BFTG - Middlesbrough

155 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Middlesbrough

by leon » 30 Oct 2017 12:28

LWJ
leon Have you seen us play this season? I have and it's shit anti football.

Genuine question Leon -

What was was your opinion on the Fulham, Bristol City, Villa and Leeds performances?

Fulham, Leeds didn't see
Villa promising
City toothless and dreadful

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 30 Oct 2017 13:33

leon
I know he's trying to make it more fluid and more attacking hence the signings of Aluko and Barrow - both of which I thought were good btw but it isn't working.

It really is a difficult one for me. Sacking Clarke and Adkins and to an extent Rodgers were the right decisions, but I'm still not sure about this time.

I agree the signings were with a more attacking approach in mind - please remember that I don't think his starting 3 would be Aluko/Beerens/Gmac we've just been destroyed by injuries and our failure to get Oliveria.

Even Bodvarsson has been out every other game it seems. (Obviously Stam didn't help himself when he didn't play him and chose to play with no striker)

We've got to keep the faith, at least until Christmas. With Yann coming back and a few more returning from injury we should start to see more of a solid side and I believe a better run of results. Where were we in the table before our last promotion ? I seem to remember we had a shite start to the season then.

@anyone still backing us for a top half finish - PM we can discuss. :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2017 13:40

We didn't play like we have in the last couple of home games last year.

Its not like we are playing the same and just one or two key moments are going against us. This time last year, Beerens and McCleary were playing as proper wingers, whilst Yann or Dom Samuel were playing as proper number 9s. We had a very rigid shape, and very rigid tactics and stuck to them. You absolutely never saw McCleary arsing about in CM, and same for Beerens. Gunter and Obita/Blackett were tucking in behind the wingers to support and get crosses in where possible.

We also stuck pretty much with Swift/Joey/Williams and Evans in CM. Didn't chop and change every game depending on the oppo.

I know at times it could be dull, but we were pretty much rock solid in our line up. We kept the ball, until we could get it out wide (where you knew the wingers would be waiting) and depended on them getting good balls into the box or laying back to Swift to finish off.

It seems like we have implemented some awfully poor attempt at total football where the midfield and forwards just go wherever they want - with no pace or urgency, or desire to attack the opposition defence.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Oct 2017 13:43

LWJ
HeinzGuderian
leon
Fulham, Leeds didn't see
Villa promising
City toothless and dreadful

We were toothless against Fulham too TBF.

90 mins against ten men

See I disagree on Fulham and City - I think we had everything but the finishing required. We dominated City all game should have scored 4 or 5 and then lost because of a a shit clearance. Pretty much the same for Fulham.

I would call that toothless.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2017 13:53

genome
LWJ
HeinzGuderian

90 mins against ten men

See I disagree on Fulham and City - I think we had everything but the finishing required. We dominated City all game should have scored 4 or 5 and then lost because of a a shit clearance. Pretty much the same for Fulham.

Fulham, as I recall, was not good overall. A couple of really good shots, (one scored, one saved) but a general struggle otherwise to make any headway against a team with 10 men from the FIRST minute.

City was just one of those things that happen in the season. They did diddly squat all game except score their one gifted chance while Reading created several really good chances of which two at least would be dead cert goals any other day.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 30 Oct 2017 13:59

genome

What about dreadful?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Oct 2017 14:05

LWJ
genome

What about dreadful?

Villa & Leeds - no
Fulham & Brizzle - not quite dreadful, both had an air of inevitability about them nicking a goal though

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Oct 2017 14:07

genome
LWJ
genome

What about dreadful?

Villa & Leeds - no
Fulham & Brizzle - not quite dreadful, both had an air of inevitability about them nicking a goal though

I would say missing a couple of open goals was pretty dreadful.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Oct 2017 14:11

LWJ
leon
I know he's trying to make it more fluid and more attacking hence the signings of Aluko and Barrow - both of which I thought were good btw but it isn't working.

It really is a difficult one for me. Sacking Clarke and Adkins and to an extent Rodgers were the right decisions, but I'm still not sure about this time.

I agree the signings were with a more attacking approach in mind - please remember that I don't think his starting 3 would be Aluko/Beerens/Gmac we've just been destroyed by injuries and our failure to get Oliveria.

Even Bodvarsson has been out every other game it seems. (Obviously Stam didn't help himself when he didn't play him and chose to play with no striker)

We've got to keep the faith, at least until Christmas. With Yann coming back and a few more returning from injury we should start to see more of a solid side and I believe a better run of results. Where were we in the table before our last promotion ? I seem to remember we had a shite start to the season then.

@anyone still backing us for a top half finish - PM we can discuss. :D

I believe we were 17th or something in February in 11/12. We then went on to win 14/17 games. It was fairly unprecedented and I don't think we can fall back on that.

I still back us for a top half finish, probably even with Stam.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Oct 2017 14:13

You've not been as vocal as usual recently CR, is apathy setting in?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Oct 2017 14:39

People on here judge the performances on the results. we beat Villa and we were good, but for me it wasnt much different to the way we played against Fulham and Bristol city, the only difference being we won .

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Oct 2017 14:46

windermereROYAL People on here judge the performances on the results. we beat Villa and we were good, but for me it wasnt much different to the way we played against Fulham and Bristol city, the only difference being we won .

I don't.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 30 Oct 2017 15:01

Caversham Royal
double d Shower of shit and dreadful. Not one player came out of this looking good. For a legendary defender who walked into the best team man United have had, we cannot defend to save out lives. Worst manager we have had and this club is Now in full blown crisis! Sack stam immediately he is a burden to this club. We need an English manager to manage us. Steve Coppell will be spinning in his bed at the team at the moment. All the good work has been dissolved. Stam out now!!!! Sack the board!!! Bring back madjeski. I hope stam saw me sticking my middle finger up at him the tosser

Steve Clarke was worse.

Not so sure about that.... :?

Questions about his loyalty perhaps but was he that bad tactically ?

Nearly got us to an FA Cup final and arguably the best football we have played in the last two and a half years was at the start of 2015-16 season, before the Fulham debacle !

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Oct 2017 15:13

genome I would call that toothless.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Oct 2017 15:22

Theroyalbox Don't understand the critics of Blackett he's solid defensively gets forward well and puts a great ball in the box - a lot of the time I think its a case of his teammates letting him down.

By not being within 10 yards of where he passed the ball?

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 30 Oct 2017 15:48

Platypuss
Theroyalbox Don't understand the critics of Blackett he's solid defensively gets forward well and puts a great ball in the box - a lot of the time I think its a case of his teammates letting him down.

By not being within 10 yards of where he passed the ball?

not saying he doesn't make mistakes but he makes great passes that players don't get on the end of. I'm trying to make the point he is a scapegoat, amount of mistakes mcshane and Kelly made on sat but people just seem to pick up on Blackett. McShane was easily the worst player on that pitch and the way he got bullied by assomolonga was highlighted by the fact he was about 3 yards away from him for his goal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2017 16:36

Agree about both players. McShane has been a liability this season and Blackett is far better than he gets credit for. Still he hasn’t been brilliant, but then few have. He was best as LCB with Obita outside him - actually worked very well together

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Oct 2017 17:01

genome
LWJ
HeinzGuderian

90 mins against ten men

I would say toothless is never looking like scoring.

Fulham we always looked like we'd put one away eventually with them looking like they could play til xmas and not have a decent chance. And it took stupendous levels of oxf*rd up to fail to beat Bristol 2-0 let alone lose.

We've certainly looked toothless at times, Hull, QPR etc, but not those two.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Oct 2017 18:56

What fun. I would say that toothless is lacking in sharpness or bite.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Oct 2017 18:59

Royal Rother What fun. I would say that toothless is lacking in sharpness or bite.

And less than 1 goal per game on average surely means that our attacking is toothless.

155 posts