Back the boys and make some Noise

Albert Park

Back the boys and make some Noise

by Albert Park » 03 Jan 2018 15:28

Ok - so this is the 1st time on a RFC football Forum and have been supporting Reading for 36 years, been through all the ups and downs, the changes in personel and football culture, from freezing cold nights at Elm Park not knowing who was in your end! to the heights of Premiership football and of course to now!!! Could go on about who is to blame, players that aren't good enough to players that aren't playing well enough, the boring uninspiring football we are playing, the lack of passion and the general flatness across the board. What will never change with who comes in or who leaves throughout our lives is 'us' the fan - and I think we have some responsibility to the general flatness. I know we pay our money and have a right to say what we want - but I do find that as fans, especially at home - we can be really quiet, am sick of being out sung and called the library by every team that visits. We can't change the team or the boards decisions etc but we can change/help the atmosphere.Of course the style of play helps the general vibe in the ground - BUT we need to back the boys more - even if things are as they are right now! We need to be singing, chanting and supporting 'RFC' now more than ever, like we do away - it could help lift them...
I remember taking my son to an away game when he was young ( fulham ) when Fulham scored their second goal he took his hat off sat down and started crying - I told him to put his hat back on and stand on the chair - be proud of being a Reading Fan no matter what - stick ya chest out and sing ya arse off. which he did ... we still got beaten mind - but only on the pitch, off the pitch we gave our team everything and it felt good.

double d

Re: Back the boys and make some Noise

by double d » 03 Jan 2018 17:57

Good post but you are in a minority. The only thing I want to back is Stam out.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 Jan 2018 18:11

Albert, welcome to HNA, you talk a lot of sense, makes a change.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 03 Jan 2018 18:17

Albert Park Ok - so this is the 1st time on a RFC football Forum and have been supporting Reading for 36 years, been through all the ups and downs, the changes in personel and football culture, from freezing cold nights at Elm Park not knowing who was in your end! to the heights of Premiership football and of course to now!!! Could go on about who is to blame, players that aren't good enough to players that aren't playing well enough, the boring uninspiring football we are playing, the lack of passion and the general flatness across the board. What will never change with who comes in or who leaves throughout our lives is 'us' the fan - and I think we have some responsibility to the general flatness. I know we pay our money and have a right to say what we want - but I do find that as fans, especially at home - we can be really quiet, am sick of being out sung and called the library by every team that visits. We can't change the team or the boards decisions etc but we can change/help the atmosphere.Of course the style of play helps the general vibe in the ground - BUT we need to back the boys more - even if things are as they are right now! We need to be singing, chanting and supporting 'RFC' now more than ever, like we do away - it could help lift them...
I remember taking my son to an away game when he was young ( fulham ) when Fulham scored their second goal he took his hat off sat down and started crying - I told him to put his hat back on and stand on the chair - be proud of being a Reading Fan no matter what - stick ya chest out and sing ya arse off. which he did ... we still got beaten mind - but only on the pitch, off the pitch we gave our team everything and it felt good.

Totally disagree, if the players we had were out of their depth and trying their best for the badge then yes, back them without question. On the basis they have the ability and earn more in a week than most of us earn in a year, and they're not bothered and putting in oxf*rd all in, then bollocks to them. They deserve oxf*rd all support, shit manager or not, they are in a position of huge privilege and are taking the piss out of all of us. Bunch of overpaid pcunts.

double d

by double d » 03 Jan 2018 18:19

poohs pure
Albert Park Ok - so this is the 1st time on a RFC football Forum and have been supporting Reading for 36 years, been through all the ups and downs, the changes in personel and football culture, from freezing cold nights at Elm Park not knowing who was in your end! to the heights of Premiership football and of course to now!!! Could go on about who is to blame, players that aren't good enough to players that aren't playing well enough, the boring uninspiring football we are playing, the lack of passion and the general flatness across the board. What will never change with who comes in or who leaves throughout our lives is 'us' the fan - and I think we have some responsibility to the general flatness. I know we pay our money and have a right to say what we want - but I do find that as fans, especially at home - we can be really quiet, am sick of being out sung and called the library by every team that visits. We can't change the team or the boards decisions etc but we can change/help the atmosphere.Of course the style of play helps the general vibe in the ground - BUT we need to back the boys more - even if things are as they are right now! We need to be singing, chanting and supporting 'RFC' now more than ever, like we do away - it could help lift them...

Totally disagree, if the players we had were out of their depth and trying their best for the badge then yes, back them without question. On the basis they have the ability and earn more in a week than most of us earn in a year, and they're not bothered and putting in oxf*rd all in, then bollocks to them. They deserve oxf*rd all support, shit manager or not, they are in a position of huge privilege and are taking the piss out of all of us. Bunch of overpaid pcunts.

Thats the spirit!!!

King Cnut

by King Cnut » 03 Jan 2018 18:37

I’ve noticed that the West Stand start booing and griping a lot quicker than the rest of the Mad Stad. The Dolan stand seem a bit more understanding and get behind the team more even when it’s going wrong. The East stand seem just content to wind up the visiting fans, some don’t even watch the match. Our adolescent fans in the corner really need a good chasing to teach them some manners. Pimply youths shouting obscenities at away fans and then they run like meerkats when challenged.

Is Stam getting the wrong perception from the Prawn Sandwich West Stand? Should he be up there orchestrating the ground a bit more? Are the club getting bums off seats? The Burton game and all its hype was a missed opportunity to recruit some newcomers, sadly many saw no reason to not get on the next train to a Chelsea game.

Yes let’s raise the roof at our next game and it’s got to rub off on the team. At present the atmosphere is pathetic and it must get to the players. However hard they try, it’s just a very dull atmosphere to play in.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Jan 2018 19:51

King Cnut it’s just a very dull atmosphere to play in.

Surely a big part of that is that the fans are bored, and are expecting the match to be rubbish, and aren't remotely enthused about the game as a result.

At the moment going to watch Reading is like visiting relatives as Christmas - you know it'll be tedious, but somehow feel you ought to do it anyway,

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 03 Jan 2018 21:12

King Cnut I’ve noticed that the West Stand start booing and griping a lot quicker than the rest of the Mad Stad. The Dolan stand seem a bit more understanding and get behind the team more even when it’s going wrong. The East stand seem just content to wind up the visiting fans, some don’t even watch the match. Our adolescent fans in the corner really need a good chasing to teach them some manners. Pimply youths shouting obscenities at away fans and then they run like meerkats when challenged.

Is Stam getting the wrong perception from the Prawn Sandwich West Stand? Should he be up there orchestrating the ground a bit more? Are the club getting bums off seats? The Burton game and all its hype was a missed opportunity to recruit some newcomers, sadly many saw no reason to not get on the next train to a Chelsea game.

Yes let’s raise the roof at our next game and it’s got to rub off on the team. At present the atmosphere is pathetic and it must get to the players. However hard they try, it’s just a very dull atmosphere to play in.

I'd like to know which part of the west stand you are referring to.
I'm in upper west and I have NEVER heard a boo from that area although we hear a lot emanating from areas of the east stand.
From your cliche 'prawn sandwich' reference, I feel this is this just another opportunity to vent a bit of class envy?
This idea that anyone in the west stand is 'posh' , knows nothing about football or RFC and is not allowed to have an opinion is so past its fvcking sell by date, it's more boring than our build up play.
Anyway I thought the common complaint was that no one could ever hear the west stand and seeing you've made a comment on every stand, which one are you then?

These blokes get paid ridiculous amounts of money for their supposed skills, they should be able to apply those skills even in an empty stadium, blaming the people who have paid to watch for the ineptitude on the pitch is frankly farcical.
Are you implying that someone on about £20k a week can't pass a ball to someone ten feet away because someone
in the west stand isn't blindly praising his skills or singing his name in some dirge.
If they can only play and get success when the fans are in full voice, shouldn't we be getting paid for this resource as well?
Blaming decent fans who have paid in good faith for the current situation is disingenuous to say the least.

Albert Park

by Albert Park » 03 Jan 2018 21:48

So the general feeling is the players are over paid and undeserving of our praise, vocal support and I totally get that - but We support Reading ! No matter who wears the shirt - when I say we get behind the team - its not the individual players of whom will probably move on and may or may not even give a shit - its Reading Fc as a whole, Reading Fc as our team, Reading as our bloody town!

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 04 Jan 2018 00:39

Think after last season and previous seasons cup runs we have had little to get excited about in comparison, hope we can get behind the team abit as it has become a little tense between supporters in the East stand recently. Think a decent FA cup run could help the fans and club connect again....please dont lose at stevenage now lads :oops: :lol:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 04 Jan 2018 11:00

poohs pure On the basis they have the ability and earn more in a week than most of us earn in a year, and they're not bothered and putting in oxf*rd all in, then bollocks to them. They deserve oxf*rd all support, shit manager or not, they are in a position of huge privilege and are taking the piss out of all of us. Bunch of overpaid pcunts.

Since Danny Williams departure, I'm pretty confident none of our squad are on over £20k pw. If you're earning less than that per year, maybe you should've tried harder at school... :wink:

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 04 Jan 2018 11:14

Good post, and I totally agree, but Reading never have and never will have a good set of loyal fans its just the way life works.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 11:18

Tilehurstsouthbank
poohs pure On the basis they have the ability and earn more in a week than most of us earn in a year, and they're not bothered and putting in oxf*rd all in, then bollocks to them. They deserve oxf*rd all support, shit manager or not, they are in a position of huge privilege and are taking the piss out of all of us. Bunch of overpaid pcunts.

Since Danny Williams departure, I'm pretty confident none of our squad are on over £20k pw. If you're earning less than that per year, maybe you should've tried harder at school... :wink:

Just as an aside - 15k a week over a period of 8 years (decent stretch for a pro) amounts to 6.2 million.

Over a 45 year career, that's the equivalent of 140K a year. Except, proportionately, because it's weighted over a shorter period, more of it would disappear in tax then from 140K a year. And I doubt it comes with a final salary pension either.

A cabinet minister gets 140K a year, with a final salary pension. Given the performance of our current government, footballers aren't overpaid at all :-)

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 04 Jan 2018 11:26

Albert Park ...blah blah blah, it's all the fans fault...

Hi Jaap! :wink:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Jan 2018 11:27

Albert Park So the general feeling is the players are over paid and undeserving of our praise, vocal support and I totally get that - but We support Reading ! No matter who wears the shirt - when I say we get behind the team - its not the individual players of whom will probably move on and may or may not even give a shit - its Reading Fc as a whole, Reading Fc as our team, Reading as our bloody town!
Speak for yourself, not others.

The players get praise everything they do something worthy of praise - a shot on goal, winning a ball back, visibly making an effort, showing some passion, scoring a goal, saving a goal, winning a game. They get booed when they do stupid/lazy things and don't appear to want to perform. Most of the booing at the end of the game is, in my opinion due to the way they play/negative tactics than the result - It's the only outlet the fans have and it isn't helped that he spokespersons for the club (Stam and Gorulay) don't seem to think there is a problem/everything is ok.

Not everyone who supports Reading FC is from Reading, some who are from Reading despise the place, Some are only there for individual players, most go there to be entertained and most pay good money, If you pay to watch a film and it's crap you're going to moan about it, same with football.

It's been covered so many times, the way to get the crowd on side is to show passion on the pitch. I can accept a hard fought 2-0 defeat where it is clear the players have given 100% and the manager has tried every trick at his disposal to get something from the game, even with minutes to go they should be playing for pride and not give up/allow a 3rd in or give up trying to get on the scoresheet as it won't affect the points outcome.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2018 11:31

What a lot of nonsense. All paying supporters have a right to express their views however they wish so long as it is within the law and not offensive.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I am getting pretty sick of being told how to support my football team. The only thing that will lift the crowd and the team is when Stam goes, he is killing the club.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 04 Jan 2018 12:02

I feel as a fan for so long ive never felt so distanced from the club, I know its a small thing but a fans meeting with Stam/Gourlay/Tevreden could go a long way but none of them seem to be interested in the fans. This is why people won't back the boys

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2018 12:05

People won’t back the boys because we are playing shit and losing games

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 04 Jan 2018 12:15

Albert Park So the general feeling is the players are over paid and undeserving of our praise, vocal support and I totally get that - but We support Reading ! No matter who wears the shirt - when I say we get behind the team - its not the individual players of whom will probably move on and may or may not even give a shit - its Reading Fc as a whole, Reading Fc as our team, Reading as our bloody town!

Don't fully agree with this sentiment AP.
Many town/city teams are now simply brand names.
When you look at the players/managers of say the two Manchesters, who is actually playing for the city of Manchester and that community and who is playing under a lucrative contract and will clear off as soon as a better offer comes along?

If you really want to make this our town team, we need to start bringing in those youngsters who have been in Reading's academy and grown up as a part of our community.
If we did this whole heartedly, I for one wouldn't be so bothered with the results because it is my home team and I'd support them come rain or shine and be more forgiving with performances.
However, when the team is full of say Dutch journeyman or players who probably couldn't even find the town centre, I don't believe they have any real interest in our community (apart from PR gigs) and are more interested in their personal career paths or seeing a career out.
And that's OK, but expect me to show the same loyalty to them as they do to us and expect to be more readily criticised.

Let's be honest, Stam would have gone to any team with a decent offer on the table, it just so happened he came here.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2018 12:18

Great post and I happily join you in what we are told is the minority.

Having actively supported the team since 1967 I have finally realised just how much we have been spoiled over the last decade or so. The disappointment of this season is pretty normal for supporters of most teams and was a frequent occurrence for us prior to the most recent golden period.