Relegation

1865 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 10:03

genome Hmm... I don't know. It'd be easy to get rid of the deadwood, we could rebuild the squad with young and hungry players, and get the fans back onside again. It certainly worked for Southampton.

It wouldn't be great, and obviously I would rather stay up, but it's not certain death for the club.

most of the deadwood is on a longish term lucrative contract though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 10:04

They could have relegation clauses. Or maybe I've been playing too much Football Manager...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jan 2018 10:11

Hound Division 1 would be crap tbh. All very well if you do a Wigan and have a great season, but as much chance of doing a Charlton or MKD

Any decent players we have would leave and it'd be back to square 1.

Id rather stay in the champ

nah, clubs we haven't played for years, a bit of a change, a new manager, more of a reason to focus on young players coming through. I wouldn't mind it at all tbh

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jan 2018 10:18

Would have no issue going down as long asa it wouldn't financially kill us. We would re-invest in youth and build a new, fresh team to push for promotion.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2018 10:29

I also think that relegation could be a good way to 'wipe the slate clean'. It just feels to me that there has been this huge grey cloud hanging over the club ever since McDermott was fired the first time. Since then we're just had a variety of managers we didn't like, owners we didn't trust, and players that we never grew to love. There's been the odd great game thanks to the FA cup but apart from that little to get excited about.

Lets start again with a new manager, new batch of players (including some youth), new opponents and a chance to build a team that knows how to battle - because you're not getting out of League One on the basis of tactics or individuals skill.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Jan 2018 10:58

Elm Park Kid I also think that relegation could be a good way to 'wipe the slate clean'. It just feels to me that there has been this huge grey cloud hanging over the club ever since McDermott was fired the first time. Since then we're just had a variety of managers we didn't like, owners we didn't trust, and players that we never grew to love. There's been the odd great game thanks to the FA cup but apart from that little to get excited about.

Lets start again with a new manager, new batch of players (including some youth), new opponents and a chance to build a team that knows how to battle - because you're not getting out of League One on the basis of tactics or individuals skill.

Are you kidding? I started watching in 1962 and spent 30 odd years watching us in the lower divisions. Believe me it isn't much fun. We must protect out championship status at whatever cost

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 11:00

as mentioned though, we have loads of players on long contracts. We can't just wipe the slate clean.

I think thats a fairly idealistic way of looking at it. Id imagine keeping a lot of the players we don't really want, losing the likes of Swift, Moore and Barrow and just playing loads of Burton style teams week in week out.

It *might* get better. But Id rather stay in this division, get a decent manager in, and choose who we want to keep etc

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2018 11:10

Anyone actually thinking relegation would be good is a lunatic. We spent years trying to get into the 2nd tier we shouldn’t be giving that away so meekly.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 03 Jan 2018 11:15

leon Anyone actually thinking relegation would be good is a lunatic. We spent years trying to get into the 2nd tier we shouldn’t be giving that away so meekly.

+1 and similar things about wiping the slate clean and starting again were said about the drop from Prem to Champo last time out. It doesn't work that way unfortunately, unless you're a big club with huge assets to offload like Newcastle did last year.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jan 2018 11:17

paddy20 We must protect out championship status at whatever cost

at whatever cost?? what if the owners started executing people at the stadium like they used to in Kabul? would that be ok as long as we retain our Championship status?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 03 Jan 2018 11:27

Winston Biscuit

at whatever cost?? what if the owners started executing people at the stadium like they used to in Kabul? would that be ok as long as we retain our Championship status?

They can start with the ones that were on the pitch last night.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 03 Jan 2018 11:56

The sooner the team realise they are in a relegation battle the better, might mean they will show some fight. If not we are just going to be out battled by teams (Birmingham, Burton) who know they are in a relegation battle.

If there is a chance we will get relegated at Cardiff (a) are we still brining inflatables I vote yes

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jan 2018 12:23

I think the players know that they are in a relegation battle which is why their heads drop when we fall behind in games. The issue is that there's a lack of leadership and too many players out of form and a system too savvy for the quality of our team.

The club need to do whatever it takes to avoid relegation. League one is poor but it's a damn hard league to get out of. It took us 4 years to get out of the 3rd tier last time. It took Sheffield United 6 seasons, Sheffield Wednesday and Bristol City were down there for 3 seasons as well. Blackpool dropped into league 2 thereafter relegation.

It's a risky strategy and the youth players may not be up to that level of football.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 03 Jan 2018 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jan 2018 12:26

leon Anyone actually thinking relegation would be good is a lunatic. We spent years trying to get into the 2nd tier we shouldn’t be giving that away so meekly.

Absolutely - some of these comments....dreary me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 12:34

No-one should want us to go down, that's silly. I was just saying that sometimes clubs bounce back stronger as a result.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 03 Jan 2018 12:41

Division 1 would be terrible. There is little between the standard of Div1,Div2 and the National Conference these days. The difference between the Championship and Div One in terms of club size and football standard is gigantic.

double d

by double d » 03 Jan 2018 12:53

At least it would weed away the moaning fans who have been supporting us since 2007

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2018 14:06

Winston Biscuit

Yeah, start with the East Stand

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 14:10

Snowball
Winston Biscuit

Yeah, start with the East Stand

I'd suggest the moaning highly irritating 15 year old kids who sit next to me. Then the moany old folk who sat behind me yesterday and kept calling Liam Moore 'Garath McCleary'.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 03 Jan 2018 14:27

League one would undo all of that hard work put together in the early 2000’s, it’s simply shocking how much damage the Tevreden, Gourlay and Stam have done to the club in such a short space of time. Stam is being utterly selfish, he knows his time is up we apparently can’t sack him due to FFP but he’s going to continue to wind the fans and players up by his existence. We have to cash in on Moore to save the club.

1865 posts