The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Stevenage

by The Royal Forester » 08 Jan 2018 15:14

double d
Old Man Andrews
double d
We dont have reading fan tv do we? Jesus i need to see this

It is called something else but is essentially that. To be honest it isn't bad at all.

Send me a link. This I need to see.

I don't know how to link. Go to the offical website, into I follow and scroll down the video menu and you find "the Royal Exchange". You will need to subscribe to I follow to watch it, though.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Jan 2018 16:23

The Royal Forester
double d
Old Man Andrews
It is called something else but is essentially that. To be honest it isn't bad at all.

I don't know how to link. Go to the offical website, into I follow and scroll down the video menu and you find "the Royal Exchange". You will need to subscribe to I follow to watch it, though.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/ifollow/latest-videos/

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jan 2018 16:53

muirinho
Old Man Andrews I am all for differing opinions but some of the blind support for Stam is ridiculous. There are so many weak minded people on Twitter who will back Stam no matter what. Jaap could come round their houses and take a dump on their pillow and they'd still worship him.

Same usual supects too. People from STAR scared to upset the club, The Tilehurst End pertrifed to upset anyone by having an opinion just in case it means they won't get free stuff from the club and the same few Twitter Reading fans (everyone knows them) who will constantly moan about "people booing at away games". People boo because the manager is inept and embarassing as are the players. Grow up.

The whole club is a joke.

Club will still be here after Stam is gone. Whether he goes because he is pushed, or leaves under his own accord.

But for me, it's not the club that's a joke, it's some of its supporters.

I don't want my club to be one of those with hyprocitical supporters who demand loyalty from managers and players, but turn on them as soon as things aren't working, without giving them an opportunity to put stuff right.

I don't want my club to be one of those with supporters who think they are somehow entitled to success. And perfection. Not just winning, but winning in the "right" way. With players who will always make the right decisions, and never have an off day.

This isn't about Stam.

This is about the abuse Leigertwood, for instance, got, the year after his goal got us promoted, because some supporters decided he wasn't good enough any more. Hero to zero in a couple of months.

This is about "fans" audibly groaning if the ball isn't kicked long, but then audibly groaning if it does go long, and it isn't won. You have a player on the ball, with opposition players closing in, already under pressure because he doesn't have many options to pass to - and he's being jeered by his own supporters. How can anybody think that's helpful?

This is about #McDermottOut tweets barely a month after he'd started.

This is about people saying Clarke should leave, and then calling him a snake because he asked for permission to talk to another club

This is about fans claiming players aren't trying or don't care, when there is clear evidence that they very much do.

This is about fans who'll be smarming up to a player to get a selfie if they happened to meet them in Tescos, but will call them embarrassing, and giving it large from the safety of the stand if they make a mistake in a game. Because none of them have never made a mistake in their own work. Right.

I was at the West Brom FA Cup game at the Mad Stad when one of their supporters threw a coin that hit Chris Brunt, because he was so angry that his club lost to little old Reading. That guy had played hundreds of games for that club, and that's the way they rewarded his loyalty. Did they think he wanted to lose?

It's that kind of ignorant entitled childish behaviour that I hate. Sneering at players because they are talented, and work hard, and do something that the supporters aren't able to do, and as a result get a lot of money for it - somehow that means that the minute things go wrong, it's perfectly ok to abuse their character. Or boo them. Or throw things at them.

I don't want my club to be like that.

We want different things. We think different things are acceptable as supporters. Maybe you see that as "blind support". I don't. I give my reviews of games, and I'm not always kind. I question some players commitment, and skill. I criticise selections and tactics.

What I won't do is hurl abuse at my own team during an actual game.

Bad enough some of the stuff that gets chanted at opposition players. But to be doing it to your own? It's like booing yourself.

Maybe you ought to think of following another sport during the winter months.
Reading FC and it's fans are just like any other club and I would suggest that our fans are far from being vociferous when times are bad and a bit of booing from a few people at a game, after we have had home defeats to 2 of the bottom clubs in our division and then put up a negative performance against a moderate team from the 4th level, is hardly surprising.

We have had countless debates over the years about booing-it is what happens in the world of football and now and again happens at my club (oh, and yours of course but I claim seniority for watching them for longer and having paid out more money :wink: ).
The fact that it happens so little even after dreadful performances this season shows that our fans are not as bad as you and some others seem to delight in suggesting.they are.

As for Gunter and McShane, go and be brave enough to tell the manager that you feel that something different should be tried and don't go for the soft target of loyal Royals who have got the hump because you players and the manager are letting the side down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2018 17:47

FiNeRaIn
Maneki Neko have they been spoiled in comparison to Man UTDs or liverpools history? No. But then that's a daft comparison

Who is making that comparison other than you? We were being compared to everyone else in the top few divisions and we were ranked something like 39th or 40th. Even many teams below us in the football league have won the top division as well as the cups. On history alone we are absolutely tiny in the overall story of English football. So I ask what exactly have we been spoilt by? I don't consider 4 play-off final defeats and 3 years in the prem being spoilt, especially when you look at all the clubs around us and what they have achieved. We had a couple of years of good football and won a promotion under Coppell, that was as good as it got.

But that's comparing the entire history isn't it. It's not a measure of recent success. And who cares how successful we are to other clubs, most of us aren't going to switch.

Fact is, the last 15 years have been the best in our history. By miles.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Jan 2018 17:50

windermereROYAL
The Royal Forester
double d

WR, Thanks
DD. Let us know what you think of it, please

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2018 17:51

muirinho
Old Man Andrews I am all for differing opinions but some of the blind support for Stam is ridiculous. There are so many weak minded people on Twitter who will back Stam no matter what. Jaap could come round their houses and take a dump on their pillow and they'd still worship him.

Same usual supects too. People from STAR scared to upset the club, The Tilehurst End pertrifed to upset anyone by having an opinion just in case it means they won't get free stuff from the club and the same few Twitter Reading fans (everyone knows them) who will constantly moan about "people booing at away games". People boo because the manager is inept and embarassing as are the players. Grow up.

Club will still be here after Stam is gone. Whether he goes because he is pushed, or leaves under his own accord.

I don't want my club to be one of those with hyprocitical supporters who demand loyalty from managers and players, but turn on them as soon as things aren't working, without giving them an opportunity to put stuff right.

I don't want my club to be one of those with supporters who think they are somehow entitled to success. And perfection. Not just winning, but winning in the "right" way. With players who will always make the right decisions, and never have an off day.

This isn't about Stam.

This is about the abuse Leigertwood, for instance, got, the year after his goal got us promoted, because some supporters decided he wasn't good enough any more. Hero to zero in a couple of months.

This is about "fans" audibly groaning if the ball isn't kicked long, but then audibly groaning if it does go long, and it isn't won. You have a player on the ball, with opposition players closing in, already under pressure because he doesn't have many options to pass to - and he's being jeered by his own supporters. How can anybody think that's helpful?

This is about people saying Clarke should leave, and then calling him a snake because he asked for permission to talk to another club

This is about fans claiming players aren't trying or don't care, when there is clear evidence that they very much do.

This is about fans who'll be smarming up to a player to get a selfie if they happened to meet them in Tescos, but will call them embarrassing, and giving it large from the safety of the stand if they make a mistake in a game. Because none of them have never made a mistake in their own work. Right.

I was at the West Brom FA Cup game at the Mad Stad when one of their supporters threw a coin that hit Chris Brunt, because he was so angry that his club lost to little old Reading. That guy had played hundreds of games for that club, and that's the way they rewarded his loyalty. Did they think he wanted to lose?

It's that kind of ignorant entitled childish behaviour that I hate. Sneering at players because they are talented, and work hard, and do something that the supporters aren't able to do, and as a result get a lot of money for it - somehow that means that the minute things go wrong, it's perfectly ok to abuse their character. Or boo them. Or throw things at them.

We want different things. We think different things are acceptable as supporters. Maybe you see that as "blind support". I don't. I give my reviews of games, and I'm not always kind. I question some players commitment, and skill. I criticise selections and tactics.

Bad enough some of the stuff that gets chanted at opposition players. But to be doing it to your own? It's like booing yourself.

Hero.

RegularRoyal

by RegularRoyal » 08 Jan 2018 17:55

I missed my first home game (Birmingham) in several years. I was feeling a bit under the weather, but that hasn't stopped me from getting off my sick bed before. Instead, I listened to Tim and Mick in front of the first, and found myselft agreeing with most of what Tim and those on social media were complaining about.

I shall miss my 2nd home game of the season, as I simply cannot bring myself to spend a measly £10 for the replay, only to be served up another evening of utter drivel.

I'm sorry if that doesn't make me a "real" supporter in the eyes of others, but I want to leave games with my heart pumping from the excitement occasionally. I cannot remember that happening once during the Stam era. I still haven't left a game early, but I fear that's more from lethargy than anything else.

I would forgive the recent results if we'd been treated to a good, exciting game of football, and seen the players try their hardest, but when we've been served up a game that is so devoid of entertainment and excitement that it barely gets 10 seconds on the highlights program, I feel as if I have been mugged.

I can't blame the players, as they genuinely seem confused by how Stam wants them to play, or have had any individuality completely coached out of them.

To those fanatical (in the best sense of the word) supporters, I genuinely take my hat off to you, but if the dwindling attendances (Burton aside) are anything to go by, you may soon be the only supporters in the ground. And if the lack of noise coming from Y26 these days is anything to go by, a lot of those have lost faith or have already joined those not bothering to come any more.

On the subject of the Burton game, several thousand non-regulars or first timers took the generous offer of the club to come and see a game for a pittance. I wonder how many of those will come again!

When I think back to the Swansea play-off, yes, I came away disappointed that we lost, but still felt the excitement of the game, and was proud of the way the team went about trying to overturn a 3-0 deficit. I suspect a number of "fair-weather" supporters who went to that game, will have had their appetites whetted for more, and the club may have gained extra supporters as a result.

The Huddersfield game was a total embarassment, and it's just gone further downhill from that low point. Any "fair-weather" supporters who went to that game would certainly have been put off coming next season.

Reading is a great club with a good friendly atmosphere, and I always looked forward to home games. A few years ago, my daughter wasn't watching where she was going, and bumped into a Reading "yob", almost knocking him over. He turned round and appologised to her!!! Where else would that happen?

I'm sorry, but this great club is being ruined by Stam's tactics, and I can't wait to see him go now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2018 17:56

Old Man Andrews
genome lol, Old Man Andrews has been called out

https://twitter.com/BucksRoyal/status/9 ... 9254142976

He knows what he is. He is completely driven by gaining employment with Reading FC. He has seen his mate Wimb get a gig doing Reading Fan TV and wants in so badly it hurts.

You seem like you've got some sort of personal grudge to pick with him.

It's a bit sad.

double d

by double d » 08 Jan 2018 18:08

The Royal Forester
windermereROYAL
The Royal Forester I don't know how to link. Go to the offical website, into I follow and scroll down the video menu and you find "the Royal Exchange". You will need to subscribe to I follow to watch it, though.

WR, Thanks
DD. Let us know what you think of it, please

Decent

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Jan 2018 18:17

Snowflake Royal
FiNeRaIn
Maneki Neko have they been spoiled in comparison to Man UTDs or liverpools history? No. But then that's a daft comparison

Who is making that comparison other than you? We were being compared to everyone else in the top few divisions and we were ranked something like 39th or 40th. Even many teams below us in the football league have won the top division as well as the cups. On history alone we are absolutely tiny in the overall story of English football. So I ask what exactly have we been spoilt by? I don't consider 4 play-off final defeats and 3 years in the prem being spoilt, especially when you look at all the clubs around us and what they have achieved. We had a couple of years of good football and won a promotion under Coppell, that was as good as it got.

But that's comparing the entire history isn't it. It's not a measure of recent success. And who cares how successful we are to other clubs, most of us aren't going to switch.

They have, no one disputes that. But we haven't been "spoilt" by any stretch. Look at how many teams did what we did and didn't fail horribly right after brief success. Burnley, Leicester, Stoke, West Brom, Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace, Watford and Swansea are all teams who went up within or around the period we did and have stayed relevant and had good success. Some might yet fall back down to the championship but they've had good runs. We went up, finished 8 and were promptly relegated because of a lack of investment. The second time we went up the club did exactly the same thing and the rest is history. We've done well recently considering our history prior to Coppell but in the grand scheme of things and compared to many other clubs its really nothing to write home about. We have also probably got the worst playoff record in history, its what, 0/8 now? I'd call that long term suffering to be honest. We aren't as bad as a lot of clubs below us, we are not as good as many above us, certainly not spoilt.

Overall the last 15 years or so have been better than our previous existence but expectations along with pricing changes. We are battling relegation to league one after squandering around 15 million on players that should have cemented us in the playoffs this season, people have a right to complain about it. Factoring in a few Coppell years and telling people to stop complaining now because of what we did 10 years ago is kind of asinine.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jan 2018 18:28

0-6 in play offs FiNeRain. Agree with the gist of your post. As a club we did not break the mould.

The players are being a bit precious as are some of our fans. We are hardly the most passionate fan bases around. If the players can’t cope with a few boos then they need to get a grip. This is nothing compared to what they would receive at a lot of other clubs.

Perhaps all of this might kick start the season but considering the non performance against Stevenage that looks highly unlikely.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jan 2018 19:17

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
genome lol, Old Man Andrews has been called out

https://twitter.com/BucksRoyal/status/9 ... 9254142976

He knows what he is. He is completely driven by gaining employment with Reading FC. He has seen his mate Wimb get a gig doing Reading Fan TV and wants in so badly it hurts.

You seem like you've got some sort of personal grudge to pick with him.

It's a bit sad.

Snowflake is a very apt name for you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2018 19:39

FiNeRaIn
Snowflake Royal
FiNeRaIn

They have, no one disputes that. But we haven't been "spoilt" by any stretch. Look at how many teams did what we did and didn't fail horribly right after brief success. Burnley, Leicester, Stoke, West Brom, Bournemouth, Southampton, Palace, Watford and Swansea are all teams who went up within or around the period we did and have stayed relevant and had good success. Some might yet fall back down to the championship but they've had good runs. We went up, finished 8 and were promptly relegated because of a lack of investment. The second time we went up the club did exactly the same thing and the rest is history. We've done well recently considering our history prior to Coppell but in the grand scheme of things and compared to many other clubs its really nothing to write home about. We have also probably got the worst playoff record in history, its what, 0/8 now? I'd call that long term suffering to be honest. We aren't as bad as a lot of clubs below us, we are not as good as many above us, certainly not spoilt.

Overall the last 15 years or so have been better than our previous existence but expectations along with pricing changes. We are battling relegation to league one after squandering around 15 million on players that should have cemented us in the playoffs this season, people have a right to complain about it. Factoring in a few Coppell years and telling people to stop complaining now because of what we did 10 years ago is kind of asinine.

Seriously, if you can't feel spoilt after the Coppell, McDermott and Madejski years, I don't think Reading is the club for you. Because you will never, ever be happy.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 08 Jan 2018 19:41

Maneki Neko
muirinho

This isn't about Stam.

^THIS^ is a great post, and expresses exactly how I feel about the club and its support, as well as the concept of booing your own team.

if you want to send a message to the board and the management, send a sternly worded letter/email.

Coppell would have probably been sacked the season we bottled the playoffs in the current climate.
its still one of my proudest memories as a reading fan how, while other relegated clubs demanded and got their managers the sack, we protested to persuade him to stay. I was proud because we were different, we weren't like all those other clubs.
unfortunately, with the new owners, new management, and new fans I worry we are now exactly like all the other clubs.

I'm glad you enjoy the current rubbish served up, many don't ...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2018 19:41

What a silly response.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Jan 2018 19:45

Victor Meldrew
muirinho

This isn't about Stam.

Maybe you ought to think of following another sport during the winter months.
Reading FC and it's fans are just like any other club and I would suggest that our fans are far from being vociferous when times are bad and a bit of booing from a few people at a game, after we have had home defeats to 2 of the bottom clubs in our division and then put up a negative performance against a moderate team from the 4th level, is hardly surprising.

We have had countless debates over the years about booing-it is what happens in the world of football and now and again happens at my club (oh, and yours of course but I claim seniority for watching them for longer and having paid out more money :wink: ).
The fact that it happens so little even after dreadful performances this season shows that our fans are not as bad as you and some others seem to delight in suggesting.they are.

As for Gunter and McShane, go and be brave enough to tell the manager that you feel that something different should be tried and don't go for the soft target of loyal Royals who have got the hump because you players and the manager are letting the side down.

Thank you so much.....that is the perfect response to that post.
If he thinks we as fans are like other clubs he clearly doesn't know what other clubs are like.
There are no protests, action movements, directors being smuggled in and out of the ground, death threats etc.... We have to be one of the most civilized bunch of supporters in the country.
Let's go back to the last league game shall we.....away at Barnsley. 400 fans travel up in the freezing cold. Some of the fans decide to go down the front to see if they can get a shirt, all players and manager just go straight down the tunnel, have hearted applause from 2 players......how would you feel as a fan. I know how I would feel.
I was a kid watching Reading when Charlie Hurley was manager, believe me fans back then took losing far worse than today..and that's an understatement.

Incidentally I don't remember Leigertwood ever getting criticism or being boo'd. One of my favourite players ever for the club....always gave 100% even when not fit.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Jan 2018 19:53

Snowflake Royal
FiNeRaIn
Snowflake Royal But that's comparing the entire history isn't it. It's not a measure of recent success. And who cares how successful we are to other clubs, most of us aren't going to switch.

Seriously, if you can't feel spoilt after the Coppell, McDermott and Madejski years, I don't think Reading is the club for you. Because you will never, ever be happy.

You've completely missed the overall point haven't you?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jan 2018 19:58

Tilehurstsouthbank
double d
genome That's a cracking post, murinho

One of the best posts ever on here. I agree 100% with him

+3

It was a load of sentimental bollocks that didn’t actually say anything.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2018 20:10

It said plenty, you've just decided not to take it on board

217 posts