Moore or striker?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Moore or striker?

by John Smith » 10 Jan 2018 16:54

Woodcote Royal Striker, no brainer, but we could have got one for the £7m we paid for Aluko and used the more effective Popa on the wing.

Agreed we can't keep hold of Moore (and others, too, possibly) but what decent striker with more than 3 brain cells would want to come here over any Champ club still in with a chance of promotion?

Come to that, who in this squad is too good for Division One because that's where we are heading with Japp?

Everything compared to off loading Stam is irrelevant. I'd settle for that in this window and nothing else. Relegation would set us back years.

No it wouldn't. Look at Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, both Sheffields - they've all been there in recent years and come back stronger.

Plus people need to get off Aluko's back - he wasn't bought here purely to score goals

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Jan 2018 18:16

Keep Moore.

We need a left back more than a striker.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 19:12

Woodcote Royal
Winston Biscuit
Old Man Andrews
Yes. What were you hoping to see?

maybe I am out of touch with football transfer fee's, but I assumed a defender in a team struggling to avoid the drop down to the 3rd tier might go for a bit less than £12M

Not long ago that would have been the case but from what we've seen so far this season all bets are off, especially if West Ham are involved.

Remember, in 1966 they won the World Cup and since that day all rules are for the rest of us to adhere to and them to ignore.

So taking them to the cleaners and back for Moores signature would be the highlight of our cr@p season :P

I'd keep a close eye on Southampton. They need a defender or two and they have the Van Dijk money to burn. Knowing we want McQueen they could use him a a sweetener.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Jan 2018 19:42

We need another midfielder, especially one of the wide ones. You can never have enough of those.....I love em......

Seriously though if we get 12 mill I bet we only spend 2 on a player who was once a great prospect but is now bang average and will be benched for the rest of his Reading career.

double d

by double d » 10 Jan 2018 21:16

Sutekh 12m is not entirely impossible given some of the idiots running clubs in the PL but it much more likely that if it happens it will nearly, if not, be deadline day and the figure will be undisclosed but thought to be in the region of some paltry amount in fan’s eyes. If it is an amzing sum we’ll all be told that it’s nowhere near that and its just the media including wages, addons and all that irrelevant stuff.

Reading will then be linked with all manner if players but eventually buy the current Dutch version of Elroy Kromheer next summer.

The striker search will remain ongoing into 2020 and beyond

Jaap will retire from management before he leaves Reading but he’ll have a nice flat in REP

Isn't the current Dutch version of Elroy Kromheer still Elroy Kromheer?

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 11 Jan 2018 02:28

Keep Moore, if we really start to let more goals in we could be in real trouble

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Jan 2018 08:23

Likely to get more money for him in this window, given he is likely to leave in 6 months anyway may be better selling him now subject to a suitable offer?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2018 08:32

not actually heard anything particularly concrete about anyone wanting him anyway

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 11 Jan 2018 08:43

I don't think Moore will be leaving. I think he is one of the players who has bought into this '3 year plan' only last season saying it was nice to be settled somewhere. Selling Moore would be the last thing I would do this window, would rather keep the squad we have than sell Moore and acquire 3 or 4 average players.

I don't think people really appreciate how good he is, and with no discriminatory intent, he's a real Reading type player - young English passionate and a warrior would be a real shame to loose him especially under the contract he's on

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jan 2018 08:44

I would want Ross McCormack to come in as the striker

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2018 08:48

Theroyalbox I don't think Moore will be leaving. I think he is one of the players who has bought into this '3 year plan' only last season saying it was nice to be settled somewhere. Selling Moore would be the last thing I would do this window, would rather keep the squad we have than sell Moore and acquire 3 or 4 average players.

I don't think people really appreciate how good he is, and with no discriminatory intent, he's a real Reading type player - young English passionate and a warrior would be a real shame to loose him especially under the contract he's on

If you just go from body language alone then I would say Moore has had enough and doesn't buy into the 3 year plan, not anymore anyway. He is full of ambition and must want more than he is currently getting. Only thing that might keep him here is the playing style we have. He is on the ball a lot and is a key part of team in terms of starting attacks and clearly he is the best defender too. Would he want to go to a West Ham or West Brom and be a squad player? Not sure he would,

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 11 Jan 2018 08:58

Old Man Andrews
Theroyalbox I don't think Moore will be leaving. I think he is one of the players who has bought into this '3 year plan' only last season saying it was nice to be settled somewhere. Selling Moore would be the last thing I would do this window, would rather keep the squad we have than sell Moore and acquire 3 or 4 average players.

If you just go from body language alone then I would say Moore has had enough and doesn't buy into the 3 year plan, not anymore anyway. He is full of ambition and must want more than he is currently getting. Only thing that might keep him here is the playing style we have. He is on the ball a lot and is a key part of team in terms of starting attacks and clearly he is the best defender too. Would he want to go to a West Ham or West Brom and be a squad player? Not sure he would,

that's the exact reason he left Leicester because he was a squad player. Essentially I think Reading don't need to let Moore go, and he wouldn't be too unhappy to stay so why is Gourley spouting sh!te again. Probably should go in the Gourlay out thread but his interviews are absolutely terrible.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 11 Jan 2018 09:45

We can no way afford to let Moore go we are bad enough at the back as it is .

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jan 2018 09:54

Yeah, Moore pushed and pushed for a move to us from Leicester because he needed game time and didn't want to sit on the bench anymore. It wouldn't make much sense for him to spend a year and a half with us and then go back to warming the bench. I imagine if he does move then the buying club will give him guarantees.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jan 2018 11:07

John Smith I would want Ross McCormack to come in as the striker

12 goals in 14 for Melbourne City.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 11 Jan 2018 13:17

John Smith
Woodcote Royal Striker, no brainer, but we could have got one for the £7m we paid for Aluko and used the more effective Popa on the wing.

Agreed we can't keep hold of Moore (and others, too, possibly) but what decent striker with more than 3 brain cells would want to come here over any Champ club still in with a chance of promotion?

Come to that, who in this squad is too good for Division One because that's where we are heading with Japp?

Everything compared to off loading Stam is irrelevant. I'd settle for that in this window and nothing else. Relegation would set us back years.

No it wouldn't. Look at Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, both Sheffields - they've all been there in recent years and come back stronger.

Plus people need to get off Aluko's back - he wasn't bought here purely to score goals

I'm not on Aluko's back, just those who elected to pay a record transfer for a player who was always going to be surplus to requirement when when the money should have been spent on the striker we so desperately required.

None of the clubs you mention would have chosen to sink to the 3rd tier and in our case it would mean losing most of the current squad, most of whom came here as a route to the top flight. Relegation would be an absolute disaster for this club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 11 Jan 2018 13:47

"we cant get any of the players we actually wanted/needed....oxf*rd it, lets splurge daft money on a player we don't need to appease the fans"

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Jan 2018 18:05

John Smith I would want Ross McCormack to come in as the striker

He would be an immense signing and the management might actually get me back onside briefly.....sadly not gonna happen

ROYALJOE

by ROYALJOE » 11 Jan 2018 18:41

Keep Moore, we need him. We need a striker but can go for a youngster in the lower leagues, Le Fondre worked out well somone like him.

And where is Joseph Mendes? he was decent the few games he played last season. Deniss Rakels is out on loan why not get him back? I would of kept Samuel also and Fosu but that's another question.

Stam needs to sort out his squad, we have some quality players wasted on the bench. Popa needs to play! and Swift and Kelly need to play more and give the youngster more chance. Hes made so many error this season! Stam Out!!! :x

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2018 19:01

Old Man Andrews I don't think we can keep hold of Moore to be honest and nor should we. He is far better than us and a relegation battle in the Championship. He is a Premier League defender in my eyes and could easily get into any of the mid-table sides.

If we had an offer over £12m or over the club will not say no, they can't in their position.

"any of the mid-table sides"-really?
I like Moore and his attitude to defending where he is prepared to put his body on the line to block the ball but anything over £4 million would probably be top whack.
The player is unproven in the Premier League and is not the biggest in a league where central defenders are normally some inches over 6 feet tall.
Unfortunately however I do feel like everybody else that the judgement of our club lately when spending millions is dreadful (Aluko, Bod,Blackett etc) so the money would probably be wasted if we were to sell him.

We need a striker but those associated currently in buying players just can't be trusted so we might as well keep him for his uses in the relegation battle ahead.