Sheffield Utd - Back from the game

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sheffield Utd - Back from the game

by leon » 24 Oct 2017 13:22

Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal Matchday squad experience.
The chance to give him a run out if we're winning (lol) with a few minutes to go. It's not like places on the bench are at a premium with 7 slots.
Would you have been happy if Stam named only 6 subs because he didn't intend to plau him at all?

And perhaps, Stam didn't think he's good enough to start, but might be a useful option depending on circumstance compared to the other forwards he didn't start.

It only takes a tiny bit of effort to come up with perfectly reasonable explanations.

He's obviously being groomed as a possible genuine first teamer, but equally as obvious isn't ready or what we need right now.

So bringing on McShane up top for the last few minutes v Sheff Utd was a better option than Smith? Having Smith on the bench and not choosing to use him when we're desperate for a goal isn't gonna do the young lads confidence any good is it? Surely he couldn't do any worse than the rest of our current (uninjured) options?

All Stam has to say is; " No pressure young man. Just go out there and enjoy it".

Clearly Stam thought so. From the little I've seen of Smith, he's certainly not a target man who will trouble senior Championship CBs any time soon. So if Stam brought on McShane and pushed him forward maybe that's what he wanted.

And maybe he thought sending out the club captain might add a bit of leadership.

It's really not hard to think of perfectly reasonable and logical reasons for putting Smith on the bench and not bringing him on if you just engage your brain for a second and give it a shot. You don't have to agree with them just think of what they might be to avoid asking stupud questions.

Not sure why you are being so obnoxious. All valid questions I'd say.

I'm sure you wouldn't talk to them like that in real life.

And nice spelling of stupid btw

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Oct 2017 13:50

Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal Matchday squad experience.
The chance to give him a run out if we're winning (lol) with a few minutes to go. It's not like places on the bench are at a premium with 7 slots.
Would you have been happy if Stam named only 6 subs because he didn't intend to plau him at all?

And perhaps, Stam didn't think he's good enough to start, but might be a useful option depending on circumstance compared to the other forwards he didn't start.

It only takes a tiny bit of effort to come up with perfectly reasonable explanations.

He's obviously being groomed as a possible genuine first teamer, but equally as obvious isn't ready or what we need right now.

So bringing on McShane up top for the last few minutes v Sheff Utd was a better option than Smith? Having Smith on the bench and not choosing to use him when we're desperate for a goal isn't gonna do the young lads confidence any good is it? Surely he couldn't do any worse than the rest of our current (uninjured) options?

All Stam has to say is; " No pressure young man. Just go out there and enjoy it".

Clearly Stam thought so. From the little I've seen of Smith, he's certainly not a target man who will trouble senior Championship CBs any time soon. So if Stam brought on McShane and pushed him forward maybe that's what he wanted.

And maybe he thought sending out the club captain might add a bit of leadership.

It's really not hard to think of perfectly reasonable and logical reasons for putting Smith on the bench and not bringing him on if you just engage your brain for a second and give it a shot. You don't have to agree with them just think of what they might be to avoid asking stupud questions.

Wow. Don't think there was any need for the insult was there?
It doesn't really matter that Smith might not be a target man kind of striker. He is a striker! . You really think McShane with his lack of pace and very limited striking ability is the better option? Then that's your opinion and I have mine. No need to be a Dick about it Ian...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2017 17:03

Apologies, you'll have to forgive me. I find it incredibly frustrating that people ask questions with such obvious answers just because they happen to disagree with the manager's decisions. I've probably been harsh and less patient than I should by conflating you with two or three people asking similar related questions.

The issue here seems to me to be simply based on disagreement with Stam's decision assuming that an academy player most people hadn't heard of three months ago must automatically be good enough to play because we're struggling, despite having shown nothing for anyone to think that.

I don't have an opinion on whether it was the right decision, I'm merely pointing out Smith is far from any sort of saviour he seems to being painted as (until he has a disappointing run in the team when he'll be overrated and a total waste of space), and that it is not surprising for a manager to stick a big CB upfront late on, or to want the influence of the club captain on the pitch when things aren't going well.

I wasn't trying to debate the merits of the obvious reasons why Stam may have made his choices, merely pointing out they existed.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Oct 2017 17:36

Snowflake Royal Apologies, you'll have to forgive me. I find it incredibly frustrating that people ask questions with such obvious answers just because they happen to disagree with the manager's decisions. I've probably been harsh and less patient than I should by conflating you with two or three people asking similar related questions.

The issue here seems to me to be simply based on disagreement with Stam's decision assuming that an academy player most people hadn't heard of three months ago must automatically be good enough to play because we're struggling, despite having shown nothing for anyone to think that.

I don't have an opinion on whether it was the right decision, I'm merely pointing out Smith is far from any sort of saviour he seems to being painted as (until he has a disappointing run in the team when he'll be overrated and a total waste of space), and that it is not surprising for a manager to stick a big CB upfront late on, or to want the influence of the club captain on the pitch when things aren't going well.

I wasn't trying to debate the merits of the obvious reasons why Stam may have made his choices, merely pointing out they existed.

Indeed there are many reasons - one of which was quoted (by you) that Smith may have been there to be given some match time in case we were winning. When the hell have we been in that kind of comfortable this season, let alone away and let alone when we have had no recognised striker on the pitch? That has no logic and isn't therefore 'such an obvious answer'. I'm not claiming Smith is Maradonna but he is a striker unlike the 17 other players who were on the team sheet ...

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 24 Oct 2017 19:56

A lot of people see Kermie's return, whenever that is, as the saving of our season .. he will probably go straight into the first team having had no pre season never mind the chance to get up to speed, whereas Smith has been playing week in, week out and is ready to go .. with all the weight of expectation being placed on Kermie's shoulders we'll be right in the shit if he doesn't deliver ..

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Oct 2017 20:18

Dennis the Butler A lot of people see Kermie's return, whenever that is, as the saving of our season .. he will probably go straight into the first team having had no pre season never mind the chance to get up to speed, whereas Smith has been playing week in, week out and is ready to go .. with all the weight of expectation being placed on Kermie's shoulders we'll be right in the shit if he doesn't deliver ..

He has to. He really is our last chance before January, and by then, its more than likely going to be too late.

Unless Kermorgant hits the ground running and magically changes our season, then we're going to meander along the same cost of mediocrity. I don't think it's going to happen, but seeings how Stam has so far demonstrated a complete reluctance to seemingly learn how to succeed match on match then imho, Yann is the only chance at saving his job.

If he isn't the saving grace we all so desperately hope he is, then Stam will be gone by Xmas, guaranteed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2017 20:26

Lol @ Smith being ready to go in the Championship.

I almost wish Stam gives him 5 games to see the reaction from those desperate for him to play for no reason. Almost, it wouldn't benefit us or him IMO.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Oct 2017 20:33

Snowflake Royal Lol @ Smith being ready to go in the Championship.

I almost wish Stam gives him 5 games to see the reaction from those desperate for him to play for no reason. Almost, it wouldn't benefit us or him IMO.

You NEVER know, but I would agree, he's demonstrated nothing to suggest he is ready. The fact he's even in contention as a suggestible option is a oxf*rd up beyond most contemplative comprehension.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2017 20:50

TBH with Yann, he doesn’t have to suddenly play brilliantly, just needs to stay fit and use his experience

We’ve plenty of good players to play round his flick ins and hold up play, and he just needs to be Yann - not suddenly outpacing defenders or scoring worldies

And also think that Dadi is capable of that as well. Tbf to Stam we have 3 big powerful CFs which are central to how we play and they are all injured. Been pretty poor luck

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Oct 2017 21:14

Hound TBH with Yann, he doesn’t have to suddenly play brilliantly, just needs to stay fit and use his experience

We’ve plenty of good players to play round his flick ins and hold up play, and he just needs to be Yann - not suddenly outpacing defenders or scoring worldies

Agreed, I meant his involvement has to coincide with the TEAM suddenly performing better, i.e picking up results. We were fortunate with his very healthy goal return, but even if he wasn't scoring he offered so much to the team's play and its depressingly obvious now its missing.

My point is, even once he's back, unless we start climbing the then Stam's going to find it harder and harder to keep his job imho.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2017 21:33

Yeah agreed

I think even more now than I did at the time, we didn’t realise just how good Yann was second half of last year

TBH it was a travesty AAH was player of the season. Yann was by an absolute mile

I’m confident once we have Swift and Yann/Dadi fit we’ll be a lot better. We have shown we are already in the 12 games so far this year

Which is why I continue to think give Stam November - if we are still sh1t then, I won’t be defending him

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Oct 2017 22:31

Snowflake Royal Lol @ Smith being ready to go in the Championship.

Well we paid 78k euros for a couple of Irish youngsters and pitched them in. You never know eh?

Oh, and one other thing Ian, I would strongly advise not calling me a mong again. Ever.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Oct 2017 22:40

Errr what are you threatening there, leon?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Oct 2017 22:52

genome Errr what are you threatening there, leon?

Well, if hes man enough to call me that, then he's man enough to call me that to my face,

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2017 22:55

CountryRoyal
Hound TBH with Yann, he doesn’t have to suddenly play brilliantly, just needs to stay fit and use his experience

Agreed, I meant his involvement has to coincide with the TEAM suddenly performing better, i.e picking up results. We were fortunate with his very healthy goal return, but even if he wasn't scoring he offered so much to the team's play and its depressingly obvious now its missing.

My point is, even once he's back, unless we start climbing the then Stam's going to find it harder and harder to keep his job imho.

I think we'll play a lot better if we can put out a relatively consistent team and shape that includes a relatively fit senior striker with some experience. Bod, Yann, even Mendes. It would particularly help if you could see the team sheet and have a rough idea who will be playing where for a start.

Calling strap to the thread:
How many times has Stam played the same XI in the league this season?
How many times has he played the same XI for consecutive games?

I'm confident the answer is going to be low, quite probably zero.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Oct 2017 22:56

leon

Well, if hes man enough to call me that, then he's man enough to call me that to my face,

I've absolutely no desire to meet a bellend like you Leon. Happy?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Oct 2017 23:10

Snowflake Royal
leon

As I thought. You're happy to dish it out but not happy to take responsibility for your words in real life. Well you know where I am.

biff

by biff » 24 Oct 2017 23:16

:lol: :lol: :lol: good grief

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 25 Oct 2017 07:55

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

I think we'll play a lot better if we can put out a relatively consistent team and shape that includes a relatively fit senior striker with some experience. Bod, Yann, even Mendes. It would particularly help if you could see the team sheet and have a rough idea who will be playing where for a start.

Calling strap to the thread:
How many times has Stam played the same XI in the league this season?
How many times has he played the same XI for consecutive games?

I'm confident the answer is going to be low, quite probably zero.

Pretty sure they said on BBCRB that the answer to #2 was nil

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2017 08:47

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon

As I thought. You're happy to dish it out but not happy to take responsibility for your words in real life. Well you know where I am.

Seriously are you inviting him for an IRL fight!?