The more or less halfway poll

Where will Reading finish?

A miracle of results and automatic promotion (1-2)
1%
Stunning consistency will be achieved and the play offs will be reached (3-6)
2%
Just miss the play offs (7-8)
17%
An entirely non threatening finish in the top half (9-12)
54%
Comfortably bottom half (13-18)
25%
Survive a relegation battle (19-21)
No votes
Disaster awaits, relegation will be ensured (22-24)
No votes

Total votes: 81
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The more or less halfway poll

by maffff » 19 Dec 2017 14:00

As of last game we'd scored more and conceded less than the same point last season, but were about 10 places lower...

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Dec 2017 17:44

Why are people droning on about a left back? We can fill that position. An out and out striker was the issue staring us straight in the face. A Le Fondre/Long style striker, quick and also a predator in the box.....
Mind you I'm wondering if there's much point. If you play well it appears you get either benched or shoved into another position the following game.
If Jaap had been in charge after ALFs brace against Chelsea, I suspect he would have replaced Federici the following week.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 19 Dec 2017 18:14

Torn between 9-12 and 13-18 ( just like in pre-season though I didn't think we'd be lower than 15th), but in the end opted for the former.
Depends on how we do between now and the Stevenage game though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Dec 2017 23:11

Ascotexgunner Why are people droning on about a left back? We can fill that position. An out and out striker was the issue staring us straight in the face. A Le Fondre/Long style striker, quick and also a predator in the box.....
Mind you I'm wondering if there's much point. If you play well it appears you get either benched or shoved into another position the following game.
If Jaap had been in charge after ALFs brace against Chelsea, I suspect he would have replaced Federici the following week.

Right now it's at full back that we're regularly playing arguably our best midfielder. Short of Watson quickly coming back strong, a miraculous Obita recovery, or Richards being given a chance and excelling, we're desperately in need of either a right back or a left back. Of course, that doesn't mean we couldn't still use a good goalscorer who can take over from Kermie and Bodvarsson. But at least we've actually got two fit senior strikers now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Dec 2017 14:55

9-12 seems nailed on for me. We seem to have a good squad which has been injury struck too often. A bit of luck and we might finish a bit further up.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Dec 2017 17:58

Unfortunately the Championship table is most often virtually settled after 23 games.

Taking last season as an example the top 6 remained the same between games 23 and 46 except Leeds - who slipped from 5th to 7th and Fulham who improved from 8th to 6th.

The bottom 3 remained completely unchanged and the only three big movers of more than a few places either way were Birmingham who fell from 11th to 19th, Barnsley who fell from 9th to 14th and Cardiff who improved from 19th to 12th. None of the other 21 teams moved more than 4 places in either direction. In fact 17 of the 24 finished within just 2 positions - as compared to their half way standings.

And so unless we do a 2011/12 (very rare) RFC are likely to finish either lower top half or top of the bottom half. However, a good second half (as with Cardiff last season) often means a good start the following season.

Prediction 10th

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 21 Dec 2017 14:24

Y21
I don't get it. If your system and style isn't working, why not change it? To me, it seems to me that he is determined to play the game his way, even if it is to the detriment of the team. The only time he'll change it to a more direct and attacking way is when we are struggling at the arse end of the table. I think his ego is the biggest threat to our team this season. He needs to be more flexible and perhaps more open to playing the game in different ways.

I think I agree, and its a big worry for me

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Dec 2017 15:10

Maneki Neko
Y21
I don't get it. If your system and style isn't working, why not change it? To me, it seems to me that he is determined to play the game his way, even if it is to the detriment of the team. The only time he'll change it to a more direct and attacking way is when we are struggling at the arse end of the table. I think his ego is the biggest threat to our team this season. He needs to be more flexible and perhaps more open to playing the game in different ways.

I think I agree, and its a big worry for me

I blame Chris Samuelson.

jar95

by jar95 » 21 Dec 2017 15:22

Think the next couple of weeks are massive in relation to where we finish... get 9 + points from the next 4 and play offs should still be the aim / be realistic