Back from the shambles - Brum

179 posts
Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the shambles - Brum

by Theroyalbox » 03 Jan 2018 08:35

Well having been firmly in the IN camp yesterday, it is really hard to show Stam any support. That was one of the most clueless performances I have seen from a Reading team in a long time (well since Burton). But seriously point is that was the worst it has been so far.

McShane - the bloke was utter sh!t last night and its a shame because he seems a really nice guy and last season his passion was unrivalled, but yesterday he got bullied by a kid on loan who showed more passion and more fight than our club captain. Every battle he lost he just seemed to run away from it. I would've loved to have seen him get up and just headbutt the pfucker or smash someone with a big tackle but there was no fight there and this was true throughout the whole team apart from Kermy in the last 15 getting frustrated and just pushing people over needlessly

Moore - His weakest performance, he knows mcshane is gone and is trying to do the whole teams job, needs to stay grounded and I don't think he will leave its really only Reading fans that blow smoke up his arse in what is a shambolic defence.

Bacuna - Confidence looks shot, he seems slower and less athletic than when he first joined, credit to him for trying to drive the team though, still think he is a good player.

Aluko - lazy, passionless so many times he lost the ball and didn't work to get it back. Really frustrating to watch but there is a good player in there - Can put Barrow under this bracket as well who was shambolic last night.

Clement - Probs my MOTM, he actually did well won the ball a few times and showed some quality *Scrapes barrel*

Swift, Gunter, Kermy - at least they showed a bit of fight, the 3 who only seemed slightly bothered.

Special shout out to Mccleary when he came on for doing absolutely f*cking nothing, hardly even breaking a sweat for someone who has been at the club for so long and been so well treated by the fans that really p*ssed me off watching him walk around the same 3 yards.

I appreciate that people think the systems not right, and this is all Stams fault but ffs surely the players need to take some responsibility, someone put in a big tackle, someone stick up for there teammate - last season Barnsley away Mccleary sent off for standing up to Williams the whole team rallied and 3 valuable points where won - wouldn't of dreamt of seeing that passion last night.

Finally - Regarding Reid, I think this is a very good point, and at the time I was sceptical of the Gilkes appointment but he seems to do nothing on the sideline - I watched Dave Beasent give instructions to Liam Kelly last night before coming on? Get someone in the first team coach position (not Gilkes)

#Wereallgoingontheleague1tour

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2018 08:36

WoodleyRoyal
double d
WoodleyRoyal
Oh fab can't wait m, I'll be sure to keep pressing f5 awaiting your comments tomorrow then....they are usually so insightful :roll:

Honestly gnome [sic] do you think we hang on your every word ffs? Do me a favour you mahoosive punt :|

That was needLess. I think you may be a tad drunk. I am one of many who likes genomes insights.

And here is the village idiot mashing the keyboard with his head wand. You can oxf*rd off and all you social retard

Nice sig.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jan 2018 08:40

BR0B0T
Oilroyal
Uke
Yeah, and what’s Reid done since?

Oh...

Said it when he left.... and got shot down

Steven Reid went to Palace and they have been total dogshit with a few recent ok results

Excluding the usual Big 6 they are top of the form table (last 10 games).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 08:44

Theroyalbox Swift, Gunter, Kermy - at least they showed a bit of fight, the 3 who only seemed slightly bothered.

Special shout out to Mccleary when he came on for doing absolutely f*cking nothing, hardly even breaking a sweat for someone who has been at the club for so long and been so well treated by the fans that really p*ssed me off watching him walk around the same 3 yards.

agree with most of the post, but not on McCleary. Thought he tried hard and showed 100* the effort Aluko did (which was disgracefully minimal). He didn't play well admittedly, but put in a couple of decent crosses. Id give him a run in the side opposite Barrow

Thinking back, Gunter actually had a decent game. Our best player on the day by a mile. Never seen him so animated or pissed off though. Said it all when he smashed the ball into the Brum end with the last kick of the game. Was clearly fuming.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 08:45

Royal Rother
BR0B0T
Oilroyal
Said it when he left.... and got shot down

Steven Reid went to Palace and they have been total dogshit with a few recent ok results

1 defeat in 12 isn't it? And the only team since the 2nd day of the season to not lose to Man City

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 03 Jan 2018 08:48

Hound
Theroyalbox Swift, Gunter, Kermy - at least they showed a bit of fight, the 3 who only seemed slightly bothered.

agree with most of the post, but not on McCleary. Thought he tried hard and showed 100* the effort Aluko did (which was disgracefully minimal). He didn't play well admittedly, but put in a couple of decent crosses. Id give him a run in the side opposite Barrow

Thinking back, Gunter actually had a decent game. Our best player on the day by a mile. Never seen him so animated or pissed off though. Said it all when he smashed the ball into the Brum end with the last kick of the game. Was clearly fuming.

Tbf maybe I am being harsh on GMAC didn't see all his cameo as I left only early for only the second time in my 15 years of season tickets, only other one I left was a home loss to West Ham when Nicky Shorey scored a late consolation free kick if I remember right

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 08:50

McCleary has put on some timber.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jan 2018 08:52

genome McCleary has put on some timber.

Speaking of timber David Stockdale is flying the flag for out of shape guys everywhere! Fat as a house and a pro footballer, living the dream!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2018 08:55

Hound
Royal Rother
BR0B0T

1 defeat in 12 isn't it? And the only team since the 2nd day of the season to not lose to Man City

Nothing to do with bringing in Hodgson?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2018 09:01

I've had time to digest things after my initial anger, this being the second game since i've been visiting from the states after Burton. I don't mind losing, the very first season I became a Reading fan was the year we went down to Division 2 with Carl Asaba up front, we were crap that season and we were crap for many years after. The problem I have is the manner of the defeats. Few observations.

* As callers said on the radio why are you passing it around at the back when you are 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go? The players are either loyal to Stam ( despite BBCRB callers suggestions) or they are taking the mickey out of him, I think its probably the former so I am not convinced he's lost the dressing room. That's at least a positive, although it doesn't count for much with the way we are playing.

* It is evident we do not have the quality of players for this style. You need movement, vision and ability to execute passes. We don't have any of these attributes. Too many times I am seeing us play the ball out to Aluko or Barrow and they are waiting for the ball to roll to them and by the time it reaches them they've been closed down. It should be early and into space to give them half a yard and stretch the opposition. We only managed this a couple of times and after seeing Burton as well as many other games over the last season I am convinced it simply reached them because of the extra zip from the rain on the turf. Most of the time the opposition gets to the player the pass is intended for before the ball does. I watched Wolves shred Bristol City the other day with quality angled passing and through balls we can only dream of here. Sure they have spent 12/15 million on those players but that seems to be the style Stam is aiming for and we just do not have close to the quality to play it. There is no urgency and know-how with movement and no one that is pulling the opposition out of position creating gaps. It is painful to watch other teams simply organize themselves and effectively say "we will soak up the nothing passing and when they get frustrated we'll press and take possession", that's literally all teams need to do.

* On the rare times we do get the wingers into space, Kermogant and the rest of the team are five yards behind play when the ball comes into the box. I don't think he even won a header last night. He's a model professional and along with McShane I have massive respect for them both, but it looks to me their legs have gone and its a question of when they will be phased out. Kermie is usually good at what he does but last night against a physical defence that knew what was coming he was vastly out of his depth. He did well for the shot that went wide but that was about all I can remember.

* Clement/Swift. Too lightweight. Lots of technical ability between them but in the championship you need to be present throughout the game and you need to be decisive and control the tempo, neither did that.

* Defense. Utter shambles, again. We have a knack of giving teams goals out of nowhere and that's the most worrying thing about this team. Both Burton and City's first goals came from absolutely no pressure by the opposition, routine set piece and a throw we failed to clear and twice their players have been first to the ball lashing in. It doesn't matter how we play or how the tempo of the game is, we are easy to score against and we are good to concede at least two a game bar the odd Barnsley game. We have some talented players back there so there is absolutely no excuse why its so consistently awful.

* Stam. No plan B, consistently trying to implement a failing style despite the changing game environments. He's started snapping at the fans and the media now also which is very reminiscent of Rodgers last days at the club. You can't just continue to play the same style when its evident you do not have the players to play it.

Overall last season was last season, the variables are different and despite what people may think we are in a relegation scrap after spending 18 million on new players. Stam does not take all the responsibility for this. All summer most of the fan base were excited to sign a striker to push on, It was a case of when rather than if. When we complained it was getting too close to the deadline some criticised us raising concerns " you are all idiots, its coming, believe in the club, same crap from you guys every season, you aren't real fans bla bla bla". What happened? We signed an outcast from Wolves who has a track record of not being able to hit a barn door. We dumped our money in wingers and completely ignored the most glaringly obvious weakness with our team. We waited right before the window shut and complained the prices were too high, almost as if the recruitment team haven't been following football for the past decade. Utterly farcical and you reap what you sow.

Sign a striker. If Stam goes then at least we will have some firepower for whoever comes in. Goals win you games and we simply do not have any threat up front. It's not just the lack of goals the non existent movement up front will also be changed. We are not too good to go down, we've been made to look awful by three relegation rivals in a row.

Worrying times but its still my club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Jan 2018 09:04

WoodleyRoyal
double d
WoodleyRoyal
Oh fab can't wait m, I'll be sure to keep pressing f5 awaiting your comments tomorrow then....they are usually so insightful :roll:

Honestly gnome [sic] do you think we hang on your every word ffs? Do me a favour you mahoosive punt :|

That was needLess. I think you may be a tad drunk. I am one of many who likes genomes insights.

And here is the village idiot mashing the keyboard with his head wand. You can oxf*rd off and all you social retard

not just social

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Jan 2018 09:05

Oilroyal you do like a giff genome... when all else fails... ITS GIFF TIME :D

that's not a gif

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 09:13

Brendy, you're speaking to Oil Royal, the man who never lets facts get in the way of an argument

double d

by double d » 03 Jan 2018 09:16

Maneki Neko
WoodleyRoyal
double d

not just social

Hush yourself too Brendy. I am not a retard I have a high IQ

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 09:16

Bodvarsson must have been pissed off that Stam put Liam Moore up front instead of bringing him, an actual striker, off the bench.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 03 Jan 2018 09:21

alfie9 Mannone: 5- seems like a nice enough guy but I miss Ali

Bacuna: 5- wasted at right back

McShane: 1- would struggle to get into a league 1 side at the moment, sorry pal

Moore: 2- overrated, I'd say cash in but then our defense would be well and truly pfucked

Gunter: 5- not mush he can do from left back, no major mistakes

VDB: 1- pfuck off

Swift: 2- weak as piss

Clement: 4- clearly has talent but no confidence in himself

Aluko: 1- pfuck off

Barrow: 4- doesn't seem to trust his teammates anymore, but isn't good enough to win games on his own

Kermie: 1- injury's crocked him, bet he wishes he never signed the contract extension

Blackett: 3- doesn't deserve all the abuse

McCleary: 1- needs a fresh start with a new manager, whether that's here or with another club

Kelly: 3- looked like he cared for a few minutes then started aimlessly passing it sideways

Stam: 0- Beat Stevenage and Hull or pfuck off

Was playing left back in the first half if I'm not mistaken ...

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 03 Jan 2018 09:22

genome Bodvarsson must have been pissed off that Stam put Liam Moore up front instead of bringing him, an actual striker, off the bench.

he'd have had his slippers on by then given that we'd made three subs

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jan 2018 09:24

The Reverend
genome Bodvarsson must have been pissed off that Stam put Liam Moore up front instead of bringing him, an actual striker, off the bench.

he'd have had his slippers on by then given that we'd made three subs

Well, exactly. If you're losing you bring on more attacking options, not 3 straight swaps.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 09:28

Platypuss
Hound
Royal Rother

Nothing to do with bringing in Hodgson?

oh plenty of course. But that wasn't the point being made.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jan 2018 09:40

I haven't seen a side so lethargic and disorganised since PANTS Day, sure there were a couple of players who stood out a bit more than others but nobody came out of that game with any credit.

The disorganisation and lack of any understanding on the pitch is down to the manager and the club don't see it, in fact if you read the official site/facebook updates you'd think we'd just put up a strong challenge against Barcellona and were unlucky to concede two goals

At some point, the board will need to think short term and try to turn this form around - If it's a change of manager then before the transfer window opens would be best, but my fear is we'll sign another Stam type manager who will want to sign more midfielders.

As previously mentioned, We miss Al Habsi and I couldn't help thinking we'd have been better of last night with Danny Williams in midfield too - Maybe also the loss of first team coach Steven Reid?

The only moments of excitement on the pitch in the second half were provided by the crisp packed that was blowing around in front of the West Lower.

179 posts