CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

310 posts
alfie9

Re: CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

by alfie9 » 01 Feb 2018 03:10

I'm expecting that Stam will stick to 2 up front until at least the end of the season or we go on another bad run. If that's true, it's a good signing. We now have 3 solid strikers to rotate as well as Sam Smith waiting in the wings.

Squad depth is looking a lot more balanced:

4-4-2

Martin----------Bod
Kermo----------Smith

Barrow-----------VDB------------Edwards-----------Aluko
Clement----------Evans---------Swift/Kelly--------Macca

Richards----------Moore-----------Elphick-----------Gunter
Blackett---------Ilori--------------McShane---------Bacuna

Mannone
Jaakola

3-5-2

Martin----------Bod
Kermo----------Smith

Swift
Clement

Barrow-----------VDB------------Edwards-----------Bacuna
Richards----------Evans---------Kelly--------Macca/Aluko

Elphick--------------Moore------------Gunter
Blackett------------Ilori---------------McShane

Mannone
Jaakola

And of course a lot of those positions are interchangeable.

I think it's been a solid January transfer window, although I would've kept hold of one of wither Beerens or Popa as the wings still look a but light. Although we also have Harriott who could finally make his recovery (finally), which could be a factor in letting two wingers go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2018 07:07

I don’t think Harriott is in the mid at all

I think it’s more a case of Stam sees us going 3-5-2 and therefore Gunter taking one of the WB spots. Barrow the other probably, with Bacuna and Aluko/McCleary if they can find any form

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Feb 2018 08:52

royalp-we
windermereROYAL
Simon's Church Mackie? Not sure how many he actually scored, but he did ok

6 goals in 39. not good.

Appiah?

Legend status just for that performance at Derby!

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 01 Feb 2018 09:51

Martin and Elphick deals suggest a higher degree of panic - very expensively salved - than I had expected from RFC.

Have our direct relegation rivals done much business in terms of incoming players?

BTW I hate the way pundits use terms like 'bodies' or 'big units' - they wouldn't dare say that about female players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2018 09:53

reckon Elphick is viewed as a potential perm signing in the summer to replace McShane (hopefully)

No talk of Martin staying longer than the 3 months. Think its a case of a short term fix to see us safe

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Feb 2018 10:14

bcubed
Rax
Simon's Church
Why is it so stupid? What he's saying makes sense

1) Because a: it's in the FA rules and therefore being a professional football journalist, he should know this.
2) it's common sense!

Isn't he saying he knows it's the rule but he just doesn't agree with it?

(I haven't read it all)

^this. Still, makes a change for Reading fans to massively overreact to something unimportant on the internetz though

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Feb 2018 10:18

I imagine he would disagree with the rule right up until we loan out someone and he scored against us, using his knowledge of our defensive weaknesses

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 10:19

Fox Talbot Martin and Elphick deals suggest a higher degree of panic - very expensively salved - than I had expected from RFC.

Have our direct relegation rivals done much business in terms of incoming players?

BTW I hate the way pundits use terms like 'bodies' or 'big units' - they wouldn't dare say that about female players.

Most female players don't have units whatever the size.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 10:23

Looking forward to the lulz at me for not knowing this but is it actually a rule? In football manager you have the option to allow players to play against their parent team. Obviously it's just a game but why would they include something specifically banned by the fa?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Feb 2018 10:42

genome I imagine he would disagree with the rule right up until we loan out someone and he scored against us, using his knowledge of our defensive weaknesses

Or if he crocked one of our players in a tackle.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Feb 2018 10:52

genome using his knowledge of our defensive weaknesses

Yeah, our defensive weakness has been kept top secret so far this season........

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Feb 2018 10:59

6ft Kerplunk
genome using his knowledge of our defensive weaknesses

Yeah, our defensive weakness has been kept top secret so far this season........

Not saying it's top secret.

It's just better to have a rule to remove all doubt

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Feb 2018 11:28

NewCorkSeth Looking forward to the lulz at me for not knowing this but is it actually a rule? In football manager you have the option to allow players to play against their parent team. Obviously it's just a game but why would they include something specifically banned by the fa?

As far as I am aware it is a rule in the Premier League, but it is NOT a rule the Football League. For us it is just part of the loan agreement.

Obviously I stand to be corrected if that is not the case.......

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Feb 2018 12:42

Silver Fox
bcubed
Rax
1) Because a: it's in the FA rules and therefore being a professional football journalist, he should know this.
2) it's common sense!

Isn't he saying he knows it's the rule but he just doesn't agree with it?

(I haven't read it all)

^this. Still, makes a change for Reading fans to massively overreact to something unimportant on the internetz though

Is it too late in the year for you to make a New Year Resolution not to criticise Reading fans at every opportunity?.
It's as if you feel Reading fans are in some way worse than fans of other clubs-they are just fans, of all shapes, sizes and intellects so perhaps you could cut them some slack.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Feb 2018 14:22

Victor Meldrew
Silver Fox ^this. Still, makes a change for Reading fans to massively overreact to something unimportant on the internetz though

Is it too late in the year for you to make a New Year Resolution not to criticise Reading fans at every opportunity?.
It's as if you feel Reading fans are in some way worse than fans of other clubs-they are just fans, of all shapes, sizes and intellects so perhaps you could cut them some slack.

+1. If you criticise your own fans then, in the immortal words of Brendan: "you are not a supporter of this club".

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 14:39

Wycombe Royal
NewCorkSeth Looking forward to the lulz at me for not knowing this but is it actually a rule? In football manager you have the option to allow players to play against their parent team. Obviously it's just a game but why would they include something specifically banned by the fa?

As far as I am aware it is a rule in the Premier League, but it is NOT a rule the Football League. For us it is just part of the loan agreement.

Luckily nobody on here is actually going to look it up so we can all live happily never knowing.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 01 Feb 2018 14:46

Wycombe Royal

I am pretty sure you are right Wycombe. Did we not loan a player out a few years ago and he was able to play against us, as the loan was done in a rush (deadline day?) and the "do not play" clause was left out? If anyone can remember the player and which club, please put me out of my misery, as I cannot recall either.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Feb 2018 14:59

The Royal Forester
Wycombe Royal

I am pretty sure you are right Wycombe. Did we not loan a player out a few years ago and he was able to play against us, as the loan was done in a rush (deadline day?) and the "do not play" clause was left out? If anyone can remember the player and which club, please put me out of my misery, as I cannot recall either.

Jake Cooper.

Cheers

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Feb 2018 16:55

NewCorkSeth
Wycombe Royal

Luckily nobody on here is actually going to look it up so we can all live happily never knowing.

That's where you are wrong! :wink:

52.7 During the period of any Temporary Loan Transfer, a Player shall not play against his Transferor Club without the prior written permission of the Transferor Club (which, if given, must be indicated on the appropriate Temporary Loan Transfer form).

Taken from the EFL Official Website. Actually, the bit on transfers is quite interesting, including the money taken by the EFL as part of the transactions.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Feb 2018 17:11

RoyalBlue
NewCorkSeth
Wycombe Royal As far as I am aware it is a rule in the Premier League, but it is NOT a rule the Football League. For us it is just part of the loan agreement.

That's where you are wrong! :wink:

52.7 During the period of any Temporary Loan Transfer, a Player shall not play against his Transferor Club without the prior written permission of the Transferor Club (which, if given, must be indicated on the appropriate Temporary Loan Transfer form).

Taken from the EFL Official Website. Actually, the bit on transfers is quite interesting, including the money taken by the EFL as part of the transactions.

Why did they feel the need to include the word temporary? Is there a permanent loan system?

310 posts