Recent Ex-Players Performing

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1812
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 19:33

Recent Ex-Players Performing

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 26 Oct 2017 09:08

Had a bit of a :| face on over the last couple of weeks watching Match of the Day or the Champ programme on 5. Spotted:

Michael Antonio - back from injury and back amongst the scorers.
Danny Williams looking like a world-beater against Manchester United.
Billy Sharp has scored 5 this season (obvs. one of 'em against us).
Jake Cooper notching an assist for Millwall to win.
Matej Vydra back to his best - scoring one and making the other (7 goals in as many games so far this season).
Glenn Murray netting twice for Brighton.
Lewis Grabban scoring a peach of a goal for his 5th of the season.
Dominic Samuel has also scored 5 this season.
Christ, I think even Tarique Fosu got a mention (just checked and he's scored 7 in 14 apps).

Why did they often all look so utter dogsh1t playing for us, especially the strikers?

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19611
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by genome » 26 Oct 2017 09:11

Many players have left us and have disappointed elsewhere. Kitson, Sonko, etc

Swings and roundabouts

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6601
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Hound » 26 Oct 2017 09:18

yeah its interesting to see, and am pleased to see Williams have a decent game as I think he left us in the 'right' way and good luck to him. Mind you, think that was about his first start of the season

Vydra cost 8m, and clearly has pedigree. There was always a good player in there, but he has been rubbish for a couple of years.

Fosu is the one from that lot that is of the most interest. Sounds like he is doing really well, and maybe someone we should have tried harder to keep hold of. Grabban is the other who we almost certainly could have got if we'd made the effort - do wonder in retrospect if thats what we should have done.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1812
Joined: 24 Mar 2011 19:33

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 26 Oct 2017 09:20

genome wrote:Many players have left us and have disappointed elsewhere. Kitson, Sonko, etc

Swings and roundabouts


'greed - but at least they were decent while they were here.

Don't get me wrong, Danny WIlliams had his moments (and i love him like a brother etc), but the rest were poor for us imho.

Dennis the Butler
Member
Posts: 177
Joined: 10 May 2006 19:13
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Dennis the Butler » 26 Oct 2017 10:00

Christ, even Ryan Edwards scored last weekend !


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3765
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2017 10:27

Clarke broke Vydra and it took an entire season for someone else to fix him. His problems were mental so it really was a case of needing a change of scenery.

Fosu and Samuel are playing at a lower level.

I don't think the descriptions for Williams and Cooper are convincing for them doing much better - they're rather one off.

Antonio needed to leave to get where he is. He wouldn't have had he same career if he'd stayed in our reserves.

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5984
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by CountryRoyal » 26 Oct 2017 10:51

Tanner got the winner for Motherwell to take them to third, whilst we're at it.

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1453
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by PistolPete » 26 Oct 2017 11:01

This thread should be stickied to highlight the shambles modern football has become in England. Great OP by the way, nothing against you at all!

Players and managers are either good enough or not good enough. When a team is doing badly ‘sack the manager!’, when a player does badly ‘drop/sell him!’.

Vydra is a good player, so is Grabban, so potentially were Fosu and Samuel. How do we know? They’d consistently performed at a level of football which supports the suggestion. Sure injuries (Michael Owen) and personal circumstances can take a toll, but it’s usually playing to a players strength and supporting them through a dip in form that get results. What did we do? Decided they were shit and wanted replacements.

Lee Johnson at Bristol City currently has the team in 7th place after a club record straight losses run last season. Alex Ferguson is obviously renowned for being the best ever manager after a very poor start. Brendan Rogers was, in my opinion, a victim of ‘replacement culture’ we have cultivated in England.

What’s the lesson? Give each player the best chance to play well - Play players in the correct position (Aluko!) but be open minded that experimenting often has fantastic results (Victor Moses). Someomes let managers learn from their mistakes at your club, rather than sack them and be better elsewhere. Give youth players more than a couple of games to see if they can step up. Don’t flip flop between tactical philosophies as a knee jerk reaction; things take time!

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1453
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by PistolPete » 26 Oct 2017 11:06

I keep hearing a new manager at Everton would have to wait until January to get his own players in - what a joke!!


Tilehurstsouthbank
Member
Posts: 927
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 15:13

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Oct 2017 11:19

PistolPete wrote:I keep hearing a new manager at Everton would have to wait until January to get his own players in - what a joke!!


Er, that's because the Transfer window is shut. :lol:

User avatar
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1453
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 07:38
Location: 1871

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by PistolPete » 26 Oct 2017 12:05

Tilehurstsouthbank wrote:
PistolPete wrote:I keep hearing a new manager at Everton would have to wait until January to get his own players in - what a joke!!


Er, that's because the Transfer window is shut. :lol:


The joke being that we’ve been conditioned to believe the only way to turn around a teams performances is buying players!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Member
Posts: 927
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 15:13

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Oct 2017 12:27

PistolPete wrote:
Tilehurstsouthbank wrote:
PistolPete wrote:I keep hearing a new manager at Everton would have to wait until January to get his own players in - what a joke!!


Er, that's because the Transfer window is shut. :lol:


The joke being that we’ve been conditioned to believe the only way to turn around a teams performances is buying players!


Looks like I've been whooshed!

Half Biscuit
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: 16 Jan 2016 00:08
Location: Can vary

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Half Biscuit » 26 Oct 2017 16:12

BraisingsteakRoyal wrote:Had a bit of a :| face on over the last couple of weeks watching Match of the Day or the Champ programme on 5. Spotted:

Michael Antonio - back from injury and back amongst the scorers.
Danny Williams looking like a world-beater against Manchester United.
Billy Sharp has scored 5 this season (obvs. one of 'em against us).
Jake Cooper notching an assist for Millwall to win.
Matej Vydra back to his best - scoring one and making the other (7 goals in as many games so far this season).
Glenn Murray netting twice for Brighton.
Lewis Grabban scoring a peach of a goal for his 5th of the season.
Dominic Samuel has also scored 5 this season.
Christ, I think even Tarique Fosu got a mention (just checked and he's scored 7 in 14 apps).

Why did they often all look so utter dogsh1t playing for us, especially the strikers?


Sharp, Vydra, Murray and Grabban are particularly galling in their recent success.
The common denominator?
- They were all on loan and didn't have to care. It's not the way forward.


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3765
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2017 16:39

Murray did an absolutely fine job. And we didn't let him go, we had no choice. So he's rather misplaced there.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4410
Joined: 17 Jun 2008 17:43
Location: Liburd for England

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by SCIAG » 26 Oct 2017 18:39

Murray did very well for us. Sharp wasn't here for very long but wasn't exactly bad. Vydra quite clearly cared but just couldn't shoot.

bagman
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: 29 Aug 2006 15:06

Re: Recent Ex-Players Performing

by bagman » 27 Oct 2017 13:41

Angus MacDonald and Karl MacHugh both let go on frees and are no captaining Barnsley and Motherwell respectively

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ascotexgunner, ayjaydee, Google [Bot], Kebe's apprentice, SCIAG, Snowball, windermereROYAL and 120 guests

It is currently 22 Sep 2018 18:59