BFTG ‘Ull (A)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG ‘Ull (A)

by Hound » 15 Jan 2018 06:30

Wolves were excellent, no doubts about that. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

Most other teams - I don’t think there is a huge amount between them, a lot depends on confidence, momentum etc

We do have a tendency to make other teams look poor. I suspect because they are happy to sit back against us

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 Jan 2018 07:47

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 15 Jan 2018 08:44

Mid Sussex Royal The performance was nowhere near as bad as some on here are saying, but I guess the 8 pages of nonsense on the match page is based on what they heard from Low and Dellor.

We were on top for the first 20 mins and nearly scored and then we lose 2 key players in quick succession which did affect the rest of the game but that is not a complete surprise.

The priority was to keep it tight and not to lose which is what happened.

Going back to Dellor my mate text me at half time and he said something about Swift feigning injury before he went off? Is that true? Dellor should be sacked, he's a complete joke.

He didnt.

What he was annoyed about was Swift, who was hobbling and obviously injured, going down to the ground just as we had a promising attack going forward, forcing us to put the ball out and giving the ball back to Hull.

I like Dellor/Gooding commentaries - he has a fans passion about the club and he always has Mick Gooding to add some sense of perspective

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2018 08:49

Fairly drab game that we may have just about edged - won enough decent headers from corners to have done better with one of them. Still not quite sure how Moore managed not to score with a free header 5 yards out. Vito made a couple of decent saves at the other end. Their "goal" was rightly disallowed.

Slightly worrying that we seemed to resort to all out panic for the last 5 mins or so but in the context of the season, a point away to a team below us isn't too bad. Need to actually win a home game on a Saturday now.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jan 2018 09:53

Hound Wolves were excellent, no doubts about that. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

They were the best team we have played all season but I still wasn't overly impressed with them, especially their defense. We matched them blow for blow for the majority of that game and were unlucky to come away with nothing. Could've easily been 2-0 up within 10 minutes.

I seem to remember reading a lot of comments from Wolves fans who thought that they did well to come out of the game with a win and it could've easily been a draw.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 15 Jan 2018 09:59

leon
AthleticoSpizz I think that he’s too much of a fan.

Rather listen to TD than the alternative.

This. TD wants us to win. He’s a Reading fan. So is Adie Williams.

They get a load of stick from dickheads who want impartial non emotional reporting.

Bollocks to that.

Second that

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 09:59

leon

They get a load of stick from dickheads who want impartial non emotional reporting.

Bollocks to that.

I like Dellor. I think if the team played decent football and actually went out to win games he would have less time to give his opinions on things which isn't really his job during a game. If there is no action to commentate on then what else can he do?

Only thing I will say about him is he is a bit of a bottle job when it comes to Stam in the post game interviews. He needs to start really going for him and pinning him down on his failings rather than letting him off the hook.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jan 2018 10:43

Hendo
Hound Wolves were excellent, no doubts about that. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

They were the best team we have played all season but I still wasn't overly impressed with them, especially their defense. We matched them blow for blow for the majority of that game and were unlucky to come away with nothing. Could've easily been 2-0 up within 10 minutes.

I seem to remember reading a lot of comments from Wolves fans who thought that they did well to come out of the game with a win and it could've easily been a draw.

That is true, but at the time we were flying, and we played well ourselves in the game - and they managed to still achieve a 2-0 win away from home.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Jan 2018 11:04

Was Stam interviewed after the game and, if so, what gems did he come out with this time?

On the point of this year's standard in the division it is very difficult to compare any year to another.
Last year it felt poor with moderate but efficient sides like Huddersfield and Brighton getting promoted and Newcastle were a shadow of the team promoted when Andy Carroll was playing up front.
Although I hate to say it , Bournemouth played decent attacking football when they went up.

This season Bristol City have looked in cup games a progressive attacking side capable at times of playing at the higher level, Derby are what they always are and Wolves look better in most games than they were at our place.
Otherwise it is the same old division where results have to be ground out each week, most teams capable of beating each other but also inconsistent .

I'm not sure if I actually like this division-too many teams frightened of taking a chance and glad to "nick a goal"-how I hate that expression often used by managers-and best summed up by a team like Ipswich.
A club that has seen better days,is quite well supported but because of financial mismanagement now have a team of triers who have failed elsewhere, often not quite good enough at Premier League clubs, combined with players from the youth team cobbled together by a good organiser of a manager and neither in danger of being promoted nor relegated winning enough games each season.

I don't think the standard is any better or worse than in most years but whereas the pundits and TV people do their best to hype the product of The Championship IMHO it is one of the dullest divisions around, not just in this but in most years.

Seeing Bournemouth beat Arsenal yesterday it reminded me of that first season in the Premier League and although I appreciate what a good season that was it is still such a shame that all those associated with the club wouldn't (or couldn't) do more to have kept us at that level especially in the knowledge that mega money for all was just around the corner.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 15 Jan 2018 11:10

Victor Meldrew Bournemouth played decent attacking football when they went up.

So did Watford.
Last year's playoffs is indicative of the quality of the division at the moment. i.e it is insipid. The Championship used to be one of the most exciting leagues in the world, but its full of teams that have accepted their fate nowadays. Very few teams are pointing in the right direction. As the linked Hull write up proves, we arent the only fans in the division struggling to make a connection with their team.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 15 Jan 2018 15:36

leon

Bollocks to that.

+1 even though I don't agree with Dellor's style of commentary sometimes he's undeniably a Reading fan. I don't want David Prutton or god forbid Don Goodman telling me how much they don't rate Reading.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Jan 2018 15:48

Royal With Cheese
leon

Bollocks to that.

+1 even though I don't agree with Dellor's style of commentary sometimes he's undeniably a Reading fan. I don't want David Prutton or god forbid Don Goodman telling me how much they don't rate Reading.

Ah Don Goodman, what a character.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jan 2018 16:44

Silver Fox
Mid Sussex Royal Going back to Dellor my mate text me at half time and he said something about Swift feigning injury before he went off? Is that true? Dellor should be sacked, he's a complete joke.

When Swift was already going to be subbed we started going forward and Dellor berated the hamstringless Swift for not pegging it down in support of his m8s. He might have referred to Swift's decision as rank stupidity or something. Either way he’s an absolute chump and more of a reason to not listen to away games than the disappointing performances.

I believe Mick Gooding (once again) picked him up on his stupidity in this instance.

As I've mentioned previously, Dellor is far too ready and quick to pick on certain players, particularly those more skillful players who don't tend to subscribe to his favoured 'wear your heart on your sleeve and run yourself into the ground at all times, throw in challenges mindful of the good old 70s, etc.' He's never short of a scapegoat or two and his treatment of Vydra definitely tipped into the obsessive.

I reckon if he wasn't commentating for BBCRB he would be one of the ring leaders amongst the boo boys.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2018 16:58

Likewise his hero worship of Gunter.

He's just a daft little fan boy.

It's perfectly possible to combine objectivity and intelligence with reasonable partisanship and convey excitement.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Jan 2018 17:28

Platypuss A worthwhile read.

http://www.ambernectar.org/blog/2018/01/report-city-0-reading-0/

Hull City = Reading FC

Indeed, fair review of the game and Hull as a club.....Apart from the bit on the disallowed goal. On that, was lovely to see David Prutton and Chris Powell don’t know the laws. On Sky highlights show both concluded it was ‘harsh’ on Hull and Vito only had ‘one hand’ on it...... :twisted:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Jan 2018 17:53

Hound
Hendo

That is true, but at the time we were flying, and we played well ourselves in the game - and they managed to still achieve a 2-0 win away from home.

Wolves have match winners in their team. We currently have none.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 15 Jan 2018 18:09

Lower West
Hound
Hendo

Wolves have match winners in their team. We currently have none.

I couldn't name one of the wolves squad myself but from the very little I've seen of them they don't dilly dally on the ball nor do they bore the life out their fans trying to play like Ajax ...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Jan 2018 18:13

Snowflake Royal Likewise his hero worship of Gunter.

He's just a daft little fan boy.

It's perfectly possible to combine objectivity and intelligence with reasonable partisanship and convey excitement.
and all that from one of his most avid listeners :lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Jan 2018 18:29

Dellor should be commentating on cricket not football. I suspect he started taking an interest in football in the 1990’s when it became fashionable to do so.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 15 Jan 2018 18:35

Zip Dellor should be commentating on cricket not football. I suspect he started taking an interest in football in the 1990’s when it became fashionable to do so.

Personally I'd like 'Country Royal' to do the commentary and post match interview, can we make that happen ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: