Madjeski and Howe

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Madjeski and Howe

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jan 2018 16:16

Old Man Andrews
Royal Lady :lol: Charming!!

I was about in the days of the proposed Thames Valley Royals merger - no-one could have foretold that little scenario a few years previously. It is clear the Chinese are not interested in the football side of things, so what are they interested in?

Nobody knows what they are interested in, think that's the issue for a lot of supporters. Any sort of statement would be welcome, long overdue.
I assumed they were looking to buy the club as something to promote themselves, similar to how Sir John Madejski used to operate but the fact they've not been seen or heard of does worry me, Maybe they're waiting for the club to be in the Premier League and Ron Gorlay is telling them everything is on track/no need to pop over?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 16:23

Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews

I was about in the days of the proposed Thames Valley Royals merger - no-one could have foretold that little scenario a few years previously. It is clear the Chinese are not interested in the football side of things, so what are they interested in?

Nobody knows what they are interested in, think that's the issue for a lot of supporters. Any sort of statement would be welcome, long overdue.
I assumed they were looking to buy the club as something to promote themselves, similar to how Sir John Madejski used to operate but the fact they've not been seen or heard of does worry me, Maybe they're waiting for the club to be in the Premier League and Ron Gorlay is telling them everything is on track/no need to pop over?

I have often wondered if they are being sent videos of the 05/06 season by Gourlay.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 10 Jan 2018 16:38

There is ONE Chinese owner - Dai Yongge.

We're told he owns a club in China that has been promoted to their equivalent of the PL and a club in Belgium where a couple of our lesser euro-talents are currently on loan. We believe he does attend matches here in person from time to time but he's clearly not big on making himself known around the place or promoting a piece of cake / can of energy drink / whatever.

China in general appears to want to make a mark on world football, possibly by hosting the World Cup in 2026 or 2030, and therefore money is being spent on gaining experience and expertise and, for some reason, the focus has been on the West Midlands where I think all four major clubs are now Chinese owned.

As mentioned above STAR has nominated the stadium as an Asset of Community Value but as also mentioned above the ACV doesn't do a lot other than give us six months warning of something fishy going on.

The economics of building an underground shopping centre in a methane-laced former rubbish dump you'd imagine would be questionable!

Fairly obviously there has been investment in the team over the summer but from what the club has said publicly we're not expecting much more in this window.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jan 2018 16:58

STAR Liaison We believe he does attend matches here in person from time to time but he's clearly not big on making himself known around the place or promoting a piece of cake / can of energy drink / whatever.
Maybe he's still perfecting his club song and wants to get it ready for the next time we play Leeds.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Jan 2018 11:51

Old Man Andrews

am I the only supporter who literally couldn't give a oxf*rd about our owners making statements about the club?

stanmoreroyal

by stanmoreroyal » 11 Jan 2018 16:03

I think it's indisputable that Sir John was primarily a fan. The fact he came to games, brought along celebrity friends, walked to Wembley with Yuri G etc.
When Brian M was promoted up to first team coach and manager it all felt like these were 'our' people, people who cared about each other, the fans and the town.
This link between owner/manager, fans and players seems broken. Jaap just seems incapable of calling a spade a spade. When we played quite well against Villa he said very much the same as after losing to Birmingham. It's grey cliches that amount to nothing.
What's happened to the scouting at the club. Shorey senior connected to the club through friendship and blood turned up Long and Doyle they cost virtually nothing and both sold for good profit.
Let's get some of those under 23's into the first team and clear out the journey men.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Jan 2018 19:56

stanmoreroyal I think it's indisputable that Sir John was primarily a fan.

He certainly wasn't when he first took us over :?: :| care to elaborate?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2018 20:06

Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews

am I the only supporter who literally couldn't give a oxf*rd about our owners making statements about the club?

Nope

I don’t think it’s particular useful to keep speculating about doomsday scenarios for the club. As said there are plenty of easier and less controversial ways to buy similar land if that’s what they wanted

I’m happy to accept they want the club as an ongoing concern and investment to add to their current portfolio.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jan 2018 20:44

Of course the club isn’t dying but it’s very depressing at the moment. I have supported the club for 45 years and never argued with another fan...until now. I have had a couple of arguments with other supporters at our last two home games. The atmosphere is dreadful with almost no singing and obviously a lot of booing.

There will be better times but I think this season should now be about just getting through to May and still being in the Championship.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Jan 2018 08:56

Just to be clear - I'm not saying we are going down the pan this season, or even next - but I can see it happening in the next few years. And anyone is not concerned now, may be rather surprised. I remember when there were only one or two of us who urged caution when Anton took over and look what happened there.....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2018 09:01

Ooh here come the I told you so's!

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 12 Jan 2018 10:15

if you yell "the sky is going to fall in" at every single thing that ever happens, eventually you will end up right.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 Jan 2018 08:54

No idea what the aims of our Chinese owner(s) are (beyond their public statements), but this is a good explainer/background piece from The Telegraph just over a year ago as to why SOME Chinese/foreign investors are buying clubs in Europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... p-to-30-m/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2018 13:44

It's rumoured that Mr Yongge will be at the Brentford game on Saturday....

Wonder if another insipid load of ******* and fans openly slating everything by half time (the few that do go of course) will have any effect on a possible change in management

Thought not.

Therefore we might as well all get behind the team from the off and drive them onto new highs for this season e.g. passing forwards and moving about a bit when not in possession

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Jan 2018 15:00

Sutekh It's rumoured that Mr Yongge will be at the Brentford game on Saturday....

Wonder if another insipid load of ******* and fans openly slating everything by half time (the few that do go of course) will have any effect on a possible change in management

Thought not.

Therefore we might as well all get behind the team from the off and drive them onto new highs for this season e.g. passing forwards and moving about a bit when not in possession

Genuinely believe fans away from home always have the intentions back the team from the start. The murmurings usually start after 30 mins after a bright start and then the rot comes back in after we don't score.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 15 Jan 2018 16:18

I'm pretty sure our Chinese owner (and entourage) have been to games recently and they may not like the fare served up in corporate. A couple of times now I've been out for my half time nicotine fix outside gates 1&2 and a big Merc S Class has pulled up and the driver proceeded to get 4 huge bags of Wagamammas (sp?) takeaway out of the boot.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 16:22

Sutekh It's rumoured that Mr Yongge will be at the Brentford game on Saturday....

I think he's often at games.

How would your source know, anyway? Does he have access to Mr Yongge's diary?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 16:36

On an unrelated issue I returned to my car after work today as saw Sir John powerwalking across the Madejski Stadium car park over by the indoor dome. He was wearing a full Reading FC tracksuit complete with Reading FC baseball cap.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2018 16:38

Old Man Andrews On an unrelated issue I returned to my car after work today as saw Sir John powerwalking across the Madejski Stadium car park over by the indoor dome. He was wearing a full Reading FC tracksuit complete with Reading FC baseball cap.
He's in training, heard we need a striker so he's answering the call himself.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 15 Jan 2018 16:45

Firmly believe SJM has the club at heart otherwise he wouldn't be around now ..