MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by a Saturday home win

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by a Saturday home win

by Sutekh » 23 Nov 2017 09:23

When : Saturday 18th November, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Another Saturday home game and today it's the might of the Owls that will be turning up to provide the opposition.

Sheffield Wednesday are a bit like Reading this season with better things being expected yet not really delivering. As ever though this will be a very difficult game, especially with Reading’s quite appalling Saturday home form, and Sheffield Wednesday certainly have the firepower to wreck any teams plans so it is vital for Reading to cut supply chains to players like Joao, Hooper and Rhodes

Reading will have Joey back from suspension but the massive injury list remains though there is a good chance Yann will be fit enough to play. Sheffield Wednesday are likely to be without George Boyd, Sam Hutchinson and Fernando Forestieri

Referee

Providing entertainment with a whistle and a smile will be Geoff Eltringham on his very first visit to the Mad Stad despite 9 previous games with Reading

Previously

22 Apr 2017 > Nottingham Forest 3-2 Reading
17 Mar 2017 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading
04 Feb 2017 > Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading
13 Dec 2016 > Leeds United 2-0 Reading
02 Apr 2016 > Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Reading
12 Dec 2015 > Preston North End 1-0 Reading
07 Apr 2015 > Blackpool 1-1 Reading
23 Nov 2013 > Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading
14 Feb 2012 > Derby County 0-1 Reading

Historically

Not really very many league games played with Wednesday since 1920. Only 20 games in total, pointing at just 10 seasons together in the same division, and no league games at all played before 1976. In fact 16 of those 20 games have been played since 2002 so Sheffield Wednesday have been reasonably regular opponents since then.

Reading's home record against them is usually a decisive one with only 1 game ending all square. Reading have won 6 and lost 3 of the 10 league games played in Reading scoring 20 and conceding 8 in the process. Uninteresting facts to note from those games, so far, is that if Reading score they don't lose. Trouble is getting to score a goal in the first place though….

Opposition Preview

Think there’s a bit of disgruntlement being generated with team performances at the moment looking that the threads on their board

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... -saturday/

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by a Saturday home win

by genome » 23 Nov 2017 09:25

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Nov 2017 10:02

they are pretty similar to us. Two underachieving teams, held back by some poor tactics and injuries. I'm just hoping we continue on the slow upturn we've shown recently

I really hope they come here and really go for a win. They surely need to get wins themselves if they want to get in the play offs, so I don't think they can sit back and play for a 1-0 win/0-0 draw like Barnsley probably will.

As usual with us, its all about getting the first goal. If we do so, we should win. If we don't, I expect another defeat.

Mannone
Gunter Moore Ilori Richards
Joey
Bacuna Edwards/Kelly
Barrow Yann/Bod Aluko

Anssi, Edwards/Kelly, Beerens, Blackett, McShane, Yann/Bod, Loader/Clement

Marino13

by Marino13 » 23 Nov 2017 10:08

after a poor 2-2 draw at Bolton, this really is a must win.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Nov 2017 10:32

Going way back I can remember 2 specific games at Elm Park and we were seldom in the same division as them.
One was an FA Cup game when a high-flying top division Wednesday played us and won 3-2(?) with Jim McCalliog scoring the winner late on.
The other was a Friday night league game when Wednesday were doing really well IIRC under Jack Charlton (?)-there was loads of snow about and we may well have lost 1-0 or 2-0 but there followed a treacherous journey back to the South with my young daughter delighted because of the snow but with me skidding all over the place driving my mini.

I know it is meant to be cold on Saturday but hopefully there will be no snow.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Nov 2017 10:38

no forecasts of snow down our way, only oop north. currently shows as about 6c and sunny.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Nov 2017 14:00

BR2 Going way back I can remember 2 specific games at Elm Park and we were seldom in the same division as them.
One was an FA Cup game when a high-flying top division Wednesday played us and won 3-2(?) with Jim McCalliog scoring the winner late on.
The other was a Friday night league game when Wednesday were doing really well IIRC under Jack Charlton (?)-there was loads of snow about and we may well have lost 1-0 or 2-0 but there followed a treacherous journey back to the South with my young daughter delighted because of the snow but with me skidding all over the place driving my mini.

I know it is meant to be cold on Saturday but hopefully there will be no snow.

22 Jan 1966 - Reading 2-3 Sheffield Wednesday - FA Cup

The Friday nighter of which you speak was a 1-0 defeat at Elm Park on 21 Dec 1976, it was the very first league game between the two teams.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Nov 2017 17:31

Forestieri and Boyd injured. but can still call on Rhodes, Fletcher and Hooper. expect them to throw on that big monster Nuhio up front too if we are winning with 10 minutes to go.
Oh for those attacking options.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Nov 2017 18:01

I've got a bad feeling about this

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 23 Nov 2017 18:13

Hound they are pretty similar to us. Two underachieving teams, held back by some poor tactics and injuries. I'm just hoping we continue on the slow upturn we've shown recently

I really hope they come here and really go for a win. They surely need to get wins themselves if they want to get in the play offs, so I don't think they can sit back and play for a 1-0 win/0-0 draw like Barnsley probably will.

As usual with us, its all about getting the first goal. If we do so, we should win. If we don't, I expect another defeat.

Mannone
Gunter Moore Ilori Richards
Joey
Bacuna Edwards/Kelly
Barrow Yann/Bod Aluko

Anssi, Edwards/Kelly, Beerens, Blackett, McShane, Yann/Bod, Loader/Clement

Interesting you prefer Ilori to McShane. I'm afraid Ilori has turned into a huge waste of money, and his disinterest in the Wolves game was, frankly, criminal. His recent head injury is no excuse. If he declares himself fit to play, he should put in a proper shift.

Sadly we have too many "players" who should be nowhere near a professional football club in Ilori, Clement, Blackett and Beerens.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 23 Nov 2017 21:42

strap Sadly we have too many "players" who should be nowhere near a professional football club in Ilori, Clement, Blackett and Beerens.

I agree with Ilori, Blackett and Beerens these guys are not up to it for some reason but i do like the look of Clement and if given a run in the team i think he could do a job just off the striker. He's got plenty of skill, in fact i think his problem is that he is to smart for some of his team mates and they are often on a different wave length.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Nov 2017 23:59

Baffled by statements like that.

Ilori has had a handful of good performances for us, including an absolute blinder in a play-off semi final. But, now he should be "nowhere near a professional football club"?

Give me strength

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 24 Nov 2017 02:19

thanks

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2017 09:06

Is there anyone out there who actually does not dislike any of Reading's squad?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2017 09:24

Sutekh Is there anyone out there who actually does not dislike any of Reading's squad?

I wouldn't say I dislike anyone. Thats different to thinking Beerens shouldn't be in the starting 11 though

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Nov 2017 12:01

Some of the new signings haven't grown on me yet, but I don't froth at the mouth every time they're picked.

Ilori looks a perfectly good player. Even Beerens, who seems to be the go-to scapegoat at the moment, is obviously a Championship quality player based on how well he played last season. What was it, seven goals?

Clement is the closest thing to this year's Wieser but he's actually got games and while he doesn't look like a matchwinner he's done perfectly well. Seems strange to bash him while praising Richards, would put them in the same category.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Nov 2017 12:13

SCIAG Some of the new signings haven't grown on me yet, but I don't froth at the mouth every time they're picked.

Ilori looks a perfectly good player. Even Beerens, who seems to be the go-to scapegoat at the moment, is obviously a Championship quality player based on how well he played last season. What was it, seven goals?

Clement is the closest thing to this year's Wieser but he's actually got games and while he doesn't look like a matchwinner he's done perfectly well. Seems strange to bash him while praising Richards, would put them in the same category.

It’s because he’s a academy graduate so everyone automatically loves him for that- it’s damn annoying. Had Samuel been a guy that came in at the age of 20 from Ajax on a free transfer no one would’ve cared about him leaving

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 24 Nov 2017 12:38

Just looking forward to seeing that bald geezer turn up in their ranks, take his shirt off and knock out a few press ups, like he did a few seasons ago. Meant to be a bit nippers tomorrow, so good luck with that one, mate.

double d

by double d » 24 Nov 2017 18:17

I think we will draw or win tomorrow. Wednesday seem a very top heavy team so if we can neutralise the strikers all will be well

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Nov 2017 19:05

double d if we can neutralise the strikers all will be well

Easier said than done for a team without a clean sheet at home all season so far.