305 posts
mambo3

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bolton Wanderers (a) sponsored by 12 Parkinsons

by mambo3 » 23 Nov 2017 11:07

leon
Vision
leon
All fair points Vision.

The last 4 games we’ve also conceded 6. Even last season we were shipping far too many. That demonstrates a problem Stam seems unable to fix.

This seems to be more than just unlegislatable errors to me. I think we need to improve our coaching.

The two things go hand in hand though. We've been playing sides that for the most part (Bolton aside) have come to play. It suits us better. And yes the big question mark over the team (and Stam) is that we still struggle to break down the sides that drop off with 10 men behind the ball.

I think we can both agree that a lot of the complaints have been about "entertainment". I don't think anyone can complain about lack of entertainment if we take the last 4 games as a whole with 17 goals scored in total. Yet the same people will now complain about how many we're conceding in that period. I may be setting us up for a fall here but actually I don't see us getting a mauling like we did in a few games last season. I do think we've actually improved defensively this season when you consider Al Habsi was our POTS last season and spared our defensive blushes in several games.

Of course there are areas of concern with Stam and it's right to point them out but I think he's still a novice manager and given what state we were in when he joined some of the vitriolic abuse on this thread ( HI Strap! ;-) ) is just ridiculous really.

There’s also Stams team selections that don’t seem to help - constantly chopping and changing that I don’t think has helped at all.

But on balance I think what we’re saying here is hopefully the run up to Xmas will see us continue to play more effective football whilst improving our resilience.

It all went wrong in the last January Window. Bought in Loan Players and exodus of players from the club. Team has not been the same
since.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Nov 2017 11:29

thats not true. Our form after Christmas last year was exceptional despite some poor signings.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Nov 2017 13:16

mambo3
leon
Vision
The two things go hand in hand though. We've been playing sides that for the most part (Bolton aside) have come to play. It suits us better. And yes the big question mark over the team (and Stam) is that we still struggle to break down the sides that drop off with 10 men behind the ball.

I think we can both agree that a lot of the complaints have been about "entertainment". I don't think anyone can complain about lack of entertainment if we take the last 4 games as a whole with 17 goals scored in total. Yet the same people will now complain about how many we're conceding in that period. I may be setting us up for a fall here but actually I don't see us getting a mauling like we did in a few games last season. I do think we've actually improved defensively this season when you consider Al Habsi was our POTS last season and spared our defensive blushes in several games.

Of course there are areas of concern with Stam and it's right to point them out but I think he's still a novice manager and given what state we were in when he joined some of the vitriolic abuse on this thread ( HI Strap! ;-) ) is just ridiculous really.

There’s also Stams team selections that don’t seem to help - constantly chopping and changing that I don’t think has helped at all.

But on balance I think what we’re saying here is hopefully the run up to Xmas will see us continue to play more effective football whilst improving our resilience.

It all went wrong in the last January Window. Bought in Loan Players and exodus of players from the club. Team has not been the same
since.

So found a league table as at 25/1/17. We had 49pts from 27 games - 1.81pts/game

Over the last 19 games we picked up 36pts - 1.89pts/game

So form actually improved after the Jan window.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 23 Nov 2017 19:16

Interesting one, had a bad feeling about this game, especially after seeing the starting line-up, and with less than 20 mins to go started to stop following/focusing on the game and do something else. We score twice and I then decide to listen to Tim and Mick on Freeview in injury-time when we almost threw it away!

May have to not focus on the games a bit more often.... It seems to have worked in the last few weeks :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2017 16:06

Super stuff from Vision, as always.

305 posts