BFTG Barnsley.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Barnsley.

by BR2 » 29 Nov 2017 10:25

The Edwards goal was presumably why we bought him as his career has been established around his arriving in the box late to finish off moves-more of it please.
I am no great fan of Joey but credit him with taking advantage of Barnsley backing off so he chanced his arm and it worked.
Having already backed Burton for relegation I have just backed Barnsley as well at a standout 9/4 with Bet 365.

As vision said, Barnsley have always been a decent footballing side to watch and normally win enough games to have no relegation worries (a bit like Crewe) but they seem to have lost that and following recent defeats look to face an uphill struggle especially if Sunderland get in the habit of winning games (but preferably not this Saturday).

Vision also said about Kelly now being a bit timid when he gets around the opposition box which is a bit of a mystery as he was the only one scoring goals early on this season so you would expect his confidence would be sky high.
Maybe being in and out of the side both for not being selected and because of injury he has lost confidence and that bit of a swagger that he had previously-hopefully he will get it back.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Nov 2017 10:30

I can only attend midweek fixtures at the moment for family reasons and so the only three league games I have been to have been Villa, Forest and last night - all three wins. Perhaps the club should pay me to attend on Saturdays! I did also attend the awful Swansea Cup game though.

But it was boring. We had three shots on target and three goals. There was little goal mouth action. Unlike many around me in the crowd last night who were willing the team to lose so that Stam would get fired I really WANT him to succeed. It seems to me that last season he instilled a winning mentality in the team - apart from when we lost a early goal and then we often got thrashed because we could not defend. This season the defense is much better but we have not learnt how to move the ball forward effectively. I am hoping that if Stam is here next season (as I doubt we can do much better than half way now this time) that the players can learn to BOTH defend AND attack effectively.

There is still far too much pointless passing around in their own half and often when we break forward the move is negated by a series of backward passes all the way to Mannone. On a couple of occasions JDB held the ball up brilliantly but no one got into the box to support him and he had no choice but to go backwards. Stam really needs to find a way to address this or I fear that crowd numbers will continue to drop irrespective of whether we win or lose.

It feels odd to be so critical when we won 3-0 but the football was not engaging last night which is why I assume the crowd were so quiet. To me Arsenal are the best exponents of passing football but in an engaging way. Obviously sometimes they are stopped by a defensive opposition but over the years they have been generally good to watch. Our players are obviously not as good as Arsenal's but somehow Stam needs to create more excitement if we are to persist with this passing style.

Having said that I was impressed with his interview on BBCRB. He seemed to pretty much agree with most of what I am saying above and even said the players were very disappointed with the performance and so I still have hope of better things to come.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 29 Nov 2017 10:32

I think ambivalence the right emotion to sum up that game. Definitely had a cup feel to it and despite the score line and the good performances, it still had a 'could do better' feel about the whole thing. I thought Bacuna and Barrow were excellent, Joey is definitely benefitting from a sustained run in the side and Edwards is fast becoming the new James Harper; keeps things ticking over nicely without ever being spectacular.

Excellent Cameo from Bod and I thought Pops looked lively when he came on. Should get more pitch time IMO.

Player ratings:

Manone: 6- Tidy and rarely threatened
Gunter: 6- A very Gunter like performance
Moore: 7- Could have been a 8 but not quite his usual high standard
McShane: 6- Solid, but a little shaky in possession
Bacuna: 8- Linked up superbly with Sone and kept his winger very quiet
Joey: 7- Very good display interspersed with a couple of sloppy passes. Great goal too.
Edwards: 7- Did nothing wrong, but didn't notice him much. Well taken goal though
Barrow: 8- MOTM Electric pace and some outrageous bits of skill at times
Aluko: 7- Decent attacking play but I still think he's not quite hit top form
Kelly: 5- Poor Liam looks well off the pace and a bit pi$$ed of tbh. Think Japp needs to give him a cuddle!
Kermorgant-: 6- Still looking to get his full sharpness back but second half of last season was where he hit form so I'm hopeful

Subs:

Bod: 7- Excellent work ethic and great reactions for his goal
Popa: 6- Looked to be trying too hard understandably but good involvement for our third goal
Thiago: 6- No worrying lapses so that's an improvement!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Nov 2017 10:54

andrew1957 many around me in the crowd last night who were willing the team to lose so that Stam would get fired

Well I suggest you grow a pair and tell them to fcuk off cos they`re not welcome. who would ever come hoping we are going to lose?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Nov 2017 11:02

Shhhh!

January is coming...

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Nov 2017 11:11

Snowball Shhhh!

January is coming...

Anybody hoping for multiple signings including a striker are going to be sorely disappointed.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Nov 2017 11:23

Winston Biscuit Barnsley were the worst side I have seen at our place for quite some time.
If you're talking away sides only, then I 100% agree.

However, a win is a win and let's hope it inspires the players to win the next game.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 29 Nov 2017 11:27

Not our best performance of the season, but first half we look assured at the back, were moving the ball quickly and general play was effective. Think JVDB has been crucial for us recently and has really filled Evans role which I think we have been missing with a fantastic range of passing and some crucial ball winning moments. He fills in really nicely allowing the wing backs to go forward which is key for Bacuna because when he plays with Barrow/Aluko we look a real threat.

JDB played excellently when he came on his runs create so much space for Barrow and Aluko to run into and he keeps CB's much more occupied than Kermy who looks to have lost a yard of pace and isn't quite as effective in the air this year as last year but it took him a while to get firing and his front post defending is exceptional for Reading at set pieces.

Really disappointed with Kelly who looks uninterested, doesn't want to win the ball and his passing has been poor needs a wake up call to prove he is worth his run of games. Edwards looked better last night although sometimes allows opposition to pass him to easily and Mcshane still is not filling me with confidence.

Lastly respect to Popa for running his heart out for about 5 minutes before getting tired and then getting an assist, looks fat and unfit and I would largely suggest this is why he's been out the picture, still quicker than Beerens tho so fair play.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Nov 2017 11:29

andrew1957 I can only attend midweek fixtures at the moment for family reasons and so the only three league games I have been to have been Villa, Forest and last night - all three wins. Perhaps the club should pay me to attend on Saturdays! I did also attend the awful Swansea Cup game though.

I have arranged a whip round

So far I've raised 17p from The East Stand, £5,000 from Stam, and a promise of a mill from the owners if you can get us in to the Prem

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Nov 2017 11:31

windermereROYAL
Snowball Shhhh!

January is coming...

Anybody hoping for multiple signings including a striker are going to be sorely disappointed.

I meant we don't want to talk up Bacuna!

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 29 Nov 2017 12:18

3 goals, 3 points AND a profitable correct score prediction - so why did I leave the ground last night feeling no more enthused than I did on Saturday ? Maybe it was just utter frustration with the current style of play or the nagging feeling that this team could play so much better. Perhaps it was the thought of hearing Stam, rambling on yet again during the post-match conference – is it just me or do other people actually understand what he is talking about ?

Will I be turning up again in two weeks time - Yes

Will I leave the ground feeling any different - Probably not... :|

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 29 Nov 2017 13:18

To me, last night's performance was pretty much a copy of Saturday with the obvious exception being that we managed to put the ball in the net this time.

Contrary to many views, I didn't think that Barnsley necessarily sat deep, rather In the 1st half they didn't press together and so we were able to play through them. This I felt was the reason they made a treble substitution at halftime including replacing their front 2. and all of a sudden, combined with some sloppy play on our part, we were put under pressure and found it more difficult. I was really worried that they were going to score from one of the several freekicks they won around our box at the start of the 2nd half as it would obviously have lifted them and knocked our fragile confidence meaning they may well have got something out of the game.

That said Barnsley were poor, though not as bad as Villa were, and their only player of note was the number 9 (Bradshaw?) who came on at halftime. Respect to their fans who came to watch that last night, they even had some nutter who sat for the whole of the 1st half wearing a t-shirt. Didn't see him 2nd half so someone either lent him a jumper or he was rushed to hospital suffering from exposure.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Nov 2017 13:59

Steve_Upper_West 3 goals, 3 points...

...and a clean sheet, too.

I don't often moan about a win. Any win. And I'm not going to now.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Nov 2017 14:17

I enjoyed it, some good play but it definitely had a feel of a friendly after the first couple of goals went in. We played some very nice football in parts, flattered by some very very bad play by Barnsley. After the first two we lowered the tempo and it was a lot more slow patient build up. They also had a few moments end of the first half / early second where if they were more clinical they'd have gotten back into it. Last night it may have been 3-0, if we'd kept playing it could have been 8. On another day we'd have let 2 of 3 in.

Mannone: Did what was needed when called upon, got us out of trouble with the ball at hit feet after one dodgy back pass.
Gunter: don't recall a huge amount good or bad, solid.
Moore: like recent games he was involved at both ends of the pitch. One horrific pass that we'd have crucified Blackett outside the stadium if it had been him.
McShane: definitely not on an upwards trajectory, solid enough, but how long will that remain. Few good interceptions in the box, one back heel that remains in my mind.
Bacuna: was everywhere, right back, drifting into midfield, spent half the game on the wing. One of our better players on the ball (and has end product, so at least it goes to someone), can defend too.
Joey: goal looked even better from east. Absolutely solid in midfield and some great defending. Highlight was a 15 second bit of throwing himself into everything defensively about 5 minutes before half time. He's either immense or a liability. Immense tonight.
Edwards: never notice him much, which I guess means he's doing nothing bad. Helps us tick over.
Barrow: if he had end product he wouldn't be with us.... destroyed Yiadom and Angus.
Aluko: quiet, needs another goal to get his head up, some nice link up with Bacuna. Every shot seems to rake a foot wide of the post - frustrating.
Kelly: seemed to be everywhere in midfield, stuck in and using his strength to steal the ball, decent passing but isn't looking forward as much as the beginning of the season.
Kermorgant-: off the pace, needs a ball to go in off his arse of his elbow.

Subs:

Bod: surprised by his turn of pace off to the right of goal to nip in before the defender, got stuck in and looked imperious. Man on a mission.
Popa: always looks like he'll lead to something happening, surprised he's not been involved more. For a man the Romanian media says is leaving in January and Jaap supposedly "shot deal", he was decent.
Ilori don't recall anything but good to get him some minutes when it was fairly safe as he needs to get back up to speed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2017 15:07

quite impressed the SS highlights managed to not show both teams hitting the post (though a couple of random shots into row z)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Nov 2017 17:30

Record books will show. 3-0 win. 3 points. Clean sheet.

Now 16th. 9 points off the playoffs.

Popa, Kelly, Ilori, Kermorgant and Bodvarsson are got valuable match time minutes under their belts.

No further injuey woes.

Stam admitted that the players were unhappy with their performance. No need to be told. Says the a lot for the desire and passion that's building within the squad.

Cannot remember the last time there were some many positives after a game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Nov 2017 18:43

Steve_Upper_West 3 goals, 3 points AND a profitable correct score prediction - so why did I leave the ground last night feeling no more enthused than I did on Saturday ? Maybe it was just utter frustration with the current style of play or the nagging feeling that this team could play so much better. Perhaps it was the thought of hearing Stam, rambling on yet again during the post-match conference – is it just me or do other people actually understand what he is talking about ?

I think it was you last night. He talked clearly, perfect logically and with a good sense of humour. Adi Williams and Mick Gooding stated that he had seen and called the game just the same that he had. He said he was disappointed with the performance and that some players hadn't performed to the expected standard.

He also admitted to being a very straight talker that might upset people.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Nov 2017 18:55

Had an Atlanta Utd season ticket holder with me (they play really good football). He really enjoyed the game and particularly Barrow's contribution. He also appeared to recognise the quality in many of our players that some of are fans are so quick to criticise. He particularly liked JVDB's combination of hard man/battler and footballing vision/finesse.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2017 20:14

Wasn’t too sure about whether I’d play Joey a few weeks back but he has been very solid recently

Having a good run of games has benefitted him and he was good last night

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2017 10:35

Steve_Upper_West 3 goals, 3 points AND a profitable correct score prediction - so why did I leave the ground last night feeling no more enthused than I did on Saturday ? Maybe it was just utter frustration with the current style of play or the nagging feeling that this team could play so much better. Perhaps it was the thought of hearing Stam, rambling on yet again during the post-match conference – is it just me or do other people actually understand what he is talking about ?

Will I be turning up again in two weeks time - Yes

Will I leave the ground feeling any different - Probably not... :|

2-0 up in 30mins - no need to much else from that point but we still added a 3rd - no point going all out to get 4,5 or 6 just see the game out and conserve energy for the trip to Sunderland, a game that will be much tougher then it would have been a month ago.

As has been said the players were unhappy with their performance which is good to hear especially as our form is getting slowly better. 11pts and 12 goals over the past 6 games. If, and it's a big IF, we can keep this form going then we are looking at getting around 72pts which could be enough for 6th but definitely a top 10 finish.