Madjeski and Howe

Old Man Andrews

Re: Madjeski and Howe

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 16:51

Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews On an unrelated issue I returned to my car after work today as saw Sir John powerwalking across the Madejski Stadium car park over by the indoor dome. He was wearing a full Reading FC tracksuit complete with Reading FC baseball cap.
He's in training, heard we need a striker so he's answering the call himself.

To be fair he probably is quicker over 10 yards than Yann.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2018 22:19

Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews
Royal Lady :lol: Charming!!

I was about in the days of the proposed Thames Valley Royals merger - no-one could have foretold that little scenario a few years previously. It is clear the Chinese are not interested in the football side of things, so what are they interested in?

Nobody knows what they are interested in, think that's the issue for a lot of supporters. Any sort of statement would be welcome, long overdue.

am I the only supporter who literally couldn't give a oxf*rd about our owners making statements about the club?

No. I'm with you.

And you know the same old crazies would be a) complaining about what they said within minutes if they did make a statement and b) be calling for another statement 3 weeks later

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2018 08:34

genome
Sutekh It's rumoured that Mr Yongge will be at the Brentford game on Saturday....

I think he's often at games.

How would your source know, anyway? Does he have access to Mr Yongge's diary?

Gourlay told JLow he would be

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jan 2018 08:35

genome
Sutekh It's rumoured that Mr Yongge will be at the Brentford game on Saturday....

BBC Berks alluded to it during their coverage of the last home game saying he's rarely been seen about the place.

I thought someone said his sister lieves over here and as co-owner you would think she'd be a reasonably regular to games.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Jan 2018 09:14

Sutekh
genome

BBC Berks alluded to it during their coverage of the last home game saying he's rarely been seen about the place.

I thought someone said his sister lieves over here and as co-owner you would think she'd be a reasonably regular to games.

Can hardly blame him for not making the trip over from China to see the current offerings.
I can barely be arsed to make the trip from Tilehurst.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 16 Jan 2018 09:44

Not surprised either - cracking little away day tbf*. Hopefully see him round the back of the Griffin for a pre-match pint and possibly a dangerously undercooked burger.

* In all honesty it's often the only away game I bother going to now that we don't regularly play QPR or Southampton.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jan 2018 09:45

BraisingsteakRoyal

Not surprised either - cracking little away day tbf*. Hopefully see him round the back of the Griffin for a pre-match pint and possibly a dangerously undercooked burger.

* In all honesty it's often the only away game I bother going to now that we don't regularly play QPR or Southampton.

We're at home you plonker

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 16 Jan 2018 09:51

John Smith
BraisingsteakRoyal

Hence why I said i'd hopefully see him round the back of the Griffin. It wasn't a given. :|

:lol:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jan 2018 09:56

BraisingsteakRoyal
John Smith
BraisingsteakRoyal

Hence why I said i'd hopefully see him round the back of the Griffin. It wasn't a given. :|

:lol:

What you do in your spare time is completely your choice but I'd rather not read about how you want to take a bloke round the back of a pub when I'm coming on here for light trolling, OK?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2018 20:30

Delboy These two were the backbone of all our success, I wonder what they would do with our current demise, Sack Stam for sure, back another pants day!
Oh how they are missed!

Weird actually... but whilst I desperately want Stam out I don't think JM would necessarily want but you're right I trust his opinion more than anyone elses. I can't think when he's ever been wrong.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jan 2018 10:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Delboy These two were the backbone of all our success, I wonder what they would do with our current demise, Sack Stam for sure, back another pants day!
Oh how they are missed!

Weird actually... but whilst I desperately want Stam out I don't think JM would necessarily want but you're right I trust his opinion more than anyone elses. I can't think when he's ever been wrong.

1. Sacking Mick and Jim
2. Appointing the taxi
3. Appointing Tommy Burns
4. Failure to invest when in the Premier League
5. The Russian with no money

and there's probably countless other occasions as well. However he got countless things right too but then he had nothing really to be judged against seeing as success for the club when he arrived would be to have a team capable of challenging for Division 2

The incumbents since JM sold up the first time do have expectation to live up to and have so far all failed miserably through, IMO, appointment of hopeless "tippy tappy" managers which rather suggests following trends rather than stepping back and taking time to think about appointments.

And I'd much rather have someone give JM the biggest sack of cash in the world and have him back over any of this lot.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Jan 2018 12:41

Apparently Howe and Gourlay really don’t get on. I guess I’m not surprised

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 22 Jan 2018 11:24

3points Apparently Howe and Gourlay really don’t get on. I guess I’m not surprised

That'll be because Howe knows how this football club should be run, and the ways which have brought us success.
And Gourlay thinks the answer is to throw money at the problem.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 22 Jan 2018 11:36

The club has died, at the request of the new breed of fan.

"Where's the money gone?"
"McDermott out"
"You should have paid through the nose for journeyman shite when we were in the premier league"

The logic of sacking McDermott (the first time) was absolutely non existent - and the second time was even worse. He got us promoted in the first year of a 3 year plan. We weren't ready to be promoted - most sensible people recognised that, and accepted we would probably be relegated immediately - understanding that by gaining the parachute payments, we could then invest a bit more in McDermotts team, and then give him a couple of years to be re-promoted.

The fact that morons started to boo and call for his head when the predictable losing streak in the Premier League started, shouldn't have affected the decision that Anton took. But it did - because Anton knew nothing about football, and thought these morons did.

But lets be very clear about this - the club died, because some of our moron fans (and I suspect these are new breed fans who have previously supported Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool) asked for (nay demanded!) it to fall on its arse......I suspect very few of these people reside on HNA, but I can't help feeling that unfortunately the rise in our profile, attracting glory hunters, ultimately has led to the death of the club I love.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Jan 2018 11:55

Caskeys Lovechild The club has died, at the request of the new breed of fan.

"Where's the money gone?"
"McDermott out"
"You should have paid through the nose for journeyman shite when we were in the premier league"

The logic of sacking McDermott (the first time) was absolutely non existent - and the second time was even worse. He got us promoted in the first year of a 3 year plan. We weren't ready to be promoted - most sensible people recognised that, and accepted we would probably be relegated immediately - understanding that by gaining the parachute payments, we could then invest a bit more in McDermotts team, and then give him a couple of years to be re-promoted.

The fact that morons started to boo and call for his head when the predictable losing streak in the Premier League started, shouldn't have affected the decision that Anton took. But it did - because Anton knew nothing about football, and thought these morons did.

But lets be very clear about this - the club died, because some of our moron fans (and I suspect these are new breed fans who have previously supported Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool) asked for (nay demanded!) it to fall on its arse......I suspect very few of these people reside on HNA, but I can't help feeling that unfortunately the rise in our profile, attracting glory hunters, ultimately has led to the death of the club I love.

LOL at supporting Reading when we were in the prem would be deemed as glory hunting - jumpin on the band wagon more fitting.
I see the sentiment though. But i feel its how a a lot of clubs are being run now, unless you have a football fan owner who just enjoys the game.
Our recent investors probably only looked at the last 10 seasons on paper and saw the oppurtunity. Not that over performing, commitment and dedication that bought the success, add in a few bargain buys and shrewd loans.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 23 Jan 2018 13:43

Coppells Lost Coat
LOL at supporting Reading when we were in the prem would be deemed as glory hunting - jumpin on the band wagon more fitting.
I see the sentiment though. But i feel its how a a lot of clubs are being run now, unless you have a football fan owner who just enjoys the game.
Our recent investors probably only looked at the last 10 seasons on paper and saw the oppurtunity. Not that over performing, commitment and dedication that bought the success, add in a few bargain buys and shrewd loans.

Well what else can you call it?

The "new breed" of Reading fan, who has historically supported Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Man City, dependent on which one happened to be winning the league at the time. These are the people who, in my opinion, infiltrated the support and started to make a sing and dance about money disappearing (not their f**ing money, so it has nothing to do with them) about sacking the man who had got us into the premier league way sooner than planned, about lack of investment - and they did so because their tiny little brains can't comprehend the idea that a club could be built on solid foundations, where the answer is not to throw money at every problem.

They came, they gave their opinion based on their experience of big football clubs and Football Manager, and then F***ed off again.

A conspiracy theorist would suggest that this was a ploy from the "big 4" and the diseased agents who surround them, to keep the "big 4" in power, and make sure nobody building a club the right way, could threaten their domination, or the existence of agents. Some would say Leicester were a simple diversion from this....

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Jan 2018 14:44

Caskeys Lovechild
Coppells Lost Coat

The "new breed" of Reading fan, who has historically supported Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Man City, dependent on which one happened to be winning the league at the time. These are the people who, in my opinion, infiltrated the support and started to make a sing and dance about money disappearing (not their f**ing money, so it has nothing to do with them) about sacking the man who had got us into the premier league way sooner than planned, about lack of investment - and they did so because their tiny little brains can't comprehend the idea that a club could be built on solid foundations, where the answer is not to throw money at every problem.

They came, they gave their opinion based on their experience of big football clubs and Football Manager, and then F***ed off again.

A conspiracy theorist would suggest that this was a ploy from the "big 4" and the diseased agents who surround them, to keep the "big 4" in power, and make sure nobody building a club the right way, could threaten their domination, or the existence of agents. Some would say Leicester were a simple diversion from this....

That's some conspiracy theory! :lol:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jan 2018 15:45

Caskeys Lovechild
Coppells Lost Coat

Do you suffer from psychosis?

under the tin

by under the tin » 23 Jan 2018 15:51

Caskeys Lovechild
Coppells Lost Coat

^^^^^
Not sure if serious, but here goes

Us pulling support away from the big franchises? :shock: What are you smoking?
New breed of fans? :shock: Try: new breed of Football Club
In the words of a song from that famous musical, "fings ain't wot they used to be"

Madejski came in, built brick on brick, and we finally ascended to the top flight.

ALL of us, JM included, then went on a steep learning curve, quickly realising that the view from the summit of English football ain't all it's cracked to be. The dice are loaded in favour of the big franchises, and we all quickly learned that the Premier League windfall is largely hoovered up in inflated player salaries/transfer fees, best player retention is extremely difficult, and new player recruitment even more so for a club of our size.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, and we all now know that JM sold out to the wrong people; but at the time, most were hoping for a future where our club could compete where we previously could not.

The fallout from the whole Zingarevitch debacle has hurt our club ever since, with a succession of managers recruited who were promised funds that could not be provided owing to the mismanagement of the club's finances, resulting in the onward sale to foreign owners who were solely interested in the surrounding real estate. The Thais saved the club from the brink, but at a price. Having gotten the land they wanted, they sold on to the current owners, whose motives behind their purchase we are all in the dark about.

None of the last 3 paragraphs have anything to do with toe rags booing from the terraces, (that was around in the 1970's as well), poor away support, visiting ManU or Chelsea fans, or the poor quality of beer on the concourses.

It's a mess originally created by TSI.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2018 16:30

LOL @ thinking the club is dead. There are so many more league clubs in a much worse state than us.

Changed does not = dead.