Please get our transfer business completed in swift fashion!!!

Crowbar6753

Please get our transfer business completed in swift fashion!!!

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Jan 2018 21:27

Why do teams always wait until the last minute (Deadline Day) to complete their transfer business? we know what we need, and i'm assuming that a list of players has been drawn up and handed to our DoF, as well as players we would like to off load. I understand offloading players is out of our control and dependent on buying teams, but if we do have a small transfer kitty, then why not strike whilst the irons hot and get business completed early and lets not waste another 3 weeks dithering around seeing what every other club is doing.

Rumor has it we were after Wilson (I think) from Man.Utd, and now he's gone already, will the same happen with Bradshaw? The team needs a spark and some fresh blood, lets get this done ASAP instead of wasting time.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Please get our transfer business completed in swift fashion!!!

by Jagermesiter1871 » 10 Jan 2018 22:12

lol @ you thinking anything is going to get down swiftly. This season has been a shambles from the moment Moore blasted his shot over the bar at Wembley.

If we sign anyone at all it will be a panic buy on the final day for a winger who its rumoured once played as a striker when he was in the Ajax academy.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 10 Jan 2018 22:30

You are talking rubbish. Everything goes to the deadline day as all the teams selling have to buy replacements etc. etc. you also have the loan market. You can't pin Sky's transfer deadline day extravaganza on Reading however bad we're playing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jan 2018 08:52

I don't think we have had a busy deadline day in a few windows. We usually get all of our business done before. :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2018 09:24

Crowbar6753 Why do teams always wait until the last minute (Deadline Day) to complete their transfer business? we know what we need, and i'm assuming that a list of players has been drawn up and handed to our DoF, as well as players we would like to off load. I understand offloading players is out of our control and dependent on buying teams, but if we do have a small transfer kitty, then why not strike whilst the irons hot and get business completed early and lets not waste another 3 weeks dithering around seeing what every other club is doing.

Rumor has it we were after Wilson (I think) from Man.Utd, and now he's gone already, will the same happen with Bradshaw? The team needs a spark and some fresh blood, lets get this done ASAP instead of wasting time.

It's about negotiation, sounding out options, getting value in a ridiculously inflated market, seeing who becomes available based on who moves.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2018 09:28

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 Why do teams always wait until the last minute (Deadline Day) to complete their transfer business? we know what we need, and i'm assuming that a list of players has been drawn up and handed to our DoF, as well as players we would like to off load. I understand offloading players is out of our control and dependent on buying teams, but if we do have a small transfer kitty, then why not strike whilst the irons hot and get business completed early and lets not waste another 3 weeks dithering around seeing what every other club is doing.

It's about negotiation, sounding out options, getting value in a ridiculously inflated market, seeing who becomes available based on who moves.

Purely based on our situation I would say Reading may be inclined to wait and see where we near to Deadline Day. If we win our next 3 games and have crept up to midtable the panic will have eased somewhat. We can't realisitically make a push for the playoffs and we would be a lot safer from relegation. Can't see us investing in circumstances when there is nothing to play for, may as well hold off until summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2018 09:33

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal

Purely based on our situation I would say Reading may be inclined to wait and see where we near to Deadline Day. If we win our next 3 games and have crept up to midtable the panic will have eased somewhat. We can't realisitically make a push for the playoffs and we would be a lot safer from relegation. Can't see us investing in circumstances when there is nothing to play for, may as well hold off until summer.

Yeah. I suspect our finances are exceptionally squeezed - I can't see how we've cut our wage bill much over the last couple of years and it was above our turnover when we had parachute payments.

We've got to stop paying top dollar for mediocrity.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2018 09:56

Snowflake Royal We've got to stop paying top dollar for mediocrity.

This is the crux isn't it? If we do have one of the highest wage bills in the division, theres a lot of questions that should be answered.

As I said on another thread, we wouldn't lose anything by trying to sell or move on Beerens, Mendes, Quinn, Harriott and Popa, and should be looking to loan out at least some of Kelly, Evans, Blackett and Smith (with recall clauses where nec)

The lads knocking about the U23s are good enough and probably more match fit to cover the squad - i.e. Osho, Rinomhota, Holsgrove.

Some of the extended contracts we've given to the likes of Kelly, Joey and McShane looking decidedly poor business at the moment

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2018 10:00

Hound
Snowflake Royal We've got to stop paying top dollar for mediocrity.

This is the crux isn't it? If we do have one of the highest wage bills in the division, theres a lot of questions that should be answered.

As I said on another thread, we wouldn't lose anything by trying to sell or move on Beerens, Mendes, Quinn, Harriott and Popa, and should be looking to loan out at least some of Kelly, Evans, Blackett and Smith (with recall clauses where nec)

The lads knocking about the U23s are good enough and probably more match fit to cover the squad - i.e. Osho, Rinomhota, Holsgrove.

Some of the extended contracts we've given to the likes of Kelly, Joey and McShane looking decidedly poor business at the moment

The worst extrension of the lot was Yann. I can't think of many clubs who would give an extension willy nilly to a player of that age after a fairly serious injury. Surely you'd just sit him down discuss the possibility of extending based on his performance levels and fitness. Big risk to blindly offer a deal to a player who wanted to retire and had a bad injury for palyer of his age.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Jan 2018 10:00

Hendo I don't think we have had a busy deadline day in a few windows. We usually get all of our business done before. :|

Remember how excited everyone was when we signed Vydra, Piazon, and John on deadline day? Seems a long time ago...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jan 2018 10:03

genome
Hendo I don't think we have had a busy deadline day in a few windows. We usually get all of our business done before. :|

Remember how excited everyone was when we signed Vydra, Piazon, and John on deadline day? Seems a long time ago...

That was probably the last deadline day something meaningful happened and on paper it looked like great business. Shame it didn't work out that way but thats football for you, sometimes things just don't work out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2018 13:50

Won't matter for Reading. Perhaps a couple of loan deals in and couple loaned out. Unless Moore gets sold there won't be any major deals happening inwards.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 11 Jan 2018 14:13

I'm not sure the squad is lacking in ability, it's more a question of application and management style, sorry to bring it back to that ...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Jan 2018 14:15

The easiest way to get the transfer business completed swiftly is to not sign or sell anyone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2018 14:17

Longhorn1970 I'm not sure the squad is lacking in ability, it's more a question of application and management style, sorry to bring it back to that ...

yep. I'd only bring in a loan striker and maybe a good lb on loan if available (but not even that bothered by that)

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 11 Jan 2018 14:18

Sutekh Won't matter for Reading. Perhaps a couple of loan deals in and couple loaned out. Unless Moore gets sold there won't be any major deals happening inwards.

Absolutely this

So move on, don't get excited and close the thread.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2018 14:19

I think there is a strong chance we will get Martin in on loan. And if we do, then we should aim to do it asap

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 11 Jan 2018 14:20

Forbury Lion The easiest way to get the transfer business completed swiftly is to not sign or sell anyone.

Best use of funds, if there are any, is to pay up Stam's contract ..

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 11 Jan 2018 18:13

If you were the owners would you trust Stam with a single shiny penny of your own money?

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 11 Jan 2018 18:33

Muskrat If you were the owners would you trust Stam with a single shiny penny of your own money?

Gone are the days when managers had any involvement in transfer dealings