MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

188 posts
User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6539
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2018 12:02

ImageImage

When : Tuesday 16th January. 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And so the massed Reading fan will huddle together in the expanse of a 24k seater stadium trying to keep warm and being entertained by another scintillating display of fast paced action packed dynamic football for another ritual slaughter.

But enough of Stevenage it's Reading I think most fans will want to win and seeing as the consensus of opinion is that most will be "watching" the game on radio and by way of this thread let's get started.

After the 0-0 cr@pfest last week in darkest Stevenage we will all be hoping it can't be as bad again and that the glamour of a trip to Carlisle or Sheffield on Saturday week will bring the very best out of everyone concerned.

Fresh from the exciting 0-0 on Saturday Reading will once again be looking to get that strange round thing to hit the back of the mesh like structure that is strung between the two white sticky up things at each end of the ground. They certainly seem to be learning as the game at Hull saw the team trying to kick in the opposite direction to their opponents which is quite a jump from what we mostly saw at the Lamex.

We already expect that Swift and McShane will be missing from the team through injury so I would expect Ilori and Moore to be at the back with Richards and Gunter alongside. But then this is Jaap Stam so I expect any number of cockeyed permutations will be paradiddling through his mind in the next day or so before alighting on something deeply unimpressive that will probably win the day comfortably - only to be all changed again for the visit of Brentford.

As to Stevenage, well they grabbed a very late equaliser at Morecambe on Saturday from their defender Fraser Franks so will probably be as up for this game as possible

Referee

West Sussex has the honour of providing the services of American comic, and former English cricketer, Tim Robinson for this encounter

Image

Previously

30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

Three FA Cup games, all in recent seasons. Stevenage beat Reading at the Mad Stad a year after Reading beat them at the Lamex. Then there was the 0-0 a week or so ago which puts us all here. So that’s one win, one draw and a goal aggregate of 2 each

How to follow the game

  1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area (although as this is a cup game it may well be live on the 'net as well))

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: 19 Feb 2008 12:18

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by windermereROYAL » 14 Jan 2018 18:46

Team should be something like this.

Jaakola

Gunter.
Ilori
Moore
Richards.

Evans
Kelly
Edwards.

Popa
Bodvarsson
Barrow.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 21001
Joined: 15 Apr 2004 19:49
Location: A Hicks Hoof from Coley Park

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2018 18:57

✔️ but I guess that, that is exclusive to us...not Jaap (obvs)

User avatar
Armadillo Roadkill
Member
Posts: 721
Joined: 03 Nov 2007 20:47
Location: In a zone of great calm

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Jan 2018 19:36

It's saying something when the preview on this thread provides more entertainment than the match itself is likely to do.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2852
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2018 19:51

Let's face it, progressing in the cup isn't a big deal for us right now, so I'd be tempted to try some heavy experimentation and rotation to try to see if anyone currently on the fringes is ready to step up and maybe test a different shape.

....................Jaakkola
.............Ilori, Moore, Osho
Gunter.......Holsgrove......Richards
...............Bacuna....Evans
............Bodvarsson..Loader

Mannone, Blackett, Clement, Popa, Kelly, Kermorgant, Barrow

Or something like that... not sure who is on loan, who is injured and who isn't, but the likes of Andresson, East, Frost, Smith, plus those above and so on should be in the mix for about three Academy places in the starting eleven. Bring a bit of youthful exuberance, energy, determination etc. Still pretty experienced spine.


Barney
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 06 May 2005 14:04

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Barney » 14 Jan 2018 21:53

I REALLY don't care what other folks think about this game, but I am looking forward to going to this.

Most of the depressing souls will stay away, getting a beer will be easy, chance of seeing us reaching the fourth round, 10 quid a pop.

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 16974
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by leon » 14 Jan 2018 22:32

Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

Play your best team, progress, try and build some confidence.

Playing an experimental side and getting dicked by fcuking Stevenage (Stevenage? Have they even got a train station?) at home FFS would be beyond stupidity.

Don’t do that Stam. Not even I think you’re that arrogant.

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2852
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2018 22:35

leon wrote:Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

Play your best team, progress, try and build some confidence.

Playing an experimental side and getting dicked by fcuking Stevenage (Stevenage? Have they even got a train station?) at home FFS would be beyond stupidity.

Don’t do that Stam. Not even I think you’re that arrogant.

:|

User avatar
leon
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 16974
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 09:18
Location: Hips, Lips, Tits, Power

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by leon » 14 Jan 2018 22:43

Snowflake Royal wrote:
leon wrote:Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

Play your best team, progress, try and build some confidence.

Playing an experimental side and getting dicked by fcuking Stevenage (Stevenage? Have they even got a train station?) at home FFS would be beyond stupidity.

Don’t do that Stam. Not even I think you’re that arrogant.

:|


That’s a yes then? Great news. Clearly big hitters.

That will make it a bit easier to take.


User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2345
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by John Smith » 14 Jan 2018 23:05

Barney wrote:I REALLY don't care what other folks think about this game, but I am looking forward to going to this.

Most of the depressing souls will stay away, getting a beer will be easy, chance of seeing us reaching the fourth round, 10 quid a pop.

Big +1 to this

User avatar
JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo
Member
Posts: 550
Joined: 12 Apr 2005 14:42
Location: Moe's

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 15 Jan 2018 00:13

thanks

User avatar
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5346
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2018 05:15

Snowflake Royal wrote:
leon wrote:Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

Play your best team, progress, try and build some confidence.

Playing an experimental side and getting dicked by fcuking Stevenage (Stevenage? Have they even got a train station?) at home FFS would be beyond stupidity.

Don’t do that Stam. Not even I think you’re that arrogant.

:|


Yeah come on leon. As reading fans we don't really have a right to act like this and everyone gets really upset when someone belittles "poor little reading".

Royality creeps In
Member
Posts: 501
Joined: 18 May 2014 19:35

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Royality creeps In » 15 Jan 2018 09:25

As a long time ST holder and someone who goes to every home game and a number of aways. ( including Stevenage)
This is the first game I can remember that I am not bothered about going.
I hope to muster up some enthusiasm to go Saturday.

Will the last person leaving turn the light off :shock:


User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18630
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 10:07

I'm going to this.

Why am I going to this?

muirinho
Member
Posts: 899
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by muirinho » 15 Jan 2018 10:11

genome wrote:I'm going to this.

Why am I going to this?


Are you me?

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18630
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 10:13

Snowflake Royal wrote:Let's face it, progressing in the cup isn't a big deal for us right now, so I'd be tempted to try some heavy experimentation and rotation to try to see if anyone currently on the fringes is ready to step up and maybe test a different shape.

....................Jaakkola
.............Ilori, Moore, Osho
Gunter.......Holsgrove......Richards
...............Bacuna....Evans
............Bodvarsson..Loader

Mannone, Blackett, Clement, Popa, Kelly, Kermorgant, Barrow

Or something like that... not sure who is on loan, who is injured and who isn't, but the likes of Andresson, East, Frost, Smith, plus those above and so on should be in the mix for about three Academy places in the starting eleven. Bring a bit of youthful exuberance, energy, determination etc. Still pretty experienced spine.


The first team sorely needs a win - he should play them all.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18630
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 10:15

Except maybe Popa, he deserves a run out.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5322
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Hound » 15 Jan 2018 10:23

First home game I could go to which I’m not this season. Will be there Saturday to see us humped by Brentford though

Anyway we need a win. Stam badly needs a win. Despite the public statements, if we go out I think he will have one foot out the door

Would play a strong team along the lines of

Anssi
Gunter Ilori Moore Richards
Bacuna Evans
Edwards/Clement
Barrow Dadi Popa

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1391
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 10:41

Hound wrote:First home game I could go to which I’m not this season. Will be there Saturday to see us humped by Brentford though

Anyway we need a win. Stam badly needs a win. Despite the public statements, if we go out I think he will have one foot out the door

Would play a strong team along the lines of

Anssi
Gunter Ilori Moore Richards
Bacuna Evans
Edwards/Clement
Barrow Dadi Popa


Liam Moore is the most interesting selection choice tomorrow. I am 99% sure if McShane was fit Moore would have been rested fuelling the theory about a potential buying club not wanting him cup tied. I think if Blackett starts ahead of him alarm bells will ring for sure.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 18630
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 11:15

Just noticed they aren't opening the North or Upper West for this, and it's unreserved seating

188 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

It is currently 26 May 2018 01:45