of our gr8s would be a good enough replacement for what we have now?

Fosters pace upfront?
Curetons fox in the box and poaching?
Glen little trickery?
Ivers leadership?
Shoreys composure?
Hislops solid keeping?
Scott murray?
Luke Chadwick?
Peter mate?
Michael dobson?

Who else?!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What former players would you bring back?

by leon » 01 Oct 2017 21:40

Big Dave Kitson.

That truculant fcuker carried the team for 2 seasons before Coppell finished assembling the finest football team ever seen. Pound for pound the best striker I've watched. Always in the right place to score goals, able to link up midfield to attack and defending from the front. Ginger and a bit mouthy. Perfect.

Mick Gooding.

Mr 8/10. I saw some pretty shit performances from RFC in the 90s. Gooding however was Mr Consistent. You'd walk away from Elm Park saying that was fcuking shit - Gooding did ok, though. Every time. He could tackle, pass the ball and run around and stuff. Love him.

Brynjar Gunnnarsson/Mikele Leigertwood.

Intelligent players who can actually tackle, but can pass the ball. Both great players for RFC. We've missed players like this - who protect the defence and keep play going.

double d

by double d » 01 Oct 2017 21:53

We have definitely missed a brynar type midfielder. For all I like Liam Kelly for, and he is the best we have had for a while, nobody touches Bryn. THAT NUTMEG 8)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Oct 2017 22:21

leon Big Dave Kitson.

That truculant fcuker carried the team for 2 seasons before Coppell finished assembling the finest football team ever seen. Pound for pound the best striker I've watched. Always in the right place to score goals, able to link up midfield to attack and defending from the front. Ginger and a bit mouthy. Perfect.

Mick Gooding.

Mr 8/10. I saw some pretty shit performances from RFC in the 90s. Gooding however was Mr Consistent. You'd walk away from Elm Park saying that was fcuking shit - Gooding did ok, though. Every time. He could tackle, pass the ball and run around and stuff. Love him.

Brynjar Gunnnarsson/Mikele Leigertwood.

Intelligent players who can actually tackle, but can pass the ball. Both great players for RFC. We've missed players like this - who protect the defence and keep play going.

I actually don't think football's much more complicated than this

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 01 Oct 2017 22:34

Glen Little was god for 18 months the best right winger in England agree with Kitson class, no point in having cureton back as much as i loved him when do we have the ball in the six yard box.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Oct 2017 23:47

Henley Royal 1 Glen Little was god for 18 months the best right winger in England agree with Kitson class, no point in having cureton back as much as i loved him when do we have the ball in the six yard box.

I didn't include any wingers because we have too many at the moment, and I thought we need a striker and defensive midfielder, however the two best I've seen are Little and Gilkes.

Gilkes because he was so fast - he'd kick the ball ahead of the defender and then it was just a race - that he'd usually win - it was a thing of beauty, also because in his later career at Reading he was playing as a left wing back and he did well there as well. Great player.

Little was unathletic and slow and yet bamboozled so many defences, I have no idea how he did. Technically brilliant. That goal against Plymouth I've played to the jnr leons to try to get them to understand the brilliance of the man. One of the 106 so clearly a fcuking legend. What a player.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Oct 2017 03:58

No mention of Gylfi yet?

You should be ashamed.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 02 Oct 2017 09:22

Lord Kebe

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Oct 2017 10:07

Gylfi

Next

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2017 10:15

Kevin Bremner
Darren Caskey
Jamie Cureton
Adam Le Fondre
Dariusz Wdowczyk

And for the sheer fun of it, Robin Friday

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2017 11:43

Gylfi, Bertrand and Long.
Too hard to pick from players no longer playing but those 3 would sort us out.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Oct 2017 11:48

NewCorkSeth Gylfi, Bertrand and Long.
Too hard to pick from players no longer playing but those 3 would sort us out.

And funnily enough all three were in that struggling Rodgers side

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Oct 2017 13:51

If we could bring back players in their Reading prime, I would being back the entire 106 squad plus Gylfi, Le Fondre, N Hunt, Al Habsi. Kebe and Jason Roberts with Steve Coppell as manager, Nicky Hammond as DOF and Brian McDermott as chief scout/Spare manager

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Oct 2017 17:27

Right now?

Can't look any further forward than Trevor Senior

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2017 18:54

leon
Henley Royal 1 Glen Little was god for 18 months the best right winger in England agree with Kitson class, no point in having cureton back as much as i loved him when do we have the ball in the six yard box.

I didn't include any wingers because we have too many at the moment, and I thought we need a striker and defensive midfielder, however the two best I've seen are Little and Gilkes.

Gilkes because he was so fast - he'd kick the ball ahead of the defender and then it was just a race - that he'd usually win - it was a thing of beauty, also because in his later career at Reading he was playing as a left wing back and he did well there as well. Great player.

Little was unathletic and slow and yet bamboozled so many defences, I have no idea how he did. Technically brilliant. That goal against Plymouth I've played to the jnr leons to try to get them to understand the brilliance of the man. One of the 106 so clearly a fcuking legend. What a player.

I play 5 a side with a couple of people like Little (obviously not anywhere near his league). We've come to the conclusion that because they run slower, they are much more able to use their superior technique to good affect. I genuinely think if you gave Little the pace of Gilkes or Kebe, he wouldn't be nearly as good because he'd lose that bamboozling tight control and body swerve by running faster. Same with Le Tissier.

You've really got to be incredible to keep the ball under that level of control at high speed.

As for who I'd bring back?

..........................Shaka
..Griffin, Ingimarsson, ..........Shorey
Little,...... Sidwell, Harper, .....McAnuff
.....................Sigurdsson
........................Kitson

Hahnemann, Murty, Wdowczyk, Gooding, Quinn and Kebe...

Moore can still start, Barrow can sit on the bench.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 02 Oct 2017 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Oct 2017 18:57

Forbury Lion If we could bring back players in their Reading prime, I would being back the entire 106 squad plus Gylfi, Le Fondre, N Hunt, Al Habsi. Kebe and Jason Roberts with Steve Coppell as manager, Nicky Hammond as DOF and Brian McDermott as chief scout/Spare manager

I think this pretty much concludes the argument though I'd wedge Shane in there.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Oct 2017 19:27

....and 153 goals in 301 games is not worthy of a sub spot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2017 19:29

AthleticoSpizz ....and 153 goals in 301 games is not worthy of a sub spot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never got to see him play mate.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Oct 2017 19:33

.......didn't miss a lot....just lots of goals :-)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2017 10:54

If I could pick just one player then it would be Roberts. Immense hold-up play, great at bringing others into the game. Would help get the best out of our existing players.

If I were picking a whole team then I'd prefer Kitson and Sigurdsson. Little and McAnuff as starting wingers with Convey, Kebe and Long ready to inject some pace off the bench. Sidwell and Legs in midfield. Shorey at left back, Sonko and Ingimarsson at centre back. Not much to choose between Murty/Rosenior/Griffin/Gunter or Shaka/Marcus/Federici/McCarthy/Al-Habsi.