ouch

understandable
but still very bad

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game Stevenage

by leon » 17 Jan 2018 10:44

BR0B0T
Silver Fox How many goals would people have needed for last night to be considered a success? Sure the first 30 minutes seems to have been a bit sketchy but as that's only a third of the game it's not how you judge the whole. People say "a better team would have punished us" well, who's to say Jakkola wouldn't have been equal to the task if this imaginary better team had made more of their chances? It's a good result with a couple of cracking goals that I hope will give the players a bit of confidence going into the remaining league games, hopefully with JDB leading the line

also not a fan of this argument

Indeed, however you could say based on the evidence of this season better teams have very regularly been beating us and that this performance does nothing to suggest that trend will not continue.

billybraggsbeard

by billybraggsbeard » 17 Jan 2018 11:05

We had a couple of Stevenage fans behind us in the East stand one of whom used to play for Ipswich, not sure who he was but am looking up. Anyway was having a discussion with them about Blackett who they thought looked absolute class and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting in our team regularly, I explained that he doesn't play like that all the time and that against better opposition he gets closed down quicker and always wants that extra couple of seconds on the ball , plus the fact that Stam has been playing him at fullback, when as last night showed he is much better at c/half. Good overall performance by the team, liked Ilori, Blackett, Gunts & Kelly in 2nd half, and of course the Bod , please start him Saturday

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Jan 2018 11:19

billybraggsbeard We had a couple of Stevenage fans behind us in the East stand one of whom used to play for Ipswich, not sure who he was but am looking up. Anyway was having a discussion with them about Blackett who they thought looked absolute class and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting in our team regularly, I explained that he doesn't play like that all the time and that against better opposition he gets closed down quicker and always wants that extra couple of seconds on the ball , plus the fact that Stam has been playing him at fullback, when as last night showed he is much better at c/half. Good overall performance by the team, liked Ilori, Blackett, Gunts & Kelly in 2nd half, and of course the Bod , please start him Saturday

Why didn't you chin them and tell them to oxf*rd off to the away stand?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Jan 2018 11:42

No Popa again, sat on the bench for 90 minutes. I really feel for this guy, what more does he need to do?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 11:48

Actually wouldn’t be unhappy to see Blackett playing regularly at CB alongside Moore and/or Ilori

They are all far better than McShane tbh

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jan 2018 12:08

Blackett's ideal position.

LCB (3 at the back) > CB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LB

Have been saying it for donkeys.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 17 Jan 2018 12:16

Jonathan Low wrote:
There were fewer than 5,000 fans at the Mad Stad - the lowest ever for a FA Cup game.
The official attendance was 4,986 with 608 away supporters but the ones who did stay away may be now regretting their decision.

Really?? You 'avin a larf, mate? :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 12:20

CountryRoyal Blackett's ideal position.

LCB (3 at the back) > CB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LB

Have been saying it for donkeys.

]
its not exactly a new or visionary opinion to have tbf. was pretty obvious last year, where him and Obita made a good left side

I think he could do it in a 2 at the back as well though

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Jan 2018 12:55

excluding LDV games, I can only find 2 games with a lower attendance than last night. They were both League Cup 1st Round matches when we were a division lower.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Jan 2018 14:02

billybraggsbeard We had a couple of Stevenage fans behind us in the East stand one of whom used to play for Ipswich, not sure who he was but am looking up. Anyway was having a discussion with them about Blackett who they thought looked absolute class and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting in our team regularly, I explained that he doesn't play like that all the time and that against better opposition he gets closed down quicker and always wants that extra couple of seconds on the ball , plus the fact that Stam has been playing him at fullback, when as last night showed he is much better at c/half. Good overall performance by the team, liked Ilori, Blackett, Gunts & Kelly in 2nd half, and of course the Bod , please start him Saturday

blackett always looks better at CB imo

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jan 2018 17:30

Sat in the corner of the Lower West looking diagonally across the pitch. The kit clash certainly confused us. Very difficult to tell who was who in the first half. Didn't help the game that was a certainty.

Blackett did play well. Though had his usual momentary lapse of concentration. Being out muscled on the corner of the box. When all he had to do was kick the ball into touch. Put in a couple of crunching but fair tackles. Also looks good pushing forward with the ball out of defence. Technically a good player. Just needs to apply himself.

For a make shift side performance was ok. A win is a win when confidence is low.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2018 20:04

Just seen the goals.

Can we play a fit Watson at RB, or buy a new one and just play Gunter at LB forever more? He's twice the left back he is right back.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jan 2018 20:33

The Cap
Jonathan Low wrote:
There were fewer than 5,000 fans at the Mad Stad - the lowest ever for a FA Cup game.
The official attendance was 4,986 with 608 away supporters but the ones who did stay away may be now regretting their decision.

Really?? You 'avin a larf, mate? :lol:

Like you I also find this comment mystifying and yet comical.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Jan 2018 03:34

Snowflake Royal Just seen the goals.

Can we play a fit Watson at RB, or buy a new one and just play Gunter at LB forever more? He's twice the left back he is right back.

I thought so the moment I saw him at Leeds. I think we have a decent record with him at left back this season. But what about Omar?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2018 07:15

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal Just seen the goals.

I thought so the moment I saw him at Leeds. I think we have a decent record with him at left back this season. But what about Omar?

Anything that involves Gunter going back to being an insipid right back is bad imo.

Without Watson fit and no new rb Richards has to play. I'd be quite happy to sell Gunter and play Richards and Watson.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 08:10

Gunter's been one of our best players this season (admittedly not a high bar). Watson hasn't played for the first team for a year, and even then only had a few games

There's a long way to go to see Watson as a replacement for Gunter. Gunter on the right, and Richards on the left is the way to go at the moment

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Jan 2018 08:17

We could do a hell of a lot worse than Chris Gunter.

I can see Chris Coleman coming in for him in the summer when he rebuilds that Sunderland squad (if he's still there by then).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 08:27

Old Man Andrews We could do a hell of a lot worse than Chris Gunter.

I can see Chris Coleman coming in for him in the summer when he rebuilds that Sunderland squad (if he's still there by then).

not sure he will want to drop to the 1st division though

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Jan 2018 08:37

Hound
Old Man Andrews We could do a hell of a lot worse than Chris Gunter.

not sure he will want to drop to the 1st division though

I think they will cling on by the skin on their teeth. Absolutely bizarre that Coleman went there though. One of the weirdest managerial moves I have seen in recent years.