BFTG Wednesday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Wednesday.

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2017 20:21

AthleticoSpizz why do you think that is..panicked?

I think the suggestion was just lack of understanding between the players. Something I'd been thinking anyway. I'd say most of the time the players were nothing like panicked... they're too cautious and not instinctive enough. Like the way they're focusing so hard on doing what Stam is telling them to do it's stifling their instincts and natural game. And I'm not sure there's any real understanding of the purpose of what they're being instructed to do.

Everything's just very disjointed. One thing I noticed was the team slowly passing down a blind alley until someone was isolated. I suppose it makes a change from Williams going head down and running down a blind alley, but it's equally ineffective.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2017 20:27

cannot argue with any of that

However, do some of the (less-loved) players play to the crowd?

Instead of to their own best...I see that our away games have better stats.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 25 Nov 2017 21:44

Snowflake Royal Can't be arsed with ratings.

Gunter's actually a good left back, unlike at right back. More positive, good crosses. Wandered off out of position a bit too much though. And still had moments of criminal negativety, including running back in 20 yards of space and signalling Mannone to hold the ball rather than chuck it to him and set up an instant break.

Everyone else was ok. Aluko wandered all over too much. Berg sat too deep. Edwards didn't show for it in the middle - just pushed up to join Yann. Mind you, no one showed in the middle.

Decent, but dull and uninspiring. Really need to keep a consistent XI out for a few games.

I think we miss Bacuna in midfield, but he's ten times the RB Gunter is and Gunter is twice the player at LB.

I actually thought we played quite well today, boring, but quite well. We didn't obviously oxf*rd things up like we have done in previous matches.

Gunter had his best game in a while, even if interspersed with some of his trademark negativity. Kermie looked out of shape and slow, no great surprise I guess. Joey looked good again. Don't think anyone really had a shocker.

Reckon Stam will be in for a Striker and Left Back in January judging by his post match comments (clinical finishing). Blackett is clearly out of favour - is that 4 or 5 matches now he has been down the pecking order to Gunter or Richards?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Nov 2017 22:06

Old Boy Blue I am reliably informed that after failing to pass forward to an unmarked Bacuna and passing backwards instead Paul McShane reacted to the crowds moans by turning towards the Lower West and shouting eff off. Not a great reaction by the skipper of a badly underperforming team.
Did anyone else witness this ?

No issue with that, its a human reaction by someone that is half way through a tough game and is acting on instinct. It's red mist, it's heat of the moment and it's exactly the same as the fans are doing - venting and having a hissy fit. It happens and it means nothing.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2017 22:14

having twice had meat-ups with Paul Mc...I can vouch that the last thing that he would want to do is upset any of you.

Nice bloke......and as aforementioned...just red-mist and his own personal frustration....I’m sure
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 25 Nov 2017 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Nov 2017 22:14

1. It was farking cold today

2. Atmosphere was terrible from both RFC and the Wednesdayites

3. I really would welcome the drummer back. Just for times when it's dead, I quite liked the old heartbeat type drum which at least was something. It also helps some fans and areas with chants like "blue army"

D. Gunter had a great game. One of his best I think. I sit in Y25 and some of his crosses were brilliant. As someone else said, an inform striker or attacking player of any type would smash them in.

5. Some criticised Yann but I can't fault his effort. I also feel that since he's come back we look much more threatening even if we still lack an end product.

6. Some fans need to stop groaning and shouting "forward" ALL the time. I hear it a lot and it's at times like at throw ins where I'd say 90% of the time it's better to throw back rather than forward into a gaggle of players achieving nothing.

7. Additionally it's unfair to shout forward at present. We are really pushing Up the pitch in recent games and the intensity has gone up. If you disagree I'd suggest you rewatch some of the earlier games this season which were just miserable to witness.

8. I don't buy the whole "we need a striker" argument. We have some solid players already. We should be able to rely on Yann, bacuna, Kelly, illori, etc etc to at least bag 1-2 between them each game.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Nov 2017 22:16

AthleticoSpizz having twice had meat-ups with Paul Mc...I can vouch that the last thing that he would want to do is upset any of you.

Nice bloke......and as aforementioned...just red-mist and his own personal frustration....I’m sure

100% agree. He's a really nice, down to earth guy.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 25 Nov 2017 22:24

bobby1413 1. It was farking cold today

3. I really would welcome the drummer back. Just for times when it's dead, I quite liked the old heartbeat type drum which at least was something. It also helps some fans and areas with chants like "blue army"

D. Gunter had a great game. One of his best I think. I sit in Y25 and some of his crosses were brilliant. As someone else said, an inform striker or attacking player of any type would smash them in.

5. Some criticised Yann but I can't fault his effort. I also feel that since he's come back we look much more threatening even if we still lack an end product.

6. Some fans need to stop groaning and shouting "forward" ALL the time. I hear it a lot and it's at times like at throw ins where I'd say 90% of the time it's better to throw back rather than forward into a gaggle of players achieving nothing.

7. Additionally it's unfair to shout forward at present. We are really pushing Up the pitch in recent games and the intensity has gone up. If you disagree I'd suggest you rewatch some of the earlier games this season which were just miserable to witness.

8. I don't buy the whole "we need a striker" argument. We have some solid players already. We should be able to rely on Yann, bacuna, Kelly, illori, etc etc to at least bag 1-2 between them each game.

But we do need a decent LB so that we can free up Bacuna to be in midfield.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Nov 2017 02:19

I thought Wednesday were bang average never looked like scoring no pace no threat. And yet nor did we we. No lack of effort but the passing was to slow or misplaced. I’m feed up with Stam blaming the opposition for parking the bus. He should know in advance how the opposition are going to play so set your team up accordingly.

Old Boy Blue

by Old Boy Blue » 26 Nov 2017 03:20

No disputing McShane is s nice bloke off the field but is that relevant ? His reaction as an experienced player and club captain was wrong and the worst by a Reading player since Matt Mills finger.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2017 08:18

RG7Fan
Snowflake Royal Can't be arsed with ratings.

Gunter's actually a good left back, unlike at right back. More positive, good crosses. Wandered off out of position a bit too much though. And still had moments of criminal negativety, including running back in 20 yards of space and signalling Mannone to hold the ball rather than chuck it to him and set up an instant break.

Everyone else was ok. Aluko wandered all over too much. Berg sat too deep. Edwards didn't show for it in the middle - just pushed up to join Yann. Mind you, no one showed in the middle.

Decent, but dull and uninspiring. Really need to keep a consistent XI out for a few games.

I think we miss Bacuna in midfield, but he's ten times the RB Gunter is and Gunter is twice the player at LB.

I actually thought we played quite well today, boring, but quite well. We didn't obviously oxf*rd things up like we have done in previous matches.

Gunter had his best game in a while, even if interspersed with some of his trademark negativity. Kermie looked out of shape and slow, no great surprise I guess. Joey looked good again. Don't think anyone really had a shocker.

Reckon Stam will be in for a Striker and Left Back in January judging by his post match comments (clinical finishing). Blackett is clearly out of favour - is that 4 or 5 matches now he has been down the pecking order to Gunter or Richards?

Yeah, we were far from bad. Did enough to have won if we'd taken a chance.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Nov 2017 08:18

Old Boy Blue No disputing McShane is s nice bloke off the field but is that relevant ? His reaction as an experienced player and club captain was wrong and the worst by a Reading player since Matt Mills finger.

You can not be serious

Half our fans deserve to be told to fcuk off

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2017 08:22

Old Boy Blue No disputing McShane is s nice bloke off the field but is that relevant ? His reaction as an experienced player and club captain was wrong and the worst by a Reading player since Matt Mills finger.

I have a great deal of sympathy. Lots of our fans are moaning cretins I'd wish would shut up or oxf*rd off.

And loads of them have almost no understanding of football.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Nov 2017 08:29

I doubt he was shouting at the fans anyway - more likely frustrated that someone wasn’t making a run for him or such like

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 26 Nov 2017 08:49

bobby1413
Old Boy Blue I am reliably informed that after failing to pass forward to an unmarked Bacuna and passing backwards instead Paul McShane reacted to the crowds moans by turning towards the Lower West and shouting eff off. Not a great reaction by the skipper of a badly underperforming team.
Did anyone else witness this ?

No issue with that, its a human reaction by someone that is half way through a tough game and is acting on instinct. It's red mist, it's heat of the moment and it's exactly the same as the fans are doing - venting and having a hissy fit. It happens and it means nothing.

Did you feel the same way about Matt Mills then?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Nov 2017 09:17

1 shot on target, at home, is simply not good enough.

Old Boy Blue

by Old Boy Blue » 26 Nov 2017 09:57

Snowflake, Bobby and Hound your argument seems to be that you like McShane so it was ok for him to shout abuse at a home crowd paying his wages. No matter whst stick a player gets and to be fair McShane doesnt get much he cant react. Also the fans are effing off as attendances tumnle and will continue to do so. Will be lucky to get 12000 Tuesday night. We dont need the skipper alienating even more.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Nov 2017 10:07

McShane has got previous for losing it on the pitch.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Nov 2017 10:10

RG7Fan
bobby1413 1. It was farking cold today

But we do need a decent LB so that we can free up Bacuna to be in midfield.

Agree Bacuna needs to be in midfield
As he was so effectively at Derby
But we have options at left back we (JS) just need to pick them

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Nov 2017 10:29

I think Carvahal said that we cancelled each other out, but in reality I thought both teams were as poor and ineffective as each other on the day. I expected much more of their strikeforce - Fletcher, Hooper and Rhodes and they only mustered 5 shots.

Bannan looked impressive though, some lovely passes.