MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

189 posts
User avatar
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1005
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 11:19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Oilroyal » 03 Dec 2017 01:55

Listen, my team and your team won today and I’m sure we’re both happy. You put it down to whatever, and I put it down to Stam being a bit more human in his approach to his job and his eye on the end goal with the team. Whatever it is, something has changed and whoever happens to be right between Genome and Oilroyal, does it really matter?

We won today, long may this continue. I’m just happy that in my mind Stam has grounded himself these past 4 or 5 games, he’s not been nasty to the media or spiked out at fans, he’s just delivered on the pitch, delivered a product what we all expected since the August.

Whatever you say I'll go along with (keep the peace) .... I'm a Reading fan, have been all my long life.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17054
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by leon » 03 Dec 2017 02:05

From Despair To Where? wrote:Personally, I think Stam's has been trying to make the available players fit the system and, as our experience with Rodgers has shown, that can be a recipe for disaster.

However, a big factor in our recent improvement has been key players who can play the system coming back to fitness and we are now able to play people in the he right positions to make the system work.

I don't necessarily think there's been any significant shift in approach and I don't think there's been any suggestion within the club that Stam's position was under any serious threat. I think maybe he's learned to be a bit more pragmatic but I don't particularly read that as being ego driven, just an inexperienced manager learning his trade. All he's done is what Ferguson did at United and Aberdeen when things got tough, put the shutters up and developed a siege mentality.

What I do think though is that it's absolutely imperative to sign a long term forward in the next 2 windows


yes and no.

We're more direct. Stam has started to play a balanced side - ie a striker in that specialist position (and it is a specialist positon and you can't play a single striker up front to hold the ball up if they are a short, non physically strong Dutch winger - despite what certain internet based football/everything else "experts" will tell you)

It started with playing Smith and yes he was inexperienced but guess what the team looked balanced and guess what, we won.

Finally a settled side and Bacuna - who has just been ace. Get him in midfield. He'll be like a better Danny Williams, as in the Danny Williams who was up for a new contract.

User avatar
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1005
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 11:19

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Oilroyal » 03 Dec 2017 02:17

We have been more direct with our players playing in free form without fear of being dropped for the next game. And we've put out a settled side these past 3 games. What’s changed? it can’t be Stam’s approach to the game and his attitude to the players and results surly.

.

User avatar
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 9824
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: With grace we will suffer, with grace we shall recover

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Dec 2017 09:23

What's changed? It can't be having key players fit again and being able to use a settled side and tactics, surely?

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2979
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2017 10:23

Oilroyal wrote:
genome wrote:Well it doesn't meet my approval because it's based on absolutely zero evidence. Or at least, you haven't offered any.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, just like I'm entitled to think it's baseless nonsense



If you tract my posts back to August, to the QPR game in fact, tract them back to the pre-season trash we were served up. I’ve been highlighting Stem’s egotistical approach right up until the last 4 games. In the last 4 games he’s changed. Not the team, Stam has changed. Legend footballer he may be but he's been a manager in the making who’s still learning his craft. Good to see he’s intelligent enough to be worthy of his title, team manager of RFC. Conjecture my arse…. He’s a rookie that's coming good and I'm relived he's finally got his act together.



Track. Or Tracked. Tract relates to a portion of land.


User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2979
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2017 10:42

leon wrote:
From Despair To Where? wrote:Personally, I think Stam's has been trying to make the available players fit the system and, as our experience with Rodgers has shown, that can be a recipe for disaster.

However, a big factor in our recent improvement has been key players who can play the system coming back to fitness and we are now able to play people in the he right positions to make the system work.

I don't necessarily think there's been any significant shift in approach and I don't think there's been any suggestion within the club that Stam's position was under any serious threat. I think maybe he's learned to be a bit more pragmatic but I don't particularly read that as being ego driven, just an inexperienced manager learning his trade. All he's done is what Ferguson did at United and Aberdeen when things got tough, put the shutters up and developed a siege mentality.

What I do think though is that it's absolutely imperative to sign a long term forward in the next 2 windows


yes and no.

We're more direct. Stam has started to play a balanced side - ie a striker in that specialist position (and it is a specialist positon and you can't play a single striker up front to hold the ball up if they are a short, non physically strong Dutch winger - despite what certain internet based football/everything else "experts" will tell you)

It started with playing Smith and yes he was inexperienced but guess what the team looked balanced and guess what, we won.

Finally a settled side and Bacuna - who has just been ace. Get him in midfield. He'll be like a better Danny Williams, as in the Danny Williams who was up for a new contract.

That's very nice Leon, but you are aware we played with Smith upfront twice, one of which was a much derided home loss? And that he went off when we were only 1-0 up against Forest?

And that we've won more playing Beerens or Clement up front as with Smith? (from a larger pool of games obviously)

And that Beerens only started upfront for the most part when Kermie and Bodvarsson were unfit and Smith was being carefully prepared for whether he was ready to start / injured?

Fully agree on Bacuna.

User avatar
WAZZOCK
Member
Posts: 686
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 23:09

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by WAZZOCK » 03 Dec 2017 10:46

Oilroyal wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
Oilroyal wrote:
I think Stam's finally got himself under control

What is this even supposed to mean.



For those of you like Snowflake who are not tuned into the signs of the basic human ego, until recently the whole show has been about Stam FC and it’s not worked out too well so far. Stam being a half smart human being and after so many games this season, he finally realised that it’s not all about him and never will be. After a SHIT start he’s since became much more media humble and now picks a team based on their effort and not on his egolistic opinion of the opposition, and funny enough the team is now starting to get results. With the Stam Fc arrogance and stubbornness removed I can now see him and the team delivering some decent results and next season he should smash it, as Stam's finally got his own act together.

Understand Snowflake?... or is that way too deep for you?


Get this post in the Hall of Fame for services to bellendry :lol:

User avatar
Hendo
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3185
Joined: 25 Mar 2012 20:53

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Hendo » 03 Dec 2017 11:04

Image

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18798
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by genome » 03 Dec 2017 11:22

Oilroyal wrote:Listen, my team and your team won today and I’m sure we’re both happy. You put it down to whatever, and I put it down to Stam being a bit more human in his approach to his job and his eye on the end goal with the team. Whatever it is, something has changed and whoever happens to be right between Genome and Oilroyal, does it really matter?

We won today, long may this continue. I’m just happy that in my mind Stam has grounded himself these past 4 or 5 games, he’s not been nasty to the media or spiked out at fans, he’s just delivered on the pitch, delivered a product what we all expected since the August.

Whatever you say I'll go along with (keep the peace) .... I'm a Reading fan, have been all my long life.


Well, that's fine, just don't come on here and claim we're not clever enough to understand your opinion and then offer no evidence to back it up.


User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17054
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by leon » 03 Dec 2017 11:24

Snowflake Royal wrote:
leon wrote:
From Despair To Where? wrote:Personally, I think Stam's has been trying to make the available players fit the system and, as our experience with Rodgers has shown, that can be a recipe for disaster.

However, a big factor in our recent improvement has been key players who can play the system coming back to fitness and we are now able to play people in the he right positions to make the system work.

I don't necessarily think there's been any significant shift in approach and I don't think there's been any suggestion within the club that Stam's position was under any serious threat. I think maybe he's learned to be a bit more pragmatic but I don't particularly read that as being ego driven, just an inexperienced manager learning his trade. All he's done is what Ferguson did at United and Aberdeen when things got tough, put the shutters up and developed a siege mentality.

What I do think though is that it's absolutely imperative to sign a long term forward in the next 2 windows


yes and no.

We're more direct. Stam has started to play a balanced side - ie a striker in that specialist position (and it is a specialist positon and you can't play a single striker up front to hold the ball up if they are a short, non physically strong Dutch winger - despite what certain internet based football/everything else "experts" will tell you)

It started with playing Smith and yes he was inexperienced but guess what the team looked balanced and guess what, we won.

Finally a settled side and Bacuna - who has just been ace. Get him in midfield. He'll be like a better Danny Williams, as in the Danny Williams who was up for a new contract.

That's very nice Leon, but you are aware we played with Smith upfront twice, one of which was a much derided home loss? And that he went off when we were only 1-0 up against Forest?

And that we've won more playing Beerens or Clement up front as with Smith? (from a larger pool of games obviously)

And that Beerens only started upfront for the most part when Kermie and Bodvarsson were unfit and Smith was being carefully prepared for whether he was ready to start / injured?

Fully agree on Bacuna.


As you well know my point is about playing a balanced side. Irrespective of individuals. Nowhere’s have I said Smith is/was the answer to our problems. We are talking about roles within a team, but the answer never was Beerens. We have a specialist in that role now and we look better.

And that is just one aspect of the issues we are/have faced - it’s not black and white - but we had to get the basics right, and no amount of smart arsed little comments from you will change my mind on that.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2979
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2017 12:16

leon wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:
leon wrote:
yes and no.

We're more direct. Stam has started to play a balanced side - ie a striker in that specialist position (and it is a specialist positon and you can't play a single striker up front to hold the ball up if they are a short, non physically strong Dutch winger - despite what certain internet based football/everything else "experts" will tell you)

It started with playing Smith and yes he was inexperienced but guess what the team looked balanced and guess what, we won.

Finally a settled side and Bacuna - who has just been ace. Get him in midfield. He'll be like a better Danny Williams, as in the Danny Williams who was up for a new contract.

That's very nice Leon, but you are aware we played with Smith upfront twice, one of which was a much derided home loss? And that he went off when we were only 1-0 up against Forest?

And that we've won more playing Beerens or Clement up front as with Smith? (from a larger pool of games obviously)

And that Beerens only started upfront for the most part when Kermie and Bodvarsson were unfit and Smith was being carefully prepared for whether he was ready to start / injured?

Fully agree on Bacuna.


As you well know my point is about playing a balanced side. Irrespective of individuals. Nowhere’s have I said Smith is/was the answer to our problems. We are talking about roles within a team, but the answer never was Beerens. We have a specialist in that role now and we look better.

And that is just one aspect of the issues we are/have faced - it’s not black and white - but we had to get the basics right, and no amount of smart arsed little comments from you will change my mind on that.

And how would we get the basics of playing a balanced side with a specialisr striker right if we didn't have one fit and ready? You're right, butyou were blaming the wrong cause.

The biggest difference has been having most of our best players fit and ready.

Calling Strap:
What's our record like when Barrow, Aluko, Moore, McShane, Bacuna and one of Kermie or Bodvarsson have played at least 60 minutes together from starting? And what's it like without that combination?

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5505
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Hound » 03 Dec 2017 13:05

Agree to an extent with Bacuna in midfield, but he has been great at RB and Gunter has worked out well at LB

Wouldn’t feel it’s jn our best interests to change that back 4 at the moment

Long term, getting Swift, Bacuna +1 of Edwards, Joey, Evans or Kelly is prob the way to go, but would leave as is at moment

I’m not sure on the striker issue. Yann is getting back to speed and I’ve a lot of time for Dadi. Would like to see maybe Hugill come along, or even Oliveira again, but not actually that fussed at the moment

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18798
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by genome » 03 Dec 2017 13:13

The lack of a striker is less of an issue now Barrow and Aluko are more effective. 15 goals in the last 7.

I still think we should bring one in though, to give us a different option up there.


Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5505
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Hound » 03 Dec 2017 13:15

genome wrote:The lack of a striker is less of an issue now Barrow and Aluko are more effective. 15 goals in the last 7.

I still think we should bring one in though, to give us a different option up there.


Yann and Dadi are different options

Wouldn’t say no to someone else coming in, but won’t be on here whinging if we don’t

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17054
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by leon » 03 Dec 2017 20:16

Snowflake Royal wrote:
leon wrote:
Snowflake Royal wrote:That's very nice Leon, but you are aware we played with Smith upfront twice, one of which was a much derided home loss? And that he went off when we were only 1-0 up against Forest?

And that we've won more playing Beerens or Clement up front as with Smith? (from a larger pool of games obviously)

And that Beerens only started upfront for the most part when Kermie and Bodvarsson were unfit and Smith was being carefully prepared for whether he was ready to start / injured?

Fully agree on Bacuna.


As you well know my point is about playing a balanced side. Irrespective of individuals. Nowhere’s have I said Smith is/was the answer to our problems. We are talking about roles within a team, but the answer never was Beerens. We have a specialist in that role now and we look better.

And that is just one aspect of the issues we are/have faced - it’s not black and white - but we had to get the basics right, and no amount of smart arsed little comments from you will change my mind on that.

And how would we get the basics of playing a balanced side with a specialisr striker right if we didn't have one fit and ready? You're right, butyou were blaming the wrong cause.

The biggest difference has been having most of our best players fit and ready.

Calling Strap:
What's our record like when Barrow, Aluko, Moore, McShane, Bacuna and one of Kermie or Bodvarsson have played at least 60 minutes together from starting? And what's it like without that combination?


We had this over a month ago and it was tiresome to the extreme then. It’s a non debate as far as I’m concerned.

I cant say I’m interested in carrying this discourse on any further.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2979
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2017 20:45

Fair enough, you brought it up again.

User avatar
WAZZOCK
Member
Posts: 686
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 23:09

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by WAZZOCK » 03 Dec 2017 20:45

Leon's thrown the towel in.

Snowflakes 1-0 Leon

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 21016
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 19:49
Location: A Hicks Hoof from Coley Park

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Dec 2017 20:46

Snowflake Royal wrote:Fair enough, you brought it up again.
twice

User avatar
maffff
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5469
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 10:22

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by maffff » 04 Dec 2017 16:03

genome wrote:The lack of a striker is less of an issue now Barrow and Aluko are more effective. 15 goals in the last 7.

I still think we should bring one in though, to give us a different option up there.

Obviously I'd like one too but Yann and Bod are coming back off injuries, Mendes shouldn't be too far away either. Plus we have given Smith time this season and Loader has been on the bench. Both Beerens and Clement have had opportunities too. Numbers up top aren't an issue, varying quality, form and fitness has been. Would hope for any new striker to be a clear upgrade on anything we currently have (perhaps a fully fit Yann aside)

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17054
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sunderland (a) sponsored by Charlie Hurley

by leon » 04 Dec 2017 16:05

Snowflake Royal wrote:Fair enough, you brought it up again.


Because I’m right.

Only a fool or someone who has an odd need to try and win internet arguments with strangers would argue you don’t need strikers playing as strikers.

189 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: John Smith, Tilehurstsouthbank and 19 guests

It is currently 18 Jun 2018 12:15