Best goal scored at the Mad Stad

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best goal scored at the Mad Stad

by genome » 16 Nov 2017 12:02

From Despair To Where? Personally, I like a passing build up from the back that results in a rocket fired into the top corner from 30yds so Lita's against West Brom it is. (2min 58 in this clip which incidentally also demonstrates just how good James Harper was)

https://youtu.be/b2JchWF-udo

How could I forget this one? Absolutely superb and a good example of our dominance that season in an nutshell.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Nov 2017 13:57

Woodcote Royal
Nameless IT’s Convey against Millwall.
Goals by the opposition come hehind every goal we’ve scored, in joint last place....

+1 How it missed out on goal of the season beggars belief.
Anyone remember which goal won? - Must have been a cracker to beat Convey's.

One personal favourite of mine was from a corner. I don't remember who scored but what I do remember is how the ballboy played a part by placing the ball in the corner arc, Glen Little slow ran down the like towards the corner flag, and without stopping turned and booted it into the box for someone to get on the end of and score, while the opposition who were still working out where to stand were left in shock, having assumed the usual faffing about would happen.
That was also the multi-ball era, the ball boys/girls were effectively part of the team then.

Also, pre-Mad Stad there was a brilliant free kick routine that happened quite often where 3 players would stand around, one would run up to kick the ball and dummy it, the next one would do the same - then pretend to argue about which one of them should have kicked it, meanwhile the 3rd player takes the free kick whilst the opposition at distracted - in the pre-youtube/twitter days it was possible to repeat this time and again - I'd love to see it return to our game

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 16 Nov 2017 19:46

biff At risk of being a heathen, I've never found Lita's overhead that "spectacular". Stood still, 4 yards out, relatively easy vs a lots more of the goals mentioned.

Stood still? Watch the goal again, and just keep your eyes on Lita. Constantly on his toes on the move, anticipated a knock down from a right wing cross, ball rebounds off defender's head high into the air, got himself into position quickly and perfectly, waited for the ball to drop knowing defender or keeper could clatter him at any moment, and timed the overhead to perfection. Whether four yards out or forty, it takes insane athleticism and natural ability to do that.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Nov 2017 19:49

Thanx Leroys’ mum

It was a good goal tho’

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 16 Nov 2017 19:49

Forbury Lion Also, pre-Mad Stad there was a brilliant free kick routine that happened quite often where 3 players would stand around, one would run up to kick the ball and dummy it, the next one would do the same - then pretend to argue about which one of them should have kicked it, meanwhile the 3rd player takes the free kick whilst the opposition at distracted - in the pre-youtube/twitter days it was possible to repeat this time and again - I'd love to see it return to our game

This happened often when Mad Dog was about. Parky and Neil Smith usually have the "argument" and Caskey would take the ensuing free kick. Opposition players wised up to it after a couple when Caskey ended up taking everything :roll:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Nov 2017 20:31

Hendo Kebe v Leicester.

Presume you mean Noel Hunt vs Leicester when Kebe ran the length of the pitch, or have I forgotten another goal?
Forbury Lion
Woodcote Royal
Nameless IT’s Convey against Millwall.
Goals by the opposition come hehind every goal we’ve scored, in joint last place....

+1 How it missed out on goal of the season beggars belief.
Anyone remember which goal won? - Must have been a cracker to beat Convey's.

Lita vs Palace.

Definitely don't want to take anything away from Convey because his goal was a real spectacle, but the defending for his goal against Millwall was dreadful - only a couple of men back and one of them dives in far too late. I think that stops it from quite reaching the level of the very best goals.

A few I haven't seen mentioned, can't necessarily remember the opposition:

- Lita's third best goal of 2005/06 - bouncing ball came to him on the edge of the area, he did a pirouette and volleyed it in at full stretch. Think we were playing Ipswich.
- Doyle in the same season - overhead volley from the right of the area. Not as athletic as Lita's against Palace but probably requiring a greater degree of control on the shot.
- Gylfi's final goal at the Mad Stad for us - real cracker from 20m+ that livened up the match immeasurably.

And for sheer drama:

- Le Fondre vs Chelsea
- McLennan vs Liverpool U18s
- Kermorgant vs Fulham

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Nov 2017 20:35

nobody else at the Blackpool 5-1 then?

No Lol....it was the Adkins era afterall

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Nov 2017 09:17

SCIAG - McLennan vs Liverpool U18s

Oh ye that one... What was the point of putting that when it was probably only you there?

Burnley's crackers in the playoff semi would be right up there

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Nov 2017 13:22

WAZZOCK Nicky Forster's second goal against Ipswich in 2002.

... gets my vote.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 17 Nov 2017 14:13

One that always sticks in my memory is David Bentleys goal back in 06/07 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMWlNaLjU0

Remember the stunned silence and patter of applause from the east stand

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 17 Nov 2017 18:01

Lower West Graham Murty - penalty vs QPR. The memories linger still.

I was there - in the away end...I've never wanted to celebrate a goal more...but still just grateful I was there.
Nice to see so many goals mentioned that I've seen live, either in TV games or at the game (though the Cureton goal v Brighton IIRC was also a TV game but was out and didn't get to see that game).

Sig scored a great goal against Scunthorpe in what proved to be his last season, 2010/11. Didn't really celebrate that, just stood there nodding and thinking PL class.

Another vote for De La Cruz's solo goal v Sheff Utd also.

For opposition goals hard to top Wallace's free-kick for me. Remember at the time just before he took it knowing he was going to aim for that side (I think I felt Fed left it slightly open) but seeing it back I don't think I really appreciated how good it was.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 17 Nov 2017 19:01

Jagermesiter1871
Lower West Graham Murty - penalty vs QPR. The memories linger still.

This. Im welling up just thinking about it.

I was there when Murty scored.....We don't sing about many other goals...