MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

111 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

by Sutekh » 18 Oct 2017 10:38

When : Saturday 21st October, 3pm
Where : Bramall Lane, Sheffield, S2 4SU
Capacity : 32,702
Away Stand : Behind the goal in the Redbrik Estate Agency Stand (usually the upper tier)
What might I see in the area : steel (but no sapphire)

October really is a poor month for league fixtures due to the stupid international break. After nothing in the first week, there was the long trek to Leeds and now this long ******* of a trek to Sheffield. Now you'd think league would set it so that clubs would not get this sort of idiot fixture organisation that leaves such long gaps between home games and a chance to see your heroes being embarrassing at home again.

Sheffield United are the surprise package so far and this is definitely going to be the hardest game Reading have had so far as the Blades are actually fairly useful and well capable of beating anyone in this division by the look of things so a Reading team that can be very erratic at times is not going to phase them in the slightest.

So one wonders whether this game will see the usual misfiring Reading turn up or the one that did rather well for themselves at Leeds last week to show exactly what they can do when they put their minds to it. If the latter then just perhaps Reading's season has just kicked off. If the former then it's going to be a very long season.

Sheffield will have bright prospect (chased by Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle apparently) David Brooks fit and ready to continue his, so far, stunning form but defender Kieron Freeman is likely to be missing after suffering a suspected dislocated knee last week. Reading will be without; Kermorgant, Harriott, Watson, Swift, Obita etc. McShane is also doubtful with his hamstring problem.

Referee

Nottinghamshire's David Coote takes control of this one, his first Reading game for almost a year

Previously

05 Nov 2016 > Wigan Athletic 0-3 Reading
17 Sep 2016 > Barnsley 1-2 Reading
12 Jan 2016 > Derby County 1-1 Reading
22 Aug 2015 > Reading 0-0 MK Dons
16 Feb 2014 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-3 Reading
07 Dec 2013 > Reading 1-2 AFC Bournemouth
03 Aug 2013 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town
11 Feb 2012 > Reading 2-0 Coventry City

Historically

Another club where league visits were unknown until the late 1970s. Since then Reading have made 18 trips the the Lane and not done too badly to date by recording 5 victories to 7 defeats. Nothing but a point to show from the last couple of visits though. Reading have scored 18 league goals in the 18 visits compared to 25 from the Blades.

Sheffield United ave racked up home wins over Derby and Wolves so far in a run that has seen them win 5 out of 6 (Norwich beating them 1-0 just over a month ago). Oddly they have yet to record a draw in any competitive game since 25th March (that's a run of 21 games). They have also only failed to score at home on two occasions in 2017.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

by Hound » 18 Oct 2017 10:55

Yann and Swift definitely out? I was hoping to see both on the bench tbh

edit: confirmed by Stam, Swift, Yann and McShane are in contention. Swift likely in the squad. Evans def out

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield United (a) sponsored by one swallow does not a summer make

by Royals and Racers » 18 Oct 2017 19:49

" October really is a poor month for league fixtures due to the stupid international break. After nothing in the first week, there was the long trek to Leeds and now this long ******* of a trek to Sheffield. Now you'd think league would set it so that clubs would not get this sort of idiot fixture organisation that leaves such long gaps between home games and a chance to see your heroes being embarrassing at home again."

Why couldn`t Reading have arranged the match against Barnsley for yesterday the 17th ??

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Oct 2017 20:35

Did wonder that myself. Midweeks without any football are pretty dull, and the fixtures seem very spread out this month

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Oct 2017 23:39

I'd rather give Yann all the time he needs and not rush him back. Obviously we don't know the full extent of his recovery but I'd be a little cautious about throwing him in just yet.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Oct 2017 08:03

Do we stick with Bacuna at RB and Gunter at LB? It looked pretty good last game? I guess the only worry is if they have a great right winger (don't know the opposition very well) Gunter might get caught out?

Hopefully Barrow and Bodvarson start.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Oct 2017 08:08

NewCorkSeth Do we stick with Bacuna at RB and Gunter at LB? It looked pretty good last game? I guess the only worry is if they have a great right winger (don't know the opposition very well) Gunter might get caught out?

He's surely less likely to get caught out than Blackett?

I'd prefer the whole back 4 as it was in the last game, thought they were good.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Oct 2017 08:14

muirinho
NewCorkSeth Do we stick with Bacuna at RB and Gunter at LB? It looked pretty good last game? I guess the only worry is if they have a great right winger (don't know the opposition very well) Gunter might get caught out?

I guess that is true. I feel like Blacketts mistakes are often just more noticeable than others. He often does quite solid work only to make an obvious blunder and lose all the good will he's built up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2017 08:26

muirinho

Wondering how much of the Leeds line up and performance was forced on him due to McShane being missing and having to adjust the team around the change. If McShane is fit might we see the same old line up and performance problems again?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Oct 2017 09:33

Id be absolutely horrified if he dropped Ilori again after an away clean sheet

Think it'll be much the same side, if not exactly the same side. Barrow may start, but other than that, no reason to change

Will hopefully see Swift and Yann on the bench though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2017 17:17

NewCorkSeth
muirinho

I guess that is true. I feel like Blacketts mistakes are often just more noticeable than others. He often does quite solid work only to make an obvious blunder and lose all the good will he's built up.

This. His last 2 or 3 appearances had some howlers, but before that he was playing really well. Rarely looks comfortable, but that can be deceiving

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 21 Oct 2017 01:16

thanks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 13:29

No McCleary or Bod (must be injured)

Big loss that with Dadi

Barrow and Blackett back in, otherwise pretty much as expected. No Yann on the bench yet

A lot less confident to be honest with that lineup

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2017 13:32

Reading XI : Mannone, Gunter, Moore, Berg, Blackett, Bacuna, Ilori, Edwards, Beerens, Barrow, Aluko

Subs : Jaakkola, Swift, McShane, Richards, Clement, Kelly, Smith

Let me guess, Bod is injured.... :roll:

Wonder if GMac is injured as well or just dropped for a rest.

Think we can all guess what to expect by way of a performance today

And if they are injured just what do Reading do in training, other clubs dont get this sort of malaise continually and Reading never did before Stam and his team arrived.

Or perhaps we’re all wrong and they’ve just been dropped

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Oct 2017 14:05

Sutekh Reading XI : Mannone, Gunter, Moore, Berg, Blackett, Bacuna, Ilori, Edwards, Beerens, Barrow, Aluko

And if they are injured just what do Reading do in training, other clubs dont get this sort of malaise continually and Reading never did before Stam and his team arrived.

Yep. wondering the same. But hey-ho, back to ponderous sideways/backwards passing in 4-6-0. Stam clearly wants the LCFC job.

Shots on target for RFC prediction - 1. Result : SUFC whatever they want, RFC Nil.

Looking forward to this!!

Sorry forgot to mention SUFC playing Leon Clarke and Billy Sharp up front. Sharp has 55 goals from 94 starts since rejoining SUFC, and Clarke 11 from 20. We have ..... Oh, wait ... :roll:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2017 14:10

Sutekh Reading XI : Mannone, Gunter, Moore, Berg, Blackett, Bacuna, Ilori, Edwards, Beerens, Barrow, Aluko

Wishful thinking I know but I hope the line-up is:
------------------Mannone---------------------
-----------Ilori---Moore---Blackett---------
Bacuna---------------------------------Gunter
-----------Edwards----JVDB------------------
Aluko-----------------------------------Barrow
-------------------Beerens----------------------

Aluko is wasted centrally imo as he is constantly too far back to be effective in finishing moves. Beerens is often anonymous so why not stick him up front and hope the oppositions forget about him?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2017 14:17

strap

Yep. wondering the same. But hey-ho, back to ponderous sideways/backwards passing in 4-6-0. Stam clearly wants the LCFC job.

Shots on target for RFC prediction - 1. Result : SUFC whatever they want, RFC Nil.

Looking forward to this!!

Sorry forgot to mention SUFC playing Leon Clarke and Billy Sharp up front. Sharp has 55 goals from 94 starts since rejoining SUFC, and Clarke 11 from 20. We have ..... Oh, wait ... :roll:

C'mon now Strap. It is time to retire the "we have no striker" diatribe. We get it. Everyone on the board knows your feelings about it. Lets get back to criticisms something can be done about.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Oct 2017 14:19

With Smith on the bench Bod must be injured, he played so well last week. surely Stam can`t be THAT stupid?.....can he? :shock:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2017 14:35

Of course Bod is injured

It is a worry how we keep picking up these injuries in training. Prob right not to risk Yann

J low suggesting Gunter is cb by saying Bacuna and Blackett playing like wingers

ForzaRoyals

by ForzaRoyals » 21 Oct 2017 14:39

Anyone found a link to a stream?

111 posts