11%
Ian Royal - all RFC fans are idiots
4%

Total votes: 247
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jan 2018 08:51

I like what Stan is trying to do, he's just not doing it very well. Something needs to change and unfortunately the only viable option is the manager.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 Jan 2018 08:57

Twitter saying he is in 'negotiation' for a termination fee.
Unreliable source though.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 21 Jan 2018 09:04

West Stand Man wrote:
Twitter saying he is in 'negotiation' for a termination fee.

He should be paying us a fee to go!!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Jan 2018 09:18

it's the hope that kills you

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2018 10:31

I think that is just based on that crappy source on talk reading

How about Marco Silva in? 8)

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 21 Jan 2018 10:54

Under normal circumstances he would either have walked or been sacked but with our owners doubtful footballing acumen it's far from certain that he'll go. Ought really to be a dead man walking but I suspect with his astounding levels of arrogance and deluded self belief he's too blinkered to see the shambles that he has created.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Jan 2018 11:34

leon
2 world wars, 1 world cup I was IN.

Then I was OUT.

Now I'm IN again because Stam confirmed post match today (Brentford loss) that he doesn't actually want to play the style we see. He tells them to play it forwards but the players just don't do what he's asking. It's not his fault it's the players'. It's not his job to manage the team, he's just there to, um, do post match interviews, have a Dutch accent, blow the transfer budget on players we don't need and be a generally nice guy. And he does those things really, REALLY well.

Stam IN.

It was quite a stunning interview. There’s nothing like accepting no responsibility whatsoever is there?

Partridge shrug and a ”fcuk knows why they’re playing like that, I want them to get the ball forward quickly and play expansive attacking football”

Out.

Exactly.

Whilst I respect the opinions of "let him stay, we change managers too soon, let's get someone like Mad Dog in to give them a boot up the backside etc etc etc..." those are no longer viable options to me based on this interview. This interview basically was him saying "I have no control over these lads at all anymore, someone save me please, I'm drowning", in which case we may as well just get my mother in law to go in and tell them what to do. At least there's a chance they'll listen to her if only because it's a new face.

Anyone with half a brain cell who blames this *solely* on player confidence must ask why do they have no confidence? They have no confidence because it's been ripped out of them by a man who arrogantly forced them to play a system that didn't suit them or the division... or indeed the game. So they lost confidence in themselves as footballers and now also lost confidence in the man who's suddenly (finally) decided to change his mind, albeit far too late and with no conviction: he's only done so in desperation when it's absolutely clear that either the system changes or he goes. They know he's full of shit. Of course they have no confidence in themselves or in him. And he's the reason for both. Yeah some amazing coach might come in and boost their confidence a bit and we'll avoid relegation, but the team will then be doing ok despite Stam not because of him.

I didn't want Brendan to ever come here but I supported him when he was here because I don't like manager change and I could see what he was trying to do and was one of about three of us who stuck our necks out on here to keep him here. This is different. I can't stand this any longer. One lucky season of playing shit football with a shit goal difference, somehow landing far higher than we should have before our one plan system was easily found out by *everyone* does not mean he gets a free pass to continue being clueless. His honeymoon, luck and mono-plan system fooled the table for one season, but those have all now evaporated as we were found out months ago.

Adios, Stam before we play league one football.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2018 12:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup
leon
2 world wars, 1 world cup I was IN.

Then I was OUT.

Now I'm IN again because Stam confirmed post match today (Brentford loss) that he doesn't actually want to play the style we see. He tells them to play it forwards but the players just don't do what he's asking. It's not his fault it's the players'. It's not his job to manage the team, he's just there to, um, do post match interviews, have a Dutch accent, blow the transfer budget on players we don't need and be a generally nice guy. And he does those things really, REALLY well.

Stam IN.

It was quite a stunning interview. There’s nothing like accepting no responsibility whatsoever is there?

Partridge shrug and a ”fcuk knows why they’re playing like that, I want them to get the ball forward quickly and play expansive attacking football”

Out.

Exactly.

Whilst I respect the opinions of "let him stay, we change managers too soon, let's get someone like Mad Dog in to give them a boot up the backside etc etc etc..." those are no longer viable options to me based on this interview. This interview basically was him saying "I have no control over these lads at all anymore, someone save me please, I'm drowning", in which case we may as well just get my mother in law to go in and tell them what to do. At least there's a chance they'll listen to her if only because it's a new face.

Anyone with half a brain cell who blames this *solely* on player confidence must ask why do they have no confidence? They have no confidence because it's been ripped out of them by a man who arrogantly forced them to play a system that didn't suit them or the division... or indeed the game. So they lost confidence in themselves as footballers and now also lost confidence in the man who's suddenly (finally) decided to change his mind, albeit far too late and with no conviction: he's only done so in desperation when it's absolutely clear that either the system changes or he goes. They know he's full of shit. Of course they have no confidence in themselves or in him. And he's the reason for both. Yeah some amazing coach might come in and boost their confidence a bit and we'll avoid relegation, but the team will then be doing ok despite Stam not because of him.

I didn't want Brendan to ever come here but I supported him when he was here because I don't like manager change and I could see what he was trying to do and was one of about three of us who stuck our necks out on here to keep him here. This is different. I can't stand this any longer. One lucky season of playing shit football with a shit goal difference, somehow landing far higher than we should have before our one plan system was easily found out by *everyone* does not mean he gets a free pass to continue being clueless. His honeymoon, luck and mono-plan system fooled the table for one season, but those have all now evaporated as we were found out months ago.

Adios, Stam before we play league one football.

They've got no confidence not because they were told to play a poor system or because they were told to play a system they were incapable of, but because an experienced manager used to the best players failed to direct them properly on how to play it. It went poorly, results were bad as a result and that destroyed them.

Now this is clearly just my view, it's not well evidenced. But I think Stam fundamentally failed in two areas.
1) He had too much trust in the players' ability to understand what he wanted and how to implement it on the pitch
2) Focused training on passing and retaining possession so that it became the ultimate objective rather than the tool with which you achieve the goal of winning and scoring.

A passing game is harder to get right. It'll take you further if you crack it. But if things go wrong it's much easier for it to take you nowhere.

At least if you play hoofball or kick and rush badly you're still trying to go forward and you'll get some lucky breaks. You can't get the breaks if your playing keepball badly by slowly knocking it between your CBs.

That doesn't invalidate the system. It just means you've got to be extra careful to focus on the purpose and to relax the chains when it's going wrong.

Stam will probably prove to be a successful manager elsewhere through his experience here.

Berry

by Berry » 21 Jan 2018 12:14

Yesterday summed it all up for me, We are playing at L1 level, Stam has successfully implemented a state of confusion in the players, they dont trust in his beliefs but do it to toe the line....So as a leader Stam is that but Hitler was also a leader and his beliefs were also completly wrong...The club as a whole is a mess, falling attendances, academy staff leaving, getting dragged into relegation...When did everything start to change for the worse?? The appointment of Ron Gourlay

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2018 13:12

Berry Yesterday summed it all up for me, We are playing at L1 level, Stam has successfully implemented a state of confusion in the players, they dont trust in his beliefs but do it to toe the line....So as a leader Stam is that but Hitler was also a leader and his beliefs were also completly wrong...The club as a whole is a mess, falling attendances, academy staff leaving, getting dragged into relegation...When did everything start to change for the worse?? The appointment of Ron Gourlay

It started the summer after our first season in the Prenier League.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jan 2018 13:35

West Stand Man Twitter saying he is in 'negotiation' for a termination fee.

If that s true......which I doubt as it's Twitter, he will be gone tomorrow. It shouldnt take too long to negotiate?

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Jan 2018 13:37

I wouldn't shed any tears if Stam went, but what worries me is who we would bring in. If Tevreden gets his way, it will be more of the same.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Jan 2018 13:39

Ascotexgunner
West Stand Man Twitter saying he is in 'negotiation' for a termination fee.

If that s true......which I doubt as it's Twitter, he will be gone tomorrow. It shouldnt take too long to negotiate?

You wouldn't think so but then again it shouldn't take too long to pass the ball into the opposition half but he seems to make sure that takes a fcuking lifetime.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Jan 2018 13:41

It's very clear now that the majority of fans who actually watch the team week in week out want a change of management. I'm convinced it's only the fact he is " Japp Stam" he's still here , any other manager with his woeful performance would have been gone long ago. If he's not going to go after the debacle of Burton and Birmingham he's never going to go.

However, these is one definite way of him going , and that's bums own seats or rather lack of them. Falling attendances are the only way owners sit up and worry , and our attendances our plummeting and will continue to do so in the current dire times.

I'm a hypocrite for going yesterday but where as I'd normally go to every game , I didn't go to Stevenage and now for the first time in many years am not bothered about going . I go through loyalty and devotion but I'm sure many like me are seriously questioning that loyalty this season. Next years season ticket sales will be very interesting.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jan 2018 13:44

(Ian)

...and yet (despite the implosion of 2008) we have had a few high points since then.

Time to accept that we as a club are at our level (sadly, and imho we will never be a long term fixture of the Prem....that being despite the business and technical models of the likes of Burnley, Stoke and even Bournemouth who have made a reasonable go of it).

We’ve just got to maintain “that level” (and grab that occasional day in the sun).....obviously.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 21 Jan 2018 14:27

Has he gone yet?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Jan 2018 14:30

tee peg Has he gone yet?

No. goodbye.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2018 14:30

AthleticoSpizz (Ian)

...and yet (despite the implosion of 2008) we have had a few high points since then.

Time to accept that we as a club are at our level (sadly, and imho we will never be a long term fixture of the Prem....that being despite the business and technical models of the likes of Burnley, Stoke and even Bournemouth who have made a reasonable go of it).

We’ve just got to maintain “that level” (and grab that occasional day in the sun).....obviously.

I agree we've had high points. It's certainly not been (and still isn't) all bad. It's not irretrievable.

I reject the idea this is our level and we should settle for it. We certainly shouldn't expect better as a default, but it's not impossible to get our shit together and grow further.

Are we likely to ever compete with the top 6 in the country for anything but a real one off? Almost certainly not. But there's no reason to think we can't have a better time in the sun than we've had, along the lines of a Wigan, a Stoke, a Swansea.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Jan 2018 15:28

AthleticoSpizz (Ian)

I wouldn't want to work for a business with someone like you as my CEO ... sorry that's just defeatist.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jan 2018 16:26

Gunny Fishcake It's very clear now that the majority of fans who actually watch the team week in week out want a change of management. I'm convinced it's only the fact he is " Japp Stam" he's still here , any other manager with his woeful performance would have been gone long ago. If he's not going to go after the debacle of Burton and Birmingham he's never going to go.

However, these is one definite way of him going , and that's bums own seats or rather lack of them. Falling attendances are the only way owners sit up and worry , and our attendances our plummeting and will continue to do so in the current dire times.

I'm a hypocrite for going yesterday but where as I'd normally go to every game , I didn't go to Stevenage and now for the first time in many years am not bothered about going . I go through loyalty and devotion but I'm sure many like me are seriously questioning that loyalty this season. Next years season ticket sales will be very interesting.

Of course it is. It's his name. Would West Ham have been interested in him last season if it was say, Alex Neil or Dean Smith? Especially as we weren't even convincingly third with a poor away record and goal difference and the fact as we lost half as many games as we won.

The thing that gets me is what kind of f*cking idiot gives someone who's never managed a club before such a big contract? If it's as big as some on here are saying he must be one of the highest paid managers in the EFL.

423 posts