BFTG - Wolves

genome
Hob Nob Legend

BFTG - Wolves

by genome » 18 Nov 2017 16:39

I'm not too disheartened with that. A good performance against a side who will win the league, and I think we probably deserved a draw. We're just missing that ingredient up-top, and when you can't take your chances at one end, mistakes at the back will always be punished against a side of Wolves' quality.

Roll on January when we can bring in a striker, but if we play like that against Bolton we'll smash them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Wolves

by Hound » 18 Nov 2017 16:49

Agree, was also an enjoyable game despite the score, which let’s face it is pretty impt

Wolves looked a class above any team I’ve seen at the Madejski in the last couple of years. They should win the league by a mile

Bar a couple of players, we did well. Things just didn’t quite drop for us. I’m not disheartened, almost the opposite

Dadi and Yann being back and fit will help immensely. Thought Dadi did well in his 10 mins

Definitely deserved a point, just one of this days

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Nov 2017 16:57

genome I'm not too disheartened with that. A good performance against a side who will win the league, and I think we probably deserved a draw. We're just missing that ingredient up-top, and when you can't take your chances at one end, mistakes at the back will always be punished against a side of Wolves' quality.

Roll on January when we can bring in a striker, but if we play like that against Bolton we'll smash them.

Agree, only concern is that Bolton will sit back more and we do nothing.

JR

by JR » 18 Nov 2017 17:03

Agree with the opening posters - anyone who comes on here and moans at the overall team performance is a football retard.

One of the most enthralling games at the Mad Stad in recent years and we just didn't get the rub of the green - put them under real pressure and they will see that as an excellent 3 points.

Wolves have quality and depth and will go up automatically.

For us Bacuna seemed to be off colour / frustrated and Beerens continues to be a waste of space, but I'm genuinely optimistic for at least 7 points in the next 10 days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2017 17:04

Yeah not sure what was up with Bacuna. Improved second half but had a shocker first

Beerens would be the one thing I’d criticise Stam for especially. He offered nothing and really should not be in the first 11. Barrow and Aluko + Bod or Yann offer far more

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 18 Nov 2017 17:11

Beerens didn't have a great game but if there's one player worth singling out for criticism in that game it's Swift

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Nov 2017 17:14

Just home, pretty depressed about the score but not the performance, on another day we could have got something, its all about luck and we had the sum total of none today.
Swift and Bacuna aside we played very well against a team that will walk this division, best side ive seen in a long time down here. but the way their bench celebrated the 2nd goal told you all you needed to know how relieved they were,

However I wait for the Stam out merchants to come on here, it shouldn't be long.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2017 17:16

I thought Swift did ok - didn’t get enough of the ball but used it well when he did

Was it me or were the Wolves fans a bit rubbish? They seemed very quiet compared to Villas for example and should have a lot more to sing about

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2017 17:35

Wolves are a really decent side and any team that finishes above them will be in the PL next season.

Reading, though, generally matched them, should have got a point and would have done if it wasn’t for a couple of superb saves and absolutely no luck in the opening 10 minutes.

That said I felt the unnecessary piddling about with team selection really didn’t help matters. Two left backs sat in the bench (ok, 1 and a half as one of them was Blackett) and yet our managerial mastermind decides to put a right back on the left and kill all the best bits in Bacuna’s game by getting him to do a job on the right. The. He takes off Ilori (apparently still not quite right after his injury) and piddles about a bit more by asking Berg to drop into the centre of defence :o rather than just deciding there and then to revert to a proper left back or perhaps

I can understand changes through suspension and injury but this constant fart arsing about really needs to be stopped. Let the podding opposition podding well worry about Reading and let Reading build an understanding amongst the key players rather than have them regularly being dropped or moved into less effective positions just because the opposition have a tall left winger or a quick central defender or play with 5 in the middle etc.

Really looking forward to the next concoction for the Bolton game :roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Nov 2017 17:37

Enjoyed the game, and we really had them rattled for mutch of the game, especially second half.

As great as he was v Forest, Bacuna had a bad one, and got increasingly frustrated which didn't help.

If we'd given Barrow the ball even half as much as we did Beerens we'd have won.

Swift combined the sublime with getting the basics wrong too often, but he'll learn.

Joey and Beerens the weak links again for me.

Now let's smash Notlob.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 18 Nov 2017 17:38

windermereROYAL Just home, pretty depressed about the score but not the performance, on another day we could have got something, its all about luck and we had the sum total of none today.
Swift and Bacuna aside we played very well against a team that will walk this division, best side ive seen in a long time down here. but the way their bench celebrated the 2nd goal told you all you needed to know how relieved they were,

However I wait for the Stam out merchants to come on here, it shouldn't be long.

Heard that on the walk back to the car, some blokes saying Stam was shit and should be sacked based on that match.

I thought that was a pretty good performance - if Swifts shot or the comical Barrow rebound had gone in then who knows what would have happened. Agree Bacuna seemed off colour, but don't get the Swift comment. Beerens was clearly not happy with being subbed.

Not sure who had the worse day - east stand lino or the ref.

biff

by biff » 18 Nov 2017 18:00

Got to hope Beerens little tantrum was due to being upset at his ineffectiveness, rather than being angry at the substitution. League 1 winger with League 2 pace.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 18 Nov 2017 18:00

Whilst poor finishing contributed a small amount to that loss, I would say some good goalkeeping and some rotten luck was more telling.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Nov 2017 18:02

Reading played some decent football, and had the bulk of the possession, but had trouble turning their territorial advantage into clear chances. It's not exactly a first for this team.

In fairness there were a lot of good things about today's game, but the same failings, being rather lightweight, playing the ball back as the first option, lacking any real cutting edge up front, came back to haunt us again.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Nov 2017 18:05

biff Got to hope Beerens little tantrum was due to being upset at his ineffectiveness, rather than being angry at the substitution. League 1 winger with League 2 pace.

Disappointed with Stam sticking with his Dutch buddies, it would seem they are undroppable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2017 18:08

No real issue with Joey - but Beerens should be sub at best

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 18 Nov 2017 18:12

Only reason we didn't come away with a point was that Ruddy put-in a MoM performance today and luck went against us. First goal from them was either a great goal or crap defending with me leaning towards the latter.

Overall good performance, plenty of shots on goal. Agree with others here on Beerens tho. Bacuna improved in the second.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 18 Nov 2017 18:18

Well, that was interesting. Really should have had a point against a very good Wolves.

Swift's effort in the first few minutes, Aluko's rebound could have gone anywhere, and what looked like a blatant penalty for a push on Yann when he got a yard goalside on a good, pacey cross. Both linos were especially inept. And all those shots in a ten minute spell in the second half - and even three queuing up for a shot from 7 yards and not one of them taking the responsibility,

Beerens really shouldn't be in the squad let alone a starting fixture. His 'runs' were comical, closing space and channels all the time as opposed to pulling a defender with him. Tackling, heading non existent or lightweight at best. Use of the ball..... he really is shite,

Think Stam pulled Ilori off to save him any further embarrassment. Not a good 30 minutes.

Bacuna out of position and lost in the first half. Much improved in second.

Swift MotM. Smart, intelligent, hardworking.

Decent effort all round and not far off where we need to be. Think Stam just needs to stop fiddling around too much and stop over thinking it.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Nov 2017 18:19

Did anyone else see Beerens throw his jacket at the bench after he was subbed?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Nov 2017 18:22

Royal_jimmy Did anyone else see Beerens throw his jacket at the bench after he was subbed?

Bet he missed.