BFTG - Cardiff

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Cardiff

by Lower West » 12 Dec 2017 21:32

andrew1957 I am quite surprised by the negative tone on here in truth.

Instant success only. No patience. Watching a club like Reading will always be disappointed.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Dec 2017 22:10

windermereROYAL
LUX as an aside I wonder how many on here have been to all our play-off finals, plus the Arsenal cup semi.

I was at Wembley for the Simod Cup too, but it's been all downhill since.

Went to them all. inc Simod cup. only one I missed was Walsall. bloody hard being a Reading fan, but many fans of teams lower down the ladder would give their right arm to play at Wembley has many times as we have..another win there would be nice though.

Flew over from US for 2 days for Walsall final in Cardiff...landed at Heathrow at 9am on day of game. Met up with 3 buddies and went on train to game. Was so mad we lost we got trashed in town afterwards...and we got so wrecked we missed the last train back...one of us made it on, 3 didn't, by a few feet as it pulled away. So, mad at that, we went back in to town and got trashed a whole lot more. Eventually we crawled in to a Cardiff taxi at about 3 in the morning...the only driver that would take us.... we had to arrange the fare and show him the cash beforehand...and took that cab all the way back to my parent's house in Maidenhead...my Mum was waiting for me at bottom of stairs as I kicked/smashed the milk bottles on the way in...and the one-way trip with tip in the cab was about 400 quid :(

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 13 Dec 2017 00:14

RoyalBlue What was really disappointing was that having played the possession game so well, even when under pressure in our own area, during the first half, we then stopped doing that in the second when that was exactly what was needed.

Had we kept the ball like we did in the first half, Cardiff would have become frustrated and tired, which I am sure would have led to at least another goal for us. A key point of possession football is your opponents can't score if you don't let them have the ball!

I entirely agree!! Hoofing the ball to 'safety' is usually the same as giving it back to the opposition so they can come again!

I've also not read any comments regarding the push on Bacuna in the Cardiff box. Respect to him for staying on his feet but had he gone down the odds, I reckon, would be on a penalty to us and a chance for 3 - 0.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Dec 2017 02:51

RoyalBlue What was really disappointing was that having played the possession game so well, even when under pressure in our own area, during the first half, we then stopped doing that in the second when that was exactly what was needed.

I've been saying this for a long time. We base our game on this style yet don't implement it when we need it most. Of course pressure builds but there are times when there are multiple different outlets which require a bit of thought, but instead hoof it "clear".

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Dec 2017 02:55

Denver Royal
windermereROYAL
LUX as an aside I wonder how many on here have been to all our play-off finals, plus the Arsenal cup semi.

Went to them all. inc Simod cup. only one I missed was Walsall. bloody hard being a Reading fan, but many fans of teams lower down the ladder would give their right arm to play at Wembley has many times as we have..another win there would be nice though.

Flew over from US for 2 days for Walsall final in Cardiff...landed at Heathrow at 9am on day of game. Met up with 3 buddies and went on train to game. Was so mad we lost we got trashed in town afterwards...and we got so wrecked we missed the last train back...one of us made it on, 3 didn't, by a few feet as it pulled away. So, mad at that, we went back in to town and got trashed a whole lot more. Eventually we crawled in to a Cardiff taxi at about 3 in the morning...the only driver that would take us.... we had to arrange the fare and show him the cash beforehand...and took that cab all the way back to my parent's house in Maidenhead...my Mum was waiting for me at bottom of stairs as I kicked/smashed the milk bottles on the way in...and the one-way trip with tip in the cab was about 400 quid :(

Lol epic. I thought about flying back from LA for last years final but I am a negative twat and I thought we'd lose, with good reason. Out of all my sports teams I've only ever seen one win it all in a one off game or a playoff campaign and that was the England rugby final in 2003. I've seen every reading play-off failure, every England knockout exit of the euros and world cup, the LA dodgers consistent playoff failure which reminds me of Reading the way they find ways to lose, the England 20/20 cricket final, the Rugby league final a few weeks ago. Doesn't matter what sport if I support that team we just blow it. Just one win for England in 2003 where I had that feeling of magic in a win or lose moment, that's probably all im going to get.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2017 07:20

FiNeRaIn
RoyalBlue I can't respect someone who repeatedly and IMO (and that of many others, including those in the game) very deliberately gets his players to target skillful opposing players and injure them in order to put them out of the game. He also adopts unacceptably intimidating tactics to try to influence match officials in his favour.

A thoroughly nasty piece of work who pushes the boundaries beyond any degree of acceptability/decency. How many times has he been sent off at Reading now?

Warnock has always sent his teams out to play tough, wind up the opposition and get under their skin. He has never seriously suggested that his players break legs or deliberately take the other person out of the game, he just wants a reaction from his players and wants the opposing players to go into their shell and stop playing. .

How do you know he has never seriously told his players to deliberately take players out of the game? (and I accept we only have third party reports of the contrary). Even if he hasn't, his approach has clearly led to players in his teams committing some very nasty fouls on opponents that have taken them out of the game and could have ended their careers (e.g. Karacan when Colin was in charge of Leeds). Even if that wasn't his intent, some footballers aren't overly blessed with brain cells and may well misunderstand what he is 'asking of them'.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 13 Dec 2017 07:56

leon

In - for the I've seen all of our Play Off Final disasters club. (Plus Arsenal semi, not Simod alas.)

Every time since Walsall I've said never again.

Only one I have missed was Swansea as my foolish brother decided to get married that weekend without checking the fixture list. Flew back from working in Munich for Walsall and back from Oz for the semi and Huddersfield. Will doubtless do it again if the chance comes up this year.

Half Biscuit

by Half Biscuit » 13 Dec 2017 08:26

RoyalBlue Even if that wasn't his intent, some footballers aren't overly blessed with brain cells and may well misunderstand what he is 'asking of them'.

A bit like Henry II and Thomas A'Becket.

Iirc, Warnock allegedly asked his players to 'rid him of this troublesome midfielder' Steve Sidwell in the PL game, 2007.

(Allegedly.)

Marino13

by Marino13 » 13 Dec 2017 10:25

Lower West
andrew1957 I am quite surprised by the negative tone on here in truth.

Instant success only. No patience. Watching a club like Reading will always be disappointed.

i was encouraged, especially by the 1st half performance.
we just need to improve our game management.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2017 11:40

10539.4 Miles Away Only one I have missed was Swansea as my foolish brother decided to get married that weekend without checking the fixture list. Flew back from working in Munich for Walsall and back from Oz for the semi and Huddersfield. Will doubtless do it again if the chance comes up this year.

As ever you shame me as I couldn't even be arsed to get to the Huddersfield game from Cornwall, although I very much made the right decision.

FWIW also missed Bolton and the Wigan (H) semi

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2017 12:05

Missed the Simod Cup on account of not existing at the time. I went to Bolton as a 6 year old and apparently cried all the way home.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2017 12:11

genome Missed the Simod Cup on account of not existing at the time.

You call that an excuse?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 13 Dec 2017 13:07

andrew1957 I have to say that I thought last night was a great game of football and I really enjoyed it. Best match I have seen for ages.

After the 3-0 bore fest against Barnsley last night was a breath of fresh air. If we had held on and won 2-1 then everyone would be saying it was a great performance but RFC fans (and all modern fans) seem result obsessed. If we win we played fantastically but if we lose or draw from a winning position we were awful.

I thought last night was a massive improvement from the Barnsley game because whereas Barnsley were absolutely atrocious and we should have won by far more, Cardiff are second for a reason. They are big, strong, fit and came at us for much of the game.

On the whole I thought we handled it well. If there is fault then it was in not getting a third goal - as we had a number of chances and then we would definitely have won the game.

Good to see you back to your enthusiastic self of old.
One thing-what price did you get for a top half finish?
At the start of the season I would guess that the odds would have been something like 1/3 for a team finishing last season in the play-offs or maybe nearer evens if it were a few weeks ago when we were around 18th in the table so I can't see you making your fortune with Paddy Power

But instead it was what they call 2-0 football. Cardiff had nothing to lose and so threw everything at us. More often than not I would have expected us to get a breakaway goal with the pace of Barrow/Aluko or JDB and win 3-1 but it was not our night in the end. But I would have been very happy with a point at the start of the game and thought that for 75 minutes or so that it was the best I had seen Reading play in quite a while.

I came away thinking that play offs are now well within our grasp - especially looking at the fixture list we have now until the start of February. If we can play as well in the next 9 or so games as we did last night I expect us to be just outside the play offs by early February. And then who knows - yet another Wembley disaster no doubt.

I am quite surprised by the negative tone on here in truth.

At least I now have some hope of winning my large bet that we end up top half! Paddy Power must be quaking in their boots.

At the start of the season I would guess that the odds would have been something like 1/3 for a team finishing last season in the play-offs or maybe nearer evens if it were a few weeks ago when we were around 18th in the table.-either way I don't think Paddy Power will be over concerned unless you put thousands on. :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Dec 2017 13:30

genome Missed the Simod Cup on account of not existing at the time. I went to Bolton as a 6 year old and apparently cried all the way home.

Shouldn't feel bad about that. I woke up sobbing uncontrollably in the middle of the night after that game. And I hadn't long become a parent in my early 30s! Thank God for the existence of my baby son, as he helped put things back into some perspective (eventually!).

My 22 year old daughter continued the family tradition by bursting into tears and being inconsolable in The Brewhouse Cafe in Atlanta when Schindler scored his penalty for Huddersfield. Meanwhile, this side of the pond, my own 'matured'/hardened/accustomed reaction at Wembley was slamming the back of my seat and swearing.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Dec 2017 13:36

genome Missed the Simod Cup on account of not existing at the time. I went to Bolton as a 6 year old and apparently cried all the way home.

I didn't start going to watch Reading until the 1988-89 season so I also missed our only positive Wembley/Cardiff appearance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2017 13:38

RoyalBlue

Shouldn't feel bad about that. I woke up sobbing uncontrollably in the middle of the night after that game. And I hadn't long become a parent in my early 30s! Thank God for the existence of my baby son, as he helped put things back into some perspective (eventually!).

My 22 year old daughter continued the family tradition by bursting into tears and being inconsolable in The Brewhouse Cafe in Atlanta when Schindler scored his penalty for Huddersfield. Meanwhile, this side of the pond, my own 'matured'/hardened/accustomed reaction at Wembley was slamming the back of my seat and swearing.

Haha, when Schindler scored his penalty I just immediately grabbed my things and left.

I didn't even once look back to the pitch to see them celebrating.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 13 Dec 2017 14:28

FiNeRaIn
RoyalBlue I can't respect someone who repeatedly and IMO (and that of many others, including those in the game) very deliberately gets his players to target skillful opposing players and injure them in order to put them out of the game. He also adopts unacceptably intimidating tactics to try to influence match officials in his favour.

A thoroughly nasty piece of work who pushes the boundaries beyond any degree of acceptability/decency. How many times has he been sent off at Reading now?

Warnock has always sent his teams out to play tough, wind up the opposition and get under their skin. He has never seriously suggested that his players break legs or deliberately take the other person out of the game, he just wants a reaction from his players and wants the opposing players to go into their shell and stop playing. Even the Hunt incident was the same and he got his reaction.

You've obviously never heard of the "battle of Bramall Lane" which I think is where Wally Downes' "dislike" of Colin originally came from and not helped when WD overheard (or thought he did at least) him instructing one of his players to "do Sidwell"

I don't mind seeing good strong tackling but IMO Colin's teams are always overly physical - remember it was his Leeds team that originally did Karacan. Not sure if it was the same game or not but they also had Pugh kicking lumps out of any Reading player who breached his personal 5 yard exclusion zone although strangely it was Lees who got sent off.

I didn't think the "Hunt incident" was anything to do with Colin, but was just a bit of north/south "rivalry/banter" between Hunt and Gillespie

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Dec 2017 15:01

BR2
andrew1957 I have to say that I thought last night was a great game of football and I really enjoyed it. Best match I have seen for ages.

After the 3-0 bore fest against Barnsley last night was a breath of fresh air. If we had held on and won 2-1 then everyone would be saying it was a great performance but RFC fans (and all modern fans) seem result obsessed. If we win we played fantastically but if we lose or draw from a winning position we were awful.

I thought last night was a massive improvement from the Barnsley game because whereas Barnsley were absolutely atrocious and we should have won by far more, Cardiff are second for a reason. They are big, strong, fit and came at us for much of the game.

On the whole I thought we handled it well. If there is fault then it was in not getting a third goal - as we had a number of chances and then we would definitely have won the game.

At the start of the season I would guess that the odds would have been something like 1/3 for a team finishing last season in the play-offs or maybe nearer evens if it were a few weeks ago when we were around 18th in the table so I can't see you making your fortune with Paddy Power

But instead it was what they call 2-0 football. Cardiff had nothing to lose and so threw everything at us. More often than not I would have expected us to get a breakaway goal with the pace of Barrow/Aluko or JDB and win 3-1 but it was not our night in the end. But I would have been very happy with a point at the start of the game and thought that for 75 minutes or so that it was the best I had seen Reading play in quite a while.

I came away thinking that play offs are now well within our grasp - especially looking at the fixture list we have now until the start of February. If we can play as well in the next 9 or so games as we did last night I expect us to be just outside the play offs by early February. And then who knows - yet another Wembley disaster no doubt.

I am quite surprised by the negative tone on here in truth.

At least I now have some hope of winning my large bet that we end up top half! Paddy Power must be quaking in their boots.

At the start of the season I would guess that the odds would have been something like 1/3 for a team finishing last season in the play-offs or maybe nearer evens if it were a few weeks ago when we were around 18th in the table.-either way I don't think Paddy Power will be over concerned unless you put thousands on. :wink:

I thought rather bizarrely considering that we were third last season Reading were 7/5 to finish top half at the start of the season and so I lumped £300 on at 7/5. As you say i doubt in truth that PP will be overly worried. :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Dec 2017 18:43

Colin being chahaharged by the F All for his sending off

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Dec 2017 23:08

genome
RoyalBlue

Haha, when Schindler scored his penalty I just immediately grabbed my things and left.

I didn't even once look back to the pitch to see them celebrating.

Was going to post exactly the same.

I actually didn't watch the Moore miss (I heard someone behind me saying Moore's taking it and I just knew, like the feeling after the penalty miss in 95 that the game was up) and I've still never seen a replay of it.

But like you I just got up and walked out without saying anything, perhaps immune to play off disappointment now