BFTG - Wolves

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Wolves

by Lower West » 18 Nov 2017 22:36

Victor Meldrew Stam's comments about Beerens after the game were surprising-what does he see that we don't?

The common sense not to undermine his players in public.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Nov 2017 23:23

Jagermesiter1871
tidus_mi2 It's always fun to come on here after a defeat and see all the bed wetters telling us we're doomed.

It was a solid performance, we created a handful of very good opportunities but let ourselves down on their two goals. The first the whole defence can be accused of ball watching and the second, it should not have been that easy for the Wolves players to waltz through.

If we keep playing like we have the last few games we will shoot up the table, the early damage might already be done for a play-off place but I still hold outside hope.

....literally no one has said that. DId you even read the thread?

I said come on here in reference to the forum, not just this thread.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Nov 2017 00:01

tidus_mi2 It's always fun to come on here after a defeat and see all the bed wetters telling us we're doomed.

It was a solid performance, we created a handful of very good opportunities but let ourselves down on their two goals. The first the whole defence can be accused of ball watching and the second, it should not have been that easy for the Wolves players to waltz through.

If we keep playing like we have the last few games we will shoot up the table, the early damage might already be done for a play-off place but I still hold outside hope.

You accuse people of being bed wetters- which is nice.

And then you go on to say how defensive mistakes yet again cost us a game.

I think you need to take some time out.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Nov 2017 00:28

If you went to the Derby game you can't be anything other than disappointed with that.

I did go to Derby and saw exciting fast paced one touch football with players running into space for each other (That was Reading by the way)

A team that was meant to beat us easily was absolutely destroyed. Could have had four or five.

Bacuna ran that game from just in front of defence. Aluko had maybe his best game. Omar Richards had a debut people dream about.

So why move Bacuna? He looked lost bemused and frankly pissed off at right back
Why play Gunter at left back where he also looked uncomfortable
And why drop Omar and Aluko?

It beggars belief.

Ok we played alright against Wolves and could have scored a few times but it wasn't convincing and it all seemed so unnecessary to me

If we had kept that team from the Derby game and gone for it I honestly believe they were there for the taking. True they look sharp and incisive going forward but the defence looked vulnerable

Does Stam over think things? Trying to out smart his opposite number? He's not managing to do that much
Or is he not up to the job?

Either way keeping a winning side has never seemed a more sensible mantra

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Nov 2017 00:35

leon

You accuse people of being bed wetters- which is nice.

And then you go on to say how defensive mistakes yet again cost us a game.

I think you need to take some time out.

Why exactly? It's called constructive criticism.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Nov 2017 01:01

Proper shithousing from wolves, but we were too nice to them and respected them too much at first. Bacuna and Ilori had shockers in the first half, Swift was poor and he really needs to work on his decision making(arguably should’ve scored in 50 seconds). Kermorgant was very rusty and struggled against a bigger and fitter defence. Thought Gunter had a really good game, been our most improved player by far this season. Agree on McShane and Beerens though, McShane is too slow to be playing against someone like wolves and Beerens was ineffective. I do see why Stam keeps the faith with Beerens though, he’s clearly capable of moments of brilliance, scored a lot of important goals last season including a brilliant brace against Sheffield Wednesday. Aluko has really settled in and continues to be our best attacking threat, him and Barrow are frighteningly good on the counter. Big praise for Stam for going bold with the call for Edwards rather than just putting Gunter at CB and bringing on Blackett- nearly paid off

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Nov 2017 07:07

I think stam is planning very much for the fact we have a glut of games. I reckon Richards will be back in against Bolton, as will Edwards. I suspect Aluko wasn’t fully fit, and neither are Yann or Bod

Like I said, no real issues with the team selection bar Beerens. Equally the sub of Edwards for Ilori was a good one

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 19 Nov 2017 08:08

Hound I think stam is planning very much for the fact we have a glut of games. I reckon Richards will be back in against Bolton, as will Edwards. I suspect Aluko wasn’t fully fit, and neither are Yann or Bod

Like I said, no real issues with the team selection bar Beerens. Equally the sub of Edwards for Ilori was a good one

Expect there was an element as well of Stam not wanting to expose a youngster like Richards against Wolves.

Didn't like the team selection. If you play three centre backs at home then you don't need Joey anchoring the midfield as well. Effectively 4 centre backs. Should have played Bacuna in the midfield. Suspect Aluko wasn't fully fit.

Is Joey suspended for Bolton?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Nov 2017 08:20

PremAddict Only reason we didn't come away with a point was that Ruddy put-in a MoM performance today and luck went against us. First goal from them was either a great goal or crap defending with me leaning towards the latter.

Overall good performance, plenty of shots on goal. Agree with others here on Beerens tho. Bacuna improved in the second.

Was about to say the same thing. They'll get promoted because they're organised, have a good keeper, and seemed to have that bit of luck.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Nov 2017 09:18

Hound I think stam is planning very much for the fact we have a glut of games. I reckon Richards will be back in against Bolton, as will Edwards. I suspect Aluko wasn’t fully fit, and neither are Yann or Bod

You haven't mentioned Bacuna
As I said he above he was outstanding v Derby and ran the game
Why change?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Nov 2017 09:21

bcubed

You haven't mentioned Bacuna
As I said he above he was outstanding v Derby and ran the game
Why change?

Because - if he wanted to protect Richards, and didn't trust Blackett, he didn't have an alternative wing-back/full back. And Bacuna has had at least one very good game at right back - so much so that people were saying he should be ahead of Gunter.

I'd have preferred Edwards on from the start instead of Joey, and Beerens is a bit of a mystery to me. But otherwise I could see the reasoning.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Nov 2017 09:40

Yeah, Bacuna was also outstanding at RB against Leeds and Forest

Bacuna had a rare bad day - but his exquisite pass created our best chance (Barrow saved by Ruddy) and he did ok second half generally

Just saying we don’t always know everything behind the scenes. Players may have a minor knock or heavy cold etc. I did find dropping Edwards a strange one but he has just come back off 2 games for Wales. Gunter is a freak who seems to be able to just play and play, but can’t judge everyone by his fitness

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Nov 2017 09:56

Hound Yeah, Bacuna was also outstanding at RB against Leeds and Forest

Bacuna had a rare bad day - but his exquisite pass created our best chance (Barrow saved by Ruddy) and he did ok second half generally

Just saying we don’t always know everything behind the scenes. Players may have a minor knock or heavy cold etc. I did find dropping Edwards a strange one but he has just come back off 2 games for Wales. Gunter is a freak who seems to be able to just play and play, but can’t judge everyone by his fitness

We don't know everything of course but he was so good at Derby and was the glue behind the whole team performance. You mentioned his one exquisite pass well he made many many of these at Derby. Did you go to the game? Maybe you had to see it to appreciate how well we played and his role.

I was so annoyed about this change (over all the others) I watched him from the off. I honestly believe he was as mystified as I was as to why he was playing right back. He looked really pissed off and distant.

A crazy decision IMO

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 19 Nov 2017 10:04

I agree with most of what has been said. Why change a winning system;even if a few players are injured, at least the rest know what they are doing. Plus Stam's devotion to his two Dutch players is absolutely killing us.Hugely disappointing.Wolves really weren't that great.

Mannone 6: Couple of good saves, but perhaps could have done better on the 2nd.

Bacuna 5: Awful 1st half, better 2nd. Has to play central midfield instead of Joey.
Gunts 6: Normal service resumed; but even as a senior player, he never shows leadership.
Moore 7: But we did ship two goals on his watch.Enjoyed that foot race in the 2nd half-which he won.
Mc Shane 6: One great tackle in the box 2nd half-but uncomfortable on the ball.
Ilori 4: Why take him off , given what was going on around him.

Joey 5: One of his better games; but he is painfully slow and was breathing out of his a**e hole for their 2nd.
Swift 4: Started really well; but Wolves knew he was the danger man & crowded him out. At fault for the 2nd.
Beerens 0: Why ? Poppa surely cannot be worse ?
Kermit 5: Will he get it back at his age ? Great defensive headers, but nothing in their half.
Barrow 6: Started well, then drifted in & out of the game.Sometimes plays like the best player at school boy level .

Edwards : Poor start, then got better. Horribly immobile, but should of started.
Dada : Painfully slow.

Ref: Above average- but the usual little control freak.
Linos: Did they get anything right ?

Wolves fans: Noisy, but limited chants@ least they are turning up in numbers now.

jonn60

by jonn60 » 19 Nov 2017 10:23

Good post, but then your bottom line saying Wolves fans have limited chants and now turning up in numbers?
Wolves are up there with Leeds as one of the best teams for away support in the Championship and have been for a long time.
Meanwhile Reading are up there with Fulham as being one of the worst supported and quietest fans home and away!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Nov 2017 10:58

TiagoIlori Proper shithousing from wolves, but we were too nice to them and respected them too much at first. Bacuna and Ilori had shockers in the first half, Swift was poor and he really needs to work on his decision making(arguably should’ve scored in 50 seconds). Kermorgant was very rusty and struggled against a bigger and fitter defence. Thought Gunter had a really good game, been our most improved player by far this season. Agree on McShane and Beerens though, McShane is too slow to be playing against someone like wolves and Beerens was ineffective. I do see why Stam keeps the faith with Beerens though, he’s clearly capable of moments of brilliance, scored a lot of important goals last season including a brilliant brace against Sheffield Wednesday.

Thank god for that! Someone else who isn't completely blinkered by the Beerens hate!

Prize merchant banker behind me is constantly on his case. Incredibly yelled at him for being lazy immediately after his perseverance had seen him win the ball and battle his way through three challenges. :roll:

Mind you the same pratt accused Gunter of 'bottling it' when he went to go for a challenge on a loose ball but then rightly pulled out when he realised that there was no way he could get to the ball first and would only end up getting a minimum of a yellow card for his efforts/'bravery'. I think this 'moan a minute' twat may have been 'Edward' who rang BBCRB after the game.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 19 Nov 2017 12:07

I thought it was a good game probably did enough to get a point . We look much better than a month ago but didnt quite get the love for Wolves on Radio Berks certs to go up do me a favour.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Nov 2017 13:16

Just watched replays.

WTF were our defence doing??

First goal, Ilori on the goal scorer, meant to be marking him? Sees him in front. Sees him screaming and gesturing for the ball to be put in front of him. DOes NOTHING about it. Ball then is predictably played to him. He just stands there as he lets him run onto the ball, round Mannone and score. Has his head injury given him momentary lapses in concentration or is this just lack of being arsed?

I don't often criticise players because because they're pros and I'm not, but I can 100% guarantee if I was Ilori I'd have been sticking to that man like my life depended on it.

And goal number 2 - who the **** was that player who just kinda stood there near the goalscorer and allowed him to take a shot. The only thing I can think is this is near the end of the game and he was completely shattered.

Do our defenders actually want to stop goals going in????? Or are they just holding back and hoping Mannone will save. Were they spoiled by Al Habsi?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Nov 2017 14:03

RoyalBlue
TiagoIlori Proper shithousing from wolves, but we were too nice to them and respected them too much at first. Bacuna and Ilori had shockers in the first half, Swift was poor and he really needs to work on his decision making(arguably should’ve scored in 50 seconds). Kermorgant was very rusty and struggled against a bigger and fitter defence. Thought Gunter had a really good game, been our most improved player by far this season. Agree on McShane and Beerens though, McShane is too slow to be playing against someone like wolves and Beerens was ineffective. I do see why Stam keeps the faith with Beerens though, he’s clearly capable of moments of brilliance, scored a lot of important goals last season including a brilliant brace against Sheffield Wednesday.

Thank god for that! Someone else who isn't completely blinkered by the Beerens hate!

Prize merchant banker behind me is constantly on his case. Incredibly yelled at him for being lazy immediately after his perseverance had seen him win the ball and battle his way through three challenges. :roll:

Mind you the same pratt accused Gunter of 'bottling it' when he went to go for a challenge on a loose ball but then rightly pulled out when he realised that there was no way he could get to the ball first and would only end up getting a minimum of a yellow card for his efforts/'bravery'. I think this 'moan a minute' twat may have been 'Edward' who rang BBCRB after the game.

I think people are too quick to get on the players backs and wonder why some seem to lose interest. Beerens is one of the selection of players that have been poor generally this season but I really hope he gets back to his best, fans seem to have forgotten the fact that he simply can win games on his own and it’s getting tiresome now

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Nov 2017 14:17

I think Beerens is a useful player. I don’t ‘hate’ him or think he is useless but I just don’t think he is as good a player as Barrow, Aluko or Popa in the system we are trying to play

He strikes me as a 4-4-2 wide midfielder/winger who would like two big men to aim for. He is probably the best crosser at the club for that. And at times this season that might be exactly how we’ll play him