Genuine question - how did the pundits know we were likely to be fighting relegation?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Genuine question - how did the pundits know we were likely to be fighting relegation?

by Millsy » 02 Jan 2018 22:34

I remember being quite confused at the beginning of the season that despite coming third and then spending more than we've ever spent on replacements and new players in the summer pundits actually had us down to be in a relegation scrap.

I know the whole betting business depends on predicting things correctly so they have some good pros I guess but still surely it means just as much to our owners too. Was it that obvious that no striker would get us in a relegation scrap? Could they see something else in our squad? In Stam? Always baffled me, and now I'm even more confused that they seem to have been right.

Edit: Quite right for people to ask for references... this is the article that stuck with me. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.getrea ... 529499.amp
Last edited by Millsy on 04 Jan 2018 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Genuine question - how did the pundits know we were likely to be fighting relegation?

by Oilroyal » 02 Jan 2018 22:38

Maybe Steven Reid upping and leaving out of the blue which left the mad Dutchman to have it all his own way, just maybe?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Genuine question - how did the pundits know we were likely to be fighting relegation?

by Hound » 03 Jan 2018 08:31

I don't think they did really. Quite a few suggested mid table. The season before we were understandably tipped to go down

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2018 12:42

They didn't?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 03 Jan 2018 12:48

Which pundits?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2018 17:31

It's 2018, should be a cinch to find some quotes online, surely.

double d

by double d » 04 Jan 2018 07:51

Worst thing i hate about this is that there seems to be some know it all fans coming out the woodwork making stuff up like they know what they are talking about but have no substance to back it up

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jan 2018 09:43

NewCorkSeth They didn't?

As far as I'm aware it was the same old predictable stuff that anyone could have come up with: Villa, Derby, Boro etc.

It was Prutton the season before who ended up getting it spectacularly wrong

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Jan 2018 09:48

Pretty sure most pundits predicted us to be mid table.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 09:57

From Despair To Where? Pretty sure most pundits predicted us to be mid table.

There were some statistical analyses done that had us as possible relegation candidates. Those were probably based on the first couple of games when we were rotten anyway.

I don't recall any actual pundit coming out and tipping us for relegation

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jan 2018 13:51

John Smith
NewCorkSeth They didn't?

As far as I'm aware it was the same old predictable stuff that anyone could have come up with: Villa, Derby, Boro etc.

It was Prutton the season before who ended up getting it spectacularly wrong

I'm sure someone would remember us being tipped for the drop as it would have been a ballsy call after last season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jan 2018 14:21

Instead of attacking the OP on the grounds of pedancy, we could answer the sentiment of his post. Why weren't we heavily tipped to go up?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 14:27

Sanguine Instead of attacking the OP on the grounds of pedancy, we could answer the sentiment of his post. Why weren't we heavily tipped to go up?

Lack of strikers would be an obvious one!

Also - the equivalent of "second season syndrome" in the PL - if a club "over achieves" in their first season up in the PL, they are often predicted to go down the following season. when the novelty has worn off, and their style of play is familiar to opponents etc etc I'm guessing pundits thought it would be the same with Stam.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2018 14:35

There are also far bigger clubs in the division that would be assumed would do pretty well - i.e. Boro, Sheff Weds, Villa, Derby. Fulham ended the previous season on fire and Wolves spent a fortune.

I don't think many of even our own fans tipped us for promotion

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Jan 2018 14:37

Wasn't it something to do with our chances to goals ratio being abnormally high, and once that leveled out we'd be fcuked?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Jan 2018 14:54

Silver Fox Which pundits?
Neil Warnock springs to mind, but that's because he doesn't like us.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Jan 2018 15:00

Sanguine Instead of attacking the OP on the grounds of pedancy

Pedantry. HTH

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 04 Jan 2018 15:01

Because the pundits never think "little old Reading" will ever do well. Even when we are third in table for most of the season, they will say "they'll never stay there long enough to be in the play-offs".

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Jan 2018 17:26

Platypuss
Sanguine Instead of attacking the OP on the grounds of pedancy

Pedantry. HTH

Stop being a pedance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2018 17:39

Sanguine Instead of attacking the OP on the grounds of pedancy, we could answer the sentiment of his post. Why weren't we heavily tipped to go up?

BroBot's tedious goal expectancy stat that everyone seems obsessed with and we finished in 3rd in defiance of?