Re: In or Out? New poll.

by TiagoIlori » 03 Jan 2018 15:07

Problems lie much deeper than Stam but getting rid of him would be a start

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2018 17:51

The Reverend FFP? Oh ffs

There's no way we should be anywhere near the limit even with last summer's transfer activity. Wages and agents' fees must be out of control. And for waht?

This club is a shambles compared to the Madejski/Hammond era.

Are you fricking kidding me? Our wage bill was huge before we swapped Williams and Al-Habsi for Bacuna, Aluko, Barrow, Edwards and co.

I think the last accounts showed wages were over 100% of revenue. We've been consistently in the top 5-10 payers in the division since we got relegated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2018 18:12

I'm pretty sure Stam is trying to play a fluid and attacking 4-3-3, where the DM drops into defence to allow the full backs to push on.

............CB......DM......CB

..RB...........CM......CM...........LB

..........RF.........................LF
.........................ST

Unfortunately, that's not what's actually happening on the pitch, and it's got to be down to a combination of poor preparation and training, complete loss of confidence, and appalling decision making by the players. It's more like 3-7-0, with half the midfield completely isolated from the other half, most of our talent so close together you could throw a blanket over them. That means the opposition can outnumber our attack on either side of the pitch, and we move the ball around so ponderously and slowly that by the time we've switched it up, they've just trotted 10 yards sideways and outnumbered the other half of our team. Or pushed on to our defence to provoke a mistake whilst the rest of the team stands watching.

..........CB........................CB
......................DM

RB....CM....................CM...LB
RF...................ST................LF

This is all helping to contribute to stupid turnovers, which lets the other team run at our terribly split and out of position defence. Last year it saw us get smashed a few times. But we had better movement and confidence so we could score more, and were more resilient in defence.... shutting up shop quite well. This year, we start most matches at a walk and don't really ever go up a gear until we're behind.

There really isn't anything huge that needs to happen that would see the team capable of competing right at the top of the league. A fit squad, with some confidence, drilled to be assertive and positive, centrebacks sticking together, midfield showing movement and being responsible for dictating play. And another full back and striker wouldn't go amiss.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2018 18:18

Yes, a payoff would fall within FFP.
Hopefully we'd have included an underperformance clause to limit it.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Jan 2018 20:53

Has he gone yet?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2018 21:03

In almost every case I can think of, it takes at least 3 games beyond the point where the fanbase completely turns, often more, before a manager is sacked. I think we had our turning point on Tuesday, although it may turn out it was Burton.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 21:06

Snowflake Royal In almost every case I can think of, it takes at least 3 games beyond the point where the fanbase completely turns, often more, before a manager is sacked. I think we had our turning point on Tuesday, although it may turn out it was Burton.

The fans vocally turned on Rodgers during the 4-1 defeat to QPR - he wasn't sacked for another 8 games :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2018 21:08

genome
Snowflake Royal In almost every case I can think of, it takes at least 3 games beyond the point where the fanbase completely turns, often more, before a manager is sacked. I think we had our turning point on Tuesday, although it may turn out it was Burton.

The fans vocally turned on Rodgers during the 4-1 defeat to QPR - he wasn't sacked for another 8 games :shock:

Yes, I was one of them. That was a oxf*rd shambles and a half.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2018 21:10

Yes, and I shook my head in resignation too

double d

by double d » 03 Jan 2018 21:11

I was thinking the same too. What a shambles. Even if Stam does turn this around into mid table obscurity, the damage has been done with 1 point from a seemingly easy 9

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2018 21:19

quit whilst you’re ahead dd :)

A few wins against the top flight teams will not change our season significantly either.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 03 Jan 2018 22:14

I really don't think the formations are an issue, its the slow side to side and back to the keeper passing that's boring and easy for the opposing team to play against and press us into dangerous situations in our own penalty area. We don't have enough quality in the team to pass our way out of dangerous situations, the fans get on the players backs which results in a lack of confidence.
For a passing style of game to work it has to be played at pace and the players have to be confident to play this way, a bit like Spurs for instance (I suppose it also helps if you have Harry Kane in your squad lol)
Our defense aren't bad they just lack confidence at the moment, and we really need that pacey striker as an outlet up front.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2018 06:16

The defence is bad. We concede every single game, and usually to some ridiculously soft goal

It’s very difficult to win matches when you give the oppo then first goal in every game

double d

by double d » 04 Jan 2018 07:37

I think the 1st goal against Brum was one of the worst I have seen for years watching reading. The OG v Burton gives it a close one but wtaf was the defence doing letting it hit one in the chest whilst he then fell over in the box

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Jan 2018 07:52

As I said on the other thread the defence is the most concerning thing. It's not just the hilariously soft manner in which we concede, its also when. We are usually in control, opposition nowhere close to creating a chance, they get a random innocuous set piece or throw in and 30 seconds later its in the back of our net having sustained absolutely no period of pressure at all. The defense is unorganized, has appalling concentration and is second to the ball every time. The Bullivant defense was oxf*rd, as was Rodgers and Tommy Burns era's but for these reasons above I think these guys are actually the worst defensive unit i've ever seen watching Reading. On paper we have decent players, Its utterly baffling.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2018 08:22

double d I think the 1st goal against Brum was one of the worst I have seen for years watching reading. The OG v Burton gives it a close one but wtaf was the defence doing letting it hit one in the chest whilst he then fell over in the box

You're forgetting McShane giving away a ridiculously soft free kick for no reason at all in a very dangerous position in the first place.

Agree again FineRain on the ^^

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jan 2018 08:48

I agree it is baffling, especially when you consider one of those defenders is arguably our best CB for many years!

double d

by double d » 04 Jan 2018 08:58

As I said before...
My god Wally Downes would have a field day whipping these sorry lot back into shape.

2005/06 (arguably the best we have had). As a unit they always looked forwards. We all knew it was rb and lb to blakey and convey. That happened every time. Never faffed about near the box with it. I remember once that happened where sonko/bikey did a cruyff turn outside the box and you could hear the collective gasps of breath and sigh of relief

Marcus: a big voice. Imposing. A beast. Quick distribution. Did not F about.

Murty: experianced. Cool, calm and collected. Football brain. Knowledgeable. ALWAYS tracked back. Passion. Played his heart out 100%.

Ingi: cool under pressure. Not the quickest but always managed to read the game well. Barely put a foot wrong. Managed to Marshall the back 4 and the wayward tendencies of sonko/bikey

Sonko: a big unit. Imposing centre back. Always won headers. You knew what you got with him
Route one clearance away from the box and no pfucking about. Sure he got it on the roof a few times.

Shorey: great left foot. Had the brain. Knew what to do everytime and had the knowledge of where players where.

We do not have any of the above with this lot. There is no forward play. No brains seem to be involved. No leaders. No passion. No voices. No owning up. No plan (commen sense dictates when you have slow strikers with heading ability you get it to wing then cross it.....).

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 04 Jan 2018 09:32

This whole situation is starting to wind me right up now. I feel like giving Stam, Gourlay, Tevreden and anybody else who needs it a bloody good shake. The laid back approach to everything is mind numbing. This is our football club we're talking about here. There are people joking about us dropping down and being able to play the likes of Fud, Swinedon and the Shite all over again. All this tippy tappy stuff is getting us nowhere. Where's the blood, guts and thunder......and most of all passion? We're turning up to games like a load of sheep expecting the same old dross. Seriously this ain't funny anymore.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 10:18

The Cap This whole situation is starting to wind me right up now. I feel like giving Stam, Gourlay, Tevreden and anybody else who needs it a bloody good shake. The laid back approach to everything is mind numbing. This is our football club we're talking about here. There are people joking about us dropping down and being able to play the likes of Fud, Swinedon and the Shite all over again. All this tippy tappy stuff is getting us nowhere. Where's the blood, guts and thunder......and most of all passion? We're turning up to games like a load of sheep expecting the same old dross. Seriously this ain't funny anymore.

On Tuesday, Gunter, Moore, Kermorgant and Barrow looked like the game mattered to them. Both Gunter and Moore walked all the way up and down the East Stand applauding the supporters. They know what's being served up isn't good enough, and we have a right to expect more. They didn't flounce off the pitch in a huff because of booing.

The rest, not so much. Aluko is annoying me more than any Reading player since Piazon.

Serious amount of heads being banged together required.

We need a proper replacement for Steven Reid. I'm sure Gilkesy is fine as a coach - but is he a strong enough character to challenge Stam? Or challenge the players? An experienced assistant manager would help I think.

423 posts