Look on the bright side

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5096
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Look on the bright side

by CountryRoyal » 31 Dec 2017 02:29

Had we got promoted there is a strong probability that our style of play would have seen us beaten Derby's record as the worst ever PL team.

BKnumber6
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Aug 2017 17:24

Re: Look on the bright side

by BKnumber6 » 08 Feb 2018 15:04

I was actually secretly hoping that if we had won the Premier League would find a reason to stop us going up due to the take over. Let's face it, we were shit last season but just had a bit more resilience and fight about us. I can't remember the amount of games that I left thinking how the hell have we won that?

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: Look on the bright side

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Feb 2018 21:00

CountryRoyal wrote:Had we got promoted there is a strong probability that our style of play would have seen us beaten Derby's record as the worst ever PL team.


How do you know who we would have bought last summer? There are so many unknown factors to consider.

User avatar
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 7033
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 17:44
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Look on the bright side

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Feb 2018 22:57

Old Man Andrews wrote:
CountryRoyal wrote:Had we got promoted there is a strong probability that our style of play would have seen us beaten Derby's record as the worst ever PL team.


How do you know who we would have bought last summer? There are so many unknown factors to consider.


We typically don't bother investing when we win promotion which is why we always get relegated.

muirinho
Member
Posts: 749
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: Look on the bright side

by muirinho » 08 Feb 2018 23:48

FiNeRaIn wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
CountryRoyal wrote:Had we got promoted there is a strong probability that our style of play would have seen us beaten Derby's record as the worst ever PL team.


How do you know who we would have bought last summer? There are so many unknown factors to consider.


We typically don't bother investing when we win promotion which is why we always get relegated.


???

We've had precisely two promotions to the Premier League. It's not exactly a big sample! And none under the current ownership.

If we always get relegated when we get promoted, wouldn't we be in League 2 right now?


User avatar
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 7033
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 17:44
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Look on the bright side

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Feb 2018 00:07

Both times we got to the prem we invested way short of what was required and swiftly found ourselves back in the championship. Based on how poor our summer recruitment was I see no evidence that would have been different in the prem. We can’t even identify the right areas to improve never mind actually filling them. We’d have been stuffed every week.

User avatar
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3011
Joined: 15 Jun 2012 15:24

Re: Look on the bright side

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Feb 2018 00:39

FiNeRaIn wrote:Both times we got to the prem we invested way short of what was required and swiftly found ourselves back in the championship. Based on how poor our summer recruitment was I see no evidence that would have been different in the prem. We can’t even identify the right areas to improve never mind actually filling them. We’d have been stuffed every week.

How can that even apply to our first Premier League season? We were so good we didn't need to strengthen much to adapt. The problem is we rested on our laurels + lost Sidwell then you can accuse the club of not investing properly the following season.

User avatar
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 7033
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 17:44
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Look on the bright side

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Feb 2018 01:22

When we went up the first year people were moaning all summer about lack of investment. It worked out that we played above ourselves and finished 8th but it was a risk that paid off, probably not a sensible one either. The second season as you say was even worse because we lost Sidwell and that was that. Its just frustrating when you look at other teams who went up with good squads, invested to get better and stayed there. We had two chances to do that and we did absolutely nothing. What could have been.

Denver Royal
Member
Posts: 590
Joined: 02 Jun 2004 10:58
Location: Between Emmer Green duck pond and The White Horse

Re: Look on the bright side

by Denver Royal » 09 Feb 2018 03:17

CountryRoyal wrote:Had we got promoted there is a strong probability that our style of play would have seen us beaten Derby's record as the worst ever PL team.


Strong possibility? I doubt it. But we will never know, so it means jack. Its not a given that we'd play exactly the same way or that we'd keep the same manager all season. I doubt Derby are currently losing much sleep over their record, either.

But ok, lets spin a negative. We could come straight back down, with zero points, zero goals for, and with the same manager...and I'd still be ok with it. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with it. And I wouldn't much care what other fans said or what records were broken. Id take the parachute money and run, and continue to build the club from there.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Feb 2018 15:47, edited 2 times in total.


alfie9
Member
Posts: 230
Joined: 06 Aug 2016 00:01

Re: Look on the bright side

by alfie9 » 09 Feb 2018 03:20

We would've kept Ali and Williams. We would've attracted better players and spent more. I think it's a bit ridiculous to assume we'd automatically be the whipping boys of the Prem.

Royal_jimmy
Member
Posts: 890
Joined: 10 Aug 2011 10:44
Location: Y26

Re: Look on the bright side

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Feb 2018 08:33

The truth is we will never know what would have happened had we got promoted but considering we rode our luck in a lot of games, it'd have required a lot of investment and shrewd signings, the chances are that we'd come straight back down. We'd have signed better quality players and kept Al Habsi and Williams for sure so who knows.

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6022
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Look on the bright side

by Sutekh » 09 Feb 2018 10:15

tidus_mi2 wrote:
FiNeRaIn wrote:Both times we got to the prem we invested way short of what was required and swiftly found ourselves back in the championship. Based on how poor our summer recruitment was I see no evidence that would have been different in the prem. We can’t even identify the right areas to improve never mind actually filling them. We’d have been stuffed every week.

How can that even apply to our first Premier League season? We were so good we didn't need to strengthen much to adapt. The problem is we rested on our laurels + lost Sidwell then you can accuse the club of not investing properly the following season.


First PL relegation was the fault Sir Steve failing to invest properly in a replacement for Sidwell despite knowing for the whole of the season before that he would be leaving and then failing yet again in January by not strengthening where required and spending what little there was on a player playing in France Division 3 and a Czech luxury. Whether any of that was down to JM wanting to keep it cheap is unknown.

The second time was the fact the JM had sold to a Russian with next to no money and what money there was seemed to be splaffed on you know who while Brian was left with scrapings for 2/3 decent Championship quality players..

All comes down to no investment when needed. Desperate now for Reading to get back there and finally see if proper investment to that level will be made. Looks like it's going to be quite a long wait though.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 17277
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Look on the bright side

by genome » 09 Feb 2018 10:22

FiNeRaIn wrote:Both times we got to the prem we invested way short of what was required and swiftly found ourselves back in the championship. Based on how poor our summer recruitment was I see no evidence that would have been different in the prem. We can’t even identify the right areas to improve never mind actually filling them. We’d have been stuffed every week.


Last summer we invested the most money in our history in a transfer window. And that was without even going up.

If we had gone up, with all the income you get from promotion (much higher than our previous promotions), who's to say we wouldn't have brought in some good players? And confidence in the existing squad would have been sky-high.

It's a big assumption to say we would've been stuffed every week.


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: Look on the bright side

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Feb 2018 10:24

genome wrote:
FiNeRaIn wrote:Both times we got to the prem we invested way short of what was required and swiftly found ourselves back in the championship. Based on how poor our summer recruitment was I see no evidence that would have been different in the prem. We can’t even identify the right areas to improve never mind actually filling them. We’d have been stuffed every week.


Last summer we invested the most money in our history in a transfer window. And that was without even going up.

If we had gone up, with all the income you get from promotion (much higher than our previous promotions), who's to say we wouldn't have brought in some good players? And confidence in the existing squad would have been sky-high.

It's a big assumption to say we would've been stuffed every week.


I actually think the style we play would work a lot better in the Premier League, especially with better players in the team funded by the TV money we would have got.

User avatar
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5101
Joined: 09 Nov 2016 00:25

Re: Look on the bright side

by BR0B0T » 09 Feb 2018 10:28

Royal_jimmy wrote:The truth is we will never know what would have happened had we got promoted but considering we rode our luck in a lot of games, it'd have required a lot of investment and shrewd signings, the chances are that we'd come straight back down. We'd have signed better quality players and kept Al Habsi and Williams for sure so who knows.


Is the correct and rational answer

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2004
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Look on the bright side

by John Smith » 09 Feb 2018 10:29

FiNeRaIn wrote:When we went up the first year people were moaning all summer about lack of investment. It worked out that we played above ourselves and finished 8th but it was a risk that paid off, probably not a sensible one either. The second season as you say was even worse because we lost Sidwell and that was that. Its just frustrating when you look at other teams who went up with good squads, invested to get better and stayed there. We had two chances to do that and we did absolutely nothing. What could have been.

Despite the fact you mostly post drivel on here and claim to be a Reading fan despite having a Rangers badge as your avatar, this is as highly accurate and true post as any.

We could have won silverware and had a European tour. Just look at others crocks of shit like Wigan, Birmingham City and Swansea as examples

User avatar
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5101
Joined: 09 Nov 2016 00:25

Re: Look on the bright side

by BR0B0T » 09 Feb 2018 10:35

'greed.....I'd ave just signed the new Messi and prolly won the league

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2004
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Look on the bright side

by John Smith » 09 Feb 2018 10:38

BR0B0T wrote:'greed.....I'd ave just signed the new Messi and prolly won the league

Alright sarcy. For you to think that Al-Habsi is a missing link just goes to show your level of footballing knowledge. A keeper who made more costly errors than our current keeper. Is your head in the sand?

User avatar
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5101
Joined: 09 Nov 2016 00:25

Re: Look on the bright side

by BR0B0T » 09 Feb 2018 10:45

John Smith wrote:
BR0B0T wrote:'greed.....I'd ave just signed the new Messi and prolly won the league

Alright sarcy. For you to think that Al-Habsi is a missing link just goes to show your level of footballing knowledge. A keeper who made more costly errors than our current keeper. Is your head in the sand?


WTF are you talking about John

I've never mentioned AAH

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2004
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: Look on the bright side

by John Smith » 09 Feb 2018 11:22

BR0B0T wrote:
John Smith wrote:
BR0B0T wrote:'greed.....I'd ave just signed the new Messi and prolly won the league

Alright sarcy. For you to think that Al-Habsi is a missing link just goes to show your level of footballing knowledge. A keeper who made more costly errors than our current keeper. Is your head in the sand?


WTF are you talking about John

I've never mentioned AAH

Royal Jimmy did and you agreed with him

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], double d, From Despair To Where?, Google [Bot], Snowflake Royal, stealthpapes and 44 guests

It is currently 18 Feb 2018 09:51