11%
Ian Royal - all RFC fans are idiots
4%

Total votes: 247
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by Hound » 04 Jan 2018 10:43

muirinho On Tuesday, Gunter, Moore, Kermorgant and Barrow looked like the game mattered to them. Both Gunter and Moore walked all the way up and down the East Stand applauding the supporters. They know what's being served up isn't good enough, and we have a right to expect more. They didn't flounce off the pitch in a huff because of booing.

The rest, not so much. Aluko is annoying me more than any Reading player since Piazon.

Serious amount of heads being banged together required.

+1 on Aluko. My first comment on the game was that I would happily never see him in a Reading shirt again. Can't say that emotion has changed. Lazy, lack of positional discipline and genuinely looks like he can't be arsed.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jan 2018 13:07

I was gobsmacked we signed him in the 1st place - he was clearly Fulham’s weak link against us in the play offs and we didn’t need another bloody winger!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Jan 2018 13:35

AthleticoSpizz Yes, and I shook my head in resignation too

Yep, this was the final nail in that particular managerial coffin.

:wink: Happy New Year :P

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2018 13:38

Royal Rother I was gobsmacked we signed him in the 1st place - he was clearly Fulham’s weak link against us in the play offs and we didn’t need another bloody winger!

I do at least remember him doing things like trying and running though.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 04 Jan 2018 13:50

If ever there was a need for 1/2 new striker(s) its now.

We're sooo timid up front, and I am sure that we would be nowhere near our current position, if we'd invested in this area in August. Its not like we dont create - we do - albeit in a mind numbing style, but when we cant bury those chances - or a have striker creating those opportunities himself , - what do we expect?

We wont score. We cant win.

An absolute shambles by the Club management - A new Manager wont alter this fact.

Stam in - with two new Strikers.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Jan 2018 16:27

El Diablo If ever there was a need for 1/2 new striker(s) its now.

We're sooo timid up front, and I am sure that we would be nowhere near our current position, if we'd invested in this area in August. Its not like we dont create - we do - albeit in a mind numbing style, but when we cant bury those chances - or a have striker creating those opportunities himself , - what do we expect?

We wont score. We cant win.

An absolute shambles by the Club management - A new Manager wont alter this fact.

Stam in - with two new Strikers.

If you gave the Dutchman 20 million and said, "There, you are go and buy us two new strikers" hed come back with 2 new wingers.
Personally I wouldn't give him another penny. We don't have much money, and the money we did have has been wasted.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2018 16:59

I have voted undecided.

On the one hand I loathe this awful boring football. In fact I decided after the Brum shambles that I will not attend again until either a/ Stam has gone or b/ he manages to adapt the passing style into an effective and attractive one. I simply cannot put myself through another performance like Tuesday night - although I have to say it was a much better performance than the one against Burton (which was in my view by far the most epically awful performance I have ever seen by a RFC side - whereas the Brum game was by comparison just very poor).

However, I can see that we have to develop a passing style if we do ever get promoted again as kick and rush does not work at PL level. But the danger now is that we risk a visit to League 1 before getting to the PL again.

To be honest this season is a write off and so if the owners buy any players in January they are bonkers IMO. Their only options are to sack Stam or to continue to back him and hope that he can turn this round. But now the latter risks that a/ many like me will just stop coming and b/ that we are relegated. If we survive next season could be entirely different like Bristol City this year compared to last. .

I don't envy our Chinese overlords in making this decision.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2018 17:37

It's really no surprise thatour defence is a shambles, when the full backs are instructed to spend most of their time over the half way line, and still be expected to get back and defend, the centrebacks are instructed to spend most of the game 20-50 yards apart, the central midfield and wide forwards spend most of the game standing still and we play the entire game at a walking pace, giving the ball away cheaply in dangerous situations.

That Burton goal from the throw in was an absolute travesty. How such a shit throw could go across virtually the entire box without someone intercepting it, and then someone beat their marker to get on the end of it is beyond me. There are kids teams who cope better than that.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Jan 2018 22:43

Wow... When I made my post a couple of pages back the slide was 42% --> 27%

It's now 23%

I don't remember ever wanting a manager out except for Taxi. I wonder if our satisfaction levels are lower now than they were for Taxi, Brenda, Clarke, Burns, Adkins etc..?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Jan 2018 23:02

Snowflake Royal It's really no surprise thatour defence is a shambles, when the full backs are instructed to spend most of their time over the half way line, and still be expected to get back and defend, the centrebacks are instructed to spend most of the game 20-50 yards apart, the central midfield and wide forwards spend most of the game standing still and we play the entire game at a walking pace, giving the ball away cheaply in dangerous situations.

That Burton goal from the throw in was an absolute travesty. How such a shit throw could go across virtually the entire box without someone intercepting it, and then someone beat their marker to get on the end of it is beyond me. There are kids teams who cope better than that.

While everyone bangs on about the lack of goals, if anything, the inability to defend is even worse. If you don't score you can't win but if you don't concede you can't lose. Pardew's first few games in charge were every bit as tedious but he was setting about stopping the rot by getting lots of draws.

Most decent teams are built from the back but, as you suggest, ours is currently a complete disaster area in this respect. Losing the ball in the opposition's half doesn't need to be a disaster but if all four defenders are in different postcodes, you tend to get what you deserve :|

Unless anyone believes the players have conspired to produce this strategy, there's only one person to blame and, given he' s had a season and half in which he should, at the very least, have sorted the basics, any solution has to start with removing Stam.

If the mighty Gers are happy to put Murts in charge for the rest of the season, I'm damn sure we can find someone to do the same for us.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Jan 2018 08:07

I suspect the polling would be even lower now. A new one post Stevenage would be interesting - especially if we win. It might turn a few, might not.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2018 08:44

Snowflake Royal It's really no surprise thatour defence is a shambles, when the full backs are instructed to spend most of their time over the half way line, and still be expected to get back and defend, the centrebacks are instructed to spend most of the game 20-50 yards apart, the central midfield and wide forwards spend most of the game standing still and we play the entire game at a walking pace, giving the ball away cheaply in dangerous situations.

This is the most frustrating part of the current Reading side - movement off the ball is awful. It makes us so easy to defend against. It was a problem last year when we lacked any real pace out wide, but now we've got Barrow and Aluko, and it's still a problem - which leads me to believe Stam is doing this intentionally... which is baffling

Clement, to his credit, made some good forward runs on Tuesday.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jan 2018 08:46

I don’t really subscribe to the “our defenders are shite” view.

They are perfectly decent defenders but their brains have been fcuked up by bullshit coaches trying to turn them into Franz Freakin’ Beckenbauer.

As a result of this going on day after day they no longer see the obvious or do the obvious.

I suppose it took Mark McGhee a year + to change a bunch of plodders into a slick pass and move team so maybe we just need to be patient and it’ll all click into place next week....

:? :? :? :?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2018 08:48

I still maintain that when you have little to no attacking threat or pressure, it pushes your defenders into making silly mistakes.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Jan 2018 08:49

Royal Rother I don’t really subscribe to the “our defenders are shite” view.

They are perfectly decent defenders but their brains have been fcuked up by bullshit coaches trying to turn them into Franz Freakin’ Beckenbauer.

As a result of this going on day after day they no longer see the obvious or do the obvious.

I suppose it took Mark McGhee a year + to change a bunch of plodders into a slick pass and move team so maybe we just need to be patient and it’ll all click into place next week....

:? :? :? :?

Even Blackett?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 05 Jan 2018 09:09

genome I still maintain that when you have little to no attacking threat or pressure, it pushes your defenders into making silly mistakes.

It does, but teams are scoring after having absolutely zero pressure on us. It's not as if we are going forward, losing the ball and then being left under siege. Both Burton and Birmingham scored their first goals out of absolutely nowhere and both were set pieces. That is 100% on the defence for being utterly useless. There are countless goals like that under Stams reign. Innocuous game, not much going on, we start to take control, the other team ventures into our half and randomly scores out of nowhere and its game over.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2018 09:17

FiNeRaIn
genome I still maintain that when you have little to no attacking threat or pressure, it pushes your defenders into making silly mistakes.

It does, but teams are scoring after having absolutely zero pressure on us. It's not as if we are going forward, losing the ball and then being left under siege. Both Burton and Birmingham scored their first goals out of absolutely nowhere and both were set pieces. That is 100% on the defence for being utterly useless. There are countless goals like that under Stams reign. Innocuous game, not much going on, we start to take control, the other team ventures into our half and randomly scores out of nowhere and its game over.

Exactly that. We aren't a terrible side who are constantly being put under pressure from the oppo. The majority of play is in our possession round about the half way line. Most games the oppo has about 3 or 4 shots on target against us.

countless games this season - Hull, Boro, Norwich, Burton, Birmingham to name some off the top of my head, its happened exactly as described there. The team seems to be fully aware we are going to drop a bollok and concede at some point, which is partly why i think we are so tentative. They then also know our record at coming back from a goal down is rubbish.

Last season at home esp this just didn't happen. We'd plod along, safe in the knowledge we'd not concede, until we snapped up a chance of our own and went from there. There was no panic if we didn't score early, as we inevitably did at some point. And if we didn't, we'd take the 0-0 and the point and move on to the next game.

Its interesting that someone bumped up the QPR game - as that was literally the only time last year that the pattern of this season actually happened. The only game i can think that came close was Rotherham where we ended up winning
Last edited by Hound on 05 Jan 2018 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jan 2018 09:20

Hound
FiNeRaIn

Exactly that. We aren't a terrible side who are constantly being put under pressure from the oppo. The majority of play is in our possession round about the half way line. Most games the oppo has about 3 or 4 shots on target against us.

countless games this season - Hull, Boro, Norwich, Burton, Birmingham to name some off the top of my head, its happened exactly as described there. The team seems to be fully aware we are going to drop a bollok and concede at some point, which is partly why i think we are so tentative. They then also know our record at coming back from a goal down is rubbish.

That was my point really. If the strikers/wingers are not moving around and making runs trying to stretch the opposition, we don't put any pressure on them, which means we fanny around with the ball in our own half and that leads to defensive mistakes (see Fulham at home)

If we were able to maintain our possession higher up the pitch, I'd wager we wouldn't make half as many defensive errors. Set-pieces are a different problem, though.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Jan 2018 09:24

If ever there was a need for 1/2 new striker its now.

oxf*rd that, lets get a whole one

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Jan 2018 09:31

Royal Rother I don’t really subscribe to the “our defenders are shite” view.

Doesn't explain at least half the goals we're conceding - Bolton, Burton, Barnsley were just rank bad defending.

The away game at Derby showed what CAN be achieved by this squad.

423 posts