Jordan Obita out for the season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jordan Obita out for the season

by Hound » 11 Oct 2017 15:48

alfie9 We now have one senior striker and no left backs. But hey at least we have like 10 center mids

What position does Omar Richards play then?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2017 16:06

I wasn't at the Hull game and I don't know a lot about Richards but are we really putting faith into another 19 yr-old with no first team experience? Much the same as those crying out for Smith to lead the line?

I'm not saying I don't believe in youth and everyone has to start somewhere, but we need to seriously consider our options.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Oct 2017 16:24

And what options are those?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Oct 2017 16:25

well Blackett is going to stay LB isn't he? Thats not likely to change in a hurry.

And hopefully Richards can start getting a few games and a bit of time here and there. And if he is any good make the position his own over the next few months.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2017 16:44

genome And what options are those?

I'd say stick Ilori on the left and go 4 at the back or even Gunter at LB which he's done a couple of times and McCleary as a RWB in a five

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Oct 2017 18:45

John Smith
genome And what options are those?

I'd say stick Ilori on the left and go 4 at the back or even Gunter at LB which he's done a couple of times and McCleary as a RWB in a five

Who was the famous manager who said something along the lines of "if the first team left back is injured I would play the reserve left back, if the reserve left back is injured i would play the under 18s left back"?

Blackett is unquestionably going to keep his place in the team at LB and I would think putting a right footed CB at LB would be an accident waiting to happen. Richards is our second best option provided Watson is not fit and ready to play RB in Gunters absence.

Personally i think the time is right for a young academy player to take his chance in an underperforming team. Lets not rule out Richards making an impact.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Oct 2017 19:31

Disappointing and frustrating, but not wholly unsurprising.

Blackett's had some decent performances on the left despite having a couple of recent nightmares. He's a better crosser than Gunter and more positive, but rather more error prone.

Richards hasn't looked anything other than adequate to sit on the bench, but you never know.

If Blackett were to stay in terrible form or get injured I'd rather see Gunter left and Watson (if fit) or McCleary on the right than Richards to start more than a handful.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 11 Oct 2017 21:01

Snowflake Royal Richards hasn't looked anything other than adequate to sit on the bench, but you never know.

Just wondering what you're basing this on? He hasn't exactly been playing regularly...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Oct 2017 21:19

Y21
Snowflake Royal Richards hasn't looked anything other than adequate to sit on the bench, but you never know.

Just wondering what you're basing this on? He hasn't exactly been playing regularly...

Basing it on what I've seen of him on the pitch. There's potential, but he didn't really look ready to me. He looks some way behind Watson did last season in his odd cameos. To me at least. Obviously there's not much to go on, but I'd say he hasn't seized his chance. Nor fumbled it, of course.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Oct 2017 22:30

This is oxf*rd disastrous, and is precisely the type of news which confounds an already shitty situation and further reiterates my belief that this is going to be one of those seasons. Perhaps last season was a blip but I expect this to go much the same way as the previous two before that. oxf*rd atrocious but just a tad too good to go down.

Glad I'm not in the country right now.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Oct 2017 22:32

Snowflake Royal [b]Richards hasn't looked anything other than adequate to sit on the bench, but you never know.

Maybe being pedantic but have a problem with that statement. By definition if you were ONLY going to sit on the bench then it wouldn't matter if you were even a footballer full stop. Heck, it doesn't even matter if you have legs.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Oct 2017 23:04

John Smith Absolute tragedy.

Emergency loan needed asap - i.e. this week

Is Peter Whittingham available?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2017 07:23

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal [b]Richards hasn't looked anything other than adequate to sit on the bench, but you never know.

Maybe being pedantic but have a problem with that statement. By definition if you were ONLY going to sit on the bench then it wouldn't matter if you were even a footballer full stop. Heck, it doesn't even matter if you have legs.

Only if you want to take a stupidly literal understanding of it. Every football fan knows that the role of being named substitute is to be ready and able to come on and play in a game if necessary.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2017 07:46

How many minutes has Richards had? Certainly not enough to make a proper overall judgment on his readiness, and by a few accounts he did well against Norwich

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Oct 2017 07:48

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

Only if you want to take a stupidly literal understanding of it. Every football fan knows that the role of being named substitute is to be ready and able to come on and play in a game if necessary.

I was 100% being stupidly literal and pedantic. :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Oct 2017 08:24

He looked ok against Norwich. I didn't think he had a great game against Gillingham but wasn't awful. He looks pretty quick.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Oct 2017 08:27

Terrible news, hope the recovery goes well. Got a lot of time for Obita, good genuine player. GWS Beets.

As for Saturday I can only see a back four of Gunter, McShane, Ilori and Blackett with JVDB sat in front. So expect another turgid, defensive display :|

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Oct 2017 08:32

CountryRoyal This is oxf*rd disastrous, and is precisely the type of news which confounds an already shitty situation and further reiterates my belief that this is going to be one of those seasons. Perhaps last season was a blip but I expect this to go much the same way as the previous two before that. oxf*rd atrocious but just a tad too good to go down.

Glad I'm not in the country right now.

I hate being pedantic but this is very true. A tragedy is a series of unfortunate accidents of which this is one.

Pepe the Horseman
John Smith Absolute tragedy.

Emergency loan needed asap - i.e. this week

Is Peter Whittingham available?

:D :D :D :D . Very good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2017 10:31

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Maybe being pedantic but have a problem with that statement. By definition if you were ONLY going to sit on the bench then it wouldn't matter if you were even a footballer full stop. Heck, it doesn't even matter if you have legs.

I was 100% being stupidly literal and pedantic. :lol:

Mwah! :P

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2017 10:34

Muskrat Terrible news, hope the recovery goes well. Got a lot of time for Obita, good genuine player. GWS Beets.

As for Saturday I can only see a back four of Gunter, McShane, Ilori and Blackett with JVDB sat in front. So expect another turgid, defensive display :|

Could be a 5 with them, JVDB @ CB and Blackett WB.
Basically the same thing admittedly.