CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

310 posts
TiagoIlori

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by TiagoIlori » 16 Jan 2018 13:01

Struggle to make anything of those betting odds personally, but it’s odd to think our low league position has actually made us the favourites to sign Chris Martin in comparison to the teams doing well championship. Funny old game huh?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jan 2018 13:40

TiagoIlori Struggle to make anything of those betting odds personally, but it’s odd to think our low league position has actually made us the favourites to sign Chris Martin in comparison to the teams doing well championship. Funny old game huh?

Derby don't want to loan to a promotion rival which makes us favourites by default. We are about as far away from being promotion rivals as you can get.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jan 2018 13:52

Old Man Andrews
TiagoIlori Struggle to make anything of those betting odds personally, but it’s odd to think our low league position has actually made us the favourites to sign Chris Martin in comparison to the teams doing well championship. Funny old game huh?

Derby don't want to loan to a promotion rival which makes us favourites by default. We are about as far away from being promotion rivals as you can get.

Then we thrash them and scupper their promotion hopes again.

What's Darren Bent up to?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Jan 2018 14:07

Hound thats barely news to be honest, just some bookie odds. I'm a little disappointed if there is an opportunity here we haven't got it settled by now. We could do with that lift asap

I imagine we're waiting for them to sign a new striker first.

Apparently Cameron Jerome is having a medical there today, after which I imagine he will be on his way. Bit of a weird one that, Jerome is hardly an upgrade on Martin... :|

Alan Nixon said something on Twitter about Derby wanting more of a wage contribution from us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2018 14:22

yeah bit of a weird one. Norwich be highly disappointed to only get 1.5m for him considering the levels of extortion they normally carry out

would have thought that will surely free up Martin to move

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 16 Jan 2018 15:24

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

Then we thrash them and scupper their promotion hopes again.

What's Darren Bent up to?

He could end up at Burton on loan come January deadline day, poor bloke. Was one of the best strikers in the country nearly 10 years ago, even managed to score that infamous goal with the help of a beach ball because he was so good :lol: sort of sad to see he never recovered from that injury

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jan 2018 16:55

genome
Hound thats barely news to be honest, just some bookie odds. I'm a little disappointed if there is an opportunity here we haven't got it settled by now. We could do with that lift asap

Apparently Cameron Jerome is having a medical there today, after which I imagine he will be on his way. Bit of a weird one that, Jerome is hardly an upgrade on Martin... :|

Alan Nixon said something on Twitter about Derby wanting more of a wage contribution from us.

Depends what you want from you're striker. Jerome has pace and presence while Martin lacks pace but has presence and is more of a team contributor

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 Jan 2018 17:02

Sutekh
genome

Depends what you want from you're striker. Jerome has pace and presence while Martin lacks pace but has presence and is more of a team contributor

I don't know a huge amount Jerome but only £1.5m ? I really don't think Martin will change anything, if we can't get the ball to him it's a waste of ££

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Jan 2018 21:49

Derby sign Cameron Jerome. looks like Martin is free to leave.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Jan 2018 22:35

Stam confrimed interest in him after the game...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 06:42

I reckon it will happen at some point this week.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jan 2018 07:25

Hound I reckon it will happen at some point this week.

Just before the Brentford game would be nice, give Yann and Bod a kick up the backside. Yann needs to feel threatened.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Jan 2018 07:27

Hound I reckon it will happen at some point this week.

Always found it quite interesting that Stam openly talks about transfer targets in pressers... our previous managers always gave nothing away.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Jan 2018 07:46

Longhorn1970
Sutekh
genome

I don't know a huge amount Jerome but only £1.5m ? I really don't think Martin will change anything, if we can't get the ball to him it's a waste of ££

Jerome's 31 and if his contract was up in the summer then £1.5m would be about right.

Martin has a better strike rate in the Championship that Jerome, roughly 10 fewer goals in 100 fewer games.

I think Martin is decent team player and given decent service, he will score goals. However, the same can probably be said of JDB and he's earned the chance.

Kermorgant just looks off the pace at the moment. Not surprising at 36 and coming back from injury.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 08:31

Interesting that Bod's record this season is considerably better than Martin's. Not to put a dampener on though, would be a good signing

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Jan 2018 11:40

genome I imagine we're waiting for them to sign a new striker first.

Cameron Jerome is absolutely class

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Jan 2018 12:47

John Smith

I wouldn't go that far. At his best he's good championship player or bench fodder in lower Premiership teams. Gets caught offside a lot and has games where he couldn't hit a barn door. Good pro though and always puts in a shift.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2018 13:12

John Smith

You are confusing absolute class with always scores against us.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jan 2018 15:27

genome
windermereROYAL Our fans gave him a hard time but you don't turn into a bad player over night.

I imagine that happens to loads of clubs, not just us.

I've heard that in here before, genome, as if its some kind of justification for the negativity. Assuming its even true, just for the record we don't necessarily want to just be like other fans/clubs, right? We want to be BETTER than other fans/clubs, right? Or am I being too presumptuous in that thinking?

Back on topic, I'm in favor of getting Chris Martin in, and I hope the club gets this one over the line. Too bad they didn't get something done last summer. With Yann's injuries/struggles and Bod's fitness/injuries/illness issues, in effect Stam has been essentially operating without a striker for much of the season. If we'd had at the outset, a striker who would score, say, 20 league goals, things would likely look a lot different right now. Put another way, we have about 20 games left. If Martin came in and scored about a dozen goals, that would then be a more objective metric by which to evaluate Stam, imo.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Jan 2018 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Jan 2018 15:38

Denver Royal
genome
windermereROYAL Our fans gave him a hard time but you don't turn into a bad player over night.

I imagine that happens to loads of clubs, not just us.

I've heard that in here before, genome, as if its some kind of justification for the negativity.

No... my point was exactly the opposite :|

310 posts