Moore or striker?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Moore or striker?

by Hound » 11 Jan 2018 19:30

Bear in mind that Norwich have just sold unproven in the prem Pritchard for 11m, there was 8m for Tom Ince, 5m for Scott Malone who was pretty average for Fulham, talking about 3m for Ryan Fredericks who has 6months of his contract left...plus many more

Anything below 8m would be a steal really in today’s market

Edit: apparently Pritchard is 14m. Which is just utterly ridiculous

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jan 2018 07:15

Hound Bear in mind that Norwich have just sold unproven in the prem Pritchard for 11m, there was 8m for Tom Ince, 5m for Scott Malone who was pretty average for Fulham, talking about 3m for Ryan Fredericks who has 6months of his contract left...plus many more

Anything below 8m would be a steal really in today’s market

Edit: apparently Pritchard is 14m. Which is just utterly ridiculous

£14m????????????????? That is a scandal.

Based on that evidence how can anyone say Moore isn't worth over £10m?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2018 07:57

Well if we are bringing in Martin on loan - that will do up front for the rest of the season. To buy a striker now will cost silly money, esp. if we want to get one in who is scoring regularly.

My view - Moore is going either now or in the summer so if a bid comes in now for upward of £10m take it then use that money to improve the defence as a whole. We have let in 2 goals in half our games with Moore in the back 4, so take the money and bring in a new LB and at least 1 new CB, poss 2 so we have 4 poss 5 CB's challenging for postion - with 5 we can even shift to 3 at the back with Wing Backs which could make us more solid yet more dangerous going forward.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Jan 2018 11:50

Old Man Andrews £14m for Pritchard????????????????? That is a scandal.

Based on that evidence how can anyone say Moore isn't worth over £10m?

Quite easily, really. First of all, it's apples and oranges anyway. Different player's, playing different position's. Pritchard has been highly regarded for a while now, and quite a few think Spurs should have kept him.

Anyway, re. Moore vs signing a striker, either one or the other, I'm not sure it has to come down to that. But if it did, I'd sign a striker. It's generally harder to find a striker than it is a central defender. And I think Moore, in general in here, is somewhat overrated. Which isn't to say I think he's no good. Not at all. He's easy on the eye, for sure. But we have conceded a lot of late goals from balls lumped in to our box. Moore hasn't won enough of those headers, imo, and/or wasn't always in the right position, and wasn't 'aggressive/take charge' enough. Bamba at Cardiff, for me, is probably a better defender in this league.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 13:57

John Smith
Woodcote Royal Striker, no brainer, but we could have got one for the £7m we paid for Aluko and used the more effective Popa on the wing.

Agreed we can't keep hold of Moore (and others, too, possibly) but what decent striker with more than 3 brain cells would want to come here over any Champ club still in with a chance of promotion?

Come to that, who in this squad is too good for Division One because that's where we are heading with Japp?

Everything compared to off loading Stam is irrelevant. I'd settle for that in this window and nothing else. Relegation would set us back years.

No it wouldn't. Look at Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, both Sheffields - they've all been there in recent years and come back stronger.

Plus people need to get off Aluko's back - he wasn't bought here purely to score goals

Whilst they were fortunate not every club is- just look in league one, league two or even the conference national for sides that have dropped out of the championship over the last few decades. We have a ok squad, we don’t need rebuilding we just need to improve in a few areas at best and get a new manager. Getting back into league one would be a disaster and will take several years to get back to where we are now as plenty of our players are good enough to attract premier league or high end championship clubs, and there’s no guarantee our owners will stay loyal-with the debt we’re in we could easily go bust. If you’re prepared for horrible years in league one, with the possibility of it getting even worse then fair enough, but I and a lot of other people are not.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 12 Jan 2018 14:03

Sell Moore, buy two strikers & an up and coming CB from the Lower leagues / PL academy.

Whats the going rate for Moore - £10m ?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Jan 2018 16:09

WIth the price of players going up so much, the importance of the academy has never been greater - If we can develop players that would other wise cost £10m plus then that's a great return on the investment.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2018 18:30

As a side-dish

Didn’t N Adkins play a lot of our yoof during those dark days of our financial implosion?

And to think....”we” slagged him off

May have had tangoed skin....but never got us into this situation....nor relegated by using them.

Look outside of the box Jaap

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2018 15:30

Woodcote Royal
John Smith
Woodcote Royal Striker, no brainer, but we could have got one for the £7m we paid for Aluko and used the more effective Popa on the wing.

Agreed we can't keep hold of Moore (and others, too, possibly) but what decent striker with more than 3 brain cells would want to come here over any Champ club still in with a chance of promotion?

Come to that, who in this squad is too good for Division One because that's where we are heading with Japp?

Everything compared to off loading Stam is irrelevant. I'd settle for that in this window and nothing else. Relegation would set us back years.

No it wouldn't. Look at Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, both Sheffields - they've all been there in recent years and come back stronger.

Plus people need to get off Aluko's back - he wasn't bought here purely to score goals

I'm not on Aluko's back, just those who elected to pay a record transfer for a player who was always going to be surplus to requirement when when the money should have been spent on the striker we so desperately required.

None of the clubs you mention would have chosen to sink to the 3rd tier and in our case it would mean losing most of the current squad, most of whom came here as a route to the top flight. Relegation would be an absolute disaster for this club.

To be honest, shifting highly paid players who have consistently failed would be no bad thing given our wages are some where in the region of 90%- 150% of our turnover. With the added benefit of receiving transfer fees for most of them. If we did lose most of the current squad it would sort out our finances no end. It's getting relegated and keeping the same squad that could be the real (financial) disaster. Like it was when we were relegated from the Prem and lumbered with the shite likes of Pogrebnyak.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Jan 2018 18:32

Snowflake Royal
Woodcote Royal
John Smith No it wouldn't. Look at Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, both Sheffields - they've all been there in recent years and come back stronger.

I'm not on Aluko's back, just those who elected to pay a record transfer for a player who was always going to be surplus to requirement when when the money should have been spent on the striker we so desperately required.

None of the clubs you mention would have chosen to sink to the 3rd tier and in our case it would mean losing most of the current squad, most of whom came here as a route to the top flight. Relegation would be an absolute disaster for this club.

To be honest, shifting highly paid players who have consistently failed would be no bad thing given our wages are some where in the region of 90%- 150% of our turnover. With the added benefit of receiving transfer fees for most of them. If we did lose most of the current squad it would sort out our finances no end. It's getting relegated and keeping the same squad that could be the real (financial) disaster. Like it was when we were relegated from the Prem and lumbered with the shite likes of Pogrebnyak.

You are clearly 40, with quite a good job/business understanding but oxf*rd all of a clue about football. Piss off back to the West Stand with your distant opinion and don’t come on here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2018 18:38

John Smith
Snowflake Royal
Woodcote Royal

You are clearly 40, with quite a good job/business understanding but oxf*rd all of a clue about football. Piss off back to the West Stand with your distant opinion and don’t come on here.

Wrong, right/wrong,wrong, East stand, right, no.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Jan 2018 19:51

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Snowflake Royal

Ok. Just oxf*rd off altogether then.

Cheers. Knobhead

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jan 2018 22:35

That we're in this position is absolutely ****ING ridiculous.

You mean to tell me Gourlay/Tevreden/SHtam blew all of their budget without any thought of a decent striker when one was available?

Well in fact yes that's what Gourlay said in the interview i.e. can't spend more because would go beyond fair play rules.

So much for club apologists' claim that they did try to buy but just failed.

This suggests an inherent problem with their vision and planning.

At least one of the three needs to go on this basis alone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2018 23:01

John Smith
Snowflake Royal
John Smith You are clearly 40, with quite a good job/business understanding but oxf*rd all of a clue about football. Piss off back to the West Stand with your distant opinion and don’t come on here.

Ok. Just oxf*rd off altogether then.

Cheers. Knobhead

Nice sig. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jan 2018 23:02

2 world wars, 1 world cup You mean to tell me Gourlay/Tevreden/SHtam blew all of their budget without any thought of a decent striker when one was available?

Can you not remember all the efforts we made to sign a second striker in the summer? Oliviera etc.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jan 2018 23:41

Snowflake Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup You mean to tell me Gourlay/Tevreden/SHtam blew all of their budget without any thought of a decent striker when one was available?

Can you not remember all the efforts we made to sign a second striker in the summer? Oliviera etc.

Effort is relative. Relative to the shit we ended up getting it wasn't enough.

But My point is: Let's just say we correctly spent 95% of all our energy and time and resources getting in a goal scorer and it just didn't happen for whatever reason. Why oh why are we in a position then that we now have to sell to buy a decent striker.... That we allegedly tried to get but just failed unluckily. The money should be sitting there ready to be used this window. Oh... It's not.... That's my point. Either we really didn't think it was *that* important or we did but just managed to f*** things up and waste all our funds and wage budget on Aluko et al leaving us impotent this window.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2018 09:11

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowflake Royal

Effort is relative. Relative to the shit we ended up getting it wasn't enough.

But My point is: Let's just say we correctly spent 95% of all our energy and time and resources getting in a goal scorer and it just didn't happen for whatever reason. Why oh why are we in a position then that we now have to sell to buy a decent striker.... That we allegedly tried to get but just failed unluckily. The money should be sitting there ready to be used this window. Oh... It's not.... That's my point. Either we really didn't think it was *that* important or we did but just managed to f*** things up and waste all our funds and wage budget on Aluko et al leaving us impotent this window.

There's enough to criticise the club about without twisting the facts, misrepresenting and / or exaggerating what happened.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jan 2018 12:40

Well he isn’t going to come out and say we’ve a shit load of money to spend on a new striker now is he?

I suspect if the right deal was there we’d find a way