Reading FC Womens World

1862 posts
Cape Town Royal

Re: Reading FC Womens World

by Cape Town Royal » 03 Apr 2018 14:03

BR0B0T
RoyalBlue
BR0B0T Do they change the size of the goal...if not then they defo should. The quality of goalkeeping is the real let down in women's football (which is fairly low quality anyway)

Speaks an ignorant *rse who probably hasn't watched any WSL games.

I suspect some of those GKs have also got pretty strong punches on them.

The quality of women's football is not very good...this is fact. The games may be as entertaining as the men's but slightly different issue
Looking forward to Rose Namajunas v Joanna Jedrzejczyk fight at UFC 223 so it's not sexism

Goal size is just down to reality....

- The average female goalkeeper is 5 inches shorter than male counterpart
- Her standing jump is on average 4 inches shorter
- The average arm span is also 4 inches shorter...etc
- There's a reason Steve Death played in Div 3/4

also wtf are you on about with 'hard' punches

Hey golden boy, I was lucky enough to watch Steve Death play for us when I first started watching Reading and trust me he was one hell of a goalkeeper... Great agility, fantastic reflexes and despite being in the era when forwards could literally flatten goalkeepers without it being called as a foul, he seemed to have an incredible ability to just rise up and take catch crosses with seeming ease.

Defenders must have loved having him playing behind them.

He was top class and had we risen up the leagues at that time he would have still been in goal!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2018 18:42

I thought the quality of keeping on display from women was poor and considerably below the level in outfield when I saw games about 10 years ago. I wouldn't say that was the case now.

As with all things, you draw from the same size pool and invest the same resources to the women's game as the men's and over 10 - 20 years you'd see much the same quality across either.

cp

by cp » 07 Apr 2018 11:10

Well looking at the goalkeeping by Wales last night against England it was pretty good. The level of passing and skills generally was outstanding so there's a lot going right in Women's football. Shame no final cutting edge.

It's a pleasant change also to have Reading mentioned on TV during an International.

I have some nieces who are good footballers playing in under 16 town teams, it gives them a lot of enjoyment and with the England team on a high, some role models.

Pleased Reading is supporting the women.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Apr 2018 13:20

You don't seem to get the same level of analysis between the men's and women's game in other sports but then again, you didn't tend to get other sports' governing bodies actively seeking to supress the developmnt of lhe women's game for 50 years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2018 13:22

Enjoyed the game last night. The level has improved immensely in the last 10 years

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Apr 2018 18:15

Had to laugh at a lady Welsh fan though that complained on twitter that England took all of their corners outside of the quadrant. oh dear, :shock:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Apr 2018 20:29

windermereROYAL Had to laugh at a lady Welsh fan though that complained on twitter that England took all of their corners outside of the quadrant. oh dear, :shock:

Tbf still hear that plenty in men’s games I watch

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Apr 2018 14:38

Just finished, Reading Women 3 Everton Ladies 0. Reading now up to third in table. Albeit, they have played one or two games more than anyone else, but has been a very good season for somewhere in the club, at least.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Apr 2018 17:53

Watching the highlights, and looking forward to RoyalBlue attempting to defend the quality of goalkeepers in the WSL.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Apr 2018 00:27

Platypuss Watching the highlights, and looking forward to RoyalBlue attempting to defend the quality of goalkeepers in the WSL.

You’re an odd one Platypus.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Apr 2018 00:33

Fran Kirby PFA player of the year. Technically one of our own despite being stolen by money bags Chelsea.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2018 08:22

leon
Platypuss Watching the highlights, and looking forward to RoyalBlue attempting to defend the quality of goalkeepers in the WSL.

You’re an odd one Platypus.

Agree. Be nice to just hear a bit of a praise for a Reading side doing very well without the unnecessary sniping

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 24 Apr 2018 14:32

Jackson Corner Fran Kirby PFA player of the year. Technically one of our own despite being stolen by money bags Chelsea.

Also named the inaugral Football Writers Association player of the year

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 May 2018 14:50

Season over. The Women's team finished in fourth place, behind Chelsea, Man. City and Arsenal. Reading's highest ever final position. Well done, ladies.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2018 15:41

yep impressive stuff. Very good season

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 May 2018 20:28

lewesroyal
Jackson Corner Fran Kirby PFA player of the year. Technically one of our own despite being stolen by money bags Chelsea.

Also named the inaugral Football Writers Association player of the year

Reading's Fara Williams named in the Women's Football Show team of the season and Kelly Chambers (Reading FC Women manager for those who don't know) named as manager of that team.

Two Reading FC Women in the Goal of the Season selection for the same show and Fara William's goal away to Liverpool chosen as the 'Goal of the Season'.

Meanwhile the BBC are making a big thing of Chelsea dropping the name Chelsea Ladies and becoming Chelsea FC Women from next season. As far back as I can recall, our team has always been called Reading FC Women. Once again where 'little Reading FC' lead, the big boys and girls eventually follow.

Great season all round for Reading FC Women. But for a bit of a mid season dip in form, would have been playing in Europe next season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 May 2018 20:37

I agree (to coin a phrase)

Bring them home from Wycombe.

Deserving of the Madejski pitch and local screechers

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 24 May 2018 10:12

AthleticoSpizz I agree (to coin a phrase)

Bring them home from Wycombe.

Deserving of the Madejski pitch and local screechers

Won't happen until London Irish go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2018 18:06

See the Women started the season well with a 4-1 in the northern (wtf?) section of the league cup. In the same group as Man U, Liverpool and Durham

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Aug 2018 07:50

Hope they stuff United. Absolute bullshit decision to parachute them into WSL2. Once again proving that when the FA are involved, money talks.

1862 posts