MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

188 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 10:16

genome Just noticed they aren't opening the North or Upper West for this, and it's unreserved seating

I saw over the weekend just over 2000 home tickets sold. Not sure how reliable that source is but if true it's a new low.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 10:21

Old Man Andrews
genome Just noticed they aren't opening the North or Upper West for this, and it's unreserved seating

I saw over the weekend just over 2000 home tickets sold. Not sure how reliable that source is but if true it's a new low.

I think it will probably struggle to break 10k, definitely.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 15 Jan 2018 11:03

Whats the ticket price for this one? Pay on the Day if I rock up at 730?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 11:05

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Whats the ticket price for this one? Pay on the Day if I rock up at 730?

£10 today, £15 on match day

cornflake

by cornflake » 15 Jan 2018 11:07

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Whats the ticket price for this one? Pay on the Day if I rock up at 730?

£15 adult
£10 under 24
£10 over 65
£5 under 17

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 15 Jan 2018 11:11

Cheers, was rather hoping itd be a fiver. A tenner is a considered purchase. 15 is a no.
LOL. 15.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2018 12:04

genome
Snowflake Royal Let's face it, progressing in the cup isn't a big deal for us right now, so I'd be tempted to try some heavy experimentation and rotation to try to see if anyone currently on the fringes is ready to step up and maybe test a different shape.

....................Jaakkola
.............Ilori, Moore, Osho
Gunter.......Holsgrove......Richards
...............Bacuna....Evans
............Bodvarsson..Loader

Mannone, Blackett, Clement, Popa, Kelly, Kermorgant, Barrow

Or something like that... not sure who is on loan, who is injured and who isn't, but the likes of Andresson, East, Frost, Smith, plus those above and so on should be in the mix for about three Academy places in the starting eleven. Bring a bit of youthful exuberance, energy, determination etc. Still pretty experienced spine.

The first team sorely needs a win - he should play them all.

They do. But will beating League 2 Stevenage in the cup give them much of a boost? Even by 2/3/4 goals?

I don't think so. And losing, which is quite possible right now, could do a lot more damage to confidence than winning could help it.

If we play a reserve side and get beat, the blame falls squarely on the manager - protecting the players. A failure by those on the fringes also kills some of the fan discontent that other players aren't getting enough of a look in. Good performances and a win earns a run in the first team squad XI.

Appreciate others may disagree. I just feel we need to be trying anything to mitigate damage and find a strong positive.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 12:08

Whats your idea of hell?

Mine is currently being played out live on the Get Reading Facebook page with Jonathon "Son of Sutcliffe" Low and the Bushwatch guy talking about tomorrows game and Reading's season.

Just awful, awful and awful.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 12:10

Snowflake Royal
genome
Snowflake Royal Let's face it, progressing in the cup isn't a big deal for us right now, so I'd be tempted to try some heavy experimentation and rotation to try to see if anyone currently on the fringes is ready to step up and maybe test a different shape.

....................Jaakkola
.............Ilori, Moore, Osho
Gunter.......Holsgrove......Richards
...............Bacuna....Evans
............Bodvarsson..Loader

Mannone, Blackett, Clement, Popa, Kelly, Kermorgant, Barrow

Or something like that... not sure who is on loan, who is injured and who isn't, but the likes of Andresson, East, Frost, Smith, plus those above and so on should be in the mix for about three Academy places in the starting eleven. Bring a bit of youthful exuberance, energy, determination etc. Still pretty experienced spine.

They do. But will beating League 2 Stevenage in the cup give them much of a boost? Even by 2/3/4 goals?

I don't think so. And losing, which is quite possible right now, could do a lot more damage to confidence than winning could help it.

If we play a reserve side and get beat, the blame falls squarely on the manager - protecting the players. A failure by those on the fringes also kills some of the fan discontent that other players aren't getting enough of a look in. Good performances and a win earns a run in the first team squad XI.

Appreciate others may disagree. I just feel we need to be trying anything to mitigate damage and find a strong positive.

I take your points but, if the team/manager takes that mentality (your bolded sentence) then they will never get out of this situation. If our first team can't beat a League Two side at home then the problems run deeper than just confidence.

I say play them. Any win would be good for them right now.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Jan 2018 12:10

Old Man Andrews Whats your idea of hell?

Mine is currently being played out live on the Get Reading Facebook page with Jonathon "Son of Sutcliffe" Low and the Bushwatch guy talking about tomorrows game and Reading's season.

Congratulations on your first good post since joining.

That Bushwatch bloke is so embarrassing and his little joke is boring now.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 12:11

John Smith

He's harmless fun. Lighten up...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 12:14

genome
John Smith

He's harmless fun. Lighten up...

No issue with the Bushwatch fella, lovely bloke by all acocunts. Just says something when he is the go to guy for Get Reading. Says a lot about them.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 12:15

Yeah, can't disagree with that tbf

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jan 2018 12:15

It's that time of year again when the "cool school" all come out to bash a bloke who is doing no harm to anyone, bit of fun profile and he is actually a decent man to be fair.

Same applies to Low who has improved ten fold since the beginning of last year, but hey its cool to bash.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Jan 2018 12:18

I'm allowed to have an opinion. I'm sorry it's a negative one. I haven't met the bloke so it's nothing personal - I'm saying his bush antics were never funny. I have nothing against Low. I have a lot of negative thought for most Reading fans.,

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2018 12:18

genome
Snowflake Royal
genome

I take your points but, if the team/manager takes that mentality (your bolded sentence) then they will never get out of this situation. If our first team can't beat a League Two side at home then the problems run deeper than just confidence.

I say play them. Any win would be good for them right now.

It's one game. And I'd use it to give them a rocket on performing better, work on stuff in training, and then something light-hearted, fun and team building later in the week.

It's all part of a psychological masterplan to get them out of their slump.

Instead, we'll see mostly the same players put in mostly the same turgid performances and regardless of result we'll see no change in the league. We'll still not knowif anyone else can step in, or another shape might work better, we'll still have the fans grumbling that x should obe given a chance etc.

But each to their own. There's no right answer at this point.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 12:20

paultheroyal It's that time of year again when the "cool school" all come out to bash a bloke who is doing no harm to anyone, bit of fun profile and he is actually a decent man to be fair.

Same applies to Low who has improved ten fold since the beginning of last year, but hey its cool to bash.

Nobody is bashing Bushwatch. It is good for the supporters and the club in my opinion.

Low on the other hand is a substandard and weak football journalist who is widely disliked by supporters, he lets us down. That said he is a good general reporter from memory. He has been put in the wrong job by a company desperate to save money which is why he got the job.
So it isn't entirely his fault as he has been thrown in but he is generally clueless when it comes to football, not sure how that can be disputed in all honesty.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 12:22

John Smith I'm allowed to have an opinion.

When will people realise this isn't a counter argument?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jan 2018 12:23

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal It's that time of year again when the "cool school" all come out to bash a bloke who is doing no harm to anyone, bit of fun profile and he is actually a decent man to be fair.

Nobody is bashing Bushwatch. It is good for the supporters and the club in my opinion.

Low on the other hand is a substandard and weak football journalist who is widely disliked by supporters, he lets us down. That said he is a good general reporter from memory. He has been put in the wrong job by a company desperate to save money which is why he got the job.
So it isn't entirely his fault as he has been thrown in but he is generally clueless when it comes to football, not sure how that can be disputed in all honesty.

I would dispute that - he had a very iffy start but he has become the better person and better reporter after the appalling abuse he took from members of this board and from Twitter. Totally uncalled for. He has risen above that and is now doing a decent job. This January transfer window will be a good test in whether he has built up any contacts for some scoops, scoops that Watts still occasionally receive and offers out.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 12:27

paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews

I would dispute that - he had a very iffy start but he has become the better person and better reporter after the appalling abuse he took from members of this board and from Twitter. Totally uncalled for. He has risen above that and is no doing a decent job. This January transfer window will be a good test in whether he has built up any contacts for some scoops, scoops that Watts still occasionally receive and offers out.

I do agree actually which contradicts myself when I called him the son of Sutcliffe. He does look a bit like him though tbf.

Like I said its not his fault entirely, wrong job for a good reporter of general news. If you flip it around the local news coverage has suffered greatly since he started doing just Reading FC stuff.

188 posts