Ian Royal - all RFC fans are idiots
4%

Total votes: 247
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by Hound » 06 Jan 2018 21:19

double d
Hound Agree. Think this McShane thing will have ramifications for Stam. I’m not sure it shows he has ‘lost’ the dressing room but is an insight into the morale and mentality of the players

I don’t think Gourlay or Tevreden are fools personally. They will see what is going on, and unfortunately a lot is down to the manager

I genuinely think the club makes a big effort to try to entice fans and be fan friendly. Having the manager whinge at minimal provacation at home, now this, really don’t help their cause

No to Mark Hughes though

Why no to Hughes. I would take him at the moment.

Would just be a panic appointment as he is available now. Doesn’t know the division or the players, and doesn’t have a great record of turning things round when at the bottom (ie QPR and just recently)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Jan 2018 23:56

Platypuss
Royal Rother I don’t really subscribe to the “our defenders are shite” view.

They are perfectly decent defenders but their brains have been fcuked up by bullshit coaches trying to turn them into Franz Freakin’ Beckenbauer.

As a result of this going on day after day they no longer see the obvious or do the obvious.

Doesn't explain at least half the goals we're conceding - Bolton, Burton, Barnsley were just rank bad defending.

The away game at Derby showed what CAN be achieved by this squad.

Amen

Perhaps the most frustrating part of a very frustrating season is Stam not sticking with the team and formation that played so well against Derby

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 09 Jan 2018 05:28

I think what we're all forgetting is that if we had beaten Burton, Bristol City, Barnsley, Birmingham and Stevenage, we'd all be up Stam's arsehole right now.

double d

by double d » 09 Jan 2018 05:37

Lee Johnson: From record losing streaks to Carabao Cup semi-finals - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42580152

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2018 06:53

double d Lee Johnson: From record losing streaks to Carabao Cup semi-finals - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42580152

Lee Johnson keeps coming up as a reason to keep Stam. Considered it myself earlier

I didn’t follow Bristol closely last year so not sure if the situations are similar

However there are plenty of examples of changing managers bringing in success. Only need to look at ourselves last year - McD sacked somewhat harshly and the new man taking us to 3rd

Obv we can only judge by what we see on the pitch but there is very little sign that Stam is taking us forward

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Jan 2018 16:48

I met with some friends earlier that all support RFC and attend matches regularly and feel the same as I do that it is not results that bother us but the awful boring football. I have attended many RFC matches over the years where the players have given their all and yet we have lost and yet I have applauded loudly at their efforts. I remember when we lost to Man U 2-0 at home in the PL years and the players put in an amazing shift and were very unlucky - finally being undone by a late goal after we had been all over Man U for a long time looking for an equaliser. I left the ground feeling good despite the defeat because I could have asked for no more.

Whereas in recent matches I have left feeling bored, angry and frustrated by the end. All my friends said that they would no longer attend matches until Stam has gone now - or he changes the style successfully. We have all had enough. It is not the losing but the fact that Stam only has plan A. There seems to be no ability to change the way we play a game - even when losing 2-0 as with the Birmingham game. To be effective in the Championship you need a Plan B and a Plan C and probably a Plan D for when things are going wrong.

Having said this I do feel that Stam/the team have been unlucky this season - particularly with injuries whereas last year Stam was deemed a "lucky manager". I left many games last season thinking how on earth did we win that. But even many of those games were boring too.

I am sure a passing game can be attractive but Stam seems to have no ability to inspire the players to play such attractive football.

We have all has enough now.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 09 Jan 2018 16:53

I am not a big Stam fan and think the club is in a poor situation, but my only question is who else would we bring in as cant see many managers wanting to take this on right now

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Jan 2018 16:54

bcubed Perhaps the most frustrating part of a very frustrating season is Stam not sticking with the team and formation that played so well against Derby

Derby started the game poorly. While Reading played well. The defensive frailities were all too apparent.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Jan 2018 17:00

Rea Ding I am not a big Stam fan and think the club is in a poor situation, but my only question is who else would we bring in as cant see many managers wanting to take this on right now

Earlier the feeling was to give it to Gilkes until the end of the season and see where we are then. The season is a right off anyway and he is a Reading favourite and someone the fans would rally round. The only objective left now will be to avoid relegation.

Then in the summer if Gilkes has not cut it perhaps Murty (if he is let go by Rangers) or Parky? Let's get back to the old Reading.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2018 17:02

I don’t know why Lee Johnson is being mentioned. So what if he has turned things around. It doesn’t mean Stam will.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 09 Jan 2018 17:04

andrew1957
Rea Ding I am not a big Stam fan and think the club is in a poor situation, but my only question is who else would we bring in as cant see many managers wanting to take this on right now

Earlier the feeling was to give it to Gilkes until the end of the season and see where we are then. The season is a right off anyway and he is a Reading favourite and someone the fans would rally round. The only objective left now will be to avoid relegation.

Then in the summer if Gilkes has not cut it perhaps Murty (if he is let go by Rangers) or Parky? Let's get back to the old Reading.

I actually think you are onto a good idea here, sadly dont think the current board/owners care or even know some of the Reading legends of the past

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2018 17:34

Zip I don’t know why Lee Johnson is being mentioned. So what if he has turned things around. It doesn’t mean Stam will.

And our current poor state doesn't mean Stam won't.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2018 17:40

Stam is too stubborn to change. I expect more of the same in upcoming weeks

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Jan 2018 18:01

Dr_Hfuhruhurr I think what we're all forgetting is that if we had beaten Burton, Bristol City, Barnsley, Birmingham and Stevenage, we'd all be up Stam's arsehole right now.

:lol: :lol: - meta

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Jan 2018 20:29

Lower West
bcubed Perhaps the most frustrating part of a very frustrating season is Stam not sticking with the team and formation that played so well against Derby

Derby started the game poorly. While Reading played well. The defensive frailities were all too apparent.

They really weren't

The frailties being apparent that is

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 09 Jan 2018 21:29

In - on the basis it throws the whole club into more chaos if he goes.

Season is a write off so the only reason to replace now is if WE ARE IN VERY SERIOUS DANGER OF GOING DOWN. I don't think that will happen

Of much more concern is does Stam "learn and adapt" ? The best Managers/Leaders in football or business - learn from their mistakes, rounds out their skillsets and use the wisdom of different experiences to fall back on when needed.

If Stam shows no inclination to learn and evolve - we have a dud and he needs to go

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 10 Jan 2018 01:53

fred sharpes nose In - on the basis it throws the whole club into more chaos if he goes.

Season is a write off so the only reason to replace now is if WE ARE IN VERY SERIOUS DANGER OF GOING DOWN. I don't think that will happen

Of much more concern is does Stam "learn and adapt" ? The best Managers/Leaders in football or business - learn from their mistakes, rounds out their skillsets and use the wisdom of different experiences to fall back on when needed.

If Stam shows no inclination to learn and evolve - we have a dud and he needs to go

I agree with this, give him until the end of the season unless we slip into an actual relo fight. If Stam looks like he wont change then he should go but if he shows he can improve and adapt then we should keep him as better then anyone else they would bring in imo

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 10 Jan 2018 07:53

The way we are playing in the past 2 months, is there 3 teams playing worse than we are?
Football fans are very fickle, so if Stam turns it around all will be forgotten. I am still very in the 'I dont know' camp. He has the potential to be a very good manager but I think he needs to show the players and fans his potential. Mix up tactics, play to our strengths and figure teams out before the games started. It feels like we go out at games with the same game plan - hold on to possession at all costs. I dont feel like Jaap points out the oppo weakness and sets up to expose it. He looks at the oppos strengths and sets up to nullify it.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 10 Jan 2018 08:47

Voted undecided as I think we're probably going down anyway but maybe OUT if we lose to Stevenage...

andrew1957

I do have to wonder what influence Gilkes is having atm, so i'm not sure he would necessary be the best option. Given the stuff that was mentioned in The Secret Footballer book I doubt Murty would be welcome back here, though maybe with different owners things would be different. I do find it interesting that he was never given a job in the academy after he retired. If we go down Parky would probably be the best option, great track record of winning promotion in the lower leagues and obviously the Reading connection.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jan 2018 09:03

KC Royal Voted undecided as I think we're probably going down anyway but maybe OUT if we lose to Stevenage...

andrew1957

I do have to wonder what influence Gilkes is having atm, so i'm not sure he would necessary be the best option. Given the stuff that was mentioned in The Secret Footballer book I doubt Murty would be welcome back here, though maybe with different owners things would be different. I do find it interesting that he was never given a job in the academy after he retired. If we go down Parky would probably be the best option, great track record of winning promotion in the lower leagues and obviously the Reading connection.

I also would question Gilkesy's influence and experience right now - we're definitely in a worse place then we were when Steven Reid is here. You can blame Stam, but if he's not strong enough to challenge and override Stam where appropriate, or challenge the current squad, he wouldn't be strong enough to manage the club either. You might as well give it to one of the players!

As regards Murty - how do we know he wasn't offered one and turned it down?

423 posts