BFTG - Cardiff

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by bcubed » 12 Dec 2017 13:29

FiNeRaIn Reading have been great for giving other fans DVD memories at their own expense in recent times. 2-0 at home with the opposition manager sent to the stands and you bend over and throw it away with a whimper. We are such a poorly organized defensive team that im starting to think even if we do get the striker in we didn't get in the summer that it won't make a difference. As soon as the going gets tough, we fold. Had this been away in Cardiff 0-2 down we'd have been spanked. Say what you want about Colin, he knows the organization, toughness and discipline needed to get out of this league, I think they'll finish runners up to Man City( Wolves) and do it. We won't be in the mix.

This may be a tad harsh but last night I thought they would score on every attack
The comeback was all too predictable

I would phase out McShane and use Ilori Moore and Blackett
Not blaming it all on him but he is looking slow and making mistakes

And Bacuna at right back is wasted. Get Gunter back there and play Omar Richards at left back leaving Bacuna to play in front of the back 4/5

JvDB looked cumbersome and slow; more so on the TV than in real life

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2017 13:57

Winston Biscuit
RoyalBlue
Winston Biscuit
I can understand that phrase being used against ISIS, or Kim Jong-un, or those #lads running the slave trade in Libya, but against a OAP who manages a football team?

The norm being applied was decency in football not society! He is a thoroughly nasty bit of work, and his charm away from matches themselves does not sufficiently compensate for the cynicism and nastiness displayed through every 90 minutes.

He is just a fella going about his business managing a football team. May well be a thoroughly nice bloke for all we know.

I can't even begin to imagine how you must react when you come across someone with actual real irl mentalist views.

I acknowledged that he might be a nice guy away from the pitch. I wasn't commenting on wider society as already stated. I was focusing on the way he is 'going about his business managing a football team' and stating that in that role he is a thoroughly nasty piece of work from his completely OTT antics on the touchline (an appalling example to youngsters) through to the way he encourages his teams to adopt an overly physical approach to reportedly encouraging players to try to injure opponents.

Last attempt at trying to get you to read my remarks within the very clear context that they were set.

If you want a comment on other real nasties within society in general - let's start with Herr Trump (apologies to the overwhelming majority of decent Germans for using the German title).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2017 14:02

bcubed
FiNeRaIn Reading have been great for giving other fans DVD memories at their own expense in recent times. 2-0 at home with the opposition manager sent to the stands and you bend over and throw it away with a whimper. We are such a poorly organized defensive team that im starting to think even if we do get the striker in we didn't get in the summer that it won't make a difference. As soon as the going gets tough, we fold. Had this been away in Cardiff 0-2 down we'd have been spanked. Say what you want about Colin, he knows the organization, toughness and discipline needed to get out of this league, I think they'll finish runners up to Man City( Wolves) and do it. We won't be in the mix.

This may be a tad harsh but last night I thought they would score on every attack
The comeback was all too predictable

I would phase out McShane and use Ilori Moore and Blackett
Not blaming it all on him but he is looking slow and making mistakes

And Bacuna at right back is wasted. Get Gunter back there and play Omar Richards at left back leaving Bacuna to play in front of the back 4/5

JvDB looked cumbersome and slow; more so on the TV than in real life

Must have been watching a different game from the one I saw in person at The Madejski. Didn't get worried at all that Cardiff would score until final 10 minutes or so. IMO nowhere near as threatening in attack as Wolves and their defence looked dire at times.

Think all of your criticism is harsh - that of McShane perhaps the most warranted but still harsh in the context of the full 90 minutes. In particular I thought JvDB was absolutely immense last night. Produced numerous, perfectly executed and critical challenges last night.

biff

by biff » 12 Dec 2017 14:05

Platypuss McShane now looks properly on the wane.

That blind backpass from the wing *shudder*

That was disgusting. Vito did very well to tackle the striker at the second attempt. Put him out for glue.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Dec 2017 14:48

Noticed a few Brighton fans giving it big on twitter when Cardiff equalised last night, I`m truly baffled why they have an obsession with us even when we are no longer in the same division. :shock:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 12 Dec 2017 14:54

LUX as an aside I wonder how many on here have been to all our play-off finals, plus the Arsenal cup semi.

I was at Wembley for the Simod Cup too, but it's been all downhill since.

I've been to every one of those games and Simon Cup aside every other game brings back memories like a jagged rusty dagger plunging through the heart.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Dec 2017 14:58

Gunny Fishcake
LUX as an aside I wonder how many on here have been to all our play-off finals, plus the Arsenal cup semi.

I've been to every one of those games and Simon Cup aside every other game brings back memories like a jagged rusty dagger plunging through the heart.

TBH I'm pretty surprised you know what that`s like.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2017 16:26

Gunny Fishcake

It would be interesting to rank them in order of hurt.

Bolton is obviously top. I think Huddersfield might now rank next, merely because when we took that good lead in the shoot out I actually believed we would finally bury the playoff curse. I would put Walsall next - awful luck and such a dreadfully long and sad journey back, particularly when travelling alongside coaches of Walsall fans. Next Arsenal, then Swansea - the paid of the latter quickly faded due to the way we made such a fight of it in the end and also what then followed so quickly.

Luton was, of course, pure delight and the stuff dreams are made of. Still remember Luton fans jokingly asking after the game 'can we have our ball back'.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 12 Dec 2017 17:10

RoyalBlue
Gunny Fishcake

It would be interesting to rank them in order of hurt.

Bolton is obviously top. I think Huddersfield might now rank next, merely because when we took that good lead in the shoot out I actually believed we would finally bury the playoff curse. I would put Walsall next - awful luck and such a dreadfully long and sad journey back, particularly when travelling alongside coaches of Walsall fans. Next Arsenal, then Swansea - the paid of the latter quickly faded due to the way we made such a fight of it in the end and also what then followed so quickly.

Luton was, of course, pure delight and the stuff dreams are made of. Still remember Luton fans jokingly asking after the game 'can we have our ball back'.

My Order of Hurt....

1....Bolton....2-0 and to miss a penalty and make history
2....Walsall....2-1 in extra time and lose 2-3
3....Huddersfield.....2-1 up in penalty shoot out still lose
4....Swansea....3-0 down back to 3-2 , hit the post and lose
5....Arsenal....Federici letting that ball through his legs so he could get married on Cup Final day (joke)

You couldn't really make it

I can't comprehend another trip to Wembley

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 12 Dec 2017 18:28

While it is the Players who are ultimately responsible for last nights fiasco;Stam made a critical error last night in not making a substuition at least 15 minutes before their 1st goal. Instead of which he just sat on his hands.
While I felt absolutely gutted walking back to the car-it was an exciting game, and both sides gave it a real go.For the first time in age , did Cardiff edge the possession although I think we shaded the chances.
I also think they seemed fitter than us; with a number of our players breathing out of their rear orifice.
IMHO:

Mannone 6: Didn't do a lot wrong and a couple of good saves; but those back line passes still give me concern.

Gunter 5: A poorish game; got round the back a couple of times, but his final ball was always poor .
Bacuna 6: Got a bit of a chasing & often out of position-the sooner we get him into central midfield the better.

McShane 6: Found out a couple of times, but kept battling.
Moore 5: Not usual service & that scuff after a very positive run was embarrassing,

Joey 5: Disappeared in the 2nd half & some comically bad moments
Kelly 4: Very good corners, but too often overpowered, and gasping for air 2nd half -why ?
Edwards 6: OK but nothing special.

Barrow 6: Probably our best player;but disappeared for long periods 2nd half.Gave up tracking back late on.
Kermit 4: Have we seen the best of him-total lack of pace.
Alukho 5: He really does give up easily, under any provocation.

Dadda: TBF to Stam on the necessary subs, when he did come on, he made little impact.

Ref: No wonder he hacked Colin off-he was awful.

Cardiff: Weak at the back-but pacy and powerful up front. Their fitness levels finally saw them through.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Dec 2017 18:35

Finally a settled team. Far from being the best, with weak links and players out of position. Yet still good enough to give Cardiff a real game. The "project" continues. Seems a long way from Stam losing his job and a poor run of performances just a few weeks back.

Last night showed how lacking on the bench for a strong midfield player. Yann dropping back was the only option. Clement would have been too lightweight in what was a physical encounter.

Would have settled for a point before the game started. While disappointed with the result. Was a good game to watch on a cold night.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Dec 2017 18:44

Westwood52 While it is the Players who are ultimately responsible for last nights fiasco;Stam made a critical error last night in not making a substuition at least 15 minutes before their 1st goal. Instead of which he just sat on his hands.
While I felt absolutely gutted walking back to the car-it was an exciting game, and both sides gave it a real go.For the first time in age , did Cardiff edge the possession although I think we shaded the chances.
I also think they seemed fitter than us; with a number of our players breathing out of their rear orifice.
IMHO:

Mannone 6: Didn't do a lot wrong and a couple of good saves; but those back line passes still give me concern.

Gunter 5: A poorish game; got round the back a couple of times, but his final ball was always poor .
Bacuna 6: Got a bit of a chasing & often out of position-the sooner we get him into central midfield the better.

Moore 5: Not usual service & that scuff after a very positive run was embarrassing,

Kelly 4: Very good corners, but too often overpowered, and gasping for air 2nd half -why ?

Barrow 6: Probably our best player;but disappeared for long periods 2nd half.Gave up tracking back late on.

Dadda: TBF to Stam on the necessary subs, when he did come on, he made little impact.

Cardiff: Weak at the back-but pacy and powerful up front. Their fitness levels finally saw them through.

Christ, someone's taken a dose of dear old floyde__street's medicine!! Do you have anything at all positive to say about last night? Go on, give it a try...you may even like it a little :roll:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Dec 2017 18:47

Westwood52 While it is the Players who are ultimately responsible for last nights fiasco;Stam made a critical error last night in not making a substuition at least 15 minutes before their 1st goal. Instead of which he just sat on his hands.
IMHO:

:shock: those are some seriously harsh scores.

Definitely not the scores for a team than until the 82min was 2-0 against the team comfortably in 2nd.....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2017 19:13

John Madejski's Wallet
IMHO:

:shock: those are some seriously harsh scores.

Definitely not the scores for a team than until the 82min was 2-0 against the team comfortably in 2nd.....

Agreed. I would add 25-30% to those scores and am surprised at a lot of the criticism levelled at each of the players. I was more angry and frustrated than disappointed when the equaliser went in. And, I really enjoyed the game. As some of the neutral commentators observed, we played some football that was really good on the eyes, particularly during the first half.

Once again we paid the price for failing to convert some really good chances to put the game beyond Cardiff. I do think the subs were a bit late and would have brought Popa on for Aluko a fair bit earlier. Once again Popa showed in his short appearance last night that he is capable of producing some magic to either score or help create a goal. He really is a tremendous threat when he works his way in to shoot from corners like that and, unlike many of our players, he has the confidence and self-belief to try things like that.

What was really disappointing was that having played the possession game so well, even when under pressure in our own area, during the first half, we then stopped doing that in the second when that was exactly what was needed. I don't buy Gooding's and Williams' argument that Cardiff pushing on prevented our players from doing it. They just seemed to lose confidence and some concentration and ended up panicking and just trying to clear the ball anyway they could. On most occasions that just gifted possession straight back to Cardiff and brought yet more concerted pressure on our goal. Maybe the players sensed the nerves of the crowd? Maybe they even responded to the shouts from the crowd to just clear the ball.

Had we kept the ball like we did in the first half, Cardiff would have become frustrated and tired, which I am sure would have led to at least another goal for us. A key point of possession football is your opponents can't score if you don't let them have the ball!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 12 Dec 2017 19:22

RoyalBlue I can't respect someone who repeatedly and IMO (and that of many others, including those in the game) very deliberately gets his players to target skillful opposing players and injure them in order to put them out of the game. He also adopts unacceptably intimidating tactics to try to influence match officials in his favour.

A thoroughly nasty piece of work who pushes the boundaries beyond any degree of acceptability/decency. How many times has he been sent off at Reading now?

Warnock has always sent his teams out to play tough, wind up the opposition and get under their skin. He has never seriously suggested that his players break legs or deliberately take the other person out of the game, he just wants a reaction from his players and wants the opposing players to go into their shell and stop playing. Even the Hunt incident was the same and he got his reaction. Michael Clarke in the cricket was sledging Anderson about a broken arm, do you think he was serious? No, same deal. Outrage the opposition. He wouldn't still be in the game if current/ex-players, managers and pundits thought that his real intent was to violently assault his opponents. I am not saying I like his tactics or that his teams haven't put poor challenges in that he shouldn't take responsibility for, and at times of course they have gone over the top, but the notion he wants to kill every team he plays is silly.

Reading fans seem to genuinely hate Warnock while most other's just think hes a twat, it makes us look very bitter despite having a decent record against him. Just ignore him and get on with it, the fact that we make such a big deal about him every time he turns up takes the attention off his team. Both he and his players love it and it motivates them as it did again last night, you fall right into the trap and spur them on.

He is what he is. He's a character with an entertainment value, a villain role and he does a good job with his teams. When he's gone we'll be left with more politically correct passionless robots giving the same cliche interviews.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 12 Dec 2017 19:32

I have to say that I thought last night was a great game of football and I really enjoyed it. Best match I have seen for ages.

After the 3-0 bore fest against Barnsley last night was a breath of fresh air. If we had held on and won 2-1 then everyone would be saying it was a great performance but RFC fans (and all modern fans) seem result obsessed. If we win we played fantastically but if we lose or draw from a winning position we were awful.

I thought last night was a massive improvement from the Barnsley game because whereas Barnsley were absolutely atrocious and we should have won by far more, Cardiff are second for a reason. They are big, strong, fit and came at us for much of the game.

On the whole I thought we handled it well. If there is fault then it was in not getting a third goal - as we had a number of chances and then we would definitely have won the game.

But instead it was what they call 2-0 football. Cardiff had nothing to lose and so threw everything at us. More often than not I would have expected us to get a breakaway goal with the pace of Barrow/Aluko or JDB and win 3-1 but it was not our night in the end. But I would have been very happy with a point at the start of the game and thought that for 75 minutes or so that it was the best I had seen Reading play in quite a while.

I came away thinking that play offs are now well within our grasp - especially looking at the fixture list we have now until the start of February. If we can play as well in the next 9 or so games as we did last night I expect us to be just outside the play offs by early February. And then who knows - yet another Wembley disaster no doubt.

I am quite surprised by the negative tone on here in truth.

At least I now have some hope of winning my large bet that we end up top half! Paddy Power must be quaking in their boots.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2017 21:18

Stranded
Hound I'm guessing whoever gave Bacuna mom prob hasn't seen a lot of him.

He still had good moments, but it wasn't one of his better displays for us.

Agreed - he has a slightly worrying tendancy to switch off momentarily in games or get frustrated momentarily during otherwise decent performances. Agreed with whoever said he should have been tighter for the 1st goal but to be fair, McShane really should have cleared better than he did.

I think the defence suffers a bit from the drilling on passing out, so when it really does require a proper thump upfield, they're instinctively looking for a controlled pass out of the box. Under that sort of pressure it just goes wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2017 21:20

Quite a lot I imagine. I have. Missed the Simod though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2017 21:24

Coppells Lost Coat We came out the blocks last night with a real urgency to get up the pitch quicker. Kermie up top with Barrow and Aluko busting a gut to catch up with the knock downs. It is a shame Kelly couldn't quite get his foot on to the second balls though, a bit more grit and aggression and we would have had a field day IMO.
All that effort in the first 60 mins really tolled on the front 3, I dont think it was Cardiff out playing us, they just had more left in the tank. Also Stam taking too long to make the change had a huge impact on the rest of the team trying to cover for knackered players not keeping up with the play - giving the running Barrow and Aluko did through out, I feel the protection given to Bacuna and Gunter was poor in the latter stages of the game.

This seems right to me... I think maybe it would have been better to make subs 5-10 minutes earlier, and to bring Bod on for Barrow rather than Kelly, Kelly may not be tough tackling, but he's defensively much more solid than Barrow. You could argue he wanted pace to allow us to break, but we just had no way out so it didn't work.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2017 21:27

IMHO:

You sound fun. Can I be your friend?