BFTG - Stevenage

217 posts
prfoster

Re: BFTG - Stevenage

by prfoster » 07 Jan 2018 14:23

Was one of the unlucky group who attended , No real booing until the end , the singing i felt was more lighthearted than negative and a result of the appalling style of football on show,
The players confidence is shot , any desire to express themselves has been coached out of them and how can they when we set up with two holding midfielders and two wingers playing as strikers and a player in Liam Kelly who has forgotten what type of player he is, no width no flair no shots , boring boring boring.

will be back for more though , cant help it

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2018 14:39

tmesis
leon
tmesis
More importantly, it's not about players being upset. It's about people believing that even if they give players abuse all game, those same players should still show gratitude towards them, despite that abuse.

Seriously chaps. This is RFC we’re talking about.

Some boos and sarcasm? Really?

This lot would shit bricks in front an actual aggressive crowd.

I don't really care about the players' feelings etc (beyond the moronic idea that booing players motivates them to play better), but more the outrage that some have about not being appreciated, when there wasn't a great deal worthy of appreciation.

Clapping the fans is one of those things - only really gets noticed when it doesn’t happen

Think as mentioned originally, if McShane doesn’t want to clap the fans, it’s a bit rubbish but not that bothered

If as captain he tried to get the whole team to walk off without clapping the fans, that’s something different and pretty poor imo

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Jan 2018 14:39

tmesis
leon
tmesis
More importantly, it's not about players being upset. It's about people believing that even if they give players abuse all game, those same players should still show gratitude towards them, despite that abuse.

Seriously chaps. This is RFC we’re talking about.

Some boos and sarcasm? Really?

This lot would shit bricks in front an actual aggressive crowd.

I don't really care about the players' feelings etc (beyond the moronic idea that booing players motivates them to play better), but more the outrage that some have about not being appreciated, when there wasn't a great deal worthy of appreciation.

You clearly weren't there. The mere fact that we sold out the away end is something to be appreciated, especially considering the horrendous football on show all season. The fact that the fans were loud and supportive until it was evident that we'd all been duped into turning up to another farce of a shit show was also worth appreciating.

Just hope Gunter and McShane are as happy to slag off sections of the fans when sub 7000 fans are turning up and they're being paid £12 an hour as a result of the dire state of affairs.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Jan 2018 14:42

prfoster Was one of the unlucky group who attended , No real booing until the end , the singing i felt was more lighthearted than negative and a result of the appalling style of football on show,
The players confidence is shot , any desire to express themselves has been coached out of them and how can they when we set up with two holding midfielders and two wingers playing as strikers and a player in Liam Kelly who has forgotten what type of player he is, no width no flair no shots , boring boring boring.

This. Spot on assessment and exactly how I saw proceedings.

See you all at Hull.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Jan 2018 16:44

Jagermesiter1871
prfoster Was one of the unlucky group who attended , No real booing until the end , the singing i felt was more lighthearted than negative and a result of the appalling style of football on show,

This. Spot on assessment and exactly how I saw proceedings.

See you all at Hull.

You can't be surprised if the players didnt quite see it that way.

It was a dig at Stam and his 'style" but they obviously took it personally.

It's symptomatic of the state of the club and the relationship between Stam and the fans that players and management don't see this sort of thing as light hearted

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2018 16:49

yep, has degenerated into a “them and us”

Were Guntz and Paul Mac breaking ranks? Possibly not.........just towing the party-line?...(I hope not)

Regardless, their feedback was welcome....and very much too overdue.

Nobody is particularly happy right now....but the silence has been the biggest turn-off (off-field).

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jan 2018 18:07

What's wrong with fans booing? I don't understand why its "disgraceful". How are fans supposed to vent their anger? They are grown professional men, their not children. Bloody Snowflake mentality. They should be trying to get fans onside, or questioning with the manager why its all a shambles. Clearly their not, or if they are their thicker than we give them credit.....Ive just watched a Forest team play some wonderful football and youngster taking responsibility and youngsters using their brains. Wonderful stuff........especially that young 18 year old striker.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2018 18:15

Imho, booing is soooo Italian

Just bare your arses at the players maybe?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jan 2018 18:20

AthleticoSpizz Imho, booing is soooo Italian

Indeed Mr Spizz, but they also piss into bottles and throw them. Might not be the done thing over here.

Incidentally whereby a captain Kirk?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Jan 2018 18:23

AthleticoSpizz yep, has degenerated into a “them and us”

Were Guntz and Paul Mac breaking ranks?

Regardless, their feedback was welcome....and very much overdue.

Gunts is a footballer who is also a football fan. It's one reason why the Wales supporters love him - they know if he wasn't a player, he'd be in the crowd. So, I think he's more aware than most of fan-player interaction - hence encouraging the team to go and face the fans, and also realising something had to be said, in the aftermath.
Also worth noting - some of the comments after the game were suggesting that not only did Macca not clap the fans he'd told other players to follow suit, by "leading them off the pitch" - in Gunts statement he made it clear that nobody had told the players not to clap (what he left unsaid is that without his (and Dave Edwards) intervention, none of them were particularly feeling it!). So he was also trying to patch up, as best he could, the damage that might have already been done

I'm not sure if Macca's response was off his own bat, triggered by Gunter's post, or "suggested" by club hierarchy - but also welcome, regardless.

I don't think in either case there was anything that club management could object to.

Ascotexgunner What's wrong with fans booing? I don't understand why its "disgraceful". How are fans supposed to vent their anger? They are grown professional men, their not children. Bloody Snowflake mentality. They should be trying to get fans onside, or questioning with the manager why its all a shambles. Clearly their not, or if they are their thicker than we give them credit.....Ive just watched a Forest team play some wonderful football and youngster taking responsibility and youngsters using their brains. Wonderful stuff........especially that young 18 year old striker.

What's right with it? What is it for?

Ultimately the message from Gunts, Macca, Stam is actually the same. And has been for quite some time. Garath McCleary was appealing for fans not to boo more than a year ago. Before that I can remember Danny Williams, Hope Akpan etc appealing for fan support at various times, when things weren't going well.

Message, basically is - Yes, you're entitled to boo if you don't like what you see, and we can't stop you, but why are you doing it? It really doesn't help. Aren't we all trying for the same goal?

Booing because you're fed up and want the players to know about it - well fine, if that's what you want to do. It's your money, your choice.
None of the players are claiming they cry themselves to sleep at night over it. They're saying it's not nice, it doesn't help, you're wasting your breath, and you're making the atmosphere worse.
Why is that a "snowflake mentality"
To be honest, the snowflake mentality I see is amongst the booers. It's Wah, wah, things aren't going the way I want them to. I'm going to lie on the floor and scream my head off, because that way ice-cream will suddenly appear.
Do you think the players want to lose?
Booing might be helping you to relieve your frustration.
But for the love of Friday, stop trying to pretend that it's "motivational", and it helps.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2018 18:28

Ascotexgunner

Indeed Mr Spizz, but they also piss into bottles and throw them. Might not be the done thing over here.

Megacity 3 these days :wink: (tune)

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jan 2018 18:38

AthleticoSpizz
Ascotexgunner

Megacity 3 these days :wink: (tune)

Blimey forgot about them :D

double d

by double d » 07 Jan 2018 18:46

As a middle class club, should we not adopt the terribly middle class Barcelona approach of waving Hankies around.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jan 2018 18:57

muirinho
AthleticoSpizz yep, has degenerated into a “them and us”

Were Guntz and Paul Mac breaking ranks?

Regardless, their feedback was welcome....and very much overdue.

Gunts is a footballer who is also a football fan. It's one reason why the Wales supporters love him - they know if he wasn't a player, he'd be in the crowd. So, I think he's more aware than most of fan-player interaction - hence encouraging the team to go and face the fans, and also realising something had to be said, in the aftermath.
Also worth noting - some of the comments after the game were suggesting that not only did Macca not clap the fans he'd told other players to follow suit, by "leading them off the pitch" - in Gunts statement he made it clear that nobody had told the players not to clap (what he left unsaid is that without his (and Dave Edwards) intervention, none of them were particularly feeling it!). So he was also trying to patch up, as best he could, the damage that might have already been done

I'm not sure if Macca's response was off his own bat, triggered by Gunter's post, or "suggested" by club hierarchy - but also welcome, regardless.

I don't think in either case there was anything that club management could object to.

Ascotexgunner What's wrong with fans booing? I don't understand why its "disgraceful". How are fans supposed to vent their anger? They are grown professional men, their not children. Bloody Snowflake mentality. They should be trying to get fans onside, or questioning with the manager why its all a shambles. Clearly their not, or if they are their thicker than we give them credit.....Ive just watched a Forest team play some wonderful football and youngster taking responsibility and youngsters using their brains. Wonderful stuff........especially that young 18 year old striker.

What's right with it? What is it for?

Ultimately the message from Gunts, Macca, Stam is actually the same. And has been for quite some time. Garath McCleary was appealing for fans not to boo more than a year ago. Before that I can remember Danny Williams, Hope Akpan etc appealing for fan support at various times, when things weren't going well.

Message, basically is - Yes, you're entitled to boo if you don't like what you see, and we can't stop you, but why are you doing it? It really doesn't help. Aren't we all trying for the same goal?

Booing because you're fed up and want the players to know about it - well fine, if that's what you want to do. It's your money, your choice.
None of the players are claiming they cry themselves to sleep at night over it. They're saying it's not nice, it doesn't help, you're wasting your breath, and you're making the atmosphere worse.
Why is that a "snowflake mentality"
To be honest, the snowflake mentality I see is amongst the booers. It's Wah, wah, things aren't going the way I want them to. I'm going to lie on the floor and scream my head off, because that way ice-cream will suddenly appear.
Do you think the players want to lose?
Booing might be helping you to relieve your frustration.
But for the love of Friday, stop trying to pretend that it's "motivational", and it helps.

With all due respect Mr M its there to let the players know we are really really not happy. Considering the abuse they get away from home they really should be able to take a bit of booing. Why do you think the fans do it.......I think the fans have been incredibly patient but even that has its limits. The question is if fans didnt boo, the likes of Stam and his players would carry on regardless and carry on and hope things get better, which was clearly evident. The fans showing their unhappiness adds a dimension, it adds that bit of pressure and makes them think more. Incidentally I watch Wales regularly.....All fans love all members of that Euro2016 squad but even we can see Gunter gets good protection from Joe Ledley and Joe Allen.......We get the impression Gunter thinks he's better than he is. He was woeful in some of the WC qualifiers.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Jan 2018 18:59

double d As a middle class club, should we not adopt the terribly middle class Barcelona approach of waving Hankies around.

Cushions on the pitch IMO. Very cheap at IKEA.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2018 19:04

With the utmost of respect to your post Ascot......JS seems to weather each storm....and cocks a deaf-ear to local opinion (booing).

I just hope that his ignorance proves us all wrong....but so far, he seems to be oblivious of what is obvious to most of us here.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2018 19:05

Stam played for Lazio and Milan.

Italian fans do not hesitate to show their displeasure at poor performances - which is putting it mildly. Lazio fans are fascist lunatics.

RFC fans are mostly middle class, jumper wearing, Mondeo drivers - and their kids. *

I refuse to believe that Jaap and the boys think some sarcastic songs and some booing (at the end of the game) is the height of unacceptable behaviour. We're not picking on individuals, booing substitutions or invading the pitch and abusing the players. Some perspective is required here.

* One of the reasons I like being a Reading fan. Apart from a few spotty herberts, we're actually quite a nice bunch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2018 19:06

I don’t think there’s a club in the country where the fans wouldn’t boo after our recent displays

No it’s not helpful. But it’s also not going to be a suprise to anyone when it happens

My feelings is that this was always going to happen sooner rather than later largely due to some of the silly digs Stam has made. A lot of people were waiting for him to slip up to let their feelings known about it. He has brought it on himself to be honest

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Jan 2018 19:12

And I don't get this constant criticism of Gunter - yes he's got his faults but if he was Bergomi he'd be playing for Milan.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2018 19:16

We’ve really been spoilt over the years, haven’t we

217 posts