Maneki Neko kishnashvili

Nope. Utter turd in the playoff final

under the tin

Re: Best loan signing

by under the tin » 09 Oct 2017 15:44

Sutekh
genome
maffff Sekou Baradji

I will always maintain that this guy was responsible for the 106 season with that assist in the Sheffield United home game, to take us within 3 points of them at the top. Reading legend, as far as I'm concerned.

Now plays for Amiens SC in France. He's 31 now so was only 19 or so when he floated that free kick in....

Gets me thinking this one, how may other Reading players are there that are remembered - favourably - for just one moment on the pitch.

Ulises de La Cruz.
That goal he scored against???? AArgh

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2017 15:45

Villa

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 09 Oct 2017 16:06

Sutekh
genome
I will always maintain that this guy was responsible for the 106 season with that assist in the Sheffield United home game, to take us within 3 points of them at the top. Reading legend, as far as I'm concerned.

Now plays for Amiens SC in France. He's 31 now so was only 19 or so when he floated that free kick in....

Gets me thinking this one, how may other Reading players are there that are remembered - favourably - for just one moment on the pitch.

Maybe Mathieu Manset? Scored a couple of important goals here and there - I think there might have been a significant winner?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Oct 2017 17:04

John Smith Maybe Mathieu Manset? Scored a couple of important goals here and there - I think there might have been a significant winner?

2 sweet left footed goals against Millwall

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Oct 2017 18:02

From Despair To Where? Tommy Wright

Matt Upson

Ryan Bertrand

in no particular order
totally this, with honourable mentions for the big yank, Dave Lee and johny salad

Dave Madden and Ben Roberts despite their relatively short stays weren't too shabby iirc....the latters loan deal ending prematurely due to injury following a totally heroic save.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Oct 2017 18:29

maffff
John Smith Maybe Mathieu Manset? Scored a couple of important goals here and there - I think there might have been a significant winner?

2 sweet left footed goals against Millwall

Cheeky injury time flicked finish to complete the comeback and win 3-2 at Bristol City.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2017 19:05

genome
Maneki Neko kishnashvili

Nope. Utter turd in the playoff final

Don't know about him, but Khizanishvili was pretty good until the PO.

Upson and Bertrand for me. Although I think I remember being slightly underwhelmed at Bertrand whilst everyone creamed over him. I blame Rodgers putting me on a downer. And being a contrarian bastard obvs.

I tend to lump loanees who signed permanently as perms, and don't include loanees who never signed perm as eligible for a normal best ever compilation.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 09 Oct 2017 19:30

If you include loanees who went on to sign permanently in this thread (and I don't see why you shouldn't), Steve Death wins hands down. His loan spell with us before signing perm was unbelievable.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2017 19:34

Dopey question. Matt Upson, no contest. Arguably one of the best players I have seen in a Reading shirt.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2017 20:53

AthleticoSpizz
From Despair To Where? Tommy Wright

Matt Upson

Ryan Bertrand

in no particular order
totally this, with honourable mentions for the big yank, Dave Lee and johny salad

Dave Madden and Ben Roberts despite their relatively short stays weren't too shabby iirc....the latters loan deal ending prematurely due to injury following a totally heroic save.

Tommy Wright was just immense, in the post Shaka keeping slump, he came in and gave us stability for 3 months. It wasn't just his playing ability, he marshalled the defence superbly. Much like Upson, one of those players who just made the team 25% better simply by being on the pitch.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 09 Oct 2017 21:29

That have signed since I've been a fan.

The trio of Leigertwood, Griffin and Khizhanishvilli stand out for me.

The one that I wanted to work the most but didn't was Heidur Gunnar Thorvaldsson.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 09 Oct 2017 21:35

Broxroyal If you include loanees who went on to sign permanently in this thread (and I don't see why you shouldn't), Steve Death wins hands down. His loan spell with us before signing perm was unbelievable.

A big +1 for this. If only loans that did not sign then I'm in the Matty Upson camp.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 09 Oct 2017 21:43

ayjaydee
Broxroyal If you include loanees who went on to sign permanently in this thread (and I don't see why you shouldn't), Steve Death wins hands down. His loan spell with us before signing perm was unbelievable.

A big +1 for this. If only loans that did not sign then I'm in the Matty Upson camp.

This. Upson the winner if you don't include loanees who later became permanent.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Oct 2017 23:39

Sutekh
genome
maffff Sekou Baradji

In a particular era there was:

Hunts knee

Then came:
Jimmys sock
and
Bikeys spandex

But on a serious note; would Cywka count winning that penalty at Bristol City?
Last edited by royalp-we on 09 Oct 2017 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Oct 2017 23:42

Oh and our best loanee between Upson, Chadwick, Salako, but possibly Marcus Hahnemann the best for us in the long run though.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 10 Oct 2017 09:03

For sheer guts, Tony Witter deserves a mention. Pretty sure it was 1994 Can't remember who we were playing, might have been Millwall, Tony played the second half with a broken leg. :o

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2017 09:06

Was Steve Mautone a loan signing? Utterly immense from my early Elm Park memories - remember him saving a pen and just generally being a hero in a pretty poor period for us.