Relegation

1865 posts
DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 18 Mar 2018 17:43

Still think Reid leaving has left a big hole in the managerial team and one that sadly Gilkes has not filled adequately...

...would love to know the real reason he "left", considering he did so with no job in the pipeline..

For me, I think there was a difference of opinions between him and Stam..

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2018 17:49

Snowflake Royal
Yeah... I can only imagine how certain everyone would be that we wouldn't get another win or draw if we'd just lost seven games in a row like Birmingham had.

BUT THEY CHANGED THEIR MANAGER TO GET THAT RESULT

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Mar 2018 18:05

Snowball
Snowflake Royal
Yeah... I can only imagine how certain everyone would be that we wouldn't get another win or draw if we'd just lost seven games in a row like Birmingham had.

:lol:

Well quite

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 18 Mar 2018 18:07

Snowball
Snowflake Royal

Ian :lol:

Berry

by Berry » 18 Mar 2018 18:30

So did Sunderland and look way they are....If you really think changing the manager now will stop us getting relegated your delusional..We will need at least 10 points from 24...Even Pep couldnt get the squad to do that in what will be roughly 6 weeks

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 18 Mar 2018 18:47

Berry So did Sunderland and look way they are....If you really think changing the manager now will stop us getting relegated your delusional..We will need at least 10 points from 24...Even Pep couldnt get the squad to do that in what will be roughly 6 weeks

You're speaking absolute shit, berry. Sorry.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Mar 2018 18:48

It's obvious that this squad can finish at least midtable at this level. Injuries and incompetence by Stam are why we are deep in the brown stuff

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2018 18:55

DOYLERSAROYALER Still think Reid leaving has left a big hole in the managerial team and one that sadly Gilkes has not filled adequately...

...would love to know the real reason he "left", considering he did so with no job in the pipeline..

How would you know this?

If you think a coach leaving is the difference between us finishing 3rd to being on the brink of relegation then you're not very bright.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 18:55

Berry So did Sunderland and look way they are....If you really think changing the manager now will stop us getting relegated your delusional..We will need at least 10 points from 24...Even Pep couldnt get the squad to do that in what will be roughly 6 weeks

I reckon a new manager, lining up with something like

Mannone
Gunter Ephick Moore Richards
Bacuna Swift Kelly
Bod Smith/Yann/Martin Barrow

And sticking with it Would get at least a couple of wins personally

Doubt we need more than 7 points either

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2018 18:56

Snowball
Snowflake Royal
It objectively could be worse. We could have lost against Bolton, Leeds, Derby and Forest.

You mean we could be IN the bottom three with a GD at least 4 goals worse?

Snowflake Royal
We could be conceding 3s, 4s and 5s rather than 2s and 3s, we could be scoring fewer.

Just to be clear, we have conceded 3 goals in 4 out of the last 6 games.

We are most clearly getting WORSE defensively

FYI
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 18 Mar 2018 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 18:57

Old Man Andrews
DOYLERSAROYALER Still think Reid leaving has left a big hole in the managerial team and one that sadly Gilkes has not filled adequately...

How would you know this?

If you think a coach leaving is the difference between us finishing 3rd to being on the brink of relegation then you're not very bright.

I’m sure it’s contributed though. We look a poorly coached side. Confusion as to what to do on the ball, lack of decent movement etc. Shambles at the back and from set pieces. It all points to the coaching, and tbf these were not major problems in most games last year

Berry

by Berry » 18 Mar 2018 19:00

Awayawayaway

You're speaking absolute shit, berry. Sorry.[/quote

Apology taken...Opinions...Personally I think Stam should of gone ages ago...My point is, it is too late now, damage done, it wouldnt matter who came in or what permutation of players, the spirit is gone

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2018 19:02

Hound
Old Man Andrews

How would you know this?

I’m sure it’s contributed though. We look a poorly coached side. Confusion as to what to do on the ball, lack of decent movement etc. Shambles at the back and from set pieces. It all points to the coaching, and tbf these were not major problems in most games last year

Nah not having any of it. Reid leaving has nothing to do with the shambles of a team we have become, it's all on Stam.

IF it is anything to do with Reid then the players are even weaker than I thought, which is pretty bloody weak.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 19:05

I blame Stam entirely as well. But that includes making a poor change on the coaching side. It’s all under his management

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2018 19:09

Hound I blame Stam entirely as well. But that includes making a poor change on the coaching side. It’s all under his management

I can't blame him for Reid going. Didn't Palace approach him? Can't blame Reid for stepping up a level. I doubt he chose Gilkes as a replacement either, Stam doesn't get his hands dirty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 19:11

Old Man Andrews
Hound I blame Stam entirely as well. But that includes making a poor change on the coaching side. It’s all under his management

I can't blame him for Reid going. Didn't Palace approach him? Can't blame Reid for stepping up a level. I doubt he chose Gilkes as a replacement either, Stam doesn't get his hands dirty.

Nah Reid left without a job to go to.

It would be absolutely ridiculous if the manager didnt be a big part of choosing the head coach. Wouldn’t put it past us but doubt it

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2018 19:12

It's obviously a massive combination of things, from the Play Off hangover and distinctly lacking pre-season, through Reid leaving and Gilkes obviously not (yet) being at the same standard, failing to sign a second striker, spunking millions on Aluko, ostracising Popa, endless injuries, chucking a daft new contract at Kermorgant before he was playing and scoring, constantly under-using Bodvarsson, poor team selection, no consistent starting XI, not just down to injuries, the passivity and grumbling in the stands, absentee owners, Tevreden and Gourlay's poor performance and some genuinely spectacularly horrendous individual errors early on that dropped us points and left us playing catch up from the word go.

Which is why a simple change of management now won't solve it. The problem is far bigger than just doing whatever possible to stay up this season too. Birmingham managed to sneak into staying up last year with a short-termist appointment, and they're right back in the shit this season, with yet another managerial change. Personally I don't see a managerial change making much difference for us in the short term*, and I certainly can't see much chance of bringing in someone who would actually do anything long term.

*When was the last time an external candidate came in and turned us around from very poor? I can't think of one in over 20 years! I can't see Gilkes, Ulderink or anyone else inside already doing it.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Mar 2018 19:13

Just realised that since our last League win at Burton, we have conceded 20 goals in 9 games with no clean sheets. That's well over 2 a game. Before that, we had conceded 37 in 29 league games. OUCH!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2018 19:14

I think we are going down, but to say we need ten points is BONKERS

We need to match the points of the four sides below us, and we have 3 points as a buffer.

20 38 -13 36 Reading
21 38 -19 33 Barnsley
22 38 -29 33 Birmingham
23 38 -40 30 Burton
24 38 -30 28 Sunderland

None of the teams below us have managed an average of 1 point per game
but even if they do for the last 8 games (and TWO of them need to do that)
we would then probably only need 5 points, unless we get some severe hammering
and lose our "extra point" of goal-difference

Sunderland have to match us AND pick up 8/9 extra points
Burton have to match us and pick up an extra 6/7 points.

Barnsley and Birmingham have to match us plus 3 points, probably four.

Also of interest is that our rivals will be playing each other. So, say for example, Birmingham find some decent form after their 3-0 win, well they are playing Burton and Bolton.

Six pointers are

Barnsley v Bolton
Birmingham v Burton
Birmingham v Bolton
Burton v Hull
Burton v Bolton
Burton v Hull

and of course

Reading v Sunderland

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2018 19:15

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Nah Reid left without a job to go to.

It would be absolutely ridiculous if the manager didnt be a big part of choosing the head coach. Wouldn’t put it past us but doubt it

Just can't see him narrowing down candidates and going through the recruitment process. I think Gilles was a very symbolic appointment made by Gourlay in an attempt to connect with the supporters. Have you ever watched Gilles before a game in the warm up? Does very, very little coaching.

One day when Stam had gone we will find out exactly what went wrong, reckon it will be an interesting story!

1865 posts