Back from the game Stevenage

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game Stevenage

by genome » 18 Jan 2018 08:47

Hound
Old Man Andrews We could do a hell of a lot worse than Chris Gunter.

I can see Chris Coleman coming in for him in the summer when he rebuilds that Sunderland squad (if he's still there by then).

not sure he will want to drop to the 1st division though

Depends what division we're in :P

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 18 Jan 2018 17:30

Old Man Andrews There were definitely positives last night. I was sat behind the dugout for the first time in Stam's era and got to see him communicating with the players etc. I think he might be as frustrated as we are with some of the players based on his reactions.

I purposely did this a few times last season when I didn't have a season ticket and noticed exactly the same either when a player doesn't get in the right position or doesn't see a pass.

Old Man Andrews Aluko was so, so poor the whole game, I have completely run out of patience with the guy. The club should do all they can to flog him, not a Reading player.

I'm not saying that he's above criticism and can understand why people may be calling time on him but we may not have that option though given the reported price we got him for. I'll go on record that I for one was very happy when he signed for us, although I did :shock: at the price, so I'm probably more inclined to give him time. It may be that he's trying too hard and putting pressure on himself to live up to the fee or that he needs to feel the love from the fans that so far, probably understandably, hasn't been forthcoming.

by If you still hate Futcher » 18 Jan 2018 17:39

Hound
CountryRoyal Blackett's ideal position.

LCB (3 at the back) > CB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LB

Have been saying it for donkeys.

]
its not exactly a new or visionary opinion to have tbf. was pretty obvious last year, where him and Obita made a good left side

I think he could do it in a 2 at the back as well though

Whether at CB, LB or LWB, I would still be worried about him switching off and losing his man at set pieces which I think is the main reason he's not a regular starter

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2018 18:06

Hound Gunter's been one of our best players this season (admittedly not a high bar). Watson hasn't played for the first team for a year, and even then only had a few games

There's a long way to go to see Watson as a replacement for Gunter. Gunter on the right, and Richards on the left is the way to go at the moment

This sensible. But I can't oxf*rd stand Gunter at right back. So I don't care.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 18:29

Snowflake Royal
Hound Gunter's been one of our best players this season (admittedly not a high bar). Watson hasn't played for the first team for a year, and even then only had a few games

There's a long way to go to see Watson as a replacement for Gunter. Gunter on the right, and Richards on the left is the way to go at the moment

This sensible. But I can't oxf*rd stand Gunter at right back. So I don't care.

Really? You never mentioned it...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Jan 2018 19:27

Snowflake Royal I'd be quite happy to sell Gunter and play Richards and Watson.

Goal! Reading 1, Stevenage 0. Jón Dadi Bödvarsson (Reading) right footed shot from very close range to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Chris Gunter.

Goal! Reading 2, Stevenage 0. Jón Dadi Bödvarsson (Reading) header from the centre of the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Chris Gunter.

Goal! Reading 3, Stevenage 0. Jón Dadi Bödvarsson (Reading) right footed shot from very close range to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Chris Gunter.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2018 21:23

Platypuss

Goal! Reading 1, Stevenage 0. Jón Dadi Bödvarsson (Reading) right footed shot from very close range to the bottom right corner. Assisted by Chris Gunter.

Goal! Reading 2, Stevenage 0. Jón Dadi Bödvarsson (Reading) header from the centre of the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Chris Gunter.

Goal! Reading 3, Stevenage 0. Jón Dadi Bödvarsson (Reading) right footed shot from very close range to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Chris Gunter.

I refer you to my previous post.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jan 2018 22:07

Snowflake Royal
Platypuss

So, John Dadi gets a hat-trick and rightfully there are calls for him to start on Saturday, whereas Gunter gets a hat-trick of assists, oxf*rd it, sell him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Jan 2018 22:12

Old Man Andrews There were definitely positives last night. I was sat behind the dugout for the first time in Stam's era and got to see him communicating with the players etc. I think he might be as frustrated as we are with some of the players based on his reactions.

I purposely did this a few times last season when I didn't have a season ticket and noticed exactly the same either when a player doesn't get in the right position or doesn't see a pass.

Old Man Andrews Aluko was so, so poor the whole game, I have completely run out of patience with the guy. The club should do all they can to flog him, not a Reading player.

I'm not saying that he's above criticism and can understand why people may be calling time on him but we may not have that option though given the reported price we got him for. I'll go on record that I for one was very happy when he signed for us, although I did :shock: at the price, so I'm probably more inclined to give him time. It may be that he's trying too hard and putting pressure on himself to live up to the fee or that he needs to feel the love from the fans that so far, probably understandably, hasn't been forthcoming.

That's about how I feel, too. Assuming we stay up, which I think we will, I'd be ok with him next season. They are going to be paying him either way, so I'd be interested to see how things go. I didn't really expect to make playoffs again two years straight in Champ anyway.

You are right, though, he does look a bit tired and drawn, lost a bit of weight, etc, so maybe it is the pressure taking a toll. Hey, it's not a gig for everyone, and maybe he is realizing it, given it's his first stab at it. I'd have stayed on the golf course, if it were me.:)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2018 10:45

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal
Platypuss

So, John Dadi gets a hat-trick and rightfully there are calls for him to start on Saturday, whereas Gunter gets a hat-trick of assists, oxf*rd it, sell him.

I've praised Gunter for his performance. He's in the team selections I've suggested.

One great performance, even many good performances at left back, don't disappear years of insipid performances at right back.

It's a complete misrepresentation to suggest that I've said he should be sold because of his three assists. I'm also just one person.

And I've never claimed to be particularly impartial or balanced about Gunter. Get a grip.

And my reply to platy and Hound (? ) was tongue in cheek.

Calm down to a panic mate.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jan 2018 12:29

years of insipid performances at right back.

:| :roll: :| :roll: :lol: :roll: :| :roll: :|