It is all Grimsby's fault!

JR

It is all Grimsby's fault!

by JR » 03 Oct 2017 23:40

It dawned on me today that our current plight is all down to Grimsby or at least the weather in Grimsby!

The season was going swimmingly before the last international break, we then played Bristol City off the park at the Mad Stad, but got done by a smash and grab that will happen to everyone now and again.

But no worries, because we had a bounce back game 3 days later at home to Barnsley who we would have comfortably thrashed and kicked on from there.

Alas no, due to Grimsby having a game called off in August (!!) we had to sit and watch while other teams around us savoured victory and we entered the slippery slope of self-doubt and confusion and suffered confidence sapping setbacks in the games that followed.

Had it not been for that summer downpour in Grimsby I am convinced we would be proudly sitting in the play-off spots as we speak.

I'm personally never going to visit a fishmongers ever again in protest.

WAZZOCK

Re: It is all Grimsby's fault!

by WAZZOCK » 04 Oct 2017 07:04

Same thing happened when those oxf*rd Sunderland couldn't fulfill a game in 12/13. It meant we went 3 and a half weeks without a fixture and lost all the momentum of our promotion - plus we ended up having to go to Sunderland on a Tuesday in December.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 04 Oct 2017 08:18

hope they fold.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 04 Oct 2017 10:30

Booooo fishy people!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2017 19:24

WAZZOCK Same thing happened when those oxf*rd Sunderland couldn't fulfill a game in 12/13. It meant we went 3 and a half weeks without a fixture and lost all the momentum of our promotion - plus we ended up having to go to Sunderland on a Tuesday in December.

Federici losing us 3 points by diving over the ball against Stoke and (I think) Chelsea didn't help much either. Nor Guthrie having a melt down when the Sunderland game finally came round.

nevsamonkeyno6

by nevsamonkeyno6 » 05 Oct 2017 07:41

Snowflake Royal
WAZZOCK Same thing happened when those oxf*rd Sunderland couldn't fulfill a game in 12/13. It meant we went 3 and a half weeks without a fixture and lost all the momentum of our promotion - plus we ended up having to go to Sunderland on a Tuesday in December.

Federici losing us 3 points by diving over the ball against Stoke and (I think) Chelsea didn't help much either. Nor Guthrie having a melt down when the Sunderland game finally came round.

I was in the Chelsea end for that game and Federici did indeed let the ball go under his body. I also got bombarded by a few relieved Chelsea fans who had sussed I was Reading (Jumping out of my seat when Guthrie's free kick went in probably did it) Up to that point we were winning and well in control and I've never forgiven him as I think that really could have kicked us on that season. Not forgiven him for for that fumble against Arsenal in the semi either!!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Oct 2017 08:37

Not an away day I've done.

Is it as bad as the reputation? Any good old fashioned harbour side boozers to take the edge off an otherwise drab trip?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2017 08:54

Green Not an away day I've done.

Is it as bad as the reputation? Any good old fashioned harbour side boozers to take the edge off an otherwise drab trip?

My Dad once got talking to some fishermen in a Grimsby pub one night and ended up going out to sea with them the next day to work a few days on the trawler.

Or that could have been Hull.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Oct 2017 09:14

A bit like our 'Fulham moment' under Sssssssteve Clarke. Funny how fragile we can be as a club, regardless of the squad

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2017 09:22

I'm blaming Mo Barrow for getting injured vs Brizzle.

everything was going swimmingly to that point

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Oct 2017 09:51

leon

My Dad once got talking to some fishermen in a Grimsby pub one night and ended up going out to sea with them the next day to work a few days on the trawler.

Not a gig I'd relish I have to say, much as I'm sure they're a great bunch of lads.

Did he catch anything?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2017 09:59

Green
leon

Not a gig I'd relish I have to say, much as I'm sure they're a great bunch of lads.

Did he catch anything?

It was a proper trawler so I guess they would have netted loads. Alas leon snr is no longer around to provide any colour to the story. This would have been the 60s and fcuk knows what he was doing in Grimsby / Hull.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Oct 2017 10:35

Lost to the annals of time. I guess you didn't have netflix in those days.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Oct 2017 10:49

Anyway, to get this back on track - the GBG suggests the Barge - a boat pub in the town centre

Looks alright TBF, if you get the weather for it at least.

JR

by JR » 28 Nov 2017 23:37

JR It dawned on me today that our current plight is all down to Grimsby or at least the weather in Grimsby!

The season was going swimmingly before the last international break, we then played Bristol City off the park at the Mad Stad, but got done by a smash and grab that will happen to everyone now and again.

But no worries, because we had a bounce back game 3 days later at home to Barnsley who we would have comfortably thrashed and kicked on from there.

Alas no, due to Grimsby having a game called off in August (!!) we had to sit and watch while other teams around us savoured victory and we entered the slippery slope of self-doubt and confusion and suffered confidence sapping setbacks in the games that followed.

Had it not been for that summer downpour in Grimsby I am convinced we would be proudly sitting in the play-off spots as we speak.

I'm personally never going to visit a fishmongers ever again in protest.

I fully stand by this statement - tonight emphasises it more than ever.

Without torrential rain in Grimsby in August we would be in the play-offs.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 29 Nov 2017 00:11

Foookin Grimsby... :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2017 08:50

FA Cup in 1988/1989, beat Hendon, Maidstone and then the might of Tranmere in the 3rd round and got drawn away at Grimsby Town from the division below (and on their way to a stirring 9th place finish that season) in the 4th round.

Fairly typical of Reading's FA Cup draws, horribly unattractive and likely dreary game that we all though we'd lose but instead managed to draw and get a replay at Elm Park a few days later. Great, we thought, something to get interested and excited about as the 5th round draw had given the club a tie against then 1st Division and FA Cup holders Wimbledon. Players should really be up for this one and Grimsby are a division below so might actually get on MotD with extended highlights or something.

But as usual Reading sank to the occasion and were utterly atrocious in losing 2-1 in one of the worst games I can recall seeing. Think Reading equalised late in the 2nd half as well and despite expecting to pick up the impetus lost out in extra time. And so ended another glorious attempt to get further than the 4th round.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 29 Nov 2017 09:01

Sutekh FA Cup in 1988/1989, beat Hendon, Maidstone and then the might of Tranmere in the 3rd round and got drawn away at Grimsby Town from the division below (and on their way to a stirring 9th place finish that season) in the 4th round.

Fairly typical of Reading's FA Cup draws, horribly unattractive and likely dreary game that we all though we'd lose but instead managed to draw and get a replay at Elm Park a few days later. Great, we thought, something to get interested and excited about as the 5th round draw had given the club a tie against then 1st Division and FA Cup holders Wimbledon. Players should really be up for this one and Grimsby are a division below so might actually get on MotD with extended highlights or something.

But as usual Reading sank to the occasion and were utterly atrocious in losing 2-1 in one of the worst games I can recall seeing. Think Reading equalised late in the 2nd half as well and despite expecting to pick up the impetus lost out in extra time. And so ended another glorious attempt to get further than the 4th round.

Reading this and thinking where Tranmere, Grimsby and Wimbledon are now, makes me realize once again how spoilt we have been over the last 15 years (long may it continue!)
I remember seeing us lose to Grimsby at Elm Park some time in the '70s, and wondering whether we would ever reach the level of clubs like that. :?

Roar on the Royals

by Roar on the Royals » 29 Nov 2017 09:50

[/quote]I fully stand by this statement - tonight emphasises it more than ever.

Without torrential rain in Grimsby in August we would be in the play-offs.[/quote]

To be fair Barnsley were playing better back in September, it's only until recent weeks their forms have dipped... I think it's a good time to play them now. It might be a closer match in the original fixture.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Nov 2017 11:33

leon

The boat would have to be in the dry dock for him to work on the Hull.