188 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2018 11:02

When : Tuesday 16th January. 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And so the massed Reading fan will huddle together in the expanse of a 24k seater stadium trying to keep warm and being entertained by another scintillating display of fast paced action packed dynamic football for another ritual slaughter.

But enough of Stevenage it's Reading I think most fans will want to win and seeing as the consensus of opinion is that most will be "watching" the game on radio and by way of this thread let's get started.

After the 0-0 cr@pfest last week in darkest Stevenage we will all be hoping it can't be as bad again and that the glamour of a trip to Carlisle or Sheffield on Saturday week will bring the very best out of everyone concerned.

Fresh from the exciting 0-0 on Saturday Reading will once again be looking to get that strange round thing to hit the back of the mesh like structure that is strung between the two white sticky up things at each end of the ground. They certainly seem to be learning as the game at Hull saw the team trying to kick in the opposite direction to their opponents which is quite a jump from what we mostly saw at the Lamex.

We already expect that Swift and McShane will be missing from the team through injury so I would expect Ilori and Moore to be at the back with Richards and Gunter alongside. But then this is Jaap Stam so I expect any number of cockeyed permutations will be paradiddling through his mind in the next day or so before alighting on something deeply unimpressive that will probably win the day comfortably - only to be all changed again for the visit of Brentford.

As to Stevenage, well they grabbed a very late equaliser at Morecambe on Saturday from their defender Fraser Franks so will probably be as up for this game as possible

Referee

West Sussex has the honour of providing the services of American comic, and former English cricketer, Tim Robinson for this encounter

Previously

30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

Three FA Cup games, all in recent seasons. Stevenage beat Reading at the Mad Stad a year after Reading beat them at the Lamex. Then there was the 0-0 a week or so ago which puts us all here. So that’s one win, one draw and a goal aggregate of 2 each

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area (although as this is a cup game it may well be live on the 'net as well))

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by windermereROYAL » 14 Jan 2018 17:46

Team should be something like this.

Jaakola

Gunter.
Ilori
Moore
Richards.

Evans
Kelly
Edwards.

Popa
Bodvarsson
Barrow.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Stevenage (h) sponsored by it all changing for the better at last

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Jan 2018 17:57

✔️ but I guess that, that is exclusive to us...not Jaap (obvs)

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Jan 2018 18:36

It's saying something when the preview on this thread provides more entertainment than the match itself is likely to do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2018 18:51

Let's face it, progressing in the cup isn't a big deal for us right now, so I'd be tempted to try some heavy experimentation and rotation to try to see if anyone currently on the fringes is ready to step up and maybe test a different shape.

....................Jaakkola
.............Ilori, Moore, Osho
Gunter.......Holsgrove......Richards
...............Bacuna....Evans
............Bodvarsson..Loader

Mannone, Blackett, Clement, Popa, Kelly, Kermorgant, Barrow

Or something like that... not sure who is on loan, who is injured and who isn't, but the likes of Andresson, East, Frost, Smith, plus those above and so on should be in the mix for about three Academy places in the starting eleven. Bring a bit of youthful exuberance, energy, determination etc. Still pretty experienced spine.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 14 Jan 2018 20:53

I REALLY don't care what other folks think about this game, but I am looking forward to going to this.

Most of the depressing souls will stay away, getting a beer will be easy, chance of seeing us reaching the fourth round, 10 quid a pop.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Jan 2018 21:32

Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

Play your best team, progress, try and build some confidence.

Playing an experimental side and getting dicked by fcuking Stevenage (Stevenage? Have they even got a train station?) at home FFS would be beyond stupidity.

Don’t do that Stam. Not even I think you’re that arrogant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2018 21:35

leon Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

Playing an experimental side and getting dicked by fcuking Stevenage (Stevenage? Have they even got a train station?) at home FFS would be beyond stupidity.

:|

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Jan 2018 21:43

Snowflake Royal
leon Stam needs the FA cup. Our season is utterly shit, even a little cup run improves the atmosphere.

That’s a yes then? Great news. Clearly big hitters.

That will make it a bit easier to take.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Jan 2018 22:05

Barney I REALLY don't care what other folks think about this game, but I am looking forward to going to this.

Most of the depressing souls will stay away, getting a beer will be easy, chance of seeing us reaching the fourth round, 10 quid a pop.

Big +1 to this

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 14 Jan 2018 23:13

thanks

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Jan 2018 04:15

Snowflake Royal

Yeah come on leon. As reading fans we don't really have a right to act like this and everyone gets really upset when someone belittles "poor little reading".

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 15 Jan 2018 08:25

As a long time ST holder and someone who goes to every home game and a number of aways. ( including Stevenage)
This is the first game I can remember that I am not bothered about going.
I hope to muster up some enthusiasm to go Saturday.

Will the last person leaving turn the light off :shock:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 09:07

I'm going to this.

Why am I going to this?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Jan 2018 09:11

genome I'm going to this.

Why am I going to this?

Are you me?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 09:13

Snowflake Royal Let's face it, progressing in the cup isn't a big deal for us right now, so I'd be tempted to try some heavy experimentation and rotation to try to see if anyone currently on the fringes is ready to step up and maybe test a different shape.

....................Jaakkola
.............Ilori, Moore, Osho
Gunter.......Holsgrove......Richards
...............Bacuna....Evans
............Bodvarsson..Loader

Mannone, Blackett, Clement, Popa, Kelly, Kermorgant, Barrow

Or something like that... not sure who is on loan, who is injured and who isn't, but the likes of Andresson, East, Frost, Smith, plus those above and so on should be in the mix for about three Academy places in the starting eleven. Bring a bit of youthful exuberance, energy, determination etc. Still pretty experienced spine.

The first team sorely needs a win - he should play them all.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 09:15

Except maybe Popa, he deserves a run out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Jan 2018 09:23

First home game I could go to which I’m not this season. Will be there Saturday to see us humped by Brentford though

Anyway we need a win. Stam badly needs a win. Despite the public statements, if we go out I think he will have one foot out the door

Would play a strong team along the lines of

Anssi
Gunter Ilori Moore Richards
Bacuna Evans
Edwards/Clement
Barrow Dadi Popa

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2018 09:41

Hound First home game I could go to which I’m not this season. Will be there Saturday to see us humped by Brentford though

Anyway we need a win. Stam badly needs a win. Despite the public statements, if we go out I think he will have one foot out the door

Would play a strong team along the lines of

Anssi
Gunter Ilori Moore Richards
Bacuna Evans
Edwards/Clement
Barrow Dadi Popa

Liam Moore is the most interesting selection choice tomorrow. I am 99% sure if McShane was fit Moore would have been rested fuelling the theory about a potential buying club not wanting him cup tied. I think if Blackett starts ahead of him alarm bells will ring for sure.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Jan 2018 10:15

Just noticed they aren't opening the North or Upper West for this, and it's unreserved seating

188 posts